BB's Sons of Medusa, now with Rogue Trader goodies!

BionicBrain

Heya peeps!

As explained in my intro post, I've been a long time lurker on this forum, and on and off in the hobby for well over 10 years, but to this day i have never modelled and painted a fieldable army, which i now aim to correct!

The army of my choice came to be the Iron hand successor: Sons of Medusa, part because i do like them bionics, and part because the bright green power armour will certainly be a b* to paint!

I am in no way a good painter, mediocre at best, and havn't painted a mini for about 5-6 years, so bear with me and don't be to harsh. I read Elijah7's "3 foot rule" and that is what i follow, if it looks good from afar, it looks god enough!

My initial goal with this project is to be able to field 600 pts worth of marines by the end of this month, or at least the next month, and to slowly work my way up to 1500-2000 pts, with some allied inquisitors and their henchmens.

My first pledge to myself is to model and paint:

1 captain

1 tech-marine with 3 servitors

2 tactical squads

A side-goal and ambition i have is to have every model converted in some degree, be it a simple box-bit swap, or a bionic limb to full on green stuff sculpting, we'll see how long it will take before i tire!

Enough with the typing now, and on with the posting of pictures!

As of this moment, the 1st tactical squad is fully assembled, and 5 of them are wip-painted, some pictures of them will be posted this evening hopefully, but for now, i will post the first 5 marines i assembled, and a spare-part-libby and inquisitor!

+ Purge the weak +

tactical marine with bionic thigh

marine1 front

marine1 back

tactical marine with bionic thighs

marine2 side

marine2 back

tactical marine with bionic left arm

marine3 side

marine3 front

tactical marine with bionic thigh

marine4 front

tactical marine with plasma gun and bionic leg

plasmamarine back

plasmamarine side

bit-built librarian with suitable force axe, doing the 'Supreme´s' move

Lib front2

Lib side

.. and finally, a inquisitor lord of ordo to be decided, and a archaic gun of some sort

Inq front

Inq side

Thank you for watching, more pictures to follow in the near future!

C&C greatly appreciated!

/BB

Thanks for the kind words! smile.png

So, some progress photos as promised:

The first five!

med_gallery_83086_10344_28816.jpg

Still missing highlights, squad insignas, some touchup, and i need to decide how to color their bases, suggestions?

Close up on the bionic leg(s)

med_gallery_83086_10344_57995.jpg

And the rest of the squad, which after the picture was taken is now primed and ready for some paint!

I somehow missed to take a pic of the last member of the squad, but you'll see him in due time i guess!

med_gallery_83086_10344_15171.jpg
med_gallery_83086_10344_67761.jpg

I also drifted of into the bit box and built one ministorum priest to accompany my inquisitor, and also a guy that i guess will be an acolyte:

med_gallery_83086_10344_35199.jpg

med_gallery_83086_10344_51090.jpg

The last thing i primed today was a techmarine/forge-wright, so i guess i will be needing some servitors also!

med_gallery_83086_10344_100730.jpg
med_gallery_83086_10344_51825.jpg
As always, C&C is welcomed!
/BB

+EDIT+ Changed picture links

Heya, a little update coming your way!

med_gallery_83086_10344_111226.jpg

I have now painted a whole squad! Still need to decide what the bases should look like, i think of going for a grey, urban scheme.

Still need to fix squad markings and do some touch up, but i think they are nearing table top ready!

med_gallery_83086_10344_30437.jpg

I also built the captain who will lead this small force, will most likely be replaced with a MotF when i go for 1000+ pts.

I think he looks blinge enough to be a captain, and not just a model built from the sternguard kit.

med_gallery_83086_10344_104540.jpg

I'm also changing my pledge for this 600 pts force, the techmarine with servitors will be replaced with a vindicator, for cost- and time reasons (I all ready had a vindicator laying around).

As for the rest of the force, i now have fully assembled the second tactical squad, pictures of that will be posted later this day, probably. THey and the vindicator will be primed during the day, and hopefully also get some paint on them!

Tnx for watching, comments always appreciated!

/BB

• 2 weeks later...

So.. slow progress is slow, work has taken up alot of the time the last, and this, week. I have, however, painted half of the second tectical squad, and the vindicator is now green, but hav'nt been able to take some pics and post them! Plans are that they will be finished tonight, along with the captain.

Our local store is having an 600/1200 pts tournament on sunday which i hope i'll be able to participate in, first game since 4th ed, yay!

