Assault Brigade DKK with Siege DKK allies?

ixzion

Dear commanders of the Astra Militarum, formerly known as the Imperial Guard.

I have recently fell in love completely with the Death Korps and I'm considering building a Death Korps of Krieg army. I really like the look of the static artillery of the Siege army list but I like many aspects of the Assault Brigade list as well. Primarily access to the Chimera storm which looks really bad ass and the Hydra Flak tank is something that I want.

So I'm thinking of allying the two lists with each other. The Assault Brigade will be the primary detachment and will contain mostly the infantry, hydras, chimeras and other fun things. The assault brigade will be supported with elements from the Siege regiment which will provde the heavy artillery and is supported by Engineers and other things that are typically Siege'y.

Is this a viable way to field DKK or is there a better way to get both pieces of the pie?

I'm not au fait with the Krieg lists in detail so someone else will have to clarify allying the two lists together. I'm sure it can be done somehow so maybe the question will be if it's worthwhile? There is nothing stopping you using the same models with the Guard codex so you've always got the option of swapping over for other toys if you want :) I hope you start building your Krieg force soon, look no further than our own ranks to see some fantastic DKoK armies that should inspire you :D

Ah yeah worthwhile was the word I was looking for. I have been checking around this forum and found some really amazing and inspiring DKK!

I'm currently working on a non-40k related side project, but when that is finished I will dedicate myself to Krieg! I will probably start with an infantry platoon because that one I will use either way.

Welcome to the Death Korps!

I mostly use a siege list to be honest but I have used both together, I would recommend

using a siege list with assault allies.

The main reason I'd do it that way is I love the artillery, I usually field a mass gunline with

2 medusas and a battery of 3 earthshaker carriages, as well as many heavy mortars as points allow!

Then some mobile elements for grabbing objectives.

I have run a squad of grenadiers in a storm chimera, a command squad in storm chimera,

also some Deathriders! Mainly because I only have 2 chimeras and love the deathrider models!

I don't think Krieg are over powered but I've had a lot of success with artillery lists.

Another thing to consider is orders, a very important rule. There are orders presented in IA12 as well

as warlord traits for the assualt brigade lists. They're very in keeping with the Krieg mentallity.

Make sure you OK with your opponent which orders you're using, I have a mate who lets me use the 

same orders (IA12) for both detachments while others will only let me use the old ones from Codex Imperial 

Guard for the siege list. Bit annoying but there you have it!

Which ever list you choose remember to bring a high model count, You'll need them!

Hope that goes some way to help.

Thanks for the answer Jud! I checked your thread earlier and you have an absolutely gorgeous Death Korp army! Very inspirational! I hope my future Death Korps will look half as good.

The primary reason why I was considering using the Assault Brigade list as a primary detachment is because the Assault Brigade has their own warlord traits. But I think that using the Siege army as my primary detachment might be a better option any way as I can get more artillery carriages that way smile.png

I was not aware that there was a problem with orders regarding the Siege list. Does that mean that RAW I have to use the old IG codex instead of the Astra Militarum codex?

Also would you consider the Heavy Mortars to be better than the Thuddguns?

I would really like to run 2 medusas and 3 earthshaker cannons as well! They look really awesome!

You could run both as combined arms detachments. The siege list can run a commissar general and 2 engineer squads for relatively cheap which makes things very interesting. I think the use of grenadiers in storm chimeras supported by engineers in centaurs would be quite dynamic plus toss inludicrous amounts of arty and I'm sure the Big Man on the Throne the will smile more often than not.

I often run my Krieg with the Assault list using Siege list allies.  The Assault list is the better of the two and provides a solid basis that the sloppy cut and paste Siege list can compliment nicely.  By mixing and matching you can really get the most out of the free pdf.  Below is what I use as well as a picture of all my Krieg, so some list concessions have been made for the models I own.  I will be ordering a squad of Grenadiers and another Heavy Mortar soon, so I will change the list some, but for now this list has proven quite satisfactory.

Primary: Assault list

Company Command - Power Sword, Ossuary of Blessed Dead, Tech-Priest Militant, Artillerist

Rapier

Rapier

Platoon Command - Plasma Pistol, Platoon Standard, 2 Plasma Guns

Infantry Squad - Plasma Gun

Infantry Squad - Meltagun

Platoon Command - Power Sword, Platoon Standard, 2 Meltaguns

Infantry - Power Sword, Flamer

Infantry - Grenade Launcher

Heavy Weapons Platoon - 3 Lascannon Teams

3 Heavy Mortars - Carcass Shells

Lord of War:

Shadowsword, The Wrath of Martyrs, - hull Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter

Allied: Siege list

Commissar-General - Power Sword

8 Engineers - Demo Charge, Mole Launcher

2 Cyclops

2 Medusa Siege Guns

http://s28.postimg.org/5ttqihulp/Krieg_01.jpg

Thank you for the answer FashaTheDog! I'm glad to hear I'mnot the first to consider this kind of alliance. And your force looks really good! Personally I don't really like the Cyclop as a unit but otherwise I really like your force. That Shadowsword really fits well as a center piece.

I do have one question though. I have noticed that both you and Jud doesn't seem to have any anti-air. Am I missing something? One of the reasons that I wanted to use the Assault Brigade list is because I can then take Hydra Flak Tanks. The Siege list can take the platform but it seens that they are out of production at FW and I prefer the look of the tank any way. How do you Kriegians deal with flyers?

To quote Planet of the Apes:

Cornelius: "Flight is a scientific impossibility!"

Zira: "And even if it weren't, why fly? Where would it get you?"

I deal with flyers by ignoring them until they go way. If I slaughter their ground forces, then the aircraft becomes largely irrelevant. Sure they can do some damage, but unless they bring so much that it blots out the sun, it won't make a enough of a difference for me to bother with them. If they did bring that much air power, then there would have been little I could have done even if I had brought some anti-air to the table. It is also worth noting that the pre-IA12 Krieg list had no anti-air at all so many of us older Krieg players can't be bothered to add it now that we have access because we'd rather buy more artillery and are too stuck in our trenches to look up biggrin.png.

As for the Cyclops, I love them so much. They are based off the Leichter Ladungsträger Goliath, or Goliath tracked mine, used by the Germans in WWII. Now granted Krieg models are wearing French WWI trench coats with German WWI helmets and gas masks, but thematically it still works. Rules-wise, Cyclops are cheap demo charges that many foes underestimate as they figure the 30 point unit will be easy enough to deal with as they only need to kill a Guardsman (who is well hidden) or kill the tank and they neglect it until it is right on top of them diverting fire away from more valuable units and sometimes still getting charged by it. They have done so many wonderful things for me and they are so cheap I really do not need to make room for them in a list.

A wonderful answer! Bravo! I think I know what you mean about fliers. With enough boots on the ground I suppose they won't do too much damage. And the odd flying mc can be swatted out of the sky with enough Dakka! I'm really starting to like this!

Archived