Lucumon's Blood Angels Task Force

Lucumon

I also won best painted...

If by "interesting", you mean "flying glass cannon"... then... yes.  The idea behind the list was: psychic death stars cannot hit it in CC if they are zooming, it has pseudo-invisibility and can go really far... but is less flexible  movement-wise.  Also, you have no CC-punch.  Invisible deathstars get to run around below you almost unhindered.  Much like the Spanish Inquisition, no one expects 7 Imperial flyers showing up turn 1 with: 24 str 6 rending shots, 12 str 7 ap 4 skyhammer shots, 3 multimeltas, and 12 str 8 blood strike missiles... if you roll well, you delete a lot of critical pieces turn 1.

It's kind of a way of fighting the deathstar meta by not playing the same game.

Blast template heavy armies, non-flying 'nids, khorne daemonkin, and other ground based armies give the pilots a chubby.

• 4 months later...

So, long time. Work has taken most of the room in my nights, weekends, holidays, and nightmares. At this point, I am thinking that getting fired would be a relief.

But, I have gotten *some* things done. First, I've almost finished by 5th Razorback. The only thing I need to finish is the turret... I am thinking of dunking it in a bath Simple Green and using the ultrasonic cleaner to start over. The turret actually breaks apart in case I want to replace it with any of the other weapon options... and is magnetized for this purpose.

gallery_22439_1100_18196.jpeg

While I think on this, I've airbrushed a Golden Host with three different golds... one from GW (from the bottom) , one from Army Painter (in the middle), and one from Wicked (from the top). I've picked up some of the GW Sigmarite Gold Dry to see how it works... more to follow.

gallery_22439_1100_530061.jpg

As a comparison, here are some different angle shots of the lead angel so you can see how the different golds work.

gallery_22439_1100_141375.jpg

And, as a comparison, here's the Dante WIP before I put him in a simple green bath to start over. This was base coating in black (obviously) and using a wet technique blend. I had completed all of him save his inferno pistol, but wanted him to match the rest of the golden shower I am going to rain on my enemies. I think once I spot highlight and shade the airbrushed version will look similar.

gallery_22439_1100_49560.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's an update on my RTS vow:

gallery_22439_1100_377959.jpg

Also, I got a game in this past Friday.

My list was a mix of BA and Ultramarines against Black Templar.

The TL;DR version: Death Company suck, Ultramarine shenanigans won the day.

The longer version

My list:

The BA: 10 man Death Company, Lemartes, Sanguinary Guard Ancient, Sanguinor, Priest with a Jump pack, BA Tactical Squad, 2x BA Scout Squads

UM: Chapter Master, Lieutenant, 3x Devestator Squads in 2x drop pods

And a Culexus

His list:

3x 10 man crusader squads on foot, Terminator Captain with Term. Squad in a Land Raider Crusader, Helbrecht with a retinue of CC characters.

Deployment:

the BA were spread out with the Death Company and support on the right side.

The BT had the crusader squads spread out with the Land Raider and Helbrecht in the middle

Turn 1: I got first turn and dropped the Devestators with the Chapter Master and Lieutenant on the right side. The DC advanced to where the pods were. The devestators killed 8 of the crusader squad next to them, a few marines from Helbrecht's retinue, and a few wounds off the land raider. I guess that's what 4 heavy bolters, 4 plasma cannons, and 4 lascannons do when they re-roll to hit and re-roll 1s to wound.... also, the Warlord Trait "Storm of Fire" that gives another -1 to AP when rolling 6s on wounds helps.

The rest of the game was him trying to advance and my fire base deleting a unit each turn.

What was interesting is that turn 2 or 3 when I popped the land raider, I decided to charge the Terminators with the Death Company:

- the Sanguinor and Priest failed their charges... I need to figure out how to place them better so they can actually be useful

- the DC killed 3 terminators... then proceeded to get smashed by the left over captain, sergeant, and remaining terminator. The Sanguinary Guard ancient managed to survive and run away during my next turn

- while they got crushed, they did put the rest of the terminator squad and Helbrecht's retinue that had charged to clean up the rest during his turn squarely into the fire base kill zone... turns out 4 lascannons does a pretty good job on Terminator Captains.

