BA Termie Libby - What to do?

Hope this is the right spot for this question!

So, I thought I might ask the collective hobby geniuses of the B&C their opinions on what I should do with a certain model. This Christmas I was given one of the new BA Librarians in Terminator armour. Now don't get me wrong, it's a gorgeous model - I just don't know what to do with it.

My collections include Exorcists (red marines) and Black Legion. Issue is, I already have a terminator Librarian (albeit unpainted!) for my Exorcists, and both Terminator- and power-armoured Sorcerers for my Legion. I'd only be using the model as a display piece, but I'm not really keen on painting another Librarian for red marines; that said, I'm not sure how easy it would be to shave off the BA symbols.

I'm not terribly afraid of conversion work, so as far as I can tell my options are three-fold:

1) Paint it stock, as a Blood Angel, though I'm not sue how keen I am on that.

2) Go through a perhaps lengthy conversion process in order to corrupt him to Chaos (perhaps make him a Blood Angels traitor?) Some cool fluff potential, but at risk of ruining some of the best aspects of the model.

3) Less lengthy conversion work, shave off BA symbols and paint him as another Chapter - question is then, which one? Exorcists? Or a one-off for another army?

If you've read this far, then thank you for doing so! thanks.gif I'd love to hear some thoughts/ideas!

Haven't had the model/sprue in my hands yet, but from looking at the picture in the store It seems most Librarian specific bits are connected to the torso piece. If you leave that off and put something else in there you could just use the body for something else.

A Chaplain for example (this might come in handy), or maybe just a Captain. Replace the axe head with something that would work for a crozius or a powerhammer and you are off to a good start. The only BA specific thing left on him are on his kneepad and pauldron, easily shaved off.

In any case his pauldron with the crux terminatus and the combi weapon arm look perfect for exorcists since they use the horned skull as chapter symbol. If you decide to use him as Black Legion model I'd keep those bits for the Exorcists army.

Thanks for your thoughts Durus - for some reason making him as anything other than a Librarian hadn't occurred to me. I think if I were to have a Terminator Chaplain I'd stick with the GW model just because I love it so much, but a Captain or even Chapter Master is a definite possibility.

I'll have to look through my bits when I get home but I'm liking this idea!

I picked the model up for some conversion work myself, and its not terribly difficult to remove the Blood Angels icons- the two on the torso front are the toughest (belt buckle icon and the chalice hanging against the tabard).  The axe head might present a bit of a problem, but I'm going to be changing that out to make it a force rod anyhow, so the axe bit of the staff will be lopped off.  After removing the chalice bit, however, you'll likely need to resculpt a little of the cloth on the tabard.
Other things I noticed:

-GW seems to have changed the formula of their plastic.  Things seem to shave much less easily with a hobby knife than they used to and require more sanding and filling.
-There were some casting errors on the model- tabard detail didn't wrap around every fold on the bottom, so I will have to sculpt that back in, and the rivets on the leg armor are either miscast or so fiddly small they're virtually useless and will have to be shaven off.

Happy to hear from someone who has experience with the model, considering how new it is I wasn't sure I'd get any responses from people who had done conversion work on it.

I picked the model up for some conversion work myself, and its not terribly difficult to remove the Blood Angels icons- the two on the torso front are the toughest (belt buckle icon and the chalice hanging against the tabard).

Yeah honestly these were the bits I was most worried about, hence why I'm tempted to convert him into a Captain. Glad to hear the rest of it isn't too bad though!

-There were some casting errors on the model- tabard detail didn't wrap around every fold on the bottom, so I will have to sculpt that back in, and the rivets on the leg armor are either miscast or so fiddly small they're virtually useless and will have to be shaven off.

This is interesting, I hadn't noticed that! I'll have to have a look when I get back home.

Thanks for the tips!

Maybe I missed it, but if you just don't want to do another red marine, what's to stop you from working him up as one of the non-red BA successor chapters? I splash of yellow and black-and-white checker might be really cool on this model. Lamenters, anyone? 

Maybe I missed it, but if you just don't want to do another red marine, what's to stop you from working him up as one of the non-red BA successor chapters? I splash of yellow and black-and-white checker might be really cool on this model. Lamenters, anyone?

Actually I had had some similar thoughts, but as far as I can remember most of the BA successors are red - one is half-red/black (which doesn't help considering my armies are red and black haha), Knights of Blood are mostly silver, and obviously the Lamenters - only issue with that is I'm really not sure I could do the Lamenters scheme justice sweat.gif

Certainly bears thinking about though!