Anyway, i've decided on how to paint and style my bases, and it will be a marsian/australian ochre, with the picture below as inspiration!

http://dcyb8aywanw4q.cloudfront.net/images/assets/fullsizeaustralia-outbackedge-summer2_11315973138.jpg
(Image courtesy of CISabroad)

I'm really hoping to capture the intense orange, almost firey, color as i think that will complement the emerald of the Sons greatly!

To summarize, i WILL (promise) post pics of the second tac squad, and the vindicator, and hopefully also get them tabletop ready tonight, hang tight!

/BB

Picture time!

First a test of the base recipe im trying out. Quite pleased, i think i captured the color pretty good!

med_gallery_83086_10344_104209.jpg

Some wip pics of the second tactical squad, still missing chapter badge and squad insignia.

med_gallery_83086_10344_80408.jpg

med_gallery_83086_10344_162620.jpg

The other half of the squad, in varying degrees of readiness.

med_gallery_83086_10344_79551.jpg

med_gallery_83086_10344_268678.jpg

Some progress picures of Captain Caeus, master of relics, company captain of the Atropos Clan support company! With a teleport homer on a removable 40 mm base.

med_gallery_83086_10344_195464.jpgmed_gallery_83086_10344_130700.jpg
I've also manufatured some count-as HB servitors to accompany inquisitor Salvor Hardin in his journeys, and started to get some paint on him. I'm uncertain on what color to paint the armor in, at first i thought bronze, but i fear that with both the gun and aquila being that color, the parts will melt with the ret of the model. Another color i was thinking of was white, but whit the fur on the shoulders being that color, the same problem might occur there. Anyone got an idea? smile.png

med_gallery_83086_10344_89684.jpg

med_gallery_83086_10344_195728.jpg

Another addition to his retinue is the serious faced hospitaller Herz, an acolyte to keep the others alive!

med_gallery_83086_10344_106544.jpgmed_gallery_83086_10344_44366.jpg

The vindicator is also coming together, i used the same technique as on the power armor with the green color, and i can't decide if it looks too "mottled" or if it's ok. Will be putting some gothic text and other markings in white, so that might break of the uniformity a bit.

med_gallery_83086_10344_70628.jpg

Lastly I've made some bionics for a to be decided marine, the focus now will be to finish the first little strike force, then plan on how to expand it!

med_gallery_83086_10344_53981.jpg
med_gallery_83086_10344_89214.jpg

C&C greatly appreciated, thank you for watching!

/BB

Update: only bases, chapter badge and tac squad markings left, plus a little touch-up, and then i have 600 pts of playable marines, yay!

Here's a picture of the strike force so far, with pay-check coming in today, reinforcements will be coming in this weekend! I'm thinking a squadron of land speeders (are anyone using them?) and a dreadnought, the Sons are IH by geneseed after all, so a little dread is mandatory!

gallery_83086_10344_204650.jpg

Cheers

/BB

I love the green you chose for your Sons, fantastic work and amazing looking bionics.

Thank you! :)

dread(s)

I dug up the remains of an old dread i never got the time to finish, so with parts from the new venerable one i'll make two revered brothers to accompany the strike force, stay tuned!

/BB

As one can see in the previous post (and the picture below), the old faithful dread that has been living in my bit box for the last couple of years desperately needed a face lift! Unfortunately, the face plates from the venerable kit (and im guessing the ordinary one too?) didn't match the old version, so i had to take the scalpel to his face, but he turned out all right!

med_gallery_83086_10344_144236.jpg
The only thing that needs to be done is to GS the cables at the sides of the face plate, and he's good to go!

med_gallery_83086_10344_83721.jpg

I've never really liked the look of the dreadnought missile launcher, and as the ven.kit didn't supply me with one, i decided to build one instead! The concept is basically an ML that looks like the ones the marines use, but a couple of sizes larger, with missiles being belt fed into it, so with that i started building, and the below pictures is how far i've come as of this instant.

med_gallery_83086_10344_91889.jpgmed_gallery_83086_10344_120540.jpg

I'm thiniking of adding some gs/plasticard where the missiles and launcher meet, to emulate the loading hatch, and also adding som targeting devices somewhere, but that is the general look of it that i was going for.

Pointers, does it fly, or is there something i should change or add/remove?

