Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

=][= The Liber Surgery =][=

The Liber Surgery Liber Q&A

• Please log in to reply
2043 replies to this topic

Conn Eremon

Conn Eremon

++ SCRIBA VILLOSUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,200 posts
  • Faction: Emerald Tigers
A lot of this stuff is decided independently by the Chapter and not necessarily dictated in a uniform manner. I can respond more fully later when I'm not out and about, if someone else doesn't.

Posted Image

Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes

Guilliman Heresy | Corax Coup | Conn's DIY Projects | Liber Surgery

The Liber Cluster II is now live!

Aqui

Aqui

++ ARQUUS PRAELIA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,526 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Dauntless Spirit

Next Question: Codex Compliant Processes within a Codex Compliant Company … I wonder how a company works. biggrin.png

Right! *Rolls up Power armoured sleeves...*

How "fixed" is a marine in his Squad? Doe they often "swap" Squads?

Most (if not all) of the novels I've read imply, or outright state that Marine squads only tend to change:

When a Marine dies

When a Marine goes to the Death Watch

When a Marine is promoted

That isn't to say that it doesn't happen though.

Who names Squads? (The Squads in the Schema of the Codex: Space Marines all have unique Names.)

It seems to vary to a degree, but a significant number of Chapters name their squads after the current sergeant, or in others the name of a famous Marine (usually one from times past)

What happends, when a regular Astartes (normal Marine in a Tactical Squad) dies?

I was of the impression that if a Marine from a Battle Company (Company 2, 3 or 4) dies one from the Reserve Companies (Companies 5-9) "moves forward" to fill the gap (which in itself is filled by a Scout once they've proven themselves to don PA)

Who decides which other Astartes takes his place?

I suppose an order for a Marine to get relocated is made and one is selected. Not sure if ippy-dippy is involved laugh.png

And where does the other Astartes come from?

See above.

Who promotes regular Marines to Sergeants?

The Captain as far as I know.

Do the Sergeants form a Circle on their own?
I mean … do they coordinate stuff and have Extra-Meetings or an extra Vox-Channel for that?
Or are they part of the Captains "Headquarter"?

I suppose Sergeants get to know others, so that decisions are more fluid (Sergeants getting to know how others react in situations and act accordingly). Again, the Chapter mindset can affect how things are done at that level.

Is the Captain usually the only Officer in a Company?

Back in Rogue Trader (first version of 40k rules), there used to be a Lieutenant and Lieutenant-Commander. Sadly, those ranks are mostly gone (I think the Red Scorpions have Commander Cullen in both fluff and specific rules smile.png )

What happends, whe a Captain dies in Battle?
Who takes immediatelly over the Comand?

It depends. In many circumstances, in official fluff and in novels, it has/can fall to the most senior Sergeant (usually a Veteran), who is defacto commander until either he dies, the battle ends and he can interact with more official Chain of Command (such as another Company Captain or the Chapter Master), or some other senior member of the Chapter is present (Librarian, Master of the Forge, Chaplain)

Who decides who get promoted to be the real new Captain of the Company?
Does the new Captain usually come from the same Company?

The Chapter Master is the one who has that kind of authority. The new Captain could be a senior Sergeant from the same Company, another Company if the current Sergeants don't have the experience, or in the case of the First Company, could be another Captain from another Company.

*Phew!*

laugh.png

Hopefully, I've answered correctly, but I dare say one of the other Mods can correct me if I'm in error msn-wink.gif
  • Filius likes this
In the darkness between the stars, the weak and the faithless find no deliverance. We are raised to believe that the God-Emperor watches over us all. And so we are charged to cleanse the mutant, the heretic and the alien. We must not falter. We are His sword. We are His wrath. Even in the face of death, we shall not submit. Suffering is our prayer. Faith is our armour. In Battle He offers us redemption. And for those who proves their worth, the Emperor sends sends forth His Angels!

Filius

Filius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 514 posts

@Aquilanus: Thanks alot  for the Work! Most of it sound very reasonable.

I only have a few futher enquiries:

Would you say, that a Squad chooses it's own name (like by vote or so), or does the Sergeant or the Captain choose the Squads Name?

With only the Captains being Officers, that's quite a few for the whole Chapter, I would say. Are the Chaplains, Librarians, Apothecarii and Techmarines also considered Officers?

