Carmine Blades - Completed Blood Angels Army!

keeblerartillery

Hey guys! Well, I got my Sicaran assembled. It was a breeze. Sadly, my fire raptor was an absolute :cuss mess. BUT forgeworld was super awesome and is sending me replacement parts. I have my first game with the Blades on Wednesday and can't wait to try them out. Most of my stuff is still unpainted but I will be sure to upload some pics and a batrep.

med_gallery_70131_10318_70752.jpg

Well the Carmine Blades had their first outing and are so far undefeated! We played three games, 2 at 1500 and 1 at 1750.  My buddy brought his 30k Night Lords, which have some pretty nifty rules.  I don't know his list exactly but he had a praetor with his night raptors, 3 terror squads (which are just silly good in CC), a contemptor dread w/ the kheres assault cannons, a sicaran and a squad of terminators with combi meltas (why don't our termies have that option? They would actually be viable then).  At 1750 he added more bodies to his terror squads and another dread w/ TL Lascannons.  I ran the following:

HQ

Sang Priest w/ JP, Veritas

Chaplain w/ JP (so I could field more than one relic)

Troops

Tac Squad x 10 w/ H. Flamer, Flamer, Combi-Flamer in DP

Scouts w/ CCW

Elites

Emperor's Chosen (DC) x 10 w/ JP, 2 x PF

Sang Guard x 5 w/ PF, Ax

Fast Attack

2 x RAS x5 w/ 2 x Melta and a Combi-Melta in DP

Heavy Support

Fire Raptor

Sicaran

For 1750 I added Dante and another body to the Sang Guard.

For the first game two games were dawn of war deployment (short table) and the last was the long table.  I'll give some quick bat reps then my thoughts.

The first game I set up my Sang Guard on my right flank, infiltrated my scouts, had my EC and Sicaran in the center.  His terror squads all had infiltrate, so he infiltrated one on my left flank, one in his backfield and the other on the right flank.  His night raptors and warlord were right center and his armor was left center.  He went first and shot everything he had at my EC and took off 4 or 5.  And that was pretty much it.  For my first turn I dropped 1 melta squad behind the sicaran and dropped the game's MVPs, my flamer tac squad, right next to his warlord.  My death company charged up the board and managed to get a first turn charge on his dread.  They lost a couple more from overwatch (he rolled like crazy every overwatch) but managed to blow it up! Thank you Chaplain.  My melta's all whiffed but my tac squad completely decimated his night raptors and got me slay the warlord.  My sicaran was mostly a distraction and just chewed up some infantry.  His second turn he tried to deep strike his termies but they scattered 11 inches off the board...they mishapped to an unoccupied corner of the board.  His sicaran shot up my death company some more (I think they were down to just a PF and the chaplain at this point) and I think he tried to charge my tacs with a terror squad and they got wall of death'd.  Turn 2, the last turn because he conceded, my other melta squad and fire raptor came in.  Both melta squads shot at the sicaran...and both missed.  I am seriously rethinking their effectiveness.  In three games they managed to do 4 HP of damage.  Anyways, the fire raptor came in, finished off the sicaran and some infantry and he called it after that.  He was pretty well wiped.  So a good start for the Blades!

Game two started off a lot more hectically.  He massed all of his squads on my left flank and I had my Sang Guard on my left, and my EC and sicaran on the right.  I got another first turn charge, this time with my sang guard (I love short table deployment) and chopped his warlord and night raptors to bits.  Sadly, I was down to 2 or 3 bodies after the combat, including my Sang priest warlord, who got shot to bits by the terminators next turn.  My melta squads dropped in and did a whole bunch of nothing yet again.  I shot an arm off of his dread with my sicaran and my EC moved up center.  He shot my sang guard to death and shot up my EC a little bit.  His dread charged my assault squad and promptly sat in combat the rest of the game.  My other assault squad got shot to death by his terror squads.  My turn two the raptor and tac squad both came in.  The tac squad promptly toasted a terror squad and plinked at his termies.  The fire raptor popped his sicaran and mulched a second terror squad (I ran it with the quad bolter turrets.  Surprisingly effective).  Finally, my EC charged the last terror squad at nearly full strength.  Holy mother of god are they nasty.  In two games they drew tons of fire and killed a terror squad and a dread.  The game went another turn but he conceded before my turn again.  I'm not sure what the victory points looked like but yet again I had first blood, slay the warlord, line breaker and my useless scouts were sitting on an objective.  So far so good!

