On Black, Bloody Wings - AE Death Company WIP

Bryan Blaire

For 2015, my first project is to get the contents of Deathstorm painted up. Luckily my wife agreed that it was lame that you got plain Terminators in the box when they had just released a new Teminator kit, so I was able to get one of those as well and put together this guy as the start of my Sgt Alphaeus stand-in for my Angels Encarmine:

gallery_59244_10325_17815.jpg

Here was where he started, with several layers of Deep Carmine paint (always thought it silly that GW flipped the base color of something named "Angels Encarmine" to vermilion and the "Angels Vermilion" to carmine).

The wings were removed from the butt plate with the intent that I'm going to free-hand on some of the Encarmine bat wings instead, and each hip plate will also be getting a bat wing behind the leading edge blood drop. Since the Chapter symbol isn't colored that originally, the gems will simply be blood red drops, while all those not associated with bat wings may or may not take on other colors (haven't decided on that one yet).

Here he is in 360 turn glory as he stands right now:

gallery_59244_10325_31255.jpggallery_59244_10325_9885.jpg

gallery_59244_10325_5279.jpggallery_59244_10325_22652.jpg

The gem in the Crux is definitely going to be green, and I'm thinking of doing the flesh in a bit more pallid tone to reflect the more sinister side of the Blood Angels gene line. I'm hoping to be good enough to leave some pale blue tone to the skin and maybe some veins showing underneath, but that may be a bit too ambitious.

Comments and criticism appreciated!

Looking good so far.

Thank you sir! I've been giving some thought to power weapon field colors, and at this point, I think green would be an obvious choice, but what about using yellow? I've already got red on my DA and they'd blend in too much on these guys, and blue is almost "too standard fare" personally.

I love that red if I hadn't found something I liked from Vallejo I would want the recepie but it is to shiny for my Knights of blood

Thanks, Nova_chron, the red is actually just "Deep Carmine" from Royal Talens Amsterdam Expert Series Acrylic Extra Fine. I mixed a small daub out of the tube with Winsor & Newton's Acrylic Flow Improver (which is pretty much finish neutral), so the satinish gloss of the acrylic is still there. I plan on making sure it gets knocked down with some matte varnish to seal these bad boys up when I'm done with them. At this point, it is just shaded with Agrax Earthshade.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

He looks great thus far!!

What are you washing the model with??

I am a fan of deep purple blood drops, or green. But if you have green as a secondary color, purple would look good as it is between the two on the color wheel.

I have just started to paint my Angels Encarmine Captain made from the limited edition TDA captain model from the termi box set, so I am looking forward to seeing this progress and for future models to inspire me to keep my army going!!

End of Line

He looks great thus far!!

What are you washing the model with??

I am a fan of deep purple blood drops, or green. But if you have green as a secondary color, purple would look good as it is between the two on the color wheel.

I have just started to paint my Angels Encarmine Captain made from the limited edition TDA captain model from the termi box set, so I am looking forward to seeing this progress and for future models to inspire me to keep my army going!!

End of Line

Thanks R_P_R!

On the deep carmine, I've only used Agrax Earthshade (with the added benefit that with the red so deep to start with, I had to do a second line of Shade in the darkest portions, so it actually allowed me to "pre-build" a more robust 3D effect). On the silver, I used three coats of Nuln Oil. On the ropes, gold, bone and purity parchment, again Agrax Earthshade. On the yellow, I used Seraphim Sepia. The green was was shaded with Biel-Tan Green.

I like the idea of purple gems as well, that's what I was thinking about doing at the top of the back, so thank you much for the vote, that's what I'm going to go with! The blood drops that are part of the Chapter symbol are staying red gems though.

Edit: And done! All the non-red blood drops have been turned into purple gems. Only thing left on the body to do is the gold highlights and finishing off the bone.

I can't say that I've ever seen someone do a yellow power weapon. I suppose it would depend on which shade you'd choose. You could always do something similar to Sockwithaticket's power weapons which are primarily black with blue highlights. I'll be keeping an eye on here either way because I just may have to steal your yellow PW recipe for reasons.... ph34r.png

Thanks Tiberious. The parchment on the purity seals is Rakarth Flesh -> Agrax Earthshade -> Rakarth Flesh on the non-shadowed areas -> Pallid Wych Flesh highlights. I'll put the text on with Rhinox Hide, and then finally give it a thinned down Seraphim Sepia glaze (thin the Shade down with some acrylic flow improver so that it merely becomes a tint) overall.

