Fantastic work, Cod.

I love the manual!

I've never used weathering powder how does it work?

Chef, the weathering powder set I use is:

gallery_63428_6758_13776.jpg

An example of how I used it is:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/269424-shrineworld-garrison-punisher-progress-129/?p=3810978

In the set there is an applicator with a brush end and a sponge end. A bit like makeup.

You simply brush/dab in where you want it.

Some people seal it afterwards with various products. I don't have proper pigment sealer but used hairspray once and that wasn't too bad. Will probably be using matt varnish on my Punisher to protect the whole model.

I'll put some step-by-step photos in my thread when I do it if I can.

Another excellent completion! Very well done Cod it looks great! The extra details are really cool, the magazines especially laugh.png This catapults you to the undisclosed upper ranks... and Zac there is no such thing as inadequate painting skills, only inadequate effort msn-wink.gif

Thank Warriorfish, Kier and all for the positive comments. And yes effort is irreplaceable, for without effort nothing happens at all!

Now I'm thinking bout more manuals for other Militarum vehicles.

@ CoffeeGrunt

Well I have a printer set up at home, did a couple of test prints really small, seemed to work. Shrink them right down!

Experimented with the 'kill' text, it's actually printed on an acetate sheet, then cut to fit the screen shape. I imagine it flashes 'kill' when a direct hit is made.

@elmo

I figured as much! Just couldn't resist seeing as the gunners back was right there so exposed. Will be interesting when he gets back to the Barracks for sure happy.png

@ scatmandoo

Yes maybe just the special characters will get a little bit of treatment.

Actually after seeing all these lovely Leman Russ HQ Tanks, hmmm ideas...

Well said Sviar smile.png

12 days left of Big Guns - how time flies when you're having fun killing xenos! Sadly I have been besieged by enemies of the Emperor so time for painting has been very slim but fear not, the commissariat will slay them all and press on to the hallowed land of painting! I hope to have something worth an update this week smile.png

Ok, so my "counts as pask" is almost done, and I'm almost finished writing the fluff....

This should be finished within the next two days...

http://i.imgur.com/JK6tosb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AnmDufq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4x1puhK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xhtrFHW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/t9KzUBu.jpg

Excellent work, what are the last bits remaining as it looks done to me (save for drilled barrels)? Really good use of colours still and the highlighting works well. Seems like a lot of comrades are going to get their completions in early which is great :D

Excellent work, what are the last bits remaining as it looks done to me (save for drilled barrels)? Really good use of colours still and the highlighting works well. Seems like a lot of comrades are going to get their completions in early which is great biggrin.png

Just a few touches to the commander, bit of rustyness and mud here and there..... Oh and I'll drill the barrels.

The path of the righteous tank is beset on all sides by the presence of the xenos and the tyranny of heretical men. Blessed is he who, in the name of the Golden Throne, shepherds his fellow man through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am Rectitude when I lay My vengeance upon thee."

Tank Images - more in post #490 of my army thread.

med_gallery_63428_8145_412101.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_959704.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_1485882.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_1004401.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_823930.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_1190790.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_65580.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_260654.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_1239116.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_1397354.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_1354653.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_1227441.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_796003.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8145_1884945.jpggallery_63428_8145_85709.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_380938.jpg

Tank Information

Leman Russ Punisher `Rectitude`

One of the oldest tanks, if not the oldest armoured vehicle, on Kierdale’s Shrineworld, the Leman Russ Punisher designated `Rectitude` has a long and glorious history dating back to the war against the Greenskin which reunited the planet’s noble houses under the ecclisiarchy.

On the day centuries ago that the nomadic friar Kierdale returned to the main temple of the Cult of the Emperor bringing word of his visions of the coming Ork invasion, bishop Nicholas Symon sent out a call for the noble houses of the planet to unit under the ecclisiarchy’s banner and face the Greenskin menace. - The priesthood had mediated betwixt the houses for millennia while the planet had been cut off by warpstorms and though the majority of houses rallied to the church’s banner not all did.

Compared to the vast regiments of fortress worlds such as Cadia, those formed from the households that believed the wanderer’s prophecies and swore loyalty to the priesthood were small, but their zeal great. The punisher whose tale we now tell was one of many, at that time recognized by a different name (one now lost to the ages), rapidly crewed by house Brookwood soldiers and, as part of the 1st Armoured, ventured out to meet the alien invaders. Though ill prepared the regiment quickly adapted, as the Ambush at Sidewinder Gorge illustrated.