For the 1750 point game I was a little nervous.  He said his list performed much better at higher point values and with another contemptor on the field coupled with my inability to kill his armor I was worried.  Especially once we rolled the long table.  I think he made a mistake by deploying his forces so far forward however; he could have had another turn of shooting had he stayed back.  Anyways, I deployed with my sicaran and sang guard (w/ Dante) on the left and my EC on the right.  He had two terror squads infiltrated 18 inches away from my EC which turned out to be a mistake.  He had his lascannon dread behind the terror squads, his raptors and another squad center and his kheres dread and sicaran on the right.  I seized the initiative and promptly got a first turn charge off with my EC against the terror squad.  I pulped them giving me first blood.  The EC have an absolute crap ton of attacks and the chaplain is just a fantastic addition, especially since he allows me to bring the sicaran and the fire raptor.  Dante tried to get a first turn charge as well but failed to make it.  The sicaran did a whole bunch of nothing.  I dropped a melta squad in and they actually got a HP off the sicaran! I then dropped my tac squad in and flamed his night raptors but didn't actually do a lot of damage.  His turn one he charged my tacs with his night raptors and really pulverized them.  His kheres dread shot my meltas to death and his las dread forced my sicaran to snap fire.  The other terror squad backed away from the EC and tried shooting at them to no avail.  My second turn my raptor and last pod came in. I really rolled well for reserves and scatter on my pods.  I only scattered twice in three games, it was uncanny.  Anyways, I put my melta's behind his sicaran and they finally killed the damn thing.  My fire raptor got intercepted, took a hit and was forced to snap fire.  I PoTMS'd my main gun and shot up the night raptors.  My EC charged and killed his las dread and Dante and company charged the other dread and took off a hp.  I then used hit and run to bounce them near the raptors.  My tacs re-charged the raptors to keep them locked in CC.  His turn the termies failed to arrive and he finished off my tacs.  And that was pretty much it.  Turn 3 my sicaran and fire raptor finished off his dread, the meltas continued to be worthless, and my EC chopped up his last terror squad.  Dante alone finished off his warlord and last night raptors.  He conceded after that.  

So here are my observations - death company are absolutely filthy good.  Especially with a chaplain giving them re-rolls to hit.  Flamer tac squads are also fantastic - the sheer amount of wounds they put on infantry is great.  Plus, at some point they charged a beaten up terror squad and killed them.  Really solid all around.  Sang Guard - didn't really do much.  Were great once they got to CC but weren't as awesome as the EC, even with a priest.  Their 2+ helped them survive but I could honestly see using a librarian and second DC squad instead. CC scouts - I don't know if I didn't play them right but they did absolutely nothing for me.  Simply objective camped, even when I tried to get them close.  I might kit them with sniper rifles just to see if they do anything.  The sicaran and fire raptor are absolutely fantastic fire support.  Nothing crazy, but durable and consistently put out damage.  Meltacide squads.  I just don't know.  I love the flexibility but they just didn't do enough for me.  Sure, they soaked up fire and were surprisingly durable in his backfield but they just didn't get the job done.  I need more consistent AT.  Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on them?

Anyways, I'll get some pics up later but I'd love to hear some feedback!  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I played an 1850 game against Iron Hands last night that was really fun.  He didn't really have an optimized list (no Shield Eternal Chapter Master on Bike) but he had some Gravturions and a fair amount of dakka.  I ended up winning with a thrown together list with 20 Death Company and the usual assortment of drop pod tacs and meltacides.  I realized that meltacides are a great alpha strike but don't provide sustained dakka and I feel like that was my biggest weakness.  I was thinking about dropping 10 Death Company and adding 3 grav bikes, two javelin land speeders with multi-meltas and TL las cannons to join my sicaran and fire raptor for my ranged support.  What do you guys think?  Do we have any good shooting options that work well in conjunction with our jump troops?  Or am I trying to have it both ways?  Any input on good ranged AT options is appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Great work on these Carmine Blades!  I haven't seen many examples of this chapter online to date, so I must say I'm impressed with how you've captured them here.  The jewels/eye lenses shine came out really well, and the white is very striking.  I'm eager to see this on a vehicle or two!

Just a bit of humble CC, though; maybe brighten the basing up a tad?  With how dark the armor is, I almost think a quick drybrush or layer of a lighter grey or tan on the base could help your marines to stand out a bit more.  Take it with a grain of salt, though; these are awesome models!  :biggrin.:

• 9 months later...

Hi brothers! I apologize for my long hiatus but alas life calls.  I just wanted to let you all know that pics are forthcoming! I have finished my deredeo, sicaran and furioso.  Sadly, I had to strip my fire raptor (I rage quit on how the white was coming out) so that will be a long time coming. I also rage quit on my white DC/EC.  I am now redoing them in black with white helmets similar to my tac squad.  My assault squad will be in the same red but with black helmets instead of the normal yellow.  I will post some pics later today from my phone but I acquired a photo booth and will try and utilize it to get some good group shots in.  Also included in the update will be WIP photos (and hopefully a complete test model) of my DC/EC and assault squad. Cheers all!