Any faith in the current rumors?

ValourousHeart

Personaly

Not sure £5/model is that much better value for money than the current £3.58/model that we pay now...Actually, if you look at the current 'Battle Sister Squad' bundle on GW, your described £50 for a 10-girl squad (two boxes of 5 at £25) is exactly what we already pay, the only extra bitz being the three heavies and the flamer that aren't in the BSB set.For comparison: Tactical Marines with all the options? £2.50/model (10 for £25), half that which you guys are suggesting would be fair for us to pay..

I knew I should have checked the GW site before posting that. I was thinking of the GKT box which only does has 5 models, but we would be more likely to get something similar to the GKPA box with 10 models as you said.

I still stand by my opinion that we will get 2 boxes that will make almost all of the units in our codex... just like GK.

I don't really know that much about £, but in America, 10 GKPA is $60, and 5 are $33. Both sets come with a lot of options.

In comparison the squad of 10 sisters is $80, with no options.
If you want to build the squad you want it is $17.25 for 3 basic sisters, you'll need 2 sets ($34.50). A
Special weapons are $10 each, heavy weapons are $14 each, Sergeants are $12.25 each, and Banners are $13.25.

But even still 5 sisters in a box is a better deal than we get now.
2 boxes of 5 sisters would be $66, whereas right now to get the same would cost you $80 if you wanted 2 specials and $84 if you wanted a heavy.

I admit that I have a lot of sister models and have little to no need to buy any new ones under the current codex.
But GW could easily get around that issue in the same way they got around it with Dark Angels.
They put Deathwing Knights in the same box as DWT and DWCS.
I know plenty of people that didn't need any more TDA models for their DW... who still went ahead and bought a couple of boxes for the DWK.

They could easily make a sisters box that in addition to the basic weapons we know and love for sisters, add in a new weapon for the entire squad and call it a new unit.
Personally I would love to see a unit armed with crossbows... 18" range, assault 2, psyshock.
Maybe change the Celestines to carry them and give them special ammo for it.

TBH if they can get a SoB box of 10 under $50 US I'll be happy, or even better the same price as the space wolves box at $37 US.  The 2 separate boxes that would be needed are Seraphim (jump pack) and Retributors (devistators) with SoB, Celestians, and Dominions in one box.

They could easily make a sisters box that in addition to the basic weapons we know and love for sisters, add in a new weapon for the entire squad and call it a new unit.

Personally I would love to see a unit armed with crossbows... 18" range, assault 2, psyshock.

... Everything else seems fairly reasonable, except for this. Assault 2 crossbows?! The Crossbow is one of the slowest weapons in the world! The only reason they ever took off as a concept was because they're so much easier to make and train people to use than longbows, which allow for both a greater rate of shot and a superior power and range. In 40k terms, a Crossbow should be Heavy 1, possibly with the caveat that you can charge after shooting it because they're easy to use as clubs!

... Everything else seems fairly reasonable, except for this. Assault 2 crossbows?! The Crossbow is one of the slowest weapons in the world! The only reason they ever took off as a concept was because they're so much easier to make and train people to use than longbows, which allow for both a greater rate of shot and a superior power and range. In 40k terms, a Crossbow should be Heavy 1, possibly with the caveat that you can charge after shooting it because they're easy to use as clubs!

Well, I would counter this with they could make such cross bows with electromagnetic acceleration(similar to a railgun), like the upgrade they are working on for the US aircraft carriers to replace the steam catapults.

Hiho Sisters tongue.png

via Zion on Heresy Online

From a little Ripper Swarm to me:
The Codex is done, the models are in production, and it's nebulously a Q2 release. It's the Dark Eldar treatment-- rebuilt the range from the ground up, completely.

faith .... we need more faith :>

They could easily make a sisters box that in addition to the basic weapons we know and love for sisters, add in a new weapon for the entire squad and call it a new unit.Personally I would love to see a unit armed with crossbows... 18" range, assault 2, psyshock.Maybe change the Celestines to carry them and give them special ammo for it.

Well let's see.... In the movie Lady Hawk, the main character had a double crossbow that could fire 2 bolts independently. In GI Joe, Scarlet's crossbow had a magazine. Either should be a work-able solution to the rate of fire question.

But why don't we just stick with 40k examples... the bolter-crossbow from the Witch Hunters codex was range 24, assault 2.

I am sure that 40,000 years in the future we could have figured out how to load a crossbow faster.

The other point is that we have the special weapon version of every combi weapon in 40k, except the crossbow. And we have had the combi-crossbow since 3rd edition.

Chinese repeater crossbow, who says a crossbow loads slow?

http://static.mijnwebwinkel.nl/winkel/celticwebmerchant/full29179468_a.jpg

In order to retain any decent kind of range or penetrative ability, the draw on the bow has to be significantly greater than what the repeating crossbow is capable of - Repeating crossbows had an absolute range of about 120m, compared to the average 300m for the time-equivalent arbalest or conservative 315m for a Welsh Longbow.

So yeah, OK, I guess you could have a Rapid Fire crossbow, although I'd hesitate still on saying Assault 2. Thing is, it would be Rng 12.

For reference, the stake crossbow in the Witch Hunter book was Assault 1, not 2.

We don't have plasma. Combi-plasma is a thing. :P

You are correct, of course, Sister of Battle do not get plasma. My point, which upon re-reading wasn't clear at all, was that in the 40k universe there are combi-melta, combi-flamer and combi-plasma... each of which has a special weapon counter part (melta gun, flamer and plasma gun). The only combi weapon in the entire game, that I am aware of, that doesn't have a counter part is the combi - crossbow otherwise know as the Condemnor boltgun.

It would be nice if the sisters could get a weapon unique to them to use enmass, that weapon doesn't have to be exclusive to the sisters but it should be at least limited availablity to other armies. And it doesn't have to be a crossbow, but I am also trying to create a unique weapon that has some history with the sisters and won't be accused of just being shoehorned into the codex. All of which is a tall order, but I think it could be a fun addition.

In order to retain any decent kind of range or penetrative ability, the draw on the bow has to be significantly greater than what the repeating crossbow is capable of - Repeating crossbows had an absolute range of about 120m, compared to the average 300m for the time-equivalent arbalest or conservative 315m for a Welsh Longbow.So yeah, OK, I guess you could have a Rapid Fire crossbow, although I'd hesitate still on saying Assault 2. Thing is, it would be Rng 12.For reference, the stake crossbow in the Witch Hunter book was Assault 1, not 2.

I am not going to argue with you on real world weapon ranges, because I have no knowledge of such things. But I have shot both recurve and compound bow, and I know that the higher the weight on the string the more power potential that can be transfered to the arrow. You said that a longbow would be more powerful than a crossbow, but couldn't you (with mechanical assistance) put more weight on a crossbow than a person could reasonably pull on a longbow... and therefore give the crossbow more penitrating power?

I say this because, I witnessed a crossbow at an archery range that shot through the target, through the archery pads covering the wall, through the demising wall and in to the next door tenant's space. I have never seen a compound or recurve even come close to that ammount of penitrating power. Because of that incident crossbows are now banned at that club. But longbows are not. Are you saying that a longbow could do what that crossbow did easily? Or did you mean something else when you said that longbows have superior power to crossbows?

I don't want to say you are wrong about the assaut 2, because my memory isn't always the best, so here is what books I am looking at and what they say and we should be able to figure out why we disagree.

I am not sure about posting weapon stats from books that are this old and out of date, but just in case, I will use modern references.

From the Witch Hunters codex, 2003. Just to clarify that we are looking at the same book, the ISBN is 1-84154-485-X. The armoury starts on page 20, and lists the Bolter-Stake Crossbow cost equal to a combi weapon in the current Sisters codex. The rules for the weapon are on page 21. It has the strenght of a lasgun, the range and AP of a bolter, and ASSAULT 2. Vs. psykers it had fleshbane (well just the effect, that rule name came later) and allowed no armor save.

What you were probably looking at was the White Dwarf codex issue number 380 from September 2011. The sisters list starts on page 82, and Wargear section is on page 92. Again I'll put the rules in code just to make sure we are in line with B&C rules. Bolter Range, Heavy Bolter Strength, Lasgun AP, ASSAULT 1, Psy-shock.

So we have 2 version of this, one is ASSAULT 2 and the other is ASSAULT 1. I was refering to the Witch Hunters version when i said assault 2.

Again as I said above, I am not married to the idea of a crossbow, but I would like to see a unique weapon that the sisters get to use. I would also like to hope that other armies might be a little envious of that weapon. Right the only unique weapon sisters have is a 2 handed chainfist... For other armies that get it, it is a 1 handed weapon. They are not envious at all.

As too how the weapon actually works... It is a fantasy game, Eldar have pistols that shoot ninja stars and Nids have guns that shoot flesh eating termites. I am not that concerned with plausibility. That reminds me of a movie...

-- From Thank You for Smoking -- "Smoking in Space?" "It's the next frontier." "But what about the danger of an open flame in an oxygen rich envronment?" "Oh, well it's fiction, so that is solved with a simple line of dialog, thank god for the invention of the bla bla bla." "Hmm."

Thinking of something that Sisters could have that no other modern army does: a weapon with deflagerate. I mean it's an appropiate word for the army:

def·la·grate
ˈdefləˌɡrāt/
verb
Chemistrydated
verb: deflagrate; 3rd person present: deflagrates; past tense: deflagrated; past participle: deflagrated; gerund or present participle: deflagrating
  1. burn away or cause (a substance) to burn away with a sudden flame and rapid, sharp combustion.
    "the current will deflagrate some of the particles"

Rapid, sharp combustion sounds a lot like Sisters. The latin word it's based on (Lat: de + flagrare, (thanks Google!)) means "to burn down", which is ALSO very Sisters-eske in my mind. As does having old relics in the army. So in my mind Volkite weapons would be a really fitting addition, even if they venture outside of the original holy trinity, just because they're relics from the Crusade Era.

But that's probably hoping for too much when it comes to interesting ideas to give the army. :(

Totally fine with y'all getting the Deflagrate Rule. JUST STAY AWAY FROM OUR VOLKITES! Them Martian Death Rays are ours! :p It would also be kinda silly for the Sororitas to have Volkites when none of the current First/Second Founding Chapters have any...since..y'know they used them the most..

An easy way to represent this would be a Special Promethium Mix unique to the Sororitas that you could pay as a flat upgrade for Flamer Equipped Units. You could argue that Dual Hand Flamer Seraphim with Deflagrate added into the mix is OP but I don't see much of anyone complaining about Volkite Serpenta Moritats (Legion Consul choice) who can shoot FOREVER until they miss once (per pistol).

Remember, the Knight Castigators sword has the Deflagrate rule so it doesn't necessarily have to be a Volkite Weapon to have it.

Ok, will edit this post with it let me grab the book tongue.png

Edit: Deflagrate is as follows from Legions Astartes Crusade Army List Page 85 : "After normal attacks by this weapon have been resolved, count the number of unsaved wounds caused on the target unit. Immediately resolve a number of additional automatic hits on the same unit using the weapons profile equal to the number of unsaved wounds - these can then be saved normally. Models in the targeted unit must still be in range in order for these additional hits to take effect. These additional hits do not themselves inflict more hits!"

If this is to explicit for the forums, I'll change it.

Basically the idea of the Deflagrate rule is that things hit with it turn into scalding clouds of ash that then hit the rest of the unit, as far as I can tell. biggrin.png

I won't argue on the bolter-stake crossbow as, having checked, my witch hunter codex just went into storage because my shelf space is being reduced. If you have the book in front of you, I will cede the point.

Rules-wise anyway. tongue.png

That would have been a modern crossbow using modern composites, and would have needed to be cranked back. I will admit that I was only looking at classical examples - yes, it does seem reasonable to assume that a high-tech crossbow's draw strength could potentially outstrip the maximum draw strength of bow designed to be tensioned by a human instead of a machine. Ave Omnissiah. And I suppose yes, with machines, you could potentially make it almost as fast to shoot - you have to be careful when tensioning the limbs because if you do it too fast, you end up shock-stressing them and that leads to swift breakages no matter what material you're using.

Volkites would shrink out effective range even further, lol. I'm a traditionalist though. We already have one unique weapon (the exorcist). I'd rather focus on getting back the stuff we've lost over the years like Praxedes and Immolator Fire Points than adding a whole new weapon type into the game... even if deflagrating bolter shells would be cute.

Archived