Castigators WIP Thread (5/7/17 - Giveaway!)

i agree with Kraut, some more concise info will help alot for head choice!

as for my personal taste of weapons, a claw like power fist pointing could look REALLY cool, but if it's ranged weapons you want, then i'd go for either a plasma gun/pistol with some sort of power cabling running the length of his arm and feeding into his backpack, sorta like the limited edition 25 year model for the crimson fists...

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/3/26/346311_md-25th%20Anniversary,%20Imperial%20Fists,%20Space%20Marines.jpg

or a good 'ole storm bolter if you want a guy that looks like he can spit dakka down range. :happy.:

I also personally prefer a beefier chainsword, but the one you have now is good for BA, so if you like that one, stick with it, otherwise i'd say find one of the bulkier double bladed ones, because they're really cool. :wink:

Just reposted from last page: 

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Anteas5_zpsd70b12f2.png

Holstered pistol with a right pointing arm would be a cool emulator of the previous 28mm version of Anteas.

I'm impressed you still remember - I had considered posting him, but decided against it. Now that you've mentioned it (and because it links to my response to Kraut) I will go find him...

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/AnteasOriginal_zps136b6466.png

This was the body of one of the metal Veterans of the time (no Finecast!) and the head from a Games Day model - the one with the two-handed hammer. I liked the head to a degree - though I'm not sure Space Marines use hair gel - but it would probably be a little too small for the figure I want to make now. I did think it conveyed a sense of youth but also purpose. I'm not convinced about using a pointing hand on this true-scaled figure, though it does work as a sort of Emperor's Champion-esque character, seeking out and dispatching the champions of the enemy. 

That said, looking at this figure makes me wonder whether there are elements that could be incorporated into this new interpretation of the character - the aquila at the stomach could be done on the Abaddon model - I wonder about the jewel at the centre of the chest, but I'm not sure. 

I'd love to weigh in regarding the head, although I think we need a bit more information in order to be able to help:

- do you want a helmeted or bare head or would you be open to either option?

- is he a relatively young commander or a grizzled veteran?

- is he an angry guy or someone who keeps his cool?

- are any heads out of the question because you hate a certain hairstyle, don't like rebreathers or what have you?

Based on those factors, I'll glady make a suggestion :wink: Regarding the pose, I think it really works pretty well as is. For the other arm, my gut feeling says: either go with a pointy hand and an "I am coming for you!" look or give him a suitably ornate pistol or bolter held at the same angle as the sword (I'm just a sucker for the retro "show your weapons" look :wink: ).

Hey, thanks for the post. 

I would like to use a bare head, wherever possible. In this case, I think it helps the character have character. If I can fit a helmet on the belt as well, I will certainly look to do so, though I'm not sure it will be possible on this figure. I would prefer not to use rebreathers and the like, opting to show the Captain's face off.

I see Anteas as a relatively young Captain, relatively new to his post. Of course, that's young by transhuman Astartes standards. I don't see him as a frothing lunatic, but a decisive and capable fighter.  I did always like this picture (of Fulgrim?) from the Collected Visions. It seems that the only head that could be somewhat similar is the shouting Sternguard head that I used for my Scythe of the Emperor marine (this one, or this one.) 

i agree with Kraut, some more concise info will help alot for head choice!

as for my personal taste of weapons, a claw like power fist pointing could look REALLY cool, but if it's ranged weapons you want, then i'd go for either a plasma gun/pistol with some sort of power cabling running the length of his arm and feeding into his backpack, sorta like the limited edition 25 year model for the crimson fists...

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/3/26/346311_md-25th%20Anniversary,%20Imperial%20Fists,%20Space%20Marines.jpg

or a good 'ole storm bolter if you want a guy that looks like he can spit dakka down range. :happy.:

I also personally prefer a beefier chainsword, but the one you have now is good for BA, so if you like that one, stick with it, otherwise i'd say find one of the bulkier double bladed ones, because they're really cool. :wink:

I guess I tend towards a knightly aesthetic with the Astartes. Whilst there are Captains of the Castigators who use power fists, hulking axes and the like, I think as a line Captain, I would prefer Anteas to be wielding a sword. Whether that's sword + pistol or sword + shield, I don't know. In earlier fluff, I had said that the Castigators' Fifth Company were named "Shield Bearers" - but I don't know that that necessary requires him to have a shield. (Instead, the Company Champion might have a symbolic one?) 

