On Black, Bloody Wings - AE Death Company WIP

Bryan Blaire

Thank you for the tip, keeblerartillery, I'll have to go with nitrile, because latex is a no-go for me.

moylan1993, thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you like 'im! Sadly, work has me far, far away from my paints and materials, so I'll not be working on him for another few months.

• 2 months later...

So after several months, I'm finally back to put brush to model! So, progress:

gallery_59244_10325_612.jpggallery_59244_10325_12220.jpg

gallery_59244_10325_14052.jpggallery_59244_10325_2245.jpg

I've been planning to try and do the Crux Terminatus in a "stone appearance" as best I can, but I'm not sure if I can make it look good. It might also look a lot like a Blood Angel's pad (which wouldn't be that bad, since they are from the BA blood line) that way, so I'd definitely be willing to hear some alternative suggestions.

For the other pauldron, I'm planning on doing the laurel in either green or yellow (yellow would match his breastplate), with the Chapter symbol bat wings in red on the black background, with a blood red crystal drop in the center. I'm currently thinking they'll need to be lighter than the deep carmine color I'm using for his armor itself, to ensure they show up well.

Sadly, that may be as far as he's going to get for a little while, but he will get finished! He still needs all the detail work and highlighting done across the model for the most part. But hey, it's progress and I definitely want to break my "model every half-year" completion rate, so here's hoping this guy will provide some extra prompting.

Edit: Jeez, I just realized how much darker he looks without the extra lamps lighting the front of the model.

Very nice work, the face in particular is stunning!

Thanks Chaplain Mikey! I'm pretty happy with how his face turned out, because I don't particularly like painting skin. I did want to show a possible outward display of why the Angels Encarmine always have such a high Death Company count.

Anything that you think particularly cries out for an adjustment or some repainting/different painting?

That sword is very fitting for the larger terminator size. Good job!

Thanks, Spagunk! I like how it turned out so far, but it's definitely not done just yet. I'm going to be trying my best to get the blade a green power field effect going in the next couple of weeks.

Anything that you think particularly cries out for an adjustment or some repainting/different painting?

Very nice work, the face in particular is stunning!

Thanks Chaplain Mikey! I'm pretty happy with how his face turned out, because I don't particularly like painting skin. I did want to show a possible outward display of why the Angels Encarmine always have such a high Death Company count.

That sword is very fitting for the larger terminator size. Good job!

Thanks, Spagunk! I like how it turned out so far, but it's definitely not done just yet. I'm going to be trying my best to get the blade a green power field effect going in the next couple of weeks.

Only thing I'd comment on is the base really. Any ideas what you'll be doing with it?

Only thing I'd comment on is the base really. Any ideas what you'll be doing with it?

I'm basing this group on the Bloodstorm box, so they are going to be fighting 'Nids, but I saw a very cool image (I think in WD) of a Spawn of Cryptus standing on his 'Nid thingy that was protruding from a cityscape and thought "Hmmm, could definitely do A cityscape for my guys".

• 4 weeks later...

So finally got some of the painting groove back and finished (well, aside from the text on the scrolls) my Angels Encarmine Terminator Sgt (still nameless). Please excuse the potentially lower quality photos, had to use a different camera to take images and have a single lamp right now and no background.

med_gallery_59244_10325_4671.jpgmed_gallery_59244_10325_39611.jpg

med_gallery_59244_10325_6324.jpgmed_gallery_59244_10325_87078.jpg

Some parts I'm particularly proud of:

Blade on the sword is done in a silver gradient, with a green glazed power field over most of the blade, with a power field effect painted in white, then glazed over, then re-highlighted with a white power effect (really hope this comes out well - you can see more of the metallic shine in the full character photo):

med_gallery_59244_10325_10946.jpg

Small tilting shield with the background done in "red gold" (gold painted and shaded as normal, with highlights, then glazed with two/three layers of Bloodletter glaze):

gallery_59244_10325_8647.jpg

Pauldron with the black background, red blood drop and Chapter symbol wings done in yellow, shaded and highlighted, green honor wreath and gold gem holder:

gallery_59244_10325_21079.jpg

My first attempt at a stone Crux Terminatus (cracks aren't the best):

gallery_59244_10325_25079.jpg

Holy moly that looks fantastic!

Love the yellow chapter symbol behind the wreath.

Thanks! Anything in particular you like, don't like or would change?

What's your recipe for the purple stone/blood drops.

D

The purple is (almost embarrassingly) pretty easy:

Paint:

1) Black base coat

2) About 2/3rds of the gem with Naggaroth Night on a "slanted curve" (lower on the side where the light is coming from, curving to higher away from the light)

3) Run a thinned coat of Nuln Oil across the Naggaroth to tint it darker

4) About 1/2 of the gem again with Naggaroth Night on a "slanted curve"

5) About 1/4th of the gem with Xereus Purple on a "slanted curve"

6) Highlight the very bottom of the gem with Genestealer Purple

7) Put two small dots of white at the top of the gem on the side where the light is coming from for the model, and if you really want, paint a super thin line (or just a dot) of white at the very bottom of the gem

8- Gloss coat the entire gem ('Ard Coat or preferred gloss varnish)

It seems like a lot of steps, but since it is a small area, it goes very quickly. Hope that helps!