Damn, forgot the lenses/lights in the enclosure at the top... I usually do those as gems/lenses, but I may give a go at actually trying to display them as lights, probably blue for a different spot color.

Last steps on the legs & torso are to get the bone highlighted, the gold highlighted, the torso itself highlighted. All the free-hand is already done and highlighted and all the other gems are done.

Late thanks to you chaplainmikey! I've really admired your stuff so far!

So finally got some time to work on "Sgt Alphaeus"'s head (that guy really needs to get his own name), and while I don't think the vein thing turned out at all, I think I did achieve a little bit of blue undertone (mostly at the jawline of the head).

gallery_59244_10325_21257.jpggallery_59244_10325_23029.jpggallery_59244_10325_11107.jpggallery_59244_10325_18150.jpg

I think that "Sgt Alphaeus" may be just a hair's breadth away from falling completely to the Red Thirst and Black Rage at the same time and going totally Space Vampire berserk. I wanted the more pallid tone, but the eye turned out way more red than I really intended it to (although it isn't quite that vibrant in person). I think aside from him and "Captain Karlaen" I will stick to my regular policy of "avoid helmet-less Marines as much as possible), but this gave me a challenge to try and realize an image I had in my head, and I think that it turned out pretty close and relatively well.

This was my first time painting blond hair, and while it was pretty step intensive (I think I did eight different paint color steps and two shades), I really like how it turned out. Also, because hair color is so variable, I don't even have to worry about trying to achieve the same mix for "Captain Karlaen".

Pretty much the only thing left is to do the bionic eye gem and the highlights for the metal and the head should be ready to roll. :devil:

Hope you like, and C&C is appreciated, as always.

The shade of bone you have on the knee skulls its really well with the red, looking forward to the finished article!

Thanks Xenith! At the time, that was just Zandri Dust, shaded with Agrax Earthshade, and then layered again with Zandri Dust.

It's since been layered with Ushtabi Bone, and then highlighted with Screaming Skull.

That face is fantastic, care to share how you achieved that colour?

Glad you like it, chaplainmikey!

Sure thing, here's how I got it together:

1) Base everything with Rakarth Flesh (including mouth)

2) Paint thin line of Pallid Wych Flesh

3) Shade in recesses of eyes with Drakenhof Nightshade

4) Shade deepest recesses with Agrax Earthshade (under the jawline, under the lip, under the nose, under the bionic eye, in the ear & edges of the face)

5) Shade entire face with Reikland Fleshshade

6) Layer face with Rakarth Flesh

7) Layer with Pallid Wych Flesh

8) Thin 2:1 Guilliman Blue glaze and glaze lower 2/3rds of the face

9) Paint small veins with Guilliman Blue on edges of face

10) Use thinned Pallid Wych Flesh to highlight middle 1/3rd of the face, trying to leave the blue veins and some tint showing through (this is where I got it too thick)

11) Cover eye with one layer of Bloodletter (I ended up using a second layer of this on the eye, which is why it came out too stark red)

There you go!

I'll be honest, none of my veins survived, and I can't take credit for the idea, I know I read some of the concept behind digitally painting skin in one of my older computer art mags and looked up thoughts on veins for miniatures, so I'm sure I was inspired from several of those sources.

One thing I was thinking was that it might better serve to switch steps 9 & 10, so the thinned Pallid Wych Flesh is first, and instead of painting the veins with full Guilliman Blue glaze, thin it down some (2:1 or 1:1) and use that to do the veins as a last step. That should make them translucent enough to give the impression that you are actually seeing then below the skin without needing to try and translucently layer the skin tone.

May have to give that a shot tonight.

• 1 month later...

So I haven't been totally idle, here's some proof:

gallery_59244_10325_13742.jpggallery_59244_10325_47214.jpg

gallery_59244_10325_46000.jpggallery_59244_10325_38388.jpg

The grey is actually paint flaking off the plastic, so that will have to be remedied with some edge highlighting and possibly some battle damage, but other than that, only a couple of details on the main body to finish up (gem and skull on the dangling ropes), then it's on to the arms (sword and storm bolter) and pauldrons! Final step will be highlighting across the whole model, and working up a basing scheme.

• 1 month later...

I love this paint jobhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png! I'm so impressed and jealous.

It's great to see some truly pale blood angels, I think this fits their lore better as they're basically renaissance Vampires. I find it hard to make them look this way, mine turn out too grey like stone.

This is perfect! he really looks like he's been locked in his hulky space ship for months and rarely takes off his helm.  

GREAT JOBhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png

Archived