I have, in the past, liked the idea that Captains are relatively simple, carrying a bolt pistol and chainsword, though I don't know if that's a little too plain. And, if you consider that I'm not going to have thousands of points of Castigators (or hundreds of models) it is a nice opportunity to give him a power sword, especially when squad sergeants will have chainswords. 

I do have a number of the fancy Blood Angels chainswords with scrollwork and the like, though I feel like they look a little small on true-scale figures. Apologist's Ultramarines make them look good, but I'm a little unsure on mine. 

I'm a little unsure when it comes to choosing a suitable sword for Anteas. I do have the Assault on Black Reach Captain sword, but perhaps I could consider terminator power sword or the Company Champion sword, the Grey Knight force sword or some other blade that might be a little more interesting. I don't really have a sense of what the Sword of Sorrows (Sorrowsword?) might look like.

Edited by Commissar Molotov

I like it. A lot in fact. I wasn't too sure when you first explained the idea to me a while ago but now it's in the flesh I really like how he's coming together.

A few thoughts - 

- Keep the banner. Not sure what it is (might be the movement along with the cloak) but it works.

- Weapons - go with a Plasma Pistol and Power Sword. Given he's a Captain, regardless of age, give him some cool weapons. Not sure on which plasma i'd use but the Black Reach power sword is one of my favourite swords GW have done in a while. Need to get it on a Black Legionnaire at some point.

- Arms - Arms look best when they are mirroring the legs - a raised left leg and a lowered right arm. I'd get the Pistol in a raised left hand and the sword in a lowered right hand. The upraised pointing pistol would help reinforce the cloak and banner direction too.

I've got no real thoughts on a head yet, though the bare head in the recent Tactical Squad is nice.

I guess I tend towards a knightly aesthetic with the Astartes. Whilst there are Captains of the Castigators who use power fists, hulking axes and the like, I think as a line Captain, I would prefer Anteas to be wielding a sword. Whether that's sword + pistol or sword + shield, I don't know. In earlier fluff, I had said that the Castigators' Fifth Company were named "Shield Bearers" - but I don't know that that necessary requires him to have a shield. (Instead, the Company Champion might have a symbolic one?) 

I have, in the past, liked the idea that Captains are relatively simple, carrying a bolt pistol and chainsword, though I don't know if that's a little too plain. And, if you consider that I'm not going to have thousands of points of Castigators (or hundreds of models) it is a nice opportunity to give him a power sword, especially when squad sergeants will have chainswords. 

I do have a number of the fancy Blood Angels chainswords with scrollwork and the like, though I feel like they look a little small on true-scale figures. Apologist's Ultramarines make them look good, but I'm a little unsure on mine. 

I'm a little unsure when it comes to choosing a suitable sword for Anteas. I do have the Assault on Black Reach Captain sword, but perhaps I could consider terminator power sword or the Company Champion sword, the Grey Knight force sword or some other blade that might be a little more interesting. I don't really have a sense of what the Sword of Sorrows (Sorrowsword?) might look like.

Fair enough, if it's a knight style you're going for, then there are plenty of different options out there. again, throwing in personal preference, i like exotic swords if i go with them, the GW lord of the rings witch king model has a VERY cool flaming sword, but that'd be quite difficult to get ones' hands on....

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/The-Witch-king-of-Angmar-Ringwraith

if you're into the regular marine swords, than a good and simple power gladius from the Forgeworld MKIV power weapons set is something to also consider, but if it's constrained to the ones you pointed out, i'd pick the Grey Knights' sword, it has a wonderful aesthetic to it.  :laugh.: 

size wise, you could alwasy splice 2 chainswords together... :happy.:

pistols..... i find lacking punch, so i rarely give them to my commanders if possible, something with more punch is preferable for your leaders, but stick to plasma if it's whatchya want, still think a power cable or 2 would look way cool running to his pack from the side of the gun.

that's just me, it's ultimately up to you, as usual! :biggrin.:

Hey, thanks for the post. 

I would like to use a bare head, wherever possible. In this case, I think it helps the character have character. If I can fit a helmet on the belt as well, I will certainly look to do so, though I'm not sure it will be possible on this figure. I would prefer not to use rebreathers and the like, opting to show the Captain's face off.

I see Anteas as a relatively young Captain, relatively new to his post. Of course, that's young by transhuman Astartes standards. I don't see him as a frothing lunatic, but a decisive and capable fighter.  I did always like this picture (of Fulgrim?) from the Collected Visions. It seems that the only head that could be somewhat similar is the shouting Sternguard head that I used for my Scythe of the Emperor marine (this one, or this one.)

