Artificer Armour Colour? (+Plasma Pistol Terminators?)

awilden

I'm not sure if this is hidden in the fluff of the codex (or in plain sight but i haven't noticed), but is all artificer armour meant to be gold? like the Sanguinary Guard and Tycho? (obviously his Death Company armour is black because DC is black), or would you paint up say a Captain wearing artificer armour red? or am i looking too much into this, and i should paint it whatever colour looks best for me lol.

Also while I'm asking about a Captain load-out, it seems that you can take the Fury of Baal (master-crafted/doesn't get hot plasma pistol), is that right? i made a thread asking about how to do a conversion on it (since i have not seen any plasma pistols for terminators, or conversion tutorials), but i assume that any HQ can take one per army of the Relics of Baal, and that includes HQ in terminator armour that allow taking relics of baal.

Other than being master crafted and doesn't get hot, having a pistol for the +1 Attack (in addition to say having the Valour’s Edge), would be really nice, just curious if that's legal, and does in fact give the +1 Attack?

Up to you. Mephiston and Astorath have red artificer armour. Blood Angel Techmarines have usually been red too.

Practically every Captain the Studio have ever painted has been red. Erasmus "No! Not my pretty face!" Tycho is the exception really, and he's always been a bit of a tart. Enough precedent to go either way.

Honour Guard/Command Squad have also been painted both ways, and they wear regular power armour.

It is very much a case of "your army, your paint scheme". I personally think that more red and a bit less gold looks good. As each piece of artificer armour is supposed to be a hand-crafted relic, it would seem a bit odd if they all had to be a regulation colour.

Captain: "Brother, that suit of armour is truly the work of master-craftsman but why is it red?"

Techmarine: "My Lord, I have painted this armour in the honoured livery of our Chapter."

Captain: "Sorry brother, regulation 46A sub-section Epsilon clearly states that all non-standard armour must be painted in regulation gold. It is The rule of bling!"

Techmarine: "???"

I would paint your AA whichever color you want. Personally I would not paint themgold unless I was trying to show the character was a former SG.

Ws for the plasma pistol, not sure what.would look good for a terminator captain. My instinct is GW did not intwnd for a twrminator character to take the Fury of Bal and therefore get +1 attack but it is legal.

Thanks for the replies, i forgot the tech-marine wears artificer armour, i guess it makes sense that they'd be custom coloured, and a red scheme would be the best, and tycho being the gold exception does make sense with him being all vain and wearing the phantom of the opera mask (and then not caring so much once he fell to the Black Rage lol).

By the way, what was the colour scheme for the helmet of a captain (in power armour)? i mean it was red for tac, yellow for assault, blue for dev, gold for veteran, so gold for cap? I haven't really seen any Captains modelled with helmets, all of them tended to have bare heads.

I normally would go bare head for all characters, but i was thinking of also having an artificer armoured cap (along with the terminator cap), and the AA cap was going to have a jump pack and i thought for the jump pack guys, they best wear helmets if they're arriving by deep strike (avoid a nasty accident :-P or maybe they are jumping from such a high altitude they'll burn their faces off entering the atmosphere lol), terminators not so much since that's teleporting, the characters there can do without a helmet. (I do realise technically speaking they all should wear helmets lol, and taking it off would be stupid given getting shot in the head and dangerous atmospheres on planets, but just a little bit of realism helps with the fluff, and makes for interesting models).

I assumed the gold helmet was for veteran units (and captains are veterans obviously), or is it specifically for the veteran squads? (vanguard/sternguard).

Gold helmets are not just veterans but specifically 1st Company IIRC. It would not necessarily follow that a Captain would be a former 1st company member. I would suspect that each company would have its own command hierarchy with internal promotions being the norm rather than a 1st company vet being helicoptered in every time an officer died.

Having said that, the helmet colour thing has always been a bit haphazard. Going by the letter of the law, Terminators should have golden helmets too (I actually think that would look pretty cool). I paint all my regular infantry with red helmets, regardless of whether that are Tactical, Devastator or Assault. I have done my Vets with gold helmets as I think it looks cool but blue helmets does not look right to me on Devastators, that is how I paint my Librarians.

The main thing is, paint your army the way you would like it to look. If I get some new Terminators, I am tempted to give them gold helmets. On the other hand, I am seriously contemplating giving my Sanguinary Guard red armour with just golden helmets. Too many choices....

Gold helmets are not just veterans but specifically 1st Company IIRC. It would not necessarily follow that a Captain would be a former 1st company member. I would suspect that each company would have its own command hierarchy with internal promotions being the norm rather than a 1st company vet being helicoptered in every time an officer died.

