Hello!

Here is the start of my Sons of Cruor Chapter plog. I had painted a mini sometime ago, but after buying the Deathstorm box set (amongst other things), it's about time I started properly. Speaking of the mini in question, he's rather damaged sad.png

med_gallery_51296_8579_189748.jpg

Whilst tidying up he fell to the floor and snapped in half at the waist and one of his wings fell off. Not a good start, but hopefully I can fix him, although the damage is where the waist and torso joined.

Anyway, let's get started:

med_gallery_51296_8579_405822.jpg

The Scouts were intended for my Inceptors Chapter, but to make this army meet the minimum requirements, I need at least two Troop choices, so here they are.

med_gallery_51296_8579_299126.jpg

Mmmmmm! Beakies! wub.png Those who have seen posts made by myself in the past, know that I love Corvus armour. My intention is that they will either form their own squad, or to use the five as Sergeants for subsequent squads. I'm leaning towards the former as the models look different enough to their plastic Brothers that they'll stand out. I won't decide for certain until I've built them along with the BA Tactical squad.

med_gallery_51296_8579_181108.jpg

med_gallery_51296_8579_213464.jpg

This is what I have so far. I'm still currently pondering on the load out for the Tactical squad. I've got some small magnets, but they might not be small enough to magnetise the hands etc. I might magnetise at the shoulders, but until I decide, I'll at least paint the torsos, head and back packs smile.png I also full intend to base the models properly (unlike nearly every other army I have so far).

Excitement got the better of me and I started on my second Contemptor wub.png Of course, I've seen the Deredeo Dreadnought pictures and I'm definitely getting one of them too! happy.png

med_gallery_51296_8579_69802.jpg

med_gallery_51296_8579_130140.jpg

med_gallery_51296_8579_161734.jpg

He's supposed to be running, but the posing is a little off blink.png I bought him at Warhammer World a couple of weeks ago, and whilst I had checked the parts quite closely, one of the shoulders seems to be thin at the back, leaving a little hole. I've put some super glue in the crevasse to shore it up. Hopefully it'll be strong enough not to cause issues down the line. I haven't rang FW to try and get a replacement as it's not that big a deal. Like his Rainbow Warrior cousin, he'll eventually have multiple weapons options, and like Candidus, he'll start with a Power fist and Conversion beamer happy.png

The Deathstorm boxset is fantastic, even if it means that I now have a hankering for a Xenos =][= redacted army! Both the Tactical squad and DS box have soooo many options that I'm quite spoilt for choice. Of course, I'm a Fluff player so plenty of close combat weapons and stuff I think look cool ^_^

A brief outline of the Chapter.

Rumoured to be a successor of the Flesh Tearers, the Sons of Cruor are also at risk of failure. Unlike many Sons of the Angel, their mindset is to embrace the Red Thirst and Black Rage. It is felt that both are a sign from Sanguinius to push themselves, to master the darkness within their being by acknowledging that which is a part of them, not to deny it. The Chapter knows that it is possible, even though only one is known to have succeeded.

To the Sons of Cruor, it's only a matter of time. The reality is far different...

Hopefully more to come over the weekend.

Angels that play squash, own yachts and sit down for a read of Imperial stock exchanges between battles?  Do they refer to the gene-seed vault as the' trust fund?'  New recruits are referred to as 'You there, peasant.'  

Have I belabored the pun yet?

One more: They don't have a Fortress Monastery.  They have a country club.

Angels that play squash, own yachts and sit down for a read of Imperial stock exchanges between battles? Do they refer to the gene-seed vault as the' trust fund?' New recruits are referred to as 'You there, peasant.'

Have I belabored the pun yet?

One more: They don't have a Fortress Monastery. They have a country club.

teehee.gif

Looking good so far.

I think I'd go for a power weapon blade colour other than blue though. Green or red/orange perhaps.

Good call. I need to practice a bit on red/orange though. Still have a bit of trouble with those colours (still hate yellow though! laugh.png )

Still have a bit of trouble with those colours (still hate yellow though! laugh.png )

Welcome to the intensely exclusive Club of Everybody.

