Designing models for 3D printing

LaLongCarabine

I suddenly find myself feeling a bit ashamed that I didn't post this stuff here first as it's all very marine stuff.

I've recently starting a tumblr account to post up all my new cad stuff that I've been working on for 3D printing. It's called Fire Break and It'll update more often and have more detail pics than I'll post here (mostly for sake of ease).

Cut to here if you wanna read the thread posted on dakka but of course I'll start posting here.

gallery_62604_10381_7526.jpg

Only tacking the first pic up there whole the next few teasers are

Shoulder pad

Gladius

Combat Knife

Base Hand

This Forge is gonna keep on kicking out designs as fast as I can learn. I'm hoping to eventually work up a totally modular arm so I can crank out full weapon arms.

The plan is to print via Shapeways and then resin cast myself (already tested that process with some of my buddy's zbrush models).

Ideas, comments, and critiques are welcome. I've already got in queue for design; spears, sabers, scimitars, katars, kukris, axes, and hammers. Armor is a bit trickier as complex curves tend to be.

Here's hoping this forge can start producing parts soon and start supporting it's legions.

Hmm, I wonder if 28mm stuff printed on Shapeways would work, unless you'd print in wax, then make a first cast, clean that one up and make copies based on that one.

Well my friend and I have already done this with a daemon prince sized model. Also there's a wealth of 28mm pieces on shapeways, they turn out fairly fine in resin printouts. The simpler the design the fewer issues shapeways has with their printing (they're not the best but as we've found they're the most reliable for their price). The trick is to print once with shapeways, then clean with knives and emery boards, then silicon mold, then cast. Lather rinse repeat. Models out of 3d printers in general always seem to have this step layer all over them, kind of a hazard with the style of printing I guess. Shapeways step issues sand down rather easily and without a lot of takedown.

Eventually I'll get pics of my buddy's daemon prince and greater daemons up here to show their print quality.

Minor update, I finished a saber/cutlass the other day. Was on advice from a friend who thought marines needed more "marineie" weapons.

gallery_62604_10381_31215.png

Remember keep your eyes glued to Fire Break for more of my work.

Archived