** SNIP***

- only issue with that is I'm really not sure I could do the Lamenters scheme justice sweat.gif

**SNIP**

Seems like a challenge to me. Only way to improve is to push our boundaries. And what better scheme to have as a display model then the Lamenters...?

A good point Brother SP! I think I could manage the yellow, but those checks scare me and my shaky hands. It does seem like a simple and elegant solution however...

Gah, now I don't know whether I want a Lamenter Librarian or a converted Exorcists Captain!

Apologies for the self-bump.

Having finally come home and looked at the Librarian bits again, I've noticed the casting issues pointed out by Badaab (lame, but easily remedied with a bit of greenstuff I think), but also noticed some small issues when it comes to converting - 

1) The "crotch"-plate/codpiece/whatever you want to call it has grooves carved into it to accommodate the folds of the tabard - there are a few possible solutions for this, maybe re-sculpt it, or use another tabard to cover it (though due to the angle of the body and legs it would probably need some greenstuff to attach it to the new torso front and make it believable).

2) Because the front of the torso, belt-buckle thing and tabard are all one piece, if a new torso front is used then a new belt-buckle thing would have to be found too, which could be tricky.

As such, it seems like I have two options, both of which will test my current skills - either a test of converting skill to make him an Exorcist Captain, or of painting skill to make him a Lamenters Librarian. I'm leaning towards the Lamenter at this point just to to do something a bit different, but it's still up in the air!

Apologies for the self-bump.

Having finally come home and looked at the Librarian bits again, I've noticed the casting issues pointed out by Badaab (lame, but easily remedied with a bit of greenstuff I think), but also noticed some small issues when it comes to converting - 

1) The "crotch"-plate/codpiece/whatever you want to call it has grooves carved into it to accommodate the folds of the tabard - there are a few possible solutions for this, maybe re-sculpt it, or use another tabard to cover it (though due to the angle of the body and legs it would probably need some greenstuff to attach it to the new torso front and make it believable).

2) Because the front of the torso, belt-buckle thing and tabard are all one piece, if a new torso front is used then a new belt-buckle thing would have to be found too, which could be tricky.

As such, it seems like I have two options, both of which will test my current skills - either a test of converting skill to make him an Exorcist Captain, or of painting skill to make him a Lamenters Librarian. I'm leaning towards the Lamenter at this point just to to do something a bit different, but it's still up in the air!

Lemon. Yellow. 

Yeah good point. Looking at the current GW paints, would a better idea be Averland Sunset -> brown/yellow wash (not sure which) -> Yriel Yellow?

For Lamenters? I'd say Averland, all the way up to Flash Gitz yellow. I tend to think of them as very bright. Yriel is still more of a gold tone. And I'd stick with Casondora Yellow for shade, again to move away from brown/darker yellows. But that's just me, I don't know. 

(Bright) Yellow is easy peasy, prime white, coat with Lamenters glaze.

Now the next steps are things I do, but results will vary, and I paint bad anyway, while its still wet, get a little bit of FlashGitz loaded on your brush and coat it on to get an opaque layer.

For me this works because I'll have enough Lamenters that it'll sorta be a bit too much, when I put that little bit of FlashGitz it spreads out thinly and mostly evenly (sometimes you gotta work it) like a thin opaque coat, though be careful about edges and recesses because you wanna remove any build up before it dries. Once you have an even coat down just let it dry, if there's any spots that are thin on pigment just a bit of FlashGitz will even it out.

FlashGitz and sunburst yellow are essentially the same, so it's the same steps if you have enough yellow, if not I have one last bad idea.

I once again do things wrong and use flow aid to help hydrate old yellow paints (because they were always drying out on me) and basically get it to a milky consistency before I brush it straight onto primer white. Sure I had to still clear crevasses of build up, but the flow aid would evaporate off leaving a conformal smooth coat of opaque yellow in one step. Of course the difficulty with this idea is if you don't do it just right, you'll have a layer that acts more like a wash with buildup and thin spots that'll need undiluted yellow to fix it.

Thanks for the thoughts, both of you. I think I might have to order some paint and do a little experimentation....

NovemberIX, sounds like a really interesting method you've got there! I think I'm gonna prime this model black just because he'll probably end up mostly blue with some yellow elements, but if I ever decide to collect more Lamenters (which, after reading some of their fluff and looking at the new BA Tac Squad, I'm sorely tempted to do. Dammit. blink.png) I'll definitely keep your method in mind!

Archived