Anyway, an important note on blonde hair: don't use yellow. Blonde hair isn't yellow. The knee jerk reaction is indeed "Blonde? Yellow!" But it's not. Instead, use browns, and lighter/'yellower' browns. Your brightest color will actually be something like Bleached Bone.

I wouldn't use this exact technique because it relies on textured hair (and Angel heads are mostly smooth) but it should give you a good taste of what paints to use: http://thegrumpystunty.blogspot.com/2009/09/blonde-hair.html

You neglected to bling out the skull on his bolter's ammo feed. Not sure if that was intentional or not.

Still have a bit of trouble with those colours (still hate yellow though! laugh.png )

Welcome to the intensely exclusive Club of Everybody.

Anyway, an important note on blonde hair: don't use yellow. Blonde hair isn't yellow. The knee jerk reaction is indeed "Blonde? Yellow!" But it's not. Instead, use browns, and lighter/'yellower' browns. Your brightest color will actually be something like Bleached Bone.

I did try a recipe that runs more or less the same way, but I either messed it up or stupidly thought to add yellow and it come out like that sad.png

I wouldn't use this exact technique because it relies on textured hair (and Angel heads are mostly smooth) but it should give you a good taste of what paints to use: http://thegrumpystunty.blogspot.com/2009/09/blonde-hair.html

I'll take a look at it. Thanks! thumbsup.gif

You neglected to bling out the skull on his bolter's ammo feed. Not sure if that was intentional or not.

The mini was never finished. There was quite a bit to do on him, including the skull. If I can repair him, I'll finish him off properly smile.png

Thanks thumbsup.gif

Ah, also, I concur that blue is a poor choice for your power weapons.  Red, yellow, orange, or even brighter shades of green would all be fine alternatives.  When it comes to power weapons, contrast is key.

Or you can go against the grain and simply paint them metal.  If you paint metallics along a quasi-NMM design, they come out very striking.  I did it for the sword on one of my bikers.

Ah, also, I concur that blue is a poor choice for your power weapons. Red, yellow, orange, or even brighter shades of green would all be fine alternatives. When it comes to power weapons, contrast is key.

Or you can go against the grain and simply paint them metal. If you paint metallics along a quasi-NMM design, they come out very striking. I did it for the sword on one of my bikers.

NMM is something that I'm not ready for. I want to get my highlighting standard up somewhat first laugh.png Another colour other than blue is definite though. I'll consult the colour wheel!

However, metallics in of itself is something to consider.

Not really NMM per se.  It's just not highlighting in the simple sense of putting the shiniest stuff on the edges.

This is the guy I'm referring to.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz201/Wills40k/Black%20Templars/IMG_2442.jpg

That's just boltgun, chainmail, and mithril.  A black wash helped blend it altogether.  Very simple stuff.

• 3 months later...

mmmmm.....beakies you say? My fave. Looking forward to this biggrin.png

If you do decide to change power weapon colours, I think orange would look great on these. Nice and bright though, got to be bright msn-wink.gif

For some reason, I don't recall a notification for this post sad.png But to answer your question, I think I might keep the blades plain and make the base stand out more. I've been itching to try one of the new technical base paints

Anyway, a new year, a new ETL!

My first vow consists of a ten man Tactical squad, a Captain and a Sanguinary Priest. My Priest is currently in amongst a mountain of bags and other stuff, so I'll post the first picture for him soon.

However:

Tactical squad:

med_gallery_51296_8579_411019.png

They're currently in the middle of pulling themselves together... laugh.png

Captain:

med_gallery_51296_8579_651993.png

I did want to add the wings, but because of the position of his right arm and the hilt of the sword, they won't fit sad.png

Still, I quite like him happy.png

This year I'm definitely giving my models proper bases! blink.png Not sure whether to use Agrellan Earth or Martian Ironearth, the latter might be a better fit as I'd like to evoke a sense of Baal (despite Cruor being a completely different type of planet) if I can smile.png

Archived