That does indeed make the task a lot easier -- thanks for the additional input ;)

Good call on using a bare head, too. I know many people hate them for being unrealistic, but I think bare heads are the way to go in 99 out of 100 cases if you want to imbue your model with a bit of character.

Anyway, the heads I would recommend actually boil down to four choices:

1. The safe and somewhat boring choice: Using this head from the DA veterans. Very loyalist, rather young, very Guilliman.

2. This head from the Vanguard kit. I love the arrogance in the expression, although it may not be what you are looking for. Still an excellent piece.

3. I'll also suggest this head from the Sternguard kit, simply because I love the expression so much. Again, maybe not the kind of character you want.

4. Sursprisingly, the head I think would be closest to the artwork you linked to would be the head from the new Sanguinary Priest. Granted, it does have a bionic eye, but the hairstyle and expression are pretty close. It also looks far less silly than your average BA bare head.

Oh, and I think I wouldn't use either of the Sternguard heads you mentioned: They are great pieces, no doubt about that, but the features seem a bit too grotesque -- unless, of course, that is exactly the kind of face you want.

Anyway, hope this helps! :)

I like it. A lot in fact. I wasn't too sure when you first explained the idea to me a while ago but now it's in the flesh I really like how he's coming together.

A few thoughts - 

- Keep the banner. Not sure what it is (might be the movement along with the cloak) but it works.

- Weapons - go with a Plasma Pistol and Power Sword. Given he's a Captain, regardless of age, give him some cool weapons. Not sure on which plasma i'd use but the Black Reach power sword is one of my favourite swords GW have done in a while. Need to get it on a Black Legionnaire at some point.

- Arms - Arms look best when they are mirroring the legs - a raised left leg and a lowered right arm. I'd get the Pistol in a raised left hand and the sword in a lowered right hand. The upraised pointing pistol would help reinforce the cloak and banner direction too.

I've got no real thoughts on a head yet, though the bare head in the recent Tactical Squad is nice.

Hey mate, you know I always really appreciate your feedback - you are my chief co-conspirator at times! 

Pleased to know that I'm not completely bonkers by chopping up Abaddon - I think he's going pretty well at the moment. I do like the banner, but I think I need to angle him slightly to make sure it doesn't look silly - I've had a little trouble getting the front foot to rest perfectly on the rock, so I need to look at that. 

I'll try the Black Reach sword - sometimes I like it, and sometimes I feel it looks a little silly, but perhaps on a true-scale Marine it'll work better. It comes across as quite a blunt weapon, but perhaps it might look cool. 

That does indeed make the task a lot easier -- thanks for the additional input :wink:

Good call on using a bare head, too. I know many people hate them for being unrealistic, but I think bare heads are the way to go in 99 out of 100 cases if you want to imbue your model with a bit of character.

Anyway, the heads I would recommend actually boil down to four choices:

1. The safe and somewhat boring choice: Using this head from the DA veterans. Very loyalist, rather young, very Guilliman.

2. This head from the Vanguard kit. I love the arrogance in the expression, although it may not be what you are looking for. Still an excellent piece.

3. I'll also suggest this head from the Sternguard kit, simply because I love the expression so much. Again, maybe not the kind of character you want.

4. Sursprisingly, the head I think would be closest to the artwork you linked to would be the head from the new Sanguinary Priest. Granted, it does have a bionic eye, but the hairstyle and expression are pretty close. It also looks far less silly than your average BA bare head.

Oh, and I think I wouldn't use either of the Sternguard heads you mentioned: They are great pieces, no doubt about that, but the features seem a bit too grotesque -- unless, of course, that is exactly the kind of face you want.

Anyway, hope this helps! :smile.:

Thanks for the suggestions. 

I'm actually somewhat leaning towards a couple of heads from Forgeworld: 

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/FWHeads_zps51812772.png

In particular, the head in the middle here. The one on the left is very shouty and zealous (perhaps a little too much) but the one in the middle looks as though he might work well for a determined and resolute warrior. Of course, it relies upon me either ordering form Forgeworld again, or trying to pick it up on eBay. 

++++

In other news, I've embarked upon trying to commission Castigators shoulder pads to make the modelling of that darned Chapter symbol a little easier. I'll let you know how that goes...

++++

In other other news, I've contacted a few people about participating in this celebration and continuation of the Castigators. I always hoped for this to be a community project - to see people having a go at their interpretations of the Castigators. I'm pleased that quite a few people have volunteered their time and skills in making Castigators figures - I won't pre-empt people by announcing them before they're ready, but stay tuned - I hope that we'll see some special things over this year! 

