[Resource] Heresy-era Lords of War

Hesh Kadesh

Recently, there has been a few questions crop up regarding which models may be taken as Lords of War for the Legiones, so I've taken the time to trawl through my collections of books to find out exactly what can take what. And as expected, it's a bit of a mess, but here you go;

Lords of War;

Legiones Astartes
Legion Stormblade Super-heavy Tank (page 65, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List)
Legion Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer (page 66, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List)
Legion Typhon Heavy Siege Tank (page 67, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List)
Legion Falchion Super-heavy Tank Destroyer (page 68, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List)
Legion Malcador Assault Tank (page 69, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List)
Legion Fellblade Super-heavy Tank (page 70, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List)
Legion Glaive Super-heavy Special Weapons Tank (page 71, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List)
Legion Thunderhawk Transporter (page 72, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List)
Legion Thunderhawk Gunship (page 73, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List)
Imperial Avenger Strike Fighter (page 272, Book I; Betrayal)
Horus the Warmaster (page 18, Legiones Astartes Isstvan Campaign Legions, Sons of Horus only)
The Primarch Angron (page 26, Legiones Astartes Isstvan Campaign Legions, World Eaters only)
Fulgrim the Illuminator (page 26, Legiones Astartes Isstvan Campaign Legions, Emperor's Children only)
Mortarion the Reaper (page 46, Legiones Astartes Isstvan Campaign Legions, Death Guard only)
Ferrus Manus (page 52, Legiones Astartes Isstvan Campaign Legions, Iron Hands only)
Konrad Curze (page 60, Legiones Astartes Isstvan Campaign Legions, Night Lords only)
Vulkan (page 68, Legiones Astartes Isstvan Campaign Legions, Salamanders only)
Lorgar (page 78, Legiones Astartes Isstvan Campaign Legions, Word Bearers only)
The Primarch Perturabo (page 86, Legiones Astartes Isstvan Campaign Legions, Iron Warriors only)
The Tormentor (page 87, Legiones Astartes Isstvan Campaign Legions, Iron Warriors only, requires Perturabo and shares both his slot and maximum points limit, need Warhammer 40,000; Apocalypse for Shadowsword rules; also note that Shadowsword rules are contained in Book IV; Conquest (page 286) and Imperial Armour; Volume 1 - 2nd Edition; Imperial Guard (page 101), but per rules as written, requires the Apocalypse rules)
Alpharius (page 94, Legiones Astartes Isstvan Campaign Legions, Alpha Legion only)
Rogal Dorn (page 102, Legiones Astartes Isstvan Campaign Legions, Imperial Fists only)
The Aetos Dios (page 103, Legiones Astartes Isstvan Campaign Legions, Imperial Fists only, requires Rogal Dorn and shares both his slot and maximum points limit)
Corvus Corax (page 112, Legiones Astartes Isstvan Campaign Legions)

Solar Auxilia
Auxilia Baneblade Super-heavy Tank (page 284, Book IV; Conquest)
Auxilia Stormlord Super-heavy Assault Tank (page 285, Book IV; Conquest)
Auxilia Shadowsword Super-heavy Tank (page 286, Book IV; Conquest)
Auxilia Stormsword Super-heavy Siege Tank (page 287, Book IV; Conquest)
Auxilia Stormblade Super-heavy Tank (page 288, Book IV; Conquest)
Auxilia Stormhammer Super-heavy Assault Tank (page 289, Book IV; Conquest)
Warhound Scout Titan (page 273, Book I; Betrayal)
Reaver Battle Titan (page 274, Book I; Betrayal)
Questoris Knight Paladin (page 301, Book IV; Conquest, loses Household Rank special rule)
Questoris Knight Errant (page 302, Book IV; Conquest, loses Household Rank special rule)
Questoris Knight Magaera (page 303, Book IV; Conquest, loses Household Rank special rule)
Questoris Knight Styrix (page 304, Book IV; Conquest, loses Household Rank special rule)
Cerastus Knight-Lancer (page 305, Book IV; Conquest, loses Household Rank special rule)
Cerastus Knight-Castigator (page 306, Book IV; Conquest, loses Household Rank special rule)
Cerastus Knight-Acheron (page 307, Book IV; Conquest, loses Household Rank special rule)

Questoris Knight Crusade
- "The Titans of the Legio Titanicus are avaliable as Lords of War choices for this army only" is the actual wording used; I believe this to instead say "Only the Titans of the Legio Titanicus are available as Lords of War choices for this army" - as written, and as the later publication, this would overwrite the rules allowing the Taghmata Omnissiah to take the Titans also.

