Lysimachus' INQ28 stuff

Hail brothers of the Most Holy Inquisition.

I'm thinking of building myself an Inquisitor to use as part of my army. Not particularly planning to build a whole Inq force, more just want to make up some fluff, convert a mini, etc for fun (and because the Inquisition is cool).

I'm really just wondering if there is a particular loadout for a lone Inquisitor that is worth having, or conversely any that are really bad? Or even just something that people think is especially cool? I'm by no means a Tournament player, so it doesn't have to be uber competitive, just a fun but reasonably capable addition.

I run IH C:SM, mostly infantry supported by several AV13/14 units and a Knight Errant once I'm at 2k, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Lysimachus

Ordo Xenos with Rad Grenades and Psycotroke to buff a CC unit.

Ordo Hereticus with PsyOcculum to buff a shooting unit vs Psykers.

TDA Ordo Malleus can Deep Strike in with another unit and add to both shooting and CC.

Cotaez as a deterrent to your opponent's Deep Strike.

Karamazov for more Orbital Bombardment.

The former 3 can take Liber to Scout one of your units up, Servo Skulls and Prescience.

Welcome Lysimachus! :) You've asked a bit of a difficult question I think as the Inquisitor builds are a bit odd. The options are a bit limited sadly, so most don't worry about the actual Ordo your Inquisitor is a member of in the background when deciding what unit entry to use as it provides you with some valuable extra options. Shooting builds are lacklustre though but you can do some dual pistols which is pretty cool.

Perhaps the question should be what sort of Inquisitor you'd like to build? Is there a particular role or unit you'd like to run him with? They can be level 1 psykers too if you fancy it but there's always the option of keeping him cheap as support which can be worthwhile in a different way. I've heard of Ordo Malleus daemon hammer TDA builds, or psycannons which can do quite a bit of tanking and shooting. The grenade options are also quite cool and everyone and their dog seems to take servo skulls.

Thanks guys! Hmm, my ideas of what an Inquisitor is? Well, while I do like the big, extravagant TDA Inq Lords, I tend to think 'why fight yourself when you can easily order/convince/trick someone else to do it for you?'. For me the Inquisition is more about the guys in the background, the secretive investigators/hunters of all things heretical.

Modelling wise, I was considering using the witch hunter with power sword/hand flamer - perhaps with weapon swaps and some bits and pieces added. Quite possibly I'd remove the head and hat too (while the big hat is quite iconic I always think if the Inq is trying to stay low profile a great big hat with an 'I' on it isn't the most subtle thing to wear! ;) ) and replace it with something more old/grizzled looking, maybe a baldy?

In game terms, he could go with any number of units; shooty stuff like Dev squad and a (3 man)Grav-Cents squad. Or there is space in my LRC that carries my Chapter Master and CC focused unit so maybe something to buff them a bit? That might be quite appropriate, with the Inquisitor always there whispering in the Master's ear...

Maybe a psychic Inquisitor might be suitable, especially if you give him less direct/buffing powers to reflect his scheming ways? Would he also use more extravagant weaponry or perhaps something a bit more "normal" with maybe a pistol and power/force weapon? For shooting you could go with a conversion beamer but that wouldn't be a good match for Centurions, probably better to go for a modest assault build as that is where most options are.

Yeah, weapons I was thinking fairly 'standard', maybe even 2 pistols for a gunslinger feel, might look nice with the long coat? Not bought the 'dex yet so not sure what the options are, I was considering turning the flamer into a melta and swapping the sword for a bolt pistol? Or maybe counts-as both as a combi-melta if that's a better?

Psyker could definitely work (would be useful for psychic defence too, plus the CM has Admantium Will from Shield Eternal), I'll have to flick through my rule book for which power might be a decent CC buff! I guess there's no guarantees of what you get, is there a particular discipline that is worth a roll of the dice?

Thanks for the ideas guys! Having been pushed to actually think about what I like most about the Inquisition, I'm now fairly set on a sneaky-sneaky type with some tricky kit and/or psychic CC buff abilities. Hence TDA or Conversion Beamer are probably out for now.

That said, if I did do a CB guy to run with my Devs, I might make him a counts-as AdMech Magos. The high tech weapon would be fitting for such a character and also appropriate given that my Chapter has close links to their local Forgeworld and the army includes a Knight and my Cents are converted to look like Battle Automata!

Hmm, decisions, decisions... or could do both? Presumably you can run as many Inquisitors as you want in an army as each one can be another separate detachment, yes?

Kind of off topic, but can an inquisitor dual wield bolt pistols?

No, they start with one bolt pistol and have no way of buying another.

Gunslinger options by Ordo are:

Malleus/Plasma

Hereticus/Plasma or inferno

Xenos/Plasma or needle

Dual needlers is nasty.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, figured I might as well post this here as anywhere else:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/simoncherylm/Marines%20Adamant/Inq.jpg

Not really worked out the fluff on this guy yet, not even sure on a name! No Ordo either, I kinda figure he sticks his nose into anything he thinks is necessary!

Quite pleased on the build, gun was meant to be a plasma pistol but with the bigger chaos (KB?) PP it ended up more like a plasma gun with a blunderbus/ol' betsy kinda feel. Added the strap from a scout sniper rifle, the forearm and BP are from the regular scouts, and the head is a wolf scout one minus the big mohawk (too noticeable!). Edit: Oh, and knife from SW GH box. Hopefully with the changes he doesn't look too much like the stock mini?

I also don't know if the build is legal or not (not bought the Inq dex yet) but rule of cool wins for me every time. smile.png

Thanks for looking, C+C very welcome!

Lysimachus

Well Lysimachus, you've made quite enough of a change to make him interesting.

Dual gun slinging inquisitor that pokes his nose into anything. Yup, works for me.

Cool before rules for me. Now start slinging some paint. I gotta say I tip my hat to those who convert the old metal models.

Wow, thanks very much brothers! Yup, as soon as I can get outside to do some undercoating I will (very rarely been above 10 degrees for last few months), then this guy is high up on my painting list.

Although I may make myself paint a squad of regular greenies first (got 10 and 5 man Tac squads and 5 man Dev squad in bare plastic at the mo!), then have the Inq as a treat :P

@Ludo: Make sure you post pics, I think it's a very underrated mini with lots of potential!

Wasn't too difficult, I cut it off level with the coat collar/scarf with snips, then used a pin vice and drill and made three or four pilot holes around the edges (just far enough in to leave a mm or so all the way round for the collar). Then I was able to use the snips and a blade to gradually cut/scrape out between the holes. It did take several hours work to get it deep and wide enough to fit the new head but hopefully worth it!

@Ludo: Make sure you post pics, I think it's a very underrated mini with lots of potential!

Will do :)

And you make sure you post pictures with some paint on him as soon as you're done painting the rest of your Marines Adamant!

Archived