Carmine Blades - Completed Blood Angels Army!

keeblerartillery

Quick question about the marble method you use. The Scale 75 inktense wood, this is essentially a brown acrylic paint, correct? I would like to try this method out, but with the paints I have on hand.

Edit: Forgot to say, the marble on your armigers looks incredible. I'm also a fan of the sword, I feel like using different colours would be a cool way to make some neat power field effects. As it stands the sword is quite unique and fits your armies style nicely.

Edited by Slothysaur

Not convinced of the black marble power weapon. The area is a bit small for the effect and it looks almost like just drybrushed grey on black.

Maybe it'll workout when the remaining details are painted but hard to tell without seeing it first.

The shoulder pads and leg parts are simply amazing though!

Edited by sfPanzer

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, another mini-update! I got to play this weekend...which prompted me to get in gear on my sang guard/van vets. The dudes are primed, but their shields are well on their way! After consultation with a good buddy on color saturation, I realized that my usual marble would get washed out against the gold. So I decided on black marble. Let me know what you think!

gallery_70131_10318_245060.jpg

So I am not doing the weapons in marble anymore - going to stick with a more traditional blend, but adding some color. As far as the shields go, yea I am going to add gold trim around the edges - and all the filigree will be gold as well.

I don’t think it will clash with the rest of the army - my head canon is going to be that the first company has black marble instead of the regular marble. I’m doing two captains, one from the first and one from the third (what the rest of my blades are). So it will at least explain the difference. And the guys with black marble will be all gold, not red, so hopefully it’ll look good!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Your Sanguinary Guard members look great! The spear wielder will look better if the boltgun was mounted directly on the spear (see Custodes guardian spears for reference) instead of his forearm, as the latter mounting looks like it'll interfere with him wielding the spear.

They look awesome! I'm so glad to see you doing them like that since it's extremely similar to what I was thinking about but never attempted due lack of skill. :D

Hey, they really are something different!
The "very old gold" reddish effect you're getting on their armor will help tie them to the main bulk of your army.
One can look at the those big marble areas on the shields for hours. Still I'd say it would be good to put some sprinkle of color on the bodies as well to draw the attention there as well. Nothing fancy, maybe just red tabards? Or an occasional blood drop?

And what about wings? Do you plan to add them or skip them? I like them myself, but your guys already look quite good without them. And they already have those fantastic shields and very consistent color palette. I would be inclined to do them without wings.

Thanks Maj! So that is still in the docket - most of the blood drops still need to be done and I plan on making the tabards red to do just that - add a pop of color! The blades as well will also hopefully do that!

I plan on skipping the wings - I used to love them. But I feel like with the way I’ve painted these guys, it is addition by subtraction to leave them off.

Could you remind us where you got the spears and shields from please? They make very striking models which is a shame as it's something we only see occasionally.

Very well painted too :tu:

Could you remind us where you got the spears and shields from please? They make very striking models which is a shame as it's something we only see occasionally.

Very well painted too :thumbsup:

Are those shields from conversion world? The models are looking great by the way.

Thanks and yes they are! 

Quote galore! :D

• 1 month later...