The Greenskins had made planetfall in Dunfane land. That house Dunfane had not heeded the ecclisiarchy’s call to arms, the house having a rough history with the preachers of the Cult of the Emperor and not wishing to further bend their knees to the priests, was seen as an ill omen. An omen proven true as blitz bombas filled the skies over the stubborn house’s cities and Stompas marched upon their cities vomiting fire. However, the newly formed guard regiments - the first cohesive fighting force on the planet since the coming of the Storms - were not able to ambush the Ork forces, hitting them from the rear as the humans planned, for a considerable Waaargh had made planetfall: the horde was comprised of not one clan but Snakebites, Deff Skulls and Blood Axes, led by the Snakebite warboss Gobsnaga Skarzog.

As the column of tanks advanced through Sidewinder Gorge, intending to fall upon the greenskin rear as the xenos assaulted the Dunfane city of Whitecrest, they themselves were ambushed. Bombs planted by Blood Axe commandoes brought down crags to the rear while rokkits took out the lead tank, trapping the rest between steep mountainsides on the left and a drop into the depths of the gorge to the right. More rokkits came down in salvoes from commandoes positioned high above, forcing some of the tank crews to abandon their vehicles and attempt to flee. It was then that Snakebite boar riders, unimpeded by the rough terrain and wrecked vehicles swept through the gorge, burying hatchets, tomahawks and slugs in the backs of the fleeing humans. All was in disarray until the screams of the dying and the victorious cries of the alien brutes were eclipsed by the screeching of metal as a tank was pushed into the ravine and the river below. The sound of tortured metal and resulting thunderous splash were then replaced by a high pitched whine. One of the few tank crews with mettle drove aside all that blocked their way, and opened fire with their gatling cannon. The gorge was soon awash with fire and sparks as thousands of rounds ricocheted off the rock walls and the wrecks of their comrade tanks. The punisher’s heavy bolters soon joined the fusillade, and the tank’s commander opened his hatch to begin raking the high ground with the tank’s heavy stubber. The example set by that one punisher rallied the remaining tanks, chopping up their ambushers and those guardsmen who had fled their mounts, Leman Russ battle tanks and Demolishers blasting apart the ambushed tanks, sending shrapnel scything through Ork, pig and coward alike.

The crew and tank was commended for their bravery, for leading the survivors in breaking out and routing their ambushers, and for their mercilessness with regard to the crews who fled. The punisher took part in several other engagements before it saw combat alongside the nomadic friar Kierdale himself and his retinue.

Ever guided by visions, friar Kierdale foresaw the fall of the port of Blacksand to the Greenskin and with all haste made his way there accompanied by his ragtag band of volunteers: junior priests and other mendicants like himself, hired swords and filthy abhuman beastmen. On his way he crossed paths with a detachment of the 1st Armoured on their way for rearming before returning to the lines. It was his oratory which persuaded several of the crews, including that of the punisher which would soon be named `Rectitude`, to disobey orders and accompany him to Blacksand. The small force arrived just in time to fortify the city before the Ork assault began. With tanks defilade they poured fire into the advancing Xenos ground and air forces, the punisher whose tale we now tell even succeeding in downing a pair of Ork flyers by volume of fire. But, the mission had been unsanctioned and ammo was short. Soon the armour was forced to withdraw deeper into the city, conserving ammunition and -making nonstandard field replacements of sponson armament against Mechanicus advising- using heavy flamers as the fighting became house-to-house.

For reasons which none will ever know - for the crew perished that day - the crew of the Punisher ploughed through a building just in time to save the good friar from a mega armoured Ork Nob. Though the alien chief managed to snip off the priest’s right arm with a klaw, the Leman Russ drove straight into him, flattening him within his ad-hoc armour before he could finish off the friar.

Though father Kierdale fell that day and the crew of that Punisher paid the ultimate price: the tank was later found, the hatch pried open and the crew’s heads taken by Snakebite braves, the Imperium won the day and the priest was given the best medical care available, his arm replaced with a powerful prosthetic usually reserved for frontline officers. Bishop Symon called upon the houses to replenish the planet’s regiments and over the coming months the Greenskin commandoes began to target not only the guard bases but also the priesthood’s fanes and monasteries. This caused the bishop to requisition guard forces to defend his houses of worship, an action which stifled the regiments’ ability to take the fight to the Orks. While the generals and brigadiers bridled against bishop Symon’s actions they were powerless to give voice counter to the priesthood’s demands.

