The most cost efficient army list possible

Drippy Waffler

GW website prices, didn't know they were giving a discount, haven't bought a model directly from GW in years.

Oh, no, GW would never give a discount.  But plenty of online resellers (like the Warstore, Spikeybits, etc) will give you 20% off.  But those same resellers cannot have an online shopping cart with those advertised prices, as it would violate their vendor agreements with GW.  You have to email them with a list of what you want, and they'll give you a quote.

What I'm think after reading all this is that this almost needs to be reduced to 1000 points if this will be a good starting template.

100 point centurion (unsure of what consul)

2 x breachers/assualt - 500

Contemptor - chainfist, grav, kheres

175 points left over.

Basilisk?

Breachers are not good units, not in non-ZM games from what I've been told. You're better of trying for something like Despooilers or, failing that, something similar. DEspoilers, in particular, would benefite from a Chaplain Consul, who is currently one of the better value for points consuls out there.

Were you typing on a phone? :P

The reason I keep going to the breachers is because they give about 250 points for 65 pounds. For that same points value from a tac squad you would need 130.

In terms of destroyers and recon marines, I don't think those can be taken as troops unless you are doing the all jump pack skimmer thing, and for recon.... aren't they non compulsory?

Despoilers are a type of Tactical Squad, equipped with Bolt Pistols and Close Combat Weapons.

I think there's some confusion here between contributors - what the author is trying to do is make an army for the cheapest number of $/£ or whatever banana republic currency you desire, I believe, while others are trying to create armies which are the most "points" efficient, as in what provides the most bang for their buck.

While I believe my army to be among the cheaper 2K lists for money wise, but how effective it is with only 15 models on the table (8-9 on the first turn), is very questionable.

I mean, if you really want to kit up a Praetor, you can give it the 6 non-legion specific relics, plus your legion specific relic for around +250pts on top of his other kit. Will it be effective, though? Yes. Will it be effective for a similar value of other units? Unlikely.

The balance is going between an expensive army tailor made without recompense to monetary value to getting the most possible amount of points for each unit of currency (or said in another manner, the least units of currency for each point).

Destroyers are an Elites choice. Recons are a Troops choice, although they don't count towards the compulsory 2 Troops.

It's not like the Breachers offer you that many more points per money spent on them, when you consider you have to equip them with the additional gear. You'd have to spend around 93 pounds sterling to get a 10-man squad of Breachers (Meltaguns not included). A 10-man Assault Squad (also Troops) from FW would cost you 70 pounds.

Also, in the category of points per (currency) you get the best value for: FW Heavy Support Squad (+any weapon more expensive than a HB/HF), a GW Land Raider (Phobos), FW Land Raider Phobos and Achilles Alpha, GW Vindicator, a few of the big guys, aside from the Falchion, and Terminators and Veteran Squads (weapons included). Hope that helps?

Edit: Oh, but would a list created solely on the principle of spending the least cash you can be playable, not to mention competitive? Probably not (maybe except a small Raven Guard list). I guess you could get a 1500 pts Heresy force for around 300 pounds, but that would mean you'd be buying models, that you wouldn't normally want in your force. Balance is the key. But it's a nice exercise anyway, Heresy on a budget :)

Despoilers are a type of Tactical Squad, equipped with Bolt Pistols and Close Combat Weapons.

I think there's some confusion here between contributors - what the author is trying to do is make an army for the cheapest number of $/£ or whatever banana republic currency you desire, I believe, while others are trying to create armies which are the most "points" efficient, as in what provides the most bang for their buck.

While I believe my army to be among the cheaper 2K lists for money wise, but how effective it is with only 15 models on the table (8-9 on the first turn), is very questionable.

I mean, if you really want to kit up a Praetor, you can give it the 6 non-legion specific relics, plus your legion specific relic for around +250pts on top of his other kit. Will it be effective, though? Yes. Will it be effective for a similar value of other units? Unlikely.

The balance is going between an expensive army tailor made without recompense to monetary value to getting the most possible amount of points for each unit of currency (or said in another manner, the least units of currency for each point).

I believe the confusion is actually on your end. He only said 'cheapest' in the TL:DR at the end. Everywhere else, he asked for cost-efficient. The goal is to make an army that offers good bang for the buck, and a possible launching point for expansion. For instance, use a terminator load out that only requires that you buy a single weapon set, instead of needing to buy the specials + the powerfist set and then having a whole bunch of leftover bits.

And even if you were trying for cheapest, mine beats yours by a few hundred dollars. The challenge is also for generic lists, not legion-specific ones, so your pre-heresy SoH list is right out anyway. tongue.png

A GW land raider is a phobos? Thats very good to know, I think they are 250 points base in 30k so that is a good option.

I am pretty sure the MKIIC vindicator hadn't been developed at the time of the heresy, but I'll have to check that.

Otherwise, thats good info smile.png thanks

The GW Vindicator and Predator are just different patterns from the same STC. The Deimos Predator/Vindicator are just the pattern for those produced on Mars' moon, Deimos. I may be mistaken, but I think the GW ones are actually Mars pattern.

