The Thracian Crusade : Gather the brethren !

Ciler

Salutations brothers,

After having been lost in the warp for some 20 years, I have rejoined real space. Much happened within those years though, and perhaps most important of all - as I saw the light of the Astronomican - I had an epiphany, scraped the paint of my old Ultramarines, and gave them the Black.

So yes, I'm a (very) old 40k player who decided to return to the hobby with a Black Templar army, and I would appreciate if you would pass judgement on whether it is worthy of joining the Eternal Crusade. Because there's a twist.

See, I'm the somewhat proud owner of a big white snow dog that I take everywhere with me, including the local GW :

http://reho.st/self/bef6767da6c08c2d4886803fd1aec784f51fd039.jpg - http://reho.st/self/a532653da6fa852c6376c96ac115dbb2019ef713.jpg

This led (at least on our first visit) to a certain amount of hilarity as people thought my Thunderwolf was a tad oversized.

So, ever since, I've been wondering if there would be a way to plug in one fenrisian wolf into a BT army. So here's the story, please let me know what you think of it !

+++ Marshal Remus, the lone wolf of the Black templars +++

During the second phase of the 13th Black Crusade, a fleet of Black Templars was sent to the relief of Thracian Primaris. The planet and its Departmento Munitorum facilities had been under space and ground siege by Chaos forces for several weeks.

Remus, then a Sword Bretheren under Marshal Gellert, was sent under the command of Castellan Sulagon as part of a strike force to make planet fall and secure the Munitorum.

Among the defenders was a small contingent of Space Wolves under Wolf Guard Svelok who were resupplying when the Chaos forces struck. Together with the Wolves, the Black Templars held the Munitorum for several days while in the void the fleet was scattering the Chaos forces.

During the defense of the munitorum, however, both Castellan Sulagon and Svelok were killed – along with most of Remus’ Sword Brethren squad – by a band of traitor marines led by a Champion and a Sorcerer. Remus managed to defeat the champion and held the defence of the sector of the complex in which both commanders had fallen, so that their wargear and gene-seed may be returned to their chapters. The Socerer and the rest of the warband, however, were able to flee into the warp when the space siege was broken.

Once the blockade was fully cleared and the Munitorum deemed safe; the Black Templars returned the fallen Wolves to the warship of Logan Grimnar. On this occasion, Remus swore an oath that he would not rest until both captains and their fallen brothers were avenged. At this, Romulus, the fenrisian wolf that had been fighting alongside Svelok rose and stood in front of the Templar.

With the approval of both the Great Wolf and the High Marshal, Remus was promoted to Marshal of the Thracian Vindication Crusade and tasked with hunting down the traitorous warband, followed each step of the way by the large fenrisian wolf Romulus.

In game terms, I have added a special (house) rule to my Marshal character :

Romulus: Marshal Remus is accompanied in battle by the fenrisian wolf Romulus (10 pts, C:SW pg 77)

The wolf as the same stats as per Codex: Space Wolf for a cost of 10 pts (regular wolves have 8 pt), other than that the Marshal is completely as per C:SM captain rules. Edit : I am aware this is not a valid composition as per actual rules, but I don't intend to enter it in a tourney anyway, the point is to fluff up the army.

This is the current status of the force (please excuse the phone quality photo)

http://reho.st/self/0e3a5596ad45127c2380cf126eccc05db94d1db6.jpg - http://reho.st/self/d75e361f94e9df791170ab418cd9bbb831bbfc91.png

It includes 2 squads of CC crusaders, 2 squads of ranged crusaders, a place-holder castellan for now (while I work on the marshal mini), a chaplain and a techmarine, as well as an assault squad, for circa 700 points. The chaplain, techmarine and assault are metal models dated circa 1992.

WIP include the content of the astrate strike force bundle (Merry Xmas me) : about 20 more crusaders (half CC, half ranged), a command squad, another 5 man assault squad, a razorback, a drop pod and a dread.