Repaired, refitted and recrewed by house Burnett forces, before the Punisher was sent back to the front lines the recuperated father Kierdale, flanked by his beastmen bodyguard, requested to see the tank. He proclaimed that it was haunted by the spirits of its former crew, claiming that they believed their job was not yet done. Blessing the vehicle he named it `Rectitude`. The remains of the Brookwood crew were then entombed within bronze simulacra upon the hull Indeed it is said that the skull which is mounted beneath the driver’s vision slit today is that of the driver who steered the tank that fateful day, recovered by veterans of the 41st regiment of foot in a punitive raid, an event which forged strong ties between the 1st Armoured and 41st of Foot.

House Burnett saw to it that Rectitude be assigned to the guard forces which accompanied the prophet and it saw combat alongside Kierdale in half a dozen more confrontations with the Greenskin before the climactic battle on the plains which would later be named the Kierdale Downs.

The Orks had constructed a fortress from the wreckage of their own vehicles, those of the guard and the cities they had plundered. Demanding all the forces the priesthood would allow, the guard command sought to put an end to the drawn out conflict. To crush the Greenskin and drive them from the planet once and for all. The crew of Rectitude were given special orders for the care of the prophet himself.

A hundred Leman Russes formed the vanguard ahead of dozens of Chimeras, watched over by Basilisks, Medusae, Wyverns and more massed artillery. A sea of roughriders scouted before the combined army while Vendettas, Valkyries and Vultures filled the skies.

Never again in the millennia to come would such a volume of blood be spilt upon the planet’s soil. Again and again it seemed as if the guard would be pushed back and broken, the commanders cursing the priesthood under their breath, knowing that many of their comrades had been requisitioned for garrison duty at monasteries across the planet. Forces which could have won the day faster. Earlier.

Finally father Kierdale’s own chimera charged forth from the mass, pushing aside wrecks with its Aquila-shaped prow, the priest himself screaming his wrath at the xenos from the pulpit atop the APC, driving the Greenskin before them, Rectitude close behind, cannon blazing.

The guard, filled with righteous zeal, flooded forward behind the priest, tearing into the Orks. It was later claimed that a lucky shot by Ork lootas caused Rectitude to stall and fall behind, an event which would be remembered in sorrowful hymns for while the guard tore down the Ork fortress, Kierdale and his retinue perished confronting the Warboss himself. Rectitude’s commander himself testified to having seen the prophet fall before he opened fire upon the melee with his punisher cannon.

In the aftermath of the war it was discovered that, on that same day, bishop Symon had been assassinated - by Ork commandoes if the oversized knife buried in his chest was any indication - and house Burnett took prominence, installing one of their own scions as head of the priesthood. In remembrance of their savior, the lord and house renamed themselves Kierdale, and have remained in power ever since…

gallery_63428_8145_46246.jpggallery_63428_8145_56120.jpg

In the current day Rectitude is commanded by Harlech IV, a middle-aged noble, officer, vassal of house Kierdale, and devout member of the Imperial Cult: the tank crews under his command are the first onto the pews when the ministorum priests give their pre-battle benedictions. Harlech IV himself has been knonw to lead his crews in prayer to the bronze simulacrum mounted upon Rectitude when a priest is unavailable.

Lean, with a ramrod straight back despite years of combat within the confines of Leman Russes, Harlech IV has a most distinctive appearance with his pickelhaube helmet and exceedingly bushy handlebar moustache and beard. Besides being a veteran tank commander he is also an expert fencer, skilled with the epee and heavier saber. Risking through the ranks initially as a member of the 121st `Lord’s Own` lancers (a roughrider unit, in common departmento munitorum vernacular), Harlech IV is still a skilled rider in his off-duty hours. Indeed it is remembered in the annals of the 1st Armoured that at the Battle of Lathaggna he dismounted, catching one of the planet’s native equestrianesque beasts and scouted before the armoured column through the mists (a department mistake had seen no sentinels assigned to the taskforce), voxing back orders to his tanks.

gallery_63428_8145_18253.jpggallery_63428_8145_52363.jpg

In addition to the six regular crew (commander Harlech and the tank’s driver, sponson gunners, gunner and loader) commander Harlech IV is rarely seen unaccompanied by sergeant Cavendish. Harlech’s batman since his days with the Lord’s Own, Cavendish has not given up his bugle despite his superior’s move from horses to main battle tanks. He simply blows harder.

gallery_63428_8145_23796.jpg

This pict shows the shield of Rectitude. Following the customs of the shrineworld garrison regiments the azure indicates a support role (while some tankers might view this label unfavourably, those of Kiedale’s shrineworld take pride in the Blue, for they know that without them the Red, Yellow and Green would crumble). The or indicates the tank’s command role within the 1st Armoured. The torse (vert, an actual wreath as opposed to the twisted fabric found upon many the heraldry of many other regiments) is a common campaign medal.

Also visible in red ink upon the top of the driver’s hatch is an eulogy to the tank’s first driver (whose skull, it is said, is set beneath the view slot).

gallery_63428_8145_26078.jpggallery_63428_8145_26875.jpg

Upon the left and right sides of the front heavy bolter mounting (and upon the flanks of the tank’s sponsons) are bronze effigies of the original crew, with handwritten paean in white.

Regimental Information

History

Kierdale’s World is a shrineworld located in the galactic west, the nearest other Imperial settlement being the Adeptus Mechanicus-claimed world of Alceforge. Settled long ago during the Great Crusade with a name now long-forgotten, the colony was cut off from the Imperium for many millennia by warp storms during the centuries following the Horus Heresy and, starved of communication and trade, civilization reverted to a feudal state. This regression was far from smooth: noble houses who had once sworn loyalty to the planetary Imperial governor waged war against one another. None but the Ecclesiarchy were safe. The members of the priesthood shrewdly chose to side with whoever was in power at the time. These civil wars seemed fated to continue endlessly until one of the priesthood’s friars returned to the head temple professing to have witnessed a vision of the end of days.

This priest was brother Kierdale.

It was Kierdale’s great charisma and oratory skill which managed firstly to convince his superiors of the veracity of his claims and secondly to unite most of the noble houses. Those that refused to believe soon changed their minds when a Greenskin hulk was spotted entering orbit above the planet. Those who did not flock to Kierdale and the ecclisiarchy’s banner found themselves butchered by the first Greenskin assaults. Friar Kierdale himself refused to remain at the head temple and instead returned to his wandering ways, accompanied by a chosen band of comrades, lending aid where he could. It was during one of the first clashes with the Xenos that Kierdale lost his left arm, hacked off by one of the foul beings and later replaced with a cybernetic prosthetic.

Under friar Kierdale and the priesthood’s leadership the Greenskins were first driven back and finally wiped out, the climactic battle taking place upon the plains were the Orks hulk had crashlanded. Friar Kierdale fell in combat that day and Lord Burnett, leader of the majority of the household troops who took part in the action and slayer of the Ork warboss himself, chose to rename the planet in honour of the prophet. He also proclaimed that all future ruling lords of the Burnett house would bear the title Lord Kierdale.

The plains where the final battle occurred were named the Kierdale Downs and, after the taint of the Xenos had been removed, a statue of friar Kierdale was erected upon the site.

When Kierdale’s World was finally reunited with the greater Imperium, lord Kierdale was recognized as and instated as the Imperial governor. While Adeptus Mechanicus representatives from Alceforge attempt to replace the planet’s aged technology with that more equal to the majority of the Imperium, this has permeated little further than the garrison itself: the Kierdale’s Worlders on the whole clung to their old ways. While the garrison's guardsmen are armed akin to those in countless regiments across the Imperium it is a common sight to see Kierdale’s World conscripts wielding antique-looking lasguns with wooden stocks, cables connecting them to bulky powerpacks at their belts.

Abhumans

Another noted aspect of Kierdale’s World is the presence of abhumans. While the cult of the Emperor is strong, so is the taint of Chaos ever-present. Household slaves who worked the mines on the planet’s two high-gravity moons Gog and Magog developed large, overly-muscled bodies while their brains became stunted. These muscular brutes too saw combat against that Greenskin onslaught, defending their homeland and earning many laurels, such that Gogmagogs (kindred to homo sapiens gigantus) now in the 41st millennium serve in the planet’s military.

The taint of chaos was most commonly seen in offspring identified as homo sapiens variatus. Initially destroyed upon the orders of the ecclisiarchy in bloody pogroms, these mutants came to gain recognition thanks again to the actions of friar Kierdale. It was his disputes with his superiors in the church on the mutant-issue which saw him `granted` friar-status and sent out to preach across the planet, and his choosing of a `beastman` bodyguard during the wars against the Greenskins that saw them gain, if not recognition, a chance for redemption in the eyes of the Emperor. Hence the formation of penal legionnaire units lead by minor members of the priesthood. Indeed a beastman named Mister Tumnos earned his freedom (and subsequent immediate conscription into the Kierdale’s World garrison) and redemption in saving the life of the current Lord Kierdale. Mister Tumnos now serves in the lord’s command squad.

In recent years Kierdale’s Shrineworld has become home to a small band of homo sapiens rotundus refugees who were conducting offworld trade when their homeworld was consumed by the Great Devourer. These exiles are too few to form a genetically viable continuation of their species and, while they staunchly eschew the Imperial Cult (a fact which the populace of the Shrineworld take an exceedingly dim view of) they have sworn to sell their lives in the defence of their new home, earning a modicum of protection via the Adeptus Mechanicus' representatives on the planet (and the hunger those engineers have for access to the exiles' technology).

The Garrison

Following tradition, the garrison of Kierdale’s World is manned by household troops of the planet’s various noble houses, overseen by the ecclisiarchy. Guardsmen take pride in their uniforms which, while being of a fashion non-native to Kierdale's World (it is in the majority most similar to that worn by the Iron Guard of Mordia), they see as a sign of their having been chosen for service in the Emperor's own Hammer. While the vast majority of homes on Kierdale's World have las-muskets which are heirlooms, passed down and lovingly cared for since the days of friar Kierdale, the garrison itself is armed with standard-pattern lasrifles. When a conscript gives up his family's weapon (often passing it on to a son or daughter) and takes up one of the garrison's own weapons it symbolises he is no longer merely to protect his homeworld but rather the Imperium itself.

When war comes to the sector which Kierdale’s World calls home (an all too often, if not continuous, occurrence), the garrison is called upon to dispatch forces. In dire occasions the majority of Kierdale’s World garrison can be dispatched to fight on foreign soil, and Fraternis Militia (conscripts) units can be raised. The nomadic trader tribes of the World’s equatorial desert regions can also be pressed into combat, their gaudy silk-clad yet ferocious warriors in stark contrast to the pristine household guardsmen.

While most household troops go to war in their pristine uniforms, some (usually those who have seen regular combat) often don more battle-worthy armour and fatigues. Nevertheless, a unit’s battlefield role is indicated by coloured markings upon their armour and uniform in a manner akin to that of Arcadian regiments (c.f. the Arcadian 5th):

Units fulfilling a command role such as company command squads display yellow markings.

Units in a support role have blue markings. Examples include heavy weapon squads and dedicated transports.

Assault units such as cavalry and many veteran units are marked with green.

Infantry squads and other such line/tactical units are indicated by red markings.

White indicates conscripts.

Black indicates penitents.

Infantry display these colours on hat bands, trouser stripes and epaulets (in the case of those wearing `soft` armour) or as a vertical stripe over the helmet and the front, back and lower side trim of shoulder pads (in the case of those wearing `hard` armour). Should an officer wear an aiguillette, the primary colour will be that of his unit type, with yellow or gold tips indicating his command position. Dual roles are indicated by combining two colours in these locations.

A couple of fine completions! Fantastic work, well done both your tanks are brilliant! Your background stuff was great to read Kier, very detailed and fleshing out Kierdale's world that much more smile.png I look forward to reading your tank back story baz when you earn that last promotion thumbsup.gif Great stuff, a good day for the barracks indeed the entrants list has been updated biggrin.png

The open hatch and that bustle rack are great additions. How did you do that rack?

Thank you.

The rack was made from a type of plastic sheet I got in a 100 yen store (like a pound shop or dollar store). It's for gardening, to be put in the bottom of plant pots. It's a nasty, cheap plastic which doesn't bend easily nor does it take paint well unless you spray on the undercoat.

So long as you use it for something which won't be handled a lot, it's fine. Good for twisted debris too. ;)

As I mentioned in the teaser thread, once the event is finished if like to try to make a mosaic of the completed models. I want one image of each. If participants could PM me the image (link) of the photo they want me to use (the best photo!) then I'll start collecting them.

Archived