Overall, the DC may not see much fun soon. I fear the Golden Host I am painting up will fair similarly. Although, it could be just that the DC are not great at fighting heavy infantry... against non-terminators, they would have done quite well. They were able to be quite mobile to help shape the battlefield.

Why arent DC fearless again?

Wow. Token white recipe request please?

It's pretty simple:

1. Base coat black

2. Airbrush (or spray paint probably), white from the top only

3. Glue to model

4. Use Armypainter Quickshade Dark Tone

Also, vow complete

gallery_22439_838_1129994.jpg

I had an opportunity to take these guys for a spin while playing "The Scouring":

My list:

Dante

Sanguinor

Sanguinary Priest

2x Scout Squads

2x 5 man Tac squads in Twin Lascannon Razorbacks

6x Inceptors with Assault Bolters

Sanguinary Guard Ancient

9x Sanguinary Guard - all with plasma pistols

Culexus Assassin

His Iron Fist list:

3x Captains

3x Librarians

1x Primaris LT

3x 10 man sternguard squads

3x 10 man tactical squads

1x devestator squads

I won first turn on the roll off and dropped the Golden Host and Inceptors on his left flank along with the Culexus showing up to help take out the Libarian. He had a sternguard squad, a tactical squad, and a librarian on that flank.

Just before the end of turn 2's assault phase when I charged, it looked like this:

gallery_22439_10697_1164142.jpg

The culexus succeeded in taking out the librarian and fell back out of combat after taking 2 wounds, the sternguard squad was wiped turn 1 from the inceptors (holy shirt 36 re-rolling to hit heavy bolter shots were helpful)

He advanced his left flank with it's ball of marines (kinda like the Terran Marine ball in Starcraft)

By the end of turn 3, he'd taken one flank from my Sanguinary Priest and a 5 man Scout squad while Dante & co. continued to roll up the flank:

gallery_22439_10697_598007.jpg

At Turn 5, the ball of firepower continues until the Iron Fist marines try to protect the final 2 captains, 2 librarians, and primaris LT:

gallery_22439_10697_138576.jpg

At the end of the game, the Iron Fist heros make a final last stand and capture zero objectives from Dante:

gallery_22439_10697_1040458.jpg

In all, the win was due to an advantageous matchup... and the real heros were the Inceptors :(

Up next, I've started working on some Devestators and some other random guy that looks like this:

gallery_22439_1100_1471799.jpg

Pics of the Devs to follow shortly...

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my progress on my devastators:

gallery_22439_1100_897997.jpg

Just 4 more heavy weapons to go....

Each marine is magnetized like so:

gallery_22439_1100_216496.jpg

As you can see, I've gotten a little ridiculous with the magnets, but for good reason:

1. The head is magnetized because I'm shrinking my force so I have around 30 or 40 marines... but they can be any squad type. I can pop a gold head on this guy with his grav cannon and he's a Sternguard or company veteran. Put a red one and he's tactical. A yellow helmet... well, you get the idea.

2. The weapon & backpack also... but, if you notice, the connecting cables from the grav cannon to the backpack also have magnets on them so it looks 'complete' and not eschew askew. [spelling edit: well, you know, oops]

Only 4 more heavy weapons and the vow will be complete.... they are on wire, ready to be primed, so hopefully done in less than a week...

• 3 weeks later...

I completed my vow today... and just in time for the tourney I am attending Saturday:

gallery_22439_838_187620.jpg

Also... many apologies Jolemai... I kinda painted up a scout squad last week without including it on a RTS vow:

gallery_22439_838_1231305.jpg

Now, let's see how they perform...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, good news/bad news.  The good news is that they performed really well: I went 3-0 at a local 24 person RTT.  Bad news?  At least my marines were red.

Next up... I am thinking either a squad of 6 Inceptors with assault bolters (yay Chapter Approved!) or starting work on Elysian Drop Troops / Cadian armor as Imperial Allies...

So, I'm painting up a squad of Inceptors and had a thought:

Dante and 3 squads of Assault Bolter wielding Inceptors. They are running ~ $6 each on eBay at the moment and no one of any chapter seems to enjoy them. With the rumors from Chapter approved dropping them by from 12 to 9 meltabombs... think of it: 3 squads of 36 shots dropping in from reserve. 108 shots. That's some nice bullet farming for under 1k points.

Anyway, here's a snap of how I airbrushed the model. Instead of highlighting the Evil Suns Scarlet with a normal brush, I tried using the airbrush. Here's what it looked like:

gallery_22439_1100_291380.jpg

Overall, the highlight was fairly subtle where I didnt slip and spray too much, so I went back put in normal highlights with a brush.

The first couple came out pretty well:

gallery_22439_1100_974552.jpg

More to follow... let's hope they drop in points, this might be another odd list...

Well, well... look at what I finished just in time for the Chapter Approved 2017 point adjustments:

gallery_22439_838_262499.jpg

I've also started weathering... and started small. I am taking the idea non-hookers take: makeup should be subtle and complimentary. Also, Blood Angels take pride in their aesthetic (and their Sergeants make them do stupid stuff like spray paint shovels black to hide the scratches from use) so they shouldn't be too dirty.

gallery_22439_838_1299788.jpg

I used the Tamiya Weathering Effects... which are super easy to use.

While I am happy with the metal heat effect, I am going to work on the chipping and rust effects. Also, other effects to add: mud, water streaks, fuel/oil/diesel/grim, and more to follow!

• 1 month later...

Honestly, even with you listing what kind of weathering you applied it's still kinda hard to see imo. A little bit more wouldn't hurt. ^^

Agreed. The barrels especially look like nothing was done.

Fair enough. Here's a bigger model to show what was done:

gallery_22439_1100_1087035.jpg

The one on the right used this method:

The one on the left use this one:

Overall, I think I prefer the Tamiya, as long as I am spraying on a seal as the Tamiya is just oily pigment and smudges easily. If I have to paint on a seal with a brush, I'd go with the first one as it uses washes that dry.

You can see also, I tried my hand at engine soot but it didnt turn out as nicely as I'd like.

Next up: rust, chipping, water/fuel streaks, decals, mud, and more!

Dont put your coffee cup next to your water cup for the paint brushes. I found that out this past weekend.

Every. Single. Time. -_-

I’ve put mine in a glass of single malt scotch before... my brush had never looked cleaner... my scotch on the other hand...

Painting-wise, I've gotten quite a bit done in the last 2 months. I finished a tournament army... which was mostly:

1. finishing another scout squad

2. painting up some combi-plasmas for my Sternguard (well, also, painting gold helmets to pop on existing marines as all the heads are magnetized as well)

3. painting up a kit-bashed Sanguinary Priest (because I may have put my old Sang. priest on ebay for triple retail value... and someone bought it)

4. making 4 more Death Company to have a 15 dude-bro squad

5. getting stormhawk bits painted up to switch over from stormtalons

Tournament shenanigans aside, I've been busy. I found I had a bunch of IG tanks in my bits boxes in various stages of assembly... so, the following happened. Basically, theses guys will be BA support... but mostly to practice weathering.

So far:

Decals: I've used microsol/micro set on the decals... and there is no border

Rust, part 1: I used Army Painter Quickshade Strong Tone to give the visual that there is rust in the cracks.. and some minor streaking

gallery_22439_1100_1315604.jpg

In the future, I plan to: try chipping, mud, fuel/water streaks/pools, and barrel heating. Then adding on other accouterments such as shovels, chains, baggage, etc.

And, since I am no longer in tourney prep mode, I've painted guys that have been around for... well, decades. Like this guy:

gallery_22439_1100_16237.jpg

He, and a chaplain that's been laying about, look like:

gallery_22439_838_1185749.jpg

Anyway, a little later I've got some interesting stuff going on with eBay and commission work... which has helped fund my plastic doll addiction.

Archived