Lords of Blood: Angron's forces of Armageddon

miteyheroes

Thanks guys! I'm having a lot of fun making these lovely monsters :) I really want to find someone with a decent sized Grey Knight army, to try and do the "100 Grey Knights vs Angron and the Twelve" battle. On a really pretty board, maybe one of the Warhammer World ones. Once I've done a bit more work, obviously.

When I talked about the "Big Guy", I was actually referring to Angron, rather than to the new Bloodthirster -- although both would be a great fit for your collection ;)

As for the new models: Excellent work, once again! My only gripe lies with the bases: I get that you're going for some kind of daemon world /hellish realm of blood effect, but the bones and skulls don't work all that well on top of the otherwise flat bases -- I'd advise you to build up some kind of texture on the ground to make it all look a bit more organic and natural -- you can still paint it with glossy blood colour afterwards, you know? ;)

In any case, keep up the fantastic work! Looking forward to your next update and to the Skulltakers in particular!

I'm a bit torn on Angron. I suspect that Forgeworld will release a Daemon Angron model at some point, so I might hold off until then and just use theirs? But equally, I quite fancy giving it a go. I suppose if I make one and then later prefer the official one, my guy just becomes another Bloodthirster, which isn't the worse thing.

The bases are a bit flat and boring. I hate basing, I admit. I tried to get more details going by painting them in, but it's still not quite right. On really big bases this will be particularly obvious... I may well build up some bumps & hillocks in the bases for my next set, especially once I'm on to large oval bases.

I am planning to keep adding to the bases, trophies from enemies that I defeat in games. So the existing bases will be getting more stuff, which should break it up more.

Anyway. The base isn't done yet on this guy msn-wink.gif, nor the smaller armour plates and details, but here's the basic structure of Kagh Bo'orchu, one-time apothecary and loyal lieutenant of Hans Kho'ren. In game he can be a Possessed Champion, Herald, or Lord, as I go through my current period of rapidly adjusting army lists all the time.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8801/16891077090_c96043383a_d.jpg

I know! I keep looking at him and going "woah, he's big". Which is mad, as my Bloodthirsters and Bone Collectors are much bigger. But still. He's big. Like, Primarch-big. He could be a champion of Gal Vorbak easily.

He's also a lovely model to build. The twisted torn flesh on his torso is beautiful.

• 4 weeks later...

Hans Kho'ren's Skull Takers live! I've been doing a big build of these guys whilst watching Daredevil (possibly more appropriate for Night Lords, but hey), to get ready for ETL. Vow coming once I have a few more skulls to finish the bases on one more squad.

So, here's the first squad that I built, a squad of Possessed. These guys seem pretty essential for Daemonkin, as adding them will enable me to have a Slaughtercult at the core of a Blood Host. Free Blood Tithe points is always good!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8732/17168035870_7138812339_d.jpg

Their shoulder pads display their allegiance, matching the ones used by the rest of the Skull Takers. All of Hans Khoren's men wear one gladiatorial shoulder pad, reflecting their father Angron's past. The Skull Takers believe that they should emulate their primarch as much as possible, continually remaking themselves in his image, and this is part of that. Their other shoulder pad is always a skull, proudly displaying their loyalty to Hans Kho'ren, the Skull Taker, commander of the 19th Company of the World Eaters.

The torso, heads, and arms are all from the standard Possessed kit; the backpacks are from Chaos Space Marines; the legs are a mish-mash of random Space Marine bits that have been clogging up my bits box for too long; the shoulder pads are from Berserkers and Marauders. The Champion's legs are from the new WFB Khorne Wrathmongers, lovely pieces.

Next up, some basic Chaos Space Marines:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7727/16735355083_78e1368010_d.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7756/17168044820_98ecea7041_d.jpg

Their upper halves are primarily from Chaos Space Marines, with Chaos Warrior axes (a nice brutal "Skull Taker" vibe) and the legs again drawn from my bits box. They have been fighting the Long War in a very casualty-heavy way for 10,000 years: their armour is salvaged and scavenged, their ranks expanded by more recent defectors as well as the original World Eaters. So not all of it has nice brass edging. All of the helmets are horned because all of the serious troops in my Daemonkin (from the Bloodthirsters to the Bloodletters and everyone in-between) have horned helmets.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7730/17355601005_6a3204dc5a_d.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7721/17168041220_cfe63e2229_d.jpg

This squad is made up of more recent recruits, ferocious barbarian warriors who have been gene-bulked and strapped into power armour. Their helmets, from a mix of Chaos Warriors and Chaos Knights, show their primitive origins. The legs of the champions of both squads, surviving members of the original World Eaters legion, have Wrathmonger legs. This makes them nice and big, almost true-scaled, which I like. I trimmed their tassets off their plackarts, as their upper legs looked a bit blank without them.

To support my Chaos Space Marines I wanted some Cultist chaff, to throw at the enemy and sacrifice for Blood Tithes. They're pretty much just the basic plastic ones from Dark Vengeance, with some head-swaps and weapon-swaps on the close combat squads. I quite like the shooty guys as they are, not sure if I want to head-swap them.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7680/17355597785_210a86af49_d.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7683/16733102134_5235a98be4_d.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8871/17355244161_d95ec51e92_d.jpg

Thanks! I've been really enjoying playing with C:KDK as well. Close combat charging armies are much more fun than shooting, and I love the "here, have some new units" mechanic. But yes, I much prefer fighting using converted models rather than proxies, so I'm on a mad Khorne-building-spree. I'll be returning to making big guys once I've got lots of troops done. But I want to make some Terminators, and some more Bloodletters, and some Bloodcrushers, and some Raptors and Warp Talons, and some flightless Daemon Princes, and... Oh dear, it's quite a list! GW have hooked me good with this army :)

I do like Samus, and the other big Khorne models from Forgeworld. But I'm a bit intimidated by that much resin, scared about converting them. So I'm holding off for now...

That's great to hear, meaning you're far from done yet :)

I've only worked with resin on small scale stuff like DKoK but it's not bad just something else to get used too. Still, with the amount of stuff you've got inbound who cares - have fun mate!

Awesome army! It's just too bad that my Sons of Sanguinius would have a field day turning whatever craters happen to be nearby into ichor-filled punch bowls. msn-wink.gif At least they aren't Black Legion; those guys are top of the Smunch List for my guys. Of course, being Chaos, and CSM especially, they're still an EXTREMELY close 2nd. smile.png Even just a hint that you're in the area, and whatever the Angels Adamantine are doing instantly hits the back burner. Though, I'm sure it would take more than the cursed remains of fellow traitors adorning my army to unsettle your forces. smile.png You'd better just hope that my buddy's Sons of the Lion, the Corvus Malleus (a Dark Angels Successor) aren't nearby as well, because they often seek the Fallen wherever the taint of Chaos exists. msn-wink.gif

I noticed that, on some of your bases, you seem to have mounds of Green Stuff; is that correct? Or is it just a thin layer over something else? I've been trying to think of neat and creative ways to base my guys, and I like the idea of using GS, especially since I have 2 fairly big sticks of blue & yellow, so I should have some to spare for it. On a Cypher kitbash I made for my buddy's Corvus Malleus, I decided to try using some GS to make a fairly thick pool of blood, and I think it turned out good, but that's really my first crack at it. I also like how the various kitbashes came together; it seems to work even better with Chaos, and CSM especially, since they're usually warped amalgamations of all sorts of stuff anyways. biggrin.png As for the cultists, I got my buddy the Dark Vengeance set a while back, and I actually liked how those guys looked out of the box, so I tend to agree abut leaving the shooty guys alone for the most part. I do like the head and weapon swaps for the other guys, though. Overall, awesome job; can't wait to see them painted. smile.png

My guys are always happy to have a fight, against whoever challenges them - Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows!

The bases are: 32mm base, penny stuck on it, ball of green stuff put over penny and then smoothed out, leaving some lumps etc. Then skulls and bones added, pushed into the green stuff whilst it's still wet. Trying to make plain red blood bases a bit more textured and interesting (and add a bit more imposing height to my guys). When I get back to doing large bases I'll be having them with several hillocks and so on on them.

I keep meaning to read this plog, so I'm posting to remind myself to do so once I'm not on my phone.

Also, no pressure, but the ETL is that way *points at Realm of Chaos boards*

Dragonlover

EDIT: Didn't see that you're planning on vowing once you'd finished up some basing. That'll teach me to skim read!

What colours are you thinking of using on the Marines?

I keep meaning to read this plog, so I'm posting to remind myself to do so once I'm not on my phone.

Also, no pressure, but the ETL is that way *points at Realm of Chaos boards*

Dragonlover

EDIT: Didn't see that you're planning on vowing once you'd finished up some basing. That'll teach me to skim read!

What colours are you thinking of using on the Marines?

I promise that I will ETL them! Probably at the weekend (assuming that my ebay order of skulls arrives in time, I have a helbrute and another squad of possessed to base and then add.)

Colours will primarily be red with brass trim. Brass on the gladiatorial shoulder pad (to emphasise their link to Angron), brass and white/grey on the skull pad. White helmets, to tie them in with my daemons and reference the skull theme.

Hans Kho'ren has always preached that the aim of a Space Marine is to emulate their Primarch. His loyal apothecary, Kagh Bo'orchu, is essential for this. It is Kagh who implants new members of the Skull Takers with the gene-seed and blood of their Primarch to turn them into true World Eaters; Kagh who was one of the first apothecaries to experiment with the Butchers' Nails; and Kagh who, after Angron's apotheosis, studied with Lorgar's Word Bearers to discover the secrets of the Possessed. Kagh's drive to become more like Angron has taken him far from humanity, but his journey is not yet over.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7779/17384371929_2d993f5841_d.jpg

Kagh Bo'orchu's right arm still bears the twisted Chaotic remains of his Narthecium, constantly in flux and emitting new spikes as required. His armour is brass, forged to mimic the Armour of Mars worn by Angron, showing he is an important figure in the Skull Takers. On his left shoulder he bears a gladiatorial shoulder pad, in memory of Angron's past; his right shoulder pad is a snarling skull, symbol of Hans Kho'ren's Skull Takers. His helmet is pale and horned, like all in the Skull Takers, in honour of their daemonic patron.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7792/17544349686_a95a6e9207_d.jpg

ETL vow coming soon. As soon as I have time to upload the final set of pics. So busy at work at the mo!

My second possessed squad for Hans Kho'ren's Skull Takers. I had so much fun building the 1st squad, that I wanted more! Also, this enables me to take 2 Blood Hosts, which seems an amazing idea for maximising Blood Tithe points.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5349/17230358273_c841112ab0_d.jpg

These guys have the Roman-style shoulder pads from the Marauders kit. Mostly because I'd run out of the ones with the spikes... I think that they still look gladiatorial though, so still fit with the theme. I think that this champion is possibly my favourite non-HQ model I've made so far. The Wrathmonger legs, horn-swapped head, his mini-daemon-prince pose... I even like his trophy rack more than the ones on other champions!

This guy is a Herald of Khorne (because they're such cheap HQ choices!), who has been formed from the violent thoughts of Eldar. The perversions of the Eldar gave birth to Slaanesh, and now the Eldar have an entire way of life that attempts to deny Slaanesh by entirely focussing on other pursuits. But surely an entire slice of their population being that dedicated to the Path of the Warrior must have some sort of echo in the Warp? I've always liked the idea that there might be links between Khorne and Khaine, as well.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8835/17664492989_ef293468e8_d.jpg

Obviously the body of the model is the new Exarch. He was tilted forwards slightly, given arms from Dark Elves and Dark Eldar, a head from the Chaos Chariot, and wings from the Vampire Counts Morghast. It's an odd concept, but was quite fun to make and I was worried that I'd never find anyone suitable for the Chaos Chariot head! It's too elegant to be put on a beastman/cultist/marine body.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8764/17851228541_9a7955754f_d.jpg

The cheapest Blood Host is a Slaughtercult plus a standard Helbrute. So if I want to get a Blood Host into a 500pts battle, a Helbrute seems a good choice! As I had Dark Vengeance sitting around, this was a quick-and-dirty addition to the force.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8771/17230359563_be192d69d2_d.jpg

This model really wasn't modified much. One leg was sawn off at the hip, and stuck back on in a slightly more dynamic running pose. The head is from a jugger. But that's it. Was tempted to modify the arms, but it all seemed like far too much bother. If I make a second one I will!

These guys will all be ETLed (except the Cultists, still not decided on their heads so holding off for now) once I sit down with a codex and work out their points costs.

For new minis they have a really cool old school vibe to them, bravo. I msut admit to being very dubois until I saw the paint on them, they just really popped then.

As ever I remain jealous of folks with both access to a large number of bits and the mind to be apply to draw them together so well.

Keep up the good work.

Of all the races of the galaxy, the Eldar's souls shine brightest in the Warp. 10,000 years ago this led to their doom, when the echoes of their lusts combined to form a new god, Slaanesh, whose birth tore the Eldar Empire apart and created the Great Eye. Ever since, the Eldar have sought to control their emotions, to prevent such an event from happening again. But it is a hard road, and anger is one emotion it is hard to contain. The Rage of the Dying Race is a Herald of Khorne, formed from the overflowing fury of the Eldar: every time that an Exarch screams hatred at their foes; an Exodite vows revenge on aliens who have stepped upon their world; a Corsair spits in fury at an ambush gone wrong; or an ousted Archon curses their exile from Commorragh.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8897/17887581748_bff1133110_d.jpg

Nothing really to say about this guy's painting: I did what you'd expect, pretty much. Brass armour, red for revealed skin, glowing green things, white/grey skulls and helmet: just like the rest of my daemons.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5464/17887582798_6e23aa46ec_d.jpg

Now on to painting marines. Lots of marines. 3 layers of red paint later, I've done the basic armour and am moving on to blacking out the bone areas:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5337/17887792380_d1dfeabfd9_d.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

So, I sort of dropped off the face of the planet. Sorry about that. Here's something to make up for it: a conversion of the new Age of Sigmar Orruk Megaboss. Original plan was possibly for a pre-discovery Angron, but he's just too big and I didn't have a head that fitted which could be Angron (was tempted by the Ogre head with the chainmail face mask for a bit?) Instead he's ended up as a mini-Daemon Prince, some sort of Terminator Lord on the path to ascension. In game I'll probably run him as a Lord-on-Jugger, have him join the Bone Collectors (my Bloodcrushers).

26863308052_dfb0791736_d.jpg

He's been a fairly simple conversion. Head and axe head from a Daemon Prince, shoulders are the rear pads of a Forge Fiend, neck is from a Jugger. Plus a load of green stuff to fill the gaps left by not putting on the main torso armour, and a few extra bits & bobs (Khorne icon on his loincloth, DP loincloth on his rear, random grill from somewhere on his back).

26957699905_a6d74fd76c_d.jpg

Look how big he is! I really didn't realise when I bought him, thought he was a bit of a rip-off until I started making him. But no, he's worth it.

26353165893_5f750e4da5_d.jpg

Quite an interesting kitbash! I do think the chainmal mask Ogre head (maybe even with the DP head's horns added to it) would maybe have been a better choice, especially since it's ever so slightly smaller than the DP head, which seems a tad too big to me.

Archived