Do you know that while you are shaving and polishing your armour we fight …?

Aqui

Aqui

++ ARQUUS PRAELIA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,526 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Dauntless Spirit

@Aquilanus: Thanks alot  for the Work! Most of it sound very reasonable.
I only have a few futher enquiries:

Would you say, that a Squad chooses it's own name (like by vote or so), or does the Sergeant or the Captain choose the Squads Name?

I'm not sure to be honest. I haven't read or seen much that explains how it's done. If you want your Chapter to give squad names in a particular fashion, which ever that may be, then go for it smile.png

With only the Captains being Officers, that's quite a few for the whole Chapter, I would say. Are the Chaplains, Librarians, Apothecarii and Techmarines also considered Officers?

They aren't officers as such I don't think, but they are (to a greater or lesser degree) part of the Chain of Command, especially the Chief Librarian, head of the Reclusiam (Chaplain), Chief Apothecary or Master of the Forge (head Tech Marine).
  • Filius likes this
In the darkness between the stars, the weak and the faithless find no deliverance. We are raised to believe that the God-Emperor watches over us all. And so we are charged to cleanse the mutant, the heretic and the alien. We must not falter. We are His sword. We are His wrath. Even in the face of death, we shall not submit. Suffering is our prayer. Faith is our armour. In Battle He offers us redemption. And for those who proves their worth, the Emperor sends sends forth His Angels!

Filius

Filius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 514 posts

If you want your Chapter to give squad names in a particular fashion, which ever that may be, then go for it smile.png

On my way! Thanks for the encouragement! :)

Conn Eremon

Conn Eremon

++ SCRIBA VILLOSUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,200 posts

Aquilanus did an admirable job answering, so I'll just try to reinforce what he said or elaborate further on some of the details.

The Codex Astartes provides a rigid pattern for the flow of Marines from the Tenth to the Sixth Reserve Companies. Each Reserve Company has its own specialties that are intended to augment the general purpose Battle Companies. Marines are trained as Scouts first, Assault/Devastators next, and finally Tactical/Armour. From there, the Marine will move into any one of the four Battle Companies, Second through Fifth. That Marine has one of two options available to him: a rank or veteran status. Veteran status means being moved to the First Company. Rank means Sergeant first, possibly Veteran Sergeant second, Captain third and Chapter Master fourth. However, there are some Marines that will only go so far and no further, and that number drops significantly the higher up the totem pole you go.

There is, however, room for wriggle room. Some Chapters structure their Companies differently, disrupting the flow as given in the Codex Astartes and necessitating one special and possibly even unique to that Chapter. If you already know what kind of character your Chapter has, then it might be useful to ask yourself how the Chapter would view it.

Company/Squad names aren't really all that elaborated on beyond being given. In some cases, it seems logical to assume that the Company name is a relatively permanent fixture. The Blood Angels First Company is always called the Archangels, for instance. Squad names could be far less permanent, or descriptive. You could number your Squads in their names, such as Primus Squad, or Tertius Squad, for instance. I have seen Squads where they are named for their current Sergeants, effectively being [Sergeant's Name] Squad. The Iron Snakes made those names permanent, so each Squad is named for their original Sergeant. But these Squads could also have names such as those the Companies do, though the only reference to such that immediately comes to mind is the Luna Wolves, of the Great Crusade. As depicted by the Black Library, their Squads had unique names, though they were greater than the Squads of the 40k era.

So it all comes down to what you want, or how you see your Chapter approaching this point. As Aquilanus said, go for it.

As for those ranking Marines outside of the Chapter's officer cadre, such as the Apothecarion, Forge, Librarium or Reclusiam, these are auxiliary forces. They each have their own internal hierarchy separate from that of the Chapter as a whole. But, there are various points of overlap. All auxiliary groups answer to the Chapter Master, as much as any of the officers. Those who head their respective auxiliary group are also part of a Chapter's high command, alongside the Captains. As such, it is reasonable to assume that their authority is roughly equivalent. Authority matters a lot to Space Marines, so even though a Marine of the Third Company has nothing to do with the Chapter Techmarines, he'd still show the Master of the Forge the same respect and loyalty as he would his own Captain. Continuing on with that train of logic, it would also seem reasonable that the next step below the auxiliary Masters are roughly equivalent to the next step below Captains, which are the Sergeants.