Kitwulfen got the interpretation spot on smile.png

So for clarification - the GW land raider and vindicator are totally fine fluff wise for 30k?

(Btw if that is the case I will be SUPER happy - I've avoided the vindicator before because of the aesthetic. I love the GW one though)

Definitely. GW Power Armor is mostly later marks (6/7/8), and being plastered with Aquillas everywhere makes them unsuitable for the Heresy. If you were doing a force that was themed around manning the walls during the siege of Terra, you could get away with mark 6 and 7 plastics and leave the Aquillas on them, but anything before that might not be so appropriate. That's why I specified for my list that uses GW terminators, you need to cut/file things like the Crux Terminatus away. Indomitus plate is Heresy appropriate, the Crux Terminatus is not.

GW vehicles are pretty much all suitable so long as there's actually rules for it in 30k, but you still have to watch out for various bits of iconography that would not be fluffy for the setting. Even FW superheavy vehicles like the Macharius that are supposedly post-Heresy are still suited for the HH: they simply represent one of the multitude of heavy tanks that the Imperium pressed into service whose design was later lost to time.

Oh dear. I just had a look at the games workshop vindicators. In New Zealand they are 5 dollars (£2.50) MORE EXPENSIVE :) But this list was meant to be a multi purpose list so that is a good tip for everyone else.

Also, when you said most GW vehicles, did that include the rhino?

Oh dear. I just had a look at the games workshop vindicators. In New Zealand they are 5 dollars (£2.50) MORE EXPENSIVE smile.png But this list was meant to be a multi purpose list so that is a good tip for everyone else.

Also, when you said most GW vehicles, did that include the rhino?

Sure does. But Rhinos don't have any place in this thread, they're a lot closer to $1 a point instead of $1 for 4. On top of which, they're pretty awful in the Heresy, cause they often keep you from being able take advantage of cheap additional bodies in your squads and they die easily to the masses of mid-high str firepower that legion lists have access to.

I think I might take a stab at a dual Knight list. They're about 3.33 points per dollar (in the US, from web retailers), and they'd pretty much hammer down any of the heavy support you need at 1500-2k points.

I think I might take a stab at a dual Knight list. They're about 3.33 points per dollar (in the US, from web retailers), and they'd pretty much hammer down any of the heavy support you need at 1500-2k points.

I haven't got the fourth book, but I thought you could only take a Lord of War is it was less than 25% of the total point cost. And the Magera is 395, so assuming the Styrix is the same that would be more than 25% at 1000-1500 points. Unless you mean an all knight list?

True, but, its an Allies option if anything.

I think running Terminators in Land Raiders MSU might be a thing thats Points-Dense enough while still having enough options for wargear variety to potentially work.

Also, you'd have walls of AV 14 for your opponent to deal with...

Consider:

HQ:

Preator in TDA + Stuff

-Terminator Command Squad with stuff

-Land Raider Phobos Dedicated

-PotL

Troops:

Terminators x5(+)

-Land Raider Phobos for Assault Focus or Proteus for Shooty

Terminators x5(+)

-Land Raider Phobos for Assault Focus or Proteus for Shooty

~15 Terminator Armored Models and 3 Land Raiders. At 1500 points its pretty nasty. You will get your ass handed to you in Maelstrom/Objective heavy games though.

Kill points are likely to be in your favor.

Also, due to Implacable Advance and them being Troops, they are Super-Scoring terminators and Land Raiders.

Let me know if I'm wrong -

46.5 x 3 Terminators

£140 give or take.

69 x 3 Landraiders

£210 give or take, or cheaper for the GW phobos'.

£350 for 15 TDA troops, plus 12 AV 14 Hull points.

Not bad. Not bad at all. Although for a white scars or raven guard army this might not be the best, unless you were to do the 1st company or however that works.

How much is a GW phobos in the UK/US?

EDIT

Also, I know D weapons have changed since 6th but last time I went up against one my 40k CSM Land Raider was destroyed turn 1 by an eldar tank of some description and the Beserkers inside were minced. That game was only lost by a single VP and a few models, and im fairly certain it would have been very different if the land raider had survived. Has anyone played against D weapons since the new rulebook? Are raiders a viable option?

D weapons are only silly when they roll a 6 cuz then they deal 6 Wounds or 6 HP in damage, iirc; too lazy to walk 4 feet to my bookshelf :p

on a 1-2 they do squat

3-5 is half of the previous but saves are allowed.

I haven't got the fourth book, but I thought you could only take a Lord of War is it was less than 25% of the total point cost. And the Magera is 395, so assuming the Styrix is the same that would be more than 25% at 1000-1500 points. Unless you mean an all knight list?

Knights cannot be taken as LoW by Legions.  They may be taken as allies, though (counts as Mechanicum for allies table purposes).  Being allies, you have to take 2 to fulfill HQ and troops choices in the allied detachment.  I was just going to take Knight Paladins because they're cheap $-wise.

Archived