Long terms plans include converting deathwing knights into SB termies - does anyone care if you give them power swords instead of thunder hammers ? - repainting my old metal tac termies and some transports (3x LRC and more drop pods).

Edited by Ciler

Only way to legally field a Fenrisian Wolf would be via a Combined Arms Detachment, or similar. That's a minimum 1 HQ, 1 Troops from C:SW.

And that would not allow the Marshal to join the single Fenrisian Wolf. He could however join a unit of 5+ Fenrisian wolves. To make a unit of one marine and one wolf, you would have to make the marshal a lone wolf wolf lord (more appropriate to captain) or similar character that allows purchasing Fenrisian wolves from C:SW. Edited by Quixus

This is a great idea but a bit tough since legally in game terms you would have to ally with Space wolves to get their fen wolves. However modeling purposes I actually used to run panthers with my chaplains/techmarines (as servitors) because I wanted them to be his personal guard. That was back in the old codex so you may only use servitors with techmarines now and they are a squad instead of accessories so its less playable. My recommendations would be to take a inquisitor in terminator armour/or power armour. Then take a couple wolves with him as deamonhosts/deathcult/servitors  and you can paint him up as templar. Then he can be added alongside and still play the wolf without to much investment.

unbound would not work as wolves are purchased in groups of 5 or as wargear to a unit in Space wolves.

Simply have the Marshal be a Wolf Lord. He can still look all templar, just be clear that he's using wolf lord rules. To combine him with the rest of the templar army, it has to be either unbound, or through a combined arms detachment (requires a few more SW units, again, these can be all templar looking, just as everyone is clear on what they are, and they follow SW rules... overall it might be easiest to just use him in unbound... or say screw it and house rule him, but then it IS a house rule).

Most important.

Welcome to the Eternal Crusade Brother Ciler. Can't see your pics?  

Rules, rules, rules! to the eye of terror with them I say. ...well to a point.  If you are gaming within your gaming circle/mates, then why the hell not. 

The idea has always been a thought of mine as well, to have some brute beast type thing(not from the warp), but never actually done it past a raven. From a fluff point I suppose it could work. A more in depth explanation of the bond between Svelok and your Marshal would make the Wolf standing by a new non-spacewolf master more believable. But you aren't writing a book here.

For me, I would not have any issues allowing such a small addition. 

Edited by Eberious

Long terms plans include converting deathwing knights into SB termies - does anyone care if you give them power swords instead of thunder hammers ?

Someone on this forum uses the largest swords he can get his hands on and calls them Gravity blades for his TH+SS termies.

Welcome! They are lovely Templars, good to see some rocking classic red casings too ;)

I like your wolf fluff, and it will no doubt look great on the table. That digital weapons suggestion is cool, basically use the wolf model to represent equipment rather than an attackable model. It's also an easy swap for any opponent who is a bit funny about letting you run him as his true wolfy self ;)

Long terms plans include converting deathwing knights into SB termies - does anyone care if you give them power swords instead of thunder hammers ?

Someone on this forum uses the largest swords he can get his hands on and calls them Gravity blades for his TH+SS termies.

Someone (else?) used langswords and shortswords (GK NF swords and falchions IIRC) as pairs of lightning claws. I wouldn't use that in combination with the "thunderswords" though to avoid confusion.

The Fenrisian Wolf represents Digital Weapons. Problem solved.

Welcome! They are lovely Templars, good to see some rocking classic red casings too :wink:

I like your wolf fluff, and it will no doubt look great on the table. That digital weapons suggestion is cool, basically use the wolf model to represent equipment rather than an attackable model. It's also an easy swap for any opponent who is a bit funny about letting you run him as his true wolfy self :wink:

I really like that idea. I might offer to do that for an opponent that would take issue with the house rule, thanks a lot.

Edit: And oh God, classic ? You mean old, right :sad.: Well yes, I am :tongue.:

Edited by Ciler

Welcome! They are lovely Templars, good to see some rocking classic red casings too :wink:

I like your wolf fluff, and it will no doubt look great on the table. That digital weapons suggestion is cool, basically use the wolf model to represent equipment rather than an attackable model. It's also an easy swap for any opponent who is a bit funny about letting you run him as his true wolfy self :wink:

This is a pretty good idea. Similar to the Watcher model that accompanies Grand Master Azrael, it could be largely decorative. 

So while working on my templar forces I dug up an old Space Marine Captain model, which I figured would make for a nice Sword Bretheren.

I had to extend the cape with green stuff to give to give it the "over the shoulder" BT groove - WIP :

http://reho.st/self/476fff7ac309790073bece7263b2d5b5dfd97a6c.jpg

Finished :

http://reho.st/self/f46e818fa0c87c9abc07879f398026e2c01f8027.jpg

This worthy (i hope) brother will lead my melta squad (multi-melta, melta, 2 bolters, SB+Techmarine). They will be mounted in a Rhino and tasked with taking out "hard" targets from 12" or less. If/when I get the necessary bits, I'll attempt to convert his bolter to combi-melta, for extra firepower.

Edited by Ciler

I'll attempt to convert his bolter to combi-melta, for extra firepower.

First off, you're doing a great job on restoring and giving him new life. He's looking pretty sweet. The above comment made me twitch a little bit because that bolter pose is a classic and it almost hurts to think he would change.

I'm not saying you shouldn't proceed with your plan, but I think I would have considered slinging a melta gun on him ala Helbrecht, just so that I didn't have to mess with his extended arm.

However, please do proceed, you have a good thing going.

Brother Gerhart has rejoined the fray after an extended stay in the apothecarion to make up for the loss of his left arm :

http://reho.st/self/21e0f334772c61dabd0fac50f72c9858e803e8db.jpg

He will lead one of my crusader squads and smite witches and heretics with his dual power fists (which I still need to 'energise' with a few blue highlights). Who cares it's at initiative 0, those puny tanks will burn just the same.

Edit : much like the previous one, this is indeed an early 1990s metal model, here of a blood angel vet sergeant.

Edited by Ciler

The double-fist isn't actually a "tactical" choice (it's a horrible point sink in fact), but a purely visual one. I started with a chained bolt pistol, but it looked small. A plasma pistol looked better but didn't provide much in terms of templar iconography. So I though screw tactical soundness, and I went for the chained power fist in the templar sprue - and I consoled myself with the notion of getting that +1 attack back. An additional fluffy titbit is that the left shoulder pad I used (from the SM captain sprue) appears to be a deathwatch one which reads cestus mortis (deadly fighting glove). SO in the end it all works out.

The cloak clip is the cross from one of the crusader seals (which I have shamelessly copy-molded using green stuff).

Edited by Ciler

• 3 weeks later...

I had posted a first version of this on the crusade of wrath thread, but I've done a bit of additional work on the models so I figured I might as well put it here.

Marshal Remus is now ready for battle, with in particular an extra censer attached to his gun :

http://reho.st/self/a1496a2efcc565dc3c07394c3a0dc7fe9946db60.jpg

Assault squad Vicarius has been equipped with jump packs. The sword brother's arm have been magnetised and can be substituted with a bolt pistol and chainsword if I want to attach those five to my existing (metal) assault squad :

http://reho.st/self/05cd3d98880ae1ae6b43ecbacb3af75f0e15ec33.jpg

Lastly, I have expanded my crusader squads with three new initiates, including one sporting a tabard and power weapon. He will lead the squad if the sword bretheren are required to gather in a single squad :

http://reho.st/self/979f7cd36220df9f035a20b361e79c3acf777143.jpg

Current status of the force (click to zoom) :

http://reho.st/medium/self/344d4c6f720a0cb2258c2cbb107300add2dfa60c.jpg

Edited by Ciler