But once again, as is almost always the case, it still comes down to what the Chapter in question is like. What if the Chapter is one of the faithful? Might the Reclusiam have heightened authority then? Possibly. What if the Chapter has close ties to the Mechanicum or is an Iron Hands successor? Might the Chapter Forge have heightened authority? Possibly. What if the Master of Sanctity is the one entrusted with naming the next Chapter Master? Would that elevate him above the Captains? Possibly.

• Filius likes this

Posted Image

Filius

Filius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 514 posts

@Conn Eremon: A thousand Thankyous! I'm well aware that these Structure do vary from chapter to chapter, and of course I came up with a variation for my own chapter. But as (mostly) always, I prefer to know the rules, before I break them. So thanks again also to Aquilanus for explaining the Codex so detailed. I hope it will help further DIYer also. Have a great sunday, gentlemen!

Filius

Filius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 514 posts

And the next Question: I've read in the DIY-Guide, that the decision to found a new Chapter is made by the High Lords of Terra. But while thinking about my DIY-IA, I often came to the point where I asked myself wether there ist something like another central Institution, that coordinates the 1000 Chapters. Is there any Institution like that? What I found out myself:

The Adeptus Astartes are Part of the Adeptus Terra, but the Schema seems to suggest, that they are not part of a Chain of Command:

http://wh40k.lexican...i/Adeptus_Terra

That seems to be supported by this Quote: "The Chapter Masters owe their allegiance to the Emperor. Ultimately, the Chapter is subject to the orders of the highest-ranking among the Adeptus Terra, although only in a general sense."

http://wh40k.lexican...es#Organisation

Still I wonder how bigger common military Actions, that contain the engagement of several Chapters are coordinated, especially if one considers the time it takes to communicate …

Plus: I wonder wether there is another form of Authority, a Chapter has to answer besides the Inquisition. I mean … the Inquisition more or less "only" takes action, when a Chapter is about to get heretic. But I can imagine situation where a Chapter might find itself in "Problems" that are no Reason for the Inquisition to get active, like, when they made some really bad military decisions …

Conn Eremon

Conn Eremon

++ SCRIBA VILLOSUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,200 posts
The Space Marines are an Adeptus, and do have a singular individual at the top. However, that figure is a representative, not their "leader." The quote you had from Lexicanum is pretty much spot on.

As for group actions, it comes down to seniority and heritage. A First Founding tends to outrank a later Founding. An younger Chapter Master tends to defer to an older Chapter Master. A Captain of one Chapter tends to subordinate himself to a senior Captain of another Chapter. Examples can include Armageddon, the 2nd War of which was commanded over by Dante of the Blood Angels, but included many other Chapters like the Ultramarines. The Badab War loyalist Chapters were led by Commander Carab Culln of the Red Scorpions, but included elements of a First Founding Chapter, the Salamanders. So there are no hard and fast rules on this, just a general gist that is more or less retained.

As for the Inquisition, it is typical among DIYers to include them only when they want to go heretical, but the Inquisition is a powerful organization that is concerned with far more than just that. A particularly powerful Chapter can defy or ignore them, but most cannot. A DIY will more than likely fall into the latter category, unless said DIY is being set up to be equal to the likes of the Space Wolves, Ultramarines or Dark Angels. That has its own set of problems, however, as far as being accepted by the Liber community. More typically, it would not be uncommon for the Inquisition to pop up and outright demand a Chapter bend to its will on a particular matter, and the Chapter likely will. There's a BL book by Sarah Cawkell (B&C's own Pyroriffic) that is all about just that, with the Silver Skulls Chapter. Can't really remember the title, but I believe it is still her most current novel.

Posted Image

TDF

TDF

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 515 posts
Regarding squad names, in the 5th edition C:SM there was a double page spread on the Ultramarines 2nd company and iirc all the squads had names, including the Titan Slayers, the Shield Bearers and the Indomitable. At least one of those was earned from a specific event, killing a traitor titan.
  • Filius likes this

Img_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013A.gif  friday-award.png  friday-award.png gallery_51296_10593_8492.png

Filius

Filius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 514 posts

@Conn Eremon: Do I read your answer correctly that there is no "other Institution" that forms a central Point of Organisation for the Space Marine Chapters? Neither in a pure Sense of Making things easier, nor in a Sense of Hierarchy? The just work together and communicate with each other, when it fits in the situation, and if the Inquisition is not interested in a Chapter, than it doesn't have to answer to no other Authority than the High Lords of Terra? Right?

I mean … on the one Hand that fits well with the Space Marines being the Super-Superior Fighting Force of the Galaxy (besides the Nids) and the Chapters being proud and so … but on the other Hand … something like a common Strategium, with an Ambassador of every Chapter (that wants to send an Ambassador) sound so highly reasonable to me, that even the not-so-reasonable Astartes should be able to realize the Usefullness of that … biggrin.png … I just today read that Representatives of the White Scars Successors meet every nine years at the White Scars Homeworld to (among other thing) exchange Experiences.

Regarding squad names, in the 5th edition C:SM there was a double page spread on the Ultramarines 2nd company and iirc all the squads had names, including the Titan Slayers, the Shield Bearers and the Indomitable. At least one of those was earned from a specific event, killing a traitor titan.

Yeah. The Same Page is still within the Current Edition. That's why I came to think about it in the first Place. biggrin.png

Edited by Filius, 11 January 2015 - 06:54 PM.

Conn Eremon

Conn Eremon

++ SCRIBA VILLOSUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,200 posts
Space Marine Chapters are fiercely independent. Except for when directly called upon, they see themselves as the highest authorities, by the Emperor's own mandate and tempered only by the reformations of Guilliman and the direct presence of those technically superior to them.

However, there does exist examples of continued interactions between Chapters. The Unforgiven are one of the most highly interconnected collectives of Chapters around, though their focus is rather specific. There are also mandated collectives based around locales, such as the Maelstrom Warders, with the former Astral Claws at their head, or the Liber community's own Liberite Conclave, of the Liber Cluster.

Posted Image

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,520 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

I'm just gonna jump in for a second, so apologies if this was addressed. 

Space Marine chapters are as independent or as dependent as they want. For the most part, they will be free to act independently without 'oversight'. Conflicts arise when interest groups want something from a space marine chapter that the chapter may be disinclined to agree to. Using the best fleshed out example, the Badab War at its core was a dispute between the Maelstrom Warders headed by the Astral Claws and the Karthago Sector. The Administratum was a distant and impersonal body making decisions that left the Warders understrength for their mission, causing them to extract what they needed from the nearby domains. Everything spiraled out of control because of what was essentially a trade dispute. It was only when the Warders began to resist the Administratum delegates (rightfully assuming they had been lobbied by the Karthago Sector), that such resistance couldn't be tolerated. In the end all parties were punished, Karthago and Badab, for disturbing the Emperor's peace. 

So when determining how independent a chapter is, that dependency level is defined by what kind of inter-Imperial conflict you want to build upon. If your main purpose is to design a chapter who is out there fighting the enemies of the Imperium, then internecine politics won't play much of a part. If you are representing a Chapter who is deeply tied to a region then it is only natural that the chapter would have to navigate the power plays of interest groups.

It should be noted, this is primarily from the point of view of story-telling, and by no means a prescription. If that was way off the mark, Conn, I apologize biggrin.png

Edited by Marshal Rohr, 12 January 2015 - 01:18 AM.

• Lysimachus, Conn Eremon and Welcheren like this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

baldur27

baldur27

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 66 posts

I had a question about chapter schisms; other than the sons of medusa and the iron hands are there any other cases of a chapter deciding to split itself in half to form a successor chapter?

Conn Eremon

Conn Eremon

++ SCRIBA VILLOSUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,200 posts
None that I have ever heard of, but that was a pretty special case. It wasn't just the Iron Hands, but all Moirae Insurrectionists of the Iron Hands and their Successors. And I believe a lot of testing went in to verify their purity first.

It seemed more in keeping with the Dark Angels requesting a Successor be Founded outside of a Founding. A unique scenario that may be duplicated, but is indicative of a Chapter with a lot of power and/or influence. Most DIYs are not on par with any of the First Founding, and so will likely not be able to duplicate that kind of scenario.