/BB

So, progress is slow, but progress is progress. I've assembled the derads to my liking, and i think they are ready for priming, but the weather here in northern europe isn't cooperating as can be seen in the following pic; the view from my window:

Bad priming weather

I might be able to sneak a priming run in the basement without getting any heat from the land lord, we'll see!

Anyhow, here's some progress pics of what i've been busy with for my Atropos clan:

First, revered brother Hellus, ready to pump some lead into heretics and xenos alike!

med_gallery_83086_10344_97277.jpg

Nothing really out of the ordinary here, he's got some cloth to his waist that will house heraldy, and a scull face from the tactical sprue.

Next, his brother in arm, revered brother arcus, the marksman!

med_gallery_83086_10344_49350.jpgmed_gallery_83086_10344_28688.jpg

I'm quite happy about the way the missile launcher turned out, and i don't think that i will have to add something more to it. As you can see, i didn't find the base he was supplied with, so currently im rebuilding one from cardboard and green stuff.

A little side project i've dubbed "how to desecrate an STC" came up with this little thing; a thunderfire cannon on legs!

med_gallery_83086_10344_67783.jpg
med_gallery_83086_10344_133725.jpg
med_gallery_83086_10344_14084.jpg

currently pre-green stuff, but i think most of the pieces required to make it look like a thunderfire is there, i think i still need to beef out the platform a bit tho.

Lastly, i picked up this from the store yesterday, after all, what is an IH successor without TDA?

termies!

Unfortunately, i've run out of glue, so no wip-termies this time!

Thanks for watching, C&C always welcomed!

/BB

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy, update time!

Sadly, the dreads are still black as the night, being only primed, and im still waiting for my anvil industries order to arrive, so no updates on the termies either.

But alas, don't worry, the rest of the firce has gotten some paint since last time!

First, i've come to the point that i feel that the first (well, second if going by their designation) squad is table top ready, and that should be celebrated with a post in the hall of honour, so check that out when i post them! A sneek peek is mr. studs below, as can be seen, and should be present on all models when im done, is the campaign badge worn on the right leg. The badge is for a to-be-namned campaign Xenos inquisitor Salvor Hardin is in command of, twarting an orc Waaagh! in the eastern fringe of Ultima Segmentum, and is presented as a read and yellow shield.

med_gallery_83086_10344_39395.jpg
Speaking of Hardin, i've managed to get some paint on him to, as can be seen below. It's only the base layers, but you should get the general idea of what im going for. I havn't descided if the shoulder pads should be painted white to give more contrast to the figure, or not. Thoughts?
med_gallery_83086_10344_100810.jpg
The ammo crate/psi-amplifier on the gun is another thing i'm not sure how to approach. I'm thinking lightning effects in blue/white or maybe green, anyone got any good ideas? smile.png
med_gallery_83086_10344_82469.jpg
The cape will get some attempt on freehand, at least some lining pattern at the bottom!
med_gallery_83086_10344_91412.jpg
Captain Caeus has also gotten some more colour, and im trying to figure out what to paint on his banner. I might just go with a more stylised chapter logo, along the lines of a gorgoneion, with a skull and snake-hair!
med_gallery_83086_10344_15593.jpg
Lastly, the tank hunting squad/clave is coming along good, with touch ups and insignias left before i can call them finished! (sorry for the blurry photo, didn't realize it until i loaded the pics and packed away the camera).
med_gallery_83086_10344_359357.jpg
Some more bolter weilding death machines!
med_gallery_83086_10344_104741.jpg
I'm especially happy with the terminator-esque face plate on the marine in the back, i feel he captures the IH feeling! Also, the colour on the cables to the multi-melta really pops with the uniformity of the green! (at least in my head) ^^
med_gallery_83086_10344_170972.jpg
The vindicator has also got some more love, but i forgot to take a pic of that, so it might just turn up in the HoH-thread for the next post!
C&C, as always, greatly appreciated, it's lonely speaking to oneself for too long tongue.png
Cheers!
/BB

I'd say that you're of to a good start man. It's nice to see the a less known chapter getting some love and I think you manages to pull of their colour scheme in a pretty nice way, your conversions are what's really giving them some extra character though. Keep up the good work thumbsup.gif

So.. slow progress is slow, work has taken up alot of the time the last, and this, week. I have, however, painted half of the second tectical squad, and the vindicator is now green, but hav'nt been able to take some pics and post them! Plans are that they will be finished tonight, along with the captain.