Holy moly that looks fantastic!

Love the yellow chapter symbol behind the wreath.

Thanks! Anything in particular you like, don't like or would change?

Personally, I think the red armour is a touch too dark for Angels Encarmine. I did the same for my Angels Encarmine and everyone always assumes they're Flesh Tearers. Which is why I'm in the process of re-painting them...

I love what you've done with the face, I wish I'd gone for a stronger vampiric vibe on some aspects of my models. It's hard trying to find the balance between a noble and monstrous look.

D

Personally, I think the red armour is a touch too dark for Angels Encarmine. I did the same for my Angels Encarmine and everyone always assumes they're Flesh Tearers. Which is why I'm in the process of re-painting them...

I love what you've done with the face, I wish I'd gone for a stronger vampiric vibe on some aspects of my models. It's hard trying to find the balance between a noble and monstrous look.

D

Awesome, thanks for the response!

Yeah, I purposefully chose to do a "deep carmine" color (it's actually darker than what comes from the suggested "Khorne Red + 2 washes of Nuln Oil" color scheme from the Flesh Tearers in White Dwarf) because I really think it is silly that GW made the Angels Encarmine "officially" use vermillion armor and the Angels Vermillion use carmine armor.

Plus I prefer a darker tone overall, both for my game setting and my Chapters, and while the Flesh Tearers may be on the road to destruction due to their gene-seed flaw mutating further, the idea that the Angels Encarmine number a high amount of Death Company indicates they may be riding the raggedy edge as well, lending me to want the darker armor tone more.

I like the vampiric skin tone, I'm hoping I can reproduce it again! As earlier, I much prefer the darker side of the Blood Angels gene-line, and while their intentions may be noble, I prefer to think that their actions are a little less controlled and their internal war much more savage and violent than usually preferred (and that the Blood Angels lose those internal battles much more often than the official story would indicate).

Fantastic work!
I love all the pics of the details such as the Power Sword and the tilting shield. It's those details and the effort that you've put into them that makes the model so enjoyable to see. I also think the stone Terminatus looks good, the cracks are very well done. Just needs some freehand script on the scroll. :)

Fantastic work!

I love all the pics of the details such as the Power Sword and the tilting shield. It's those details and the effort that you've put into them that makes the model so enjoyable to see. I also think the stone Terminatus looks good, the cracks are very well done. Just needs some freehand script on the scroll. :)

Thanks Chaplain Mikey! I think the small one may get "Fury" on it, but still blank on a name for this guy.

This guy will be getting reinforcements soon, I'm assembling his squad and "Captain Karlean" as we speak.

Fantastic work!

I love all the pics of the details such as the Power Sword and the tilting shield. It's those details and the effort that you've put into them that makes the model so enjoyable to see. I also think the stone Terminatus looks good, the cracks are very well done. Just needs some freehand script on the scroll. smile.png

Thanks Chaplain Mikey! I think the small one may get "Fury" on it, but still blank on a name for this guy.

This guy will be getting reinforcements soon, I'm assembling his squad and "Captain Karlean" as we speak.

Can't wait to see the reinforcements. :)

Got the base colors and shading on two of the Angels Encarmine Death Company done:

med_gallery_59244_11212_63511.jpg

Working on a full squad has been pretty gratifying, I think I'm going to try and work on squads of 3-5 members (depending on what the unit is) as long as I can keep interested in the same thing. I think these guys are going to look pretty good once I get them based.

Very nice indeed. There's something very eye-catching about the white DC.

D

White death company? Strangely appealing.. :huh:

Agreed gents! One of the more interesting things about the Angels Encarmine to me! My biggest challenge will be making sure the tone of the bone doesn't fade it into the white. I'm thinking that I might be best off making a 1:1 mix of Zandri Dust:Ushtabi Bone and using that for the mid-tone and using pure Ushtabi for the final highlight, just to keep the color from getting too bright.

When I did mine I used a lot of greys to build up to the white, it gave it a very contrasting colour to the armour and made it look a bit cartoony, but it did at least mean that the parchment was easily identifiable.

D

Hopefully the parchment is pretty apparent on mine. I've got one highlight left to do with Karak Stone on it, and then I'll glaze it with some Seraphim Sepia to give it a little more weathered yellow appearance.

That (actually, none of the highlighting will) won't happen until the arms, pauldrons and jump packs are on though!

Here's some armless white Death Company from the Angels Encarmine:

med_gallery_59244_11212_9070.jpg

med_gallery_59244_11212_36052.jpg

gallery_59244_11212_14847.jpg

So this is them layered all the way up to their final standard color, after this it is just highlights. I want to try and get some "natural" line highlights though (not really possible, but I'll give it a go) with all their armament and jump packs.

So tonight, the bodies! Tomorrow, the arms!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived