Euryalean Stoneborn plog

CyderPirate

Excellent work on the Dodo cav (sorry the name has now stuck ;)). As a quick comment, the yellow needs a good agrax wash to bring out the creases in the skin.

I know you are not quite up to gluing the riders on but you could do reins using either fishing wire or light gauge guitar wire.

Drill a hole through the beak where a horses bit would go then green stuff up the rest of the bridle and attach the wire using a hole drilled into the riders hand to pass it through.... Just a thought :)

Cheers guys!

I had thought about giving them reins, but thought it beyond my ability. I've pretty much only used GS to fill gaps so far, so actually making something specific is a daunting prospect. Elmo's idea actually sounds pretty doable, though. I've got a sixth one that I haven't started on yet, so I'll have a go with that one. That way if I balls it up I've still got a full squad, and if it goes well I can try it with the others as well.

(Good catch with the wash, as well Elmo. The legs need a bit more love)

Yup, Blightwheel for the Dodos. Lovely sculpts, had one little issue with a bubble in one of the necks but a bit of GS sorted that out fine. They're a bit boring with just the one pose, but I think they're working on some more at the mo.

try using real life to give yourself ideas... Chicken legs

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/IFWT_Chicken2.jpg

Wash the yellow you already have, highlight it again with yellow then try lightly sponging on some black or dark grey. That should give you this sort of look.

Cheers for the tips Elmo, good advice.

My first attempt was a dark grey, using emus and ostriches for inspiration, but the end result just didn't look right.

Chickens look like a much better real-life example of what I'm aiming for. My only doubt is that the splodges of dark brown will look out of place next to the bright blue feathers.

Only one way to find out though...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, trying to stay avoid the wrath of the commissariat...

Some progress on the 2nd squad:

gallery_63566_10402_41514.jpg

gallery_63566_10402_22256.jpg

An improvised Rapier laser destroyer

gallery_63566_10402_150241.jpg

And finally....my first attempt at reins on the death chickens.The superglue around the harnass looks a lot worse here than in the flesh, and hopefully

it won't be noticable once its got a bit of paint on it.

gallery_63566_10402_169056.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of updates. There's been plenty going on, just not a lot of finished projects.

Top priority were the entrants for B&G, Lord Commander Arvind 'Arvey' Darvaal, and guardsman Kernoc

Stoneborn, reporting for duty, Sirs!

gallery_63566_10402_86789.jpg

A career soldier, Lord Commander Arvind 'Arvey' Darvaal has gradually crept up the ranks over his 25-year long service to the Stoneborn. Like the majority of the men under his command, Arvind cut his teeth battling greenskins in the deep mines of his homeworld, Euryale, before being sent further afield. A naturally charismatic character, Arvey took to leadership easily and his skill as a warrior quickly earned him the respect of his superiors. A combination of luck, skill and sheer stubbornness
saw Darvaal persevere, surviving through the Stoneborn's greatest victories and most terrible defeats.
More recently, however, Darvaal has been promoted beyond his ability. After the death of the company's former Lord Commander, Eryn Kerphos, Arvind's years of experience made him the obvious candidate. Whilst his skill and tenacity are unquestionable, Darvaal's lack of formal education and years on the front line have left him ill-equipped to manage the movements of the entire company. Worse, Arvey detests the politics of the regiment's upper command structure and yearns for the opportunity to return to the front line proper.

gallery_63566_10402_62750.jpg

Guardsman Kernoc joined the Stoneborn at the age of 15, and in the five years since has seen little but the dark walls of Euryale's mines, illuminated by the flaring prometheum of his crude flamethrower. Orders have recently come in, however, that the regiment is being dispatched to a new warzone and, after years of stalking through a subterranean hell-hole Kernoc is eager for the chance to fight the enemies of the Imperium underneath a new sky. As icing on the cake, in readiness for the new deployment, the soldiery are receiving additional training, which for Kernoc means trading in his flamer for a melta gun.

As well as these two, I've finished the regiment's first Storm Chimera, Xenakis and I've done most of the work on an as-yet-unnamed Medusa (definitely NOT a chopped down Bassie - alright)

gallery_63566_10402_119725.jpg

gallery_63566_10402_143157.jpg

The troopers turned out very nicely, well done! Also good to see some tanks coming along as you can never have enough ;) I'd give the Chimera a wash or two and a highlight on the grey, it won't take long to do especially if you dry brush and it'll make a big difference :tu:

Archived