Our local store is having an 600/1200 pts tournament on sunday which i hope i'll be able to participate in, first game since 4th ed, yay!

Anyway, i've decided on how to paint and style my bases, and it will be a marsian/australian ochre, with the picture below as inspiration!

http://dcyb8aywanw4q.cloudfront.net/images/assets/fullsizeaustralia-outbackedge-summer2_11315973138.jpg

(Image courtesy of CISabroad)

I'm really hoping to capture the intense orange, almost firey, color as i think that will complement the emerald of the Sons greatly!

To summarize, i WILL (promise) post pics of the second tac squad, and the vindicator, and hopefully also get them tabletop ready tonight, hang tight!

/BB

I can't believe i somehow missed this until after i had done my own Martian soil based off the Australian red-dirt-country colours i spent 6 years of my childhood in.

By the way, that dust stains! clothes on the washing line hit by a dust-storm will never be quite white again. And even though i live up in the mountains many miles away the concrete down the driveway is still stained by red-orange dust from two states away from the gigantic dust storms of a few years back. The willy-willy or dust-devil, slow spiralling micro-tornadoes (ranging fom mere inches to massive) always carry with them a strange eerie feeling.

MrBear - Thanks! We'll see how long before converting every model gets to bothersome, but it's working so far!

deathspectrersgt7 - Thanks! Hopefully i'll get some paint on the dreads in the near near future!

Battybattybats - Likewise, your thread is amazing, a treasure chest for inspiration if i someday do a small coven of Moirae followers! I'll try to keep the thing about the dust stains in mind when i weather the robes of the forge-wrights!

Also, this just came with the mail, so now i can get started with the TDA clad sergeants for my marines, pics will come!

anvilss

The chain glaives was a impulse buy, not sure if they will be used with the SoM, but i thought: might as well get my money worth with the shipping and all!

So, time to start building, 'til next time!

/BB

Soo, i bought a box of assault termies, since i figured that they harmonize better with the type of list i have in mind of building!

This also gave me the opportunity to try my hands on making the Iron Thane of Atropos war clan, Vaylund Cal!

As the expansions aren't really used in our turnies, he is represented in game as a Master of the Forge with Shield eternal and a thunder hammer!

I found a servo harness in my bit box, but since the forge wright seen in the begining of the thread allready makes use of one of the servo arms, i figured, let's build some instead!

med_gallery_83086_10344_54488.jpg
Flamer arm
med_gallery_83086_10344_18976.jpg
Servo arm
med_gallery_83086_10344_11840.jpg
Connection to the harness power supply
med_gallery_83086_10344_89417.jpg
Not sure if this will suffice as artificer armour, or if i should beefen it out a bit. I think the terminator shoulder pads will help, so i might be set anyway.
med_gallery_83086_10344_347654.jpg

I've also started building the Battle company captain Bardacus, first of the Watch, with just some small conversions!

Added a plate from the dreadnought kit to protect his holier areas, and the iron halo thing from the same kit to his neck guard

gallery_83086_10344_9258.jpg
Changed the swords pommel to the skull thingie from the assault termie kit, that looks like the Sons of Medusa chapter icon!
med_gallery_83086_10344_56574.jpg
Also changed the storm bolter to one from the sternguard kit!
gallery_83086_10344_9174.jpg

Havn't decided on what heads to use yet, altho the once from Anvil do look tempting, but i was planning on using them on the assault termies!

I've begun to get paint on the dreads, just the metallics as of now, so not much to show, but, you know, always fun to post pictures!

Not sure on how to colour them, if i should go with fully green, or as the one portrayed in IA, that is mechanicus red apart from a shin guard.

med_gallery_83086_10344_56910.jpg

That's all i've got for y'all this time, enjoy!

/BB

Cool chapter you picked bionicbrain. The green and white scheme looks great, especially the green. Those scratch builds are really cool. I saw the tank in your other thread too. Very nice. Keep it up. The pictures are really small on my phone. Have you thought about just posting the larger pictures? Theres a button that allows you to pick different sizes under the options menu in your gallery on the right somewhere. It would help some of us smart phone users check out your work. Cool stuff though. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the dreadnaught.

Radiation - Thanks! Regarding the picture size.. yeah, I've tried to find the option to choose the size when posting from the "My Media" button in the editor, but have had no luck in finding it. Might just have to do the ordinary "img /img" picture linking with the medium sized picture link in the future!