Ordo Reductor

Legio Cybernetica

Taghmata Omnissiah
Minotaur Artillery Tank (page 31, Imperial Armour; Apocalypse)
Falchion Super-heavy Tank (page 241, Book III; Extermination, note that page 241 shows "Legion Falchion Super-heavy Tank Destroyer" whose most recent rules can be found in Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List)
Mechanicum Questoris Knight Errant (page 230, Book III; Extermination)
Mechanicum Questoris Knight Paladin (page 230, Book III; Extermination)
Mechanicum Cerastus Knight-Lancer (page 231, Book III; Extermination)

Note; Book II; Massacre states that "In order to represent this diversity when it comes to Super-heavy vehicles and Flyers, it is perfectly acceptable to use specific Imperial Super-heavy vehicles and Flyer units from Forge World's wider Imperial Armour range such as Imperial Armour; Apocalypse or Imperial Armour Aeronautica, which do not already have an era-specific counterpart listed in a Horus Heresy supplement". This is a very widespread and poorly written rule; for example, is a "Baneblade" from "Imperial Armour; Volume I - 2nd Edition; Imperial Guard" different from an "Auxilia Baneblade Super-heavy Tank" from "Book IV; Conquest"? Technically, yes, it is - not only are the names different, but unit types are different, it has a different weapon system, different options, and different special rules; however, it is with a modicum of common sense, exactly the same vehicle, and updated in a Heresy era book. However, at the same time, allowing that is also allowing things like "Grey Knights Thunderhawk Gunships" from "Imperial Armour; Volume 2 - 2nd Edition; War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes". To make you aware of such, I shall note where the Heresy-era vehicle of a similar nature is kept, and it is up to you to decide whether this is acceptable for you to consider it different enough from an "era-specific counterpart listed in a Horus Heresy supplement". In addition, some rules are printed in several locations. I shall be using the most recent version of each release.

However, to further expound upon the rule regarding Lords of War and available Super-heavy options/Flyers, it doesn't actually say to WHICH armies this applies (although in the Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List, it copies this rule down so clearly applies to them.

Note that selecting Lords of War allows multiple to be selected as part of the same choice; the rules are as follows; 
The Primarch; must be of the same Space Marine Legion as the Primary Detachment
Engine of Destruction; 1x Super-heavy vehicle of any type with 9 or more hull points from the primary detachment or from an appropriate Apocalypse datasheet (presumed to mean as above)
War Machine Detachment; 1-2 Super-heavy vehicles of the same unit type each with a Hull points value of 8 or less, and each chosen either from... etc
The Great Beast; 1x Gargantuan Creature with a Wounds value of 9 or more either from the specific army list or an appropriate Apocalypse datasheet (note that no such creature exists, as there are no rules for selecting Gargantuan Creatures)
Monstrous Horde; 1-2 Gargantuan Creatures with a Wounds value of 8 or less and each chosen from... etc (see above)
Sub-orbital Strike Wing; 1-3 Flyers with up to 3 Hull points each and of the same type. 

Imperial Armour Aeronautica
Thunderbolt Fighter (page 9, Similar to; Auxilia Thunderbolt Heavy Fighter, page 275, Book IV; Conquest)
Aquila Lander (page 13)
Vulture Gunship (page 14)
Valkyrie Sky Talon Transport (page 16)
Arvus Lighter (page 19, Similar to; Auxilia Arvus Lighter Orbital Shuttle, page 271, Book IV; Conquest)
Avenger Strike Fighter (page 20, Similar to; Imperial Avenger Strike Fighter, page 272, Book I; Betrayal)

