Carmine Blades - Completed Blood Angels Army!

keeblerartillery

That marble/gold combo is beautiful.

QFT.

I am not so sure about the shields and weapons though. I would have stayed closer to the rules (two-handed swords and axes only, no shields).

I thought about it - but when I originally modeled these, VV were way stronger than SG.  So I wanted to be able to play them as either unit.  But also, they just look freakin' cool lol

Now that's one gritty Sanguinor I've never seen! Although he looks more bronze than gold (gold does not get this greenish patina), you definitely got the feel you wanted. He looks like a statue. Very individual.

I'm not sold on the blood-spattered wings, but the execution is really good. Some of the drops are too big for the scale obviously, but then many things on this modelling is and it's not something I would worry about too much. 

Also I like the way you've managed to present his ribbons of parchment as if they were mummy's bandages.

Overall grimdarkiness is obvious :thumbsup:

What's the word on the stone on the base? Looks like 'Stary' which would mean 'Old' in my native tongue :wink:

Edited by Majkhel

Apart from what you think the Sanguinor is being just wrong (the newest Dante novel clears up things a lot), the paintjob is awesome. :wink:

Also I second what Majkhel said about the greenish patina. Gold doesn't really oxidice or rust etc.

Edited by Panzer

Thanks for the feedback guys! It’s actually “Glory” which I intend on making glow - as if he just arrived and the ground responds to his landing. As far as the old gold - true, gold doesn’t oxidize but I wanted him to be distinguished from the rest of my army and make him unique. So using artistic license to give him some character!

Edit - you don’t know what he was killing!

Edited by keeblerartillery

Gold isn't a particularly strong or durable metal. So it's hard to imagine armour being made out of particularly pure gold... The metals it would likely be alloyed with or plated over, like brass or copper, certainly do corrode. So there's your artistic license :wink:

Great looking work.

Well it's all just painted ceramite anyway, though I'm sure that in the 41st millenium they would have found a way to paint their ceramite to not just look like gold when fresh but also act like gold so you don't have to polish it every two days. :D

Well it's all just painted ceramite anyway, though I'm sure that in the 41st millenium they would have found a way to paint their ceramite to not just look like gold when fresh but also act like gold so you don't have to polish it every two days. :biggrin.:

That would give the little models less definition though.

Well it's all just painted ceramite anyway, though I'm sure that in the 41st millenium they would have found a way to paint their ceramite to not just look like gold when fresh but also act like gold so you don't have to polish it every two days. :D

The recipe for a durable gold enamel paint was lost, among with many wonders of the Dark Age of Technology. Brother Vanarius of the armorium holds one relic sacred above all else- His ancient, blessed tube of fresh Rub'n'Buff.

Well it's all just painted ceramite anyway, though I'm sure that in the 41st millenium they would have found a way to paint their ceramite to not just look like gold when fresh but also act like gold so you don't have to polish it every two days. :biggrin.:

The recipe for a durable gold enamel paint was lost, among with many wonders of the Dark Age of Technology. Brother Vanarius of the armorium holds one relic sacred above all else- His ancient, blessed tube of fresh Rub'n'Buff.

By that logic nothing except for the tiniest details should be actually looking like gold on our models. Personally that's not an option for me. Your mileage may vary. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks all! So the red started as a modification to Luthermaxs old recipe - prime red brown, base coat steel blue, highlight white, filter layer of sun yellow and then Vallejo red all over. I haven’t posted pics yet, but I actually have a new method that gets just as good of a result but is waaaaay easier.

Prime black, highlight white. Cut back in the shadows with black - dry brush white all over. Stipple small areas of chips to add texture. Then blood angels contrast. It is pure bliss through an airbrush.