Might even go back and edit the pics above in this tread!

/BB

• 5 months later...

So, it's been a while.. Motivation dipped and summer got in the way, but i at least have some new models to show you!

The SoM has been shalfed for the moment, might dust them of if i decide to finish a playable army, but for now, my mind took me in a different direction!

My favorite type of character in the 40k has always been the rogue trader, a fearless, greedy captain, steering his ship and his men into the great unknown abyss, plundering and annexing new worlds to the emperors domains!

So i thought, why not make one?

For the moment, i don't have so much backstory for him and his crew, but i intend to write some short stories up, to give the guys some more characters, as this probably won't ever become a full playable army, just some cool characters to build and paint!

Enough of that, here you have some pictures!

gallery_83086_11140_122021.jpg

First up, the Rogue Trader himself, Hober Mallow, of the house Shedir. I must say that i really dig the comissar sculpt, been cruising the web, and i'm not the only one thinking that it makes a great RT!

gallery_83086_11140_69341.jpg

Next up, the arch militant of Mallows personal army, Captain Harkness of the Longcoats.

gallery_83086_11140_70225.jpg

gallery_83086_11140_96616.jpg

What is a commander without armsmen? Here is two loadouts of the Longcoats, probably count as bolter-acolyte and crusader.

gallery_83086_11140_89137.jpg

gallery_83086_11140_79062.jpg

What is a better thing to keep the ratings of the ship in line when they accompany Mallow on a new world, than a oversized hull-cutter/waymaker, here held by the grand motivator Agusto himself.

gallery_83086_11140_81568.jpg

gallery_83086_11140_77308.jpg

A good thing to have around any self respecting explorer is a bounty hunter, here the one known only as the Mandalorian. Equipped with jet pack, power maul and toxin needler, he is ready to take home the wanted criminals of the imperium.

gallery_83086_11140_132928.jpg

gallery_83086_11140_142935.jpg

To boldy go where no one has gone, sometimes it is good to know the way. Here we have one of the navigators accompanying Mallow, navigator Char Elson.

gallery_83086_11140_26649.jpg

gallery_83086_11140_1103.jpg

gallery_83086_11140_149065.jpg

Always looking for forgotten technology, the AdMech often follow along on trade fleets, here we have Magos Explorator Desoto.

I've already got some paint on a couple of the guys, but have yet to take any pictures, might post some in the afternoon!

'til then, enjoy, and if you have some ideas for a cool henchmen that a RT should have, please to give me some tips!

Cheers!

/BB

Part of the ship, part of the crew.

As promised, more pictures!

Both some in progress pics of the above units, and some new members of the crew.

First, the newcomers:

gallery_83086_11140_126084.jpg

gallery_83086_11140_93110.jpg

Fearless follower of Mallow, this advisor helps bring the flaming justice of the emperor to the dark places of the universe, quite literally!

gallery_83086_11140_6046.jpggallery_83086_11140_13607.jpggallery_83086_11140_125429.jpgWhen it comes to capable crewmen, one cant be picky with how pure of gene they might be! This is a ogryn bodyguard wielding a plasma cannon, just in case!

gallery_83086_11140_32562.jpg

Another of the longcoats!

gallery_83086_11140_111705.jpggallery_83086_11140_106.jpg

This, I'm not so sure with. As of now, i have the chaos cultists, with stars and spikes removed, as ratings of the ship. To flesh that force out, the above was created, not so sure though if the cadian helmet is to big to be placed on a empire flagellant body. Any thoughts?

On to the painted guys!

We'll start with the longcoats!

gallery_83086_11140_84943.jpggallery_83086_11140_22739.jpg

gallery_83086_11140_85725.jpg

Followed up by the crew 'motivator'

gallery_83086_11140_40206.jpggallery_83086_11140_16095.jpg

The magos explorator:

gallery_83086_11140_113030.jpggallery_83086_11140_125825.jpg

The navigator:

gallery_83086_11140_201092.jpggallery_83086_11140_175194.jpg

The mandolorian, might be too out there, don't know really!

gallery_83086_11140_4567.jpggallery_83086_11140_39237.jpg

Last, but not least, Bounty Hunter Mallow himself!

gallery_83086_11140_132283.jpggallery_83086_11140_23261.jpg

++PHOTO DUMP COMPLETE++

There you go, 'til next time, please drop a comment below!

Cheers!

/BB

Archived