Having said that, the helmet colour thing has always been a bit haphazard. Going by the letter of the law, Terminators should have golden helmets too (I actually think that would look pretty cool). I paint all my regular infantry with red helmets, regardless of whether that are Tactical, Devastator or Assault. I have done my Vets with gold helmets as I think it looks cool but blue helmets does not look right to me on Devastators, that is how I paint my Librarians.

The main thing is, paint your army the way you would like it to look. If I get some new Terminators, I am tempted to give them gold helmets. On the other hand, I am seriously contemplating giving my Sanguinary Guard red armour with just golden helmets. Too many choices....

Is that right that the BA terminators should have gold helmets? that is so awesome :-) i would totally paint my terminators helmets all gold (i have the Vallejo Liquid Gold paint, which would look so cool on them), i haven't as yet gotten around to painting the terminators. I had assumed that they were meant to be red given all the pictures from the codex/etc (i thought i read somewhere that the terminator sergeants had striped helmets as well?). If that's right I'm so painting the 2 squads i have (bar the sergeants/other characters who will go bare headed) all gold, mmmm shiny Liquid Gold :-D

I think the sanguinary guard being red+gold helmets sounds awesome, i think having all gold kinda saturates the effect and takes away from having brilliant shiny gold trimmings/accessories/helmets, and having a nice deep (maybe shiny with a gloss/satin coat of varnish?) blood red armoured sanguinary guard with shiny gold helmets would look very cool indeed.

I guess my main problem/question has been about what was technically legal for the BA, i didn't really want to do something and then have it pointed out that 'well technically blood angels can only have xyz since that unit/model is abc' or as bad would be finding out myself by reading some fluff in the codex I'm the sort of person that finds small things like that very irritating (sort of the nagging itch you try to ignore, but cant and end up scratching it lol), and would probably end up having to re-paint something or my modelling/painting OCD would go into overdrive lol. Like if something can be modelled/painted as x or y I'd pick whichever looks the most awesome, but if it can only be x and never y (because of fluff/etc. then even if y looks cooler I'd go with x.

Helmet stripes are the standard Codex marking for a sergeant. Blood Angels don't use it - their Sergeants have black pauldrons (red trim, if it has it) with a yellow/gold icon, to distinguish them from the red pad with black icon of the regulars.

Squad Leaders (the guy who leads the second combat squad if you split ten men) don't have rules any more, but if you want you can paint them up too. They have yellow/gold on black pauldrons like a Sergeant. They were originally distinguished from Sergeants by the main colour of their back banner - red on black for Sergeant, black on red for Squad Leader - but it should be pretty obvious from the models these days.

The most consistent version of helmets I can come up with is that gold helmets are for all power armoured Veteran squads, but not Veteran Sergeants of regular squads. Terminators have never been shown with gold helmets. There's a 2nd Company standard bearer in the old codex with red armour and a gold helmet - he's obviously a Veteran, and obviously not 1st Company - and they repeated that for the 2nd Company Command Squad in the new codex.

According to the old 3rd edition codex only Honour Guard units wear golden helmets.

"Regular" vets seems to wore red in the old days except the Veteran Assault Squats who used yellow helmets like the Regular Assault Squats.

They could be identified with a white skull marking on their right shoulder like all members of the 1st Company.

Terminators never used something other than red since the old days of orignal Space Hulk.

The golden veteran helmets began with the last edition codex.

I completely agree. I was simply mentioning gold helmets on Termies as something I think would look cool. Here is someone who has done red Sanguinary guard and I think they look pretty smart.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2010/6/19/114169_md-Blood%20Angels,%20Flesh%20Tearers,%20Resin%20Bases,%20Sanguinary%20Guard.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2010/3/19/91102_md-Assault%20Marines,%20Blood%20Angels,%20Captain,%20Sanguinary%20Guard,%20Vanguard,%20Veteran.JPG

And a golden helmet Terminator here.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee199/Karhedronuk/Termie_zps9d43d850.jpg

I do my Sanguinary Guard as red, but I run my own successor chapter so I can justify my color schemes, own heroes, and campaigns without stepping on the toes of the great ones :D

The way I do my gold helmets go back to the days of third edition. Only my honor guard (now just "command squads," but still... honor guard) and Sanguinary Guard have gold helmets. 

But yeah, *most* artificer armor isn't gold, but can be, it's up to you.

I just did my own captain and I plan on painting his armor red and giving him artificer armor as per the rules. I looked through all the fluff and game rules and I noticed Marneus Calgar was wearing what looked to be ornate power armor colored a standard ultramarine blue. I figured if Papa Smurf can get away with it then any Blood Angels line captain can

I just did my own captain and I plan on painting his armor red and giving him artificer armor as per the rules. I looked through all the fluff and game rules and I noticed Marneus Calgar was wearing what looked to be ornate power armor colored a standard ultramarine blue. I figured if Papa Smurf can get away with it then any Blood Angels line captain can

Archived