However, a Chapter splintering off chunks that end up going renegade/Chaos can happen to virtually any Chapter, including the First Founding (Hello Space Wolves).

Posted Image

baldur27

baldur27

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 66 posts

Would an internal conflict be the more likely outcome than going their separate ways then?

Conn Eremon

Conn Eremon

++ SCRIBA VILLOSUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,200 posts
I would say so, yes, as a more likely outcome. Differences build up, frustrations rise and tempers flare. Words are said, blows are struck.

The conflict doesn't necessarily need to be violent or physical, however.

Posted Image

baldur27

baldur27

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 66 posts

What I had in mind was a nomadic chapter who usually operate in several roving battle groups. At some point one such group well develop different beliefs and tactics the rift will only grow until they even use different color schemes. This will all come to a head after the chapter successfully defends a planet and is rewarded with a chapter world one side will gladly accept and the other refuse choosing to stay nomadic claiming a chapter world is just a static target. This results in the two sides falling into open conflict. Is there any organisation besides the lords of terra (who I assume would not give a censored.gif) who could step in and push for them to be split into new chapters or does one side need to crush the other?

Just thought of another question do chapters even refuse chapter worlds?

Edited by baldur27, 12 January 2015 - 04:01 PM.

Lysimachus

Lysimachus

++ LUMINARCHUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 2,172 posts
  • Faction: Iron Gods, Marines Adamant
Probably in that situation if they went their ways without fighting and drawing attention, splitting their resources, they could carry on for centuries as separate entities with no-one the wiser. Unless somebody has cause to back through the records of the various Foundings, they might never discover that what is now 2 Chapters should have been only 1.

Maybe once they start making separate requests for war materiel or submitting separate gene seed tithes, someone might think it was a bit odd, but it's still possible that even then it might get missed in the vast bureaucracy that is the Imperium.

And if an Inquisitor (the most likely character to uncover the split) did find them out, if both forces were not doing anything heretical he might just let them carry on, with the proviso that they both owe him a favour...

Conn Eremon

Conn Eremon

++ SCRIBA VILLOSUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,200 posts

Well, what do you want of this Chapter? Is a split what you desire? Is it just that you have two conflicting ideas and you're trying to find some way to include them both? Because there's a number of ways you can go about this depending on what you want. The most simple solution is to create two separate Chapters. They don't need to come from the same source, unless that is the part that you want. But I would certainly recommend trying to look at it this way, even if just for a bit or just as a thought exercise. You might find that what you want can be better fulfilled that way. Or not, but the thought exercise has helped you better define what you do want.

Posted Image

Welcheren

Welcheren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 479 posts
  • Faction: Wind Singers, Light Bringers

If you are interested in doing the reading, David Annandale's novel Death of Antagonis does a splendid job of portraying the psychological phases that may precipitate such a split. I won't go into the details in case you haven't read it, but if you are willing to do the reading, I think it can be very helpful in terms of fleshing out ideas.

baldur27

baldur27

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 66 posts

another question; are there any other instances of a chapter increasing their numbers above 1000 besides the astral claws/tiger claws in the badab conflict?

Conn Eremon

Conn Eremon

++ SCRIBA VILLOSUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,200 posts
If I recall correctly, the Codex outright states that a Chapter can grow to greater size when under exceptional circumstances. Now, the Astral Claws went above and beyond that. And retaining those numbers longer than necessary would be seen as a big no-no by the powers that be.

Posted Image

Tian Shan

Tian Shan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21 posts

If I recall correctly, the Codex outright states that a Chapter can grow to greater size when under exceptional circumstances. Now, the Astral Claws went above and beyond that. And retaining those numbers longer than necessary would be seen as a big no-no by the powers that be.

Black Templars have many more than 1000 marines, has anyone read about any tension between the powers that be with them about this?

Is anyone aware of just how much gene-seed a Chapter has, out of curiosity?

And the gene tithe is usually how much/ how often?

Valkyrion

Valkyrion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,508 posts

Memory might by hazy, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that 6th and/or 7th company marines are used as vehicle crews. Would this be limited to rhinos and razors, or would it also extend to the proper tanks, or is there a permanent cadre of marines within the armoury just for that purpose?

Just thinking that a vehicle heavy chapter might find itself down a full company or more if fully deployed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Liber Surgery, Liber, Q&A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users