Imperial Armour; Apocalypse
Crassus Armoured Assault Transport (page 28)
Praetor Armoured Assault Launcher (page 29)
Gorgon Heavy Transporter (page 30)
Minotaur Artillery Tank (page 31)
Macharius Heavy Tank (page 32)
Macharius 'Vulkan' (page 33)
Macharius 'Vanquisher' (page 34)
Macharius 'Omega' (page 35)
Malcador Heavy Tank (page 36, Similar to; Legion Malcador Assault Tank, page 69, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List, or Auxilia Malcador Heavy Tank, page 280, Book IV; Conquest)
Malcador 'Defender' (page 37)
Malcador 'Annihilator' (page 38, Similar to; Legion Malcador Assault Tank, page 69, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List, or Auxilia Malcador Heavy Tank, page 280, Book IV; Conquest)
Malcador 'Infernus' (page 39, Similar to; Auxilia Malcador Infernus Special Weapons Tank, page 281, Book IV; Conquest)
Valdor Tank Hunter (page 40, Similar to; Auxilia Valdor Tank Hunter, page 282, Book IV; Conquest)
Marauder Bomber (page 47)
Marauder Destroyer (page 48)

Imperial Armour; Volume 1 - 2nd Edition; Imperial Guard
Baneblade (page 91, similar to Auxilia Baneblade Super-heavy Battle Tank, page 284, Book IV; Conquest)
Shadowsword (page 101, similar to Auxilia Shadowsword Super-heavy Tank, page 286, Book IV; Conquest)
Stormblade (page 107, similar to Auxilia Stormblade Super-heavy Tank, page 288, Book IV; Conquest)
Stormsword (page 113, similar to Auxilia Stormsword Super-heavy Tank, page 287, Book IV; Conquest)
Dominus Armoured Siege Bombard (page 130)

Imperial Armour; Volume 2 - 2nd Edition; War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes
Fellblade Super-heavy Tank (page 105, Similar to; Legion Fellblade Super-heavy Tank, page 70, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List)
Typhon Heavy Siege Tank (page 109, Similar to; Legion Typhon Heavy Siege Tank, page 67, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List)
Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer (page 113, Similar to; Legion Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer, page 66, Legiones Astates Crusade Army List)
Thunderhawk Gunship (page 123, Similar to; Legion Thunderhawk Gunship, page 73, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List)
Thunderhawk Transporter (page 131, Similar to; Legion Thunderhawk Transport, page 72, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List)
Storm Eagle Assault Gunship (page 137, Similar to; Legion Storm Eagle Assault Gunship, page 47, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List; note that no rules exist to select non Super-heavy Flyers with 4HP or more as a Lord of War)
Storm Eagle Assault Gunship - Roc Pattern (page 138, Similar to; Legion Storm Eagle Assault Gunship, page 47, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List; note that no rules exist to select non Super-heavy Flyers with 4HP or more as a Lord of War)
Fire Raptor Gunship (page 139, Similar to Legion Fire Raptor Gunship, page 54, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List; note that no rules exist to select non Super-heavy Flyers with 4HP or more as a Lord of War)
Caestus Assault Ram (page 144, Similar to; Legion Caestus Assault Ram, page 59, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List)
Grey Knights Thunderhawk Transport (page 218, Similar to Legion Thunderhawk Gunship, page 73, Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List)
Inquisitorial Valkyrie Assault Carrier Squadron (page 230, note that Sub-orbital Wings refer to "Flyers", and not "units", so even though a squadron may take up to 3 vehicles, each vehicle counts towards the Wing's limit of vehicles)

Imperial Armour; Volume 3 - 2nd Edition; The Taros Campaign
Valkyrie Airborne Carrier (page X)
Valkyrie Sky Talon (page X)
Vulture Gunship Squadron (page X, note that Sub-orbital Wings refer to "Flyers", and not "units", so even though a squadron may take up to 3 vehicles, each vehicle counts towards the Wing's limit of vehicles)
Vendetta Gunship Squadron (page X, note that Sub-orbital Wings refer to "Flyers", and not "units", so even though a squadron may take up to 3 vehicles, each vehicle counts towards the Wing's limit of vehicles)
Thunderbolt (page X, Similar to; Auxilia Thunderbolt Heavy Fighter, page 275, Book IV; Conquest)
Lightning (page X)
Avenger (page X, Similar to; Imperial Avenger Strike Fighter, page 272, Book I; Betrayal)

Imperial Armour; Volume 4 - 2nd Edition; The Anphelion Project
D-99 Valkyrie Airborne Assault Carrier (page 104)
D-99 Valkyrie Sky Talon (page 106)
D-99 Vulture Squadron (page 108, note that Sub-orbital Wings refer to "Flyers", and not "units", so even though a squadron may take up to 2 vehicles, each vehicle counts towards the Wing's limit of vehicles)

N.B; I also have Imperial Armour Book 5-13, if it's necessary to check, but with Vol 2; 2nd Edition including the latest IA book to include new Imperial rules (Roc Pattern Storm Eagles) and updating the rules of existing models, I didn't check back any of those books. However, if there are any I have missed from Imperial Armour publications (note that WH40K; Apocalypse and WH40K; Escalation are not allowed sources of material), please let me know so I can include it. I will also be sending an email to Forge World in the hope that they can clarify what is and isn't allowed, although I figure that like much of the Forge World/Horus Heresy playing community, we are fairly amenable and flexible with interpreting the often flawed rules writing of the designers - in this case the inclusion of tanks named after people who won't exist for another 10 millenia, or whether a Shadowsword is honestly any different than a Legion Auxilia Shadowsword and hence whether that counts as being updated. In the meantime, please be sensible when you're attempting to prove that your Grey Knights Thunderhawk Gunship is OBVIOUSLY different than a Legion Thunderhawk Gunship. Thanks!

No problem, I hope it helps. If I'm not around come Books 5 and onwards (and depending on finances at the time, I might be a bit late to the parade), feel free to edit in - with the obvious caveat it matches the formatting of the entries, because my OCD would probably cause a fatal bleed or something equally daft.

A quick request as well - if anyone has access to IA 3; 2nd Edition, I had to go to less salubrious sources for the information regarding those Flyers/Superheavies - but they were missing the page information in the few pictures I was able to locate - if you would be able to confirm the page numbers, I would be extremely greatful, even if it's simply for the sake of completeness.

From Forge World:

"Thanks for your e-mail. In the Battles in the Age of Darkness section of the Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army list on page 8, it gives a breakdown of what constitutes a Lord of War choice for a Legion army. Specifically in the War Machine Detachment sub paragraph it says that "1-2 Super-heavy vehicles of the same unit type...and each chosen either from the specific army list for the Primary Detachment or from an appropriate Apocalypse datasheet". 'Appropriate' in this situation is anything from the Imperial Faction such as a Shadowsword."

Obviously I was asking specifically about a Shadowsword, but the answer covers a broader scope.

• 1 month later...

Just added the note about the Imperial Avenger Strike Fighter being available as a Lord of War to "Traitor/Loyalist" forces. What that actually means isn't clear, as there's delineation between Traitor/Loyalist and Mechanicum forces, yet you can have Traitor or Loyalist Mechanicum too. I'm chalking this up to poor book writing and keeping it as purely Legiones Astartes and Mechanicum, although I don't understand why they didn't just state that Legiones Astartes.

That then gives us further issues with regards to Mechanicum, as Book III; Extermination doesn't list the Avenger as an available option brought forward from Book I; Betrayal. They're not options for Knight Crusade, however, as not only is their poorly worded rulings on Titans only (see above) but they're not strictly Mechanicum for Lord of War; they're Mechanicum for Allies matrix purposes.

I'd considered that, but that makes no sense. That would make it available to all. But then A; why would they not say that or B; there's a neutral faction that can't take them?

Does that mean that instead of goodie bags and welcome packs, the Legiones at the outbreak of the Heresy had rush weeks where they could sign up to societies or Fraternities etc, where upon completion of their hazing (Isstvan was just the hazing) they'd get access to Avenger Strike Fighters?

Chalking it up to "FW don't know what they're doing".

• 4 months later...

From Forge World:

"Thanks for your e-mail. In the Battles in the Age of Darkness section of the Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army list on page 8, it gives a breakdown of what constitutes a Lord of War choice for a Legion army. Specifically in the War Machine Detachment sub paragraph it says that "1-2 