Hmm, I do own that FW head on the right. It's nice, but a word of warning: It's TINY (seriously!) and may look a bit of on a truescale model. The one in the middle is great, though. If you should ever find yourself in need of that Sanguinary Priest head after all, just let me know.

So, another weekend and a little bit of work from me. 

I did a little bit more on Anteas (image here, because in many ways it's not substantively different from before) - I added plasticard into the collar of his armour to fill the gap. Although you can't see the cloak in this picture, I also added a plasticard splint to fill the gap and to make green-stuffing it a little easier. I cut every instance of the crux terminatus from his back-banner, although I slightly regret it now. I need to try to find something to balance the ends of the banner pole - whether that means using some plasticard rod, or if someone has a really good suggestion I can appropriate... 

I also fiddled with some random bits in my bitzbox to start making an appropriation of a Castigators Chaplain: 

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Chaplain2_zps4c291f23.jpg

I had another pose, but felt that it just wasn't dramatic enough. Obviously the thunder hammer will be replaced with a crozius, but I wanted a sense of what I was getting myself in for. When I sold off my Dark Vengeance bits I made sure to keep that plastic Chaplain head, because it's awesome (and far better than the standard plastic Chaplain's head.) 

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Characters_zps7f5dccbf.jpg

• 1 month later...

I sometimes get frustrated with my (lack of) progress. 

Work has been crushing me, and for the last two months I haven't really had the opportunity to do too much modelling. I've bought bits and bobs off eBay, but I still need more in order to make good progress. So, here you'll have more unpainted models with minimal progress. 

Still, I feel as though I'm on the verge of something slightly better. I just bought a squad of Tartaros marines off eBay and some other bits, so I hope to make a start on the first Castigators tactical squad soon. 

I've sourced some arms for Anteas, and I feel as though I'm making a little bit of progress with him. 

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Anteas%20Arms_zps4do9u44t.jpg

Funnily, I managed to accidentally find my first version of Anteas (which I thought was long lost) and it was good to put the two together - I do want to incorporate a few more touches to tie the two figures in together.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Anteas%20versions_zpsevgboory.jpg

I've got hold of Lufgt Huron's head, which I think is a suitable facsimile of the one on the right, and 

Sourcing shoulderpads that are appropriate for my plans has been a stumbling block. I am hoping I might be able to look into 3D-printing so that I can have the Chapter symbol on them, rather than trusting that it can be painted. 

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Chaplain%20Crozius_zps4irkuoid.jpg

The Chaplain has a head to his Crozius, but I have received feedback that the cabling ruins the effect somewhat - that it looks too much like a thunder hammer. I've got an arm from Lord Zhufor (with the skull as the elbow-pad) that could be used instead. Still, I would appreciate some feedback on it. I will also have to find a suitable haft for the crozius itself. (Brass rod?) 

Here you can see my army as it stands: 

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Army_zps2rseirxu.jpg

Captain Anteas and the Chaplain at the front, my first tactical squad in the middle and my Deathwatch kill-team (as it stands) at the back. I still need to work on torsos and arms, but I feel like the tactical squad are my next priority. I would like to get hold of the Terminator praetor to serve as the squad's Sergeant.

Still, I hope that I can put things together soon and have some more to show you. 

Hope you're all well, 

Mol. 

I think the chaplain crozius, the cabling doesn't detract from it at all in my mind-- you also used what is, in my opinion, the greatest crozius topper that gw has ever produced. Can we see the Zhufor shoulder on the chaplain for a visual? Any progress is good progress mol-- even if its small. Great to see some life back in the thread.

I am trying to build up a stockpile of appropriate bits so that I can continue this project. As I mentioned previously, the plan at the moment is: 

Deathwatch Kill-Team (x10)

Captain Anteas

Chaplain

Apothecary

Librarian (?) 

Standard Bearer (?) 

Tactical Squad (x10)

Tactical Squad (x10)

Dreadnought (Contemptor?) 

As a necessary consequence of the style I'm adopting whilst building up this project, I'm using a lot of Forgeworld Bits. I don't want this army to appear like a pre-heresy force, but for me many 40k Chapters are equipped with hodge-podge suits of Armour, sourced from many different bits and pieces. That might be because of the demands placed on a Chapter, or because older pieces of armour are treasured relics. 

One thing I mentioned previously was that one of the Tactical Squads would be armed with an old-style Heavy Bolter, as a throwback to my 2nd Edition days. I managed to get one off eBay: 

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Backbreaker01_zps0dbovbjl.jpg

I do love the Backbreaker Heavy Bolter, even if it's a little silly-looking. I think I should be able to bodge it together with a terminator arm so that I can have it on one of my Marines. This is something I've not seen in any other true-scale project, so I hope I'll be doing something relatively original. (Or, if someone has done it before, please show me so that I can copy it!) 

Also, here's a rather ugly picture of a prototype I'm building: 

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Monkeyballistic_zpsnoikfhwu.jpg

This is based on a really cool pre-heresy Iron Hand built by MonkeyBallistic. I'm interested in seeing how the Grey Knights kit can be used to produce a true-scale Marine. Cataphractii legs being used, and I will be getting a Mk III head to go with the model. I'm using a Grey Knights terminator torso back here, which is something different as well; I've flattened and squared it off, and with arms and a backpack I don't think it'll be noticeable. It's just something a little different and distinctive. 

Lastly, a link to something I've been thinking about - the trouble with true-scaling...

That's not an ugly picture at all Mol, I'm actually quite interested to see where that prototype will go, same with the "back breaker" heavy bolter.  I love the retro designs of the shoulder guns, as well as the forgeworld flamers-- it reminds me of the classic 2nd edition book covers.  Embracing the retro aesthetic, but using new parts-- best of both worlds.

I have a bit that might be useful for your project-- shoot me a PM when you get a chance.

Edited by The_Chaplain

Damn it man, have all of my likes. Well, the rest of what I have at least. I really want to see this project seen through to the end, no matter how long it will be. ^_^

"DIY? Isn't there a canon chapter that-"

I'm so used to your Castigators and their iconography existing that for a minute I actually forgot that rather than being an exemplary fan and poster, you actually created them yourself. That's definitely a sign of something, the solidity of your creation? Either way, these minis are looking really good so far.

The backbreaker is admittedly an increadibly silly gun design, but it's such an essential piece of 2E nostalgia. It's the right choice.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a little while, but I have managed to get hold of the Terminator Praetor from Forgeworld. I'm using it to put together Sergeant Tanthus, the Sergeant from one of the Castigators' tactical squads. 

The intention was for him to have a chainsword and bolt pistol - the hand with the grey knights sword and the arm with the thunder hammer are blu-tacked. 

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Tanthus01_zpsiynde8fh.jpg

The power armour helmet and backpack are just placeholders for the time being, though I do like the idea of using Sevatar's bare head

Great to see you back and working on the Castigators Mol!  I actually think that a helmet works for Tanthus just fine-- but maybe one out of the Sevrin loth honour guard which tend to be more angular and aesthetically interesting than a mk7 plastic head would be the way to go.  As cool as Sevatar's head is, it's so unique you might be better served for using it on a special character or a command squad member-- someone who is destined for close quarters combat more frequently than a tactical sergeant. 

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I am interested in the idea of keeping a power armoured helmet on the Sergeant, in order to add identifiers that sell it as power armour. Anything that differentiates it from Terminator armour is important, I think. Of course, whichever helm I do end up using will be interesting. 

I've been working a little bit more on Tanthus, using the bits I have to hand. I was stymied for a little because I considered for a while that he would be given a storm shield in his back hand, but I did think it would make sense for him to have a bolt pistol. I tried to give him a chainsword, but felt that it's a little small (which isn't great!)

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Tanthus01_zpsaufq4zxb.png

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Tanthus02_zpspfyxz109.png

When I have the bits, I will be giving him pouches and such around the waist. The big thing that I'm finding is that I need to take steps towards solving the shoulderpad issue.

Previously, a poster on the Ammobunker has sculpted this: 

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/danjones87/Strike%20Force%20Helwmar/TitusCastpadpainted_zpscff3636d.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have the skills to replicate it, but I will definitely be seeing what I can do to solve this issue! 

Thanks for the comment! 

I have played Starcraft before, but (after checking wikipedia) I don't think I've played it since around 1999, when Brood War was out. My friends and I used to play it during LAN parties (and that is a very long time ago!)

The symbol of the Sons of Korhal was definitely the inspiration - you can see below a comparison of the Castigators' symbol and that of the Sons of Korhal. You can see they are somewhat different - in my case because Captain Tiberius designed the version for the Castigators, making it slightly different. 

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigators/Castikorhal.png

Beyond the symbol, though, the Castigators take pretty much nothing from the Starcraft universe - which is perhaps a good thing!