Vallejo Textures

awilden

Has anyone used these? i was considering getting a small 'sandy paste' texture pot for bike wheels (saw a vid that used the paste and then earth pigments on top after to get a nice effect), anyone had experience using the textures? and can make any recommendations for uses/which ones are best or best for what purposes?

Sandy paste is much finer than most of GW's textures and can be used for terrain surfacing to create a fine grained texture or really fine sand/snow.  Common texture paints that is used for basing would include white/grey pumice. water effects etc.  Black lava is the black version of pumice, with some metallic flakes in them.  It's nice and dark but you can get flakes on your fingers if you are not careful.

Would you recommend the sandy paste for general use though? i was mainly thinking of the sandy paste for the models/vehicles like dirt on bike treads or up the side of a tank, so having it a lot finer would be the best bet wouldn't it? so it doesn't cake on too much.

• 2 weeks later...

I use sandy paste its far better than the GW stuff and cheaper, smaller grains and overall better results. Yes I recommend its all I use now for texture. Also do you have the video with the pigments being used? Sounds like a great idea I've just been mixing in a small amount of paint to shade it.

I've got a big pot of the Brown Earth paste and it's great.  Nice grain size, not too big, not too small; applies well.  I use it for nearly all my basing applications and for adding dirt to minis.  You can paint it over or just hit it with a wash and dry brush, etc.

I've got a small pots of the Sandy Paste, Red Oxide Paste and White Stone Liner, but haven't used those yet.  The first two do seem to have a slightly smaller grain size than the Brown Earth paste, but I don't know for sure.

Anyone use Vallejo Desert Sand? I think it's more yellow and larger grains than Vallejo Sandy Paste, but I want to compare it to Citadel's normal textured paint, like Armageddon Dust, because if the Vallejo stuff is too smooth it will be hard to see the texture on the base, making the product pointless since you can mix your own glue/putty/paint/sand.

If the textures are actually visible, maybe with some drybrushing, the Vallejo tubs seem better than GW's texture, which are all the same texture and come in smaller, more pricey pots. I might just pick up the tub myself to compare, but I don't want to end up going back to GW's stuff or basing with sand after finding out Vallejo's texture just doen't pop enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone use Vallejo Desert Sand? I think it's more yellow and larger grains than Vallejo Sandy Paste, but I want to compare it to Citadel's normal textured paint, like Armageddon Dust, because if the Vallejo stuff is too smooth it will be hard to see the texture on the base, making the product pointless since you can mix your own glue/putty/paint/sand.

If the textures are actually visible, maybe with some drybrushing, the Vallejo tubs seem better than GW's texture, which are all the same texture and come in smaller, more pricey pots. I might just pick up the tub myself to compare, but I don't want to end up going back to GW's stuff or basing with sand after finding out Vallejo's texture just doen't pop enough.

Yeah i was wondering the difference as well, the place i get my paint/etc from has the desert sand in stock but not the sandy paste, I'm wondering how different they are really, wanted to use it for light dust (getting a brown earth pot for the normal dirt bases), and possibly to do some necron sandy bases (haven't decided if the necrons should be on sand or stone (or grass to get some more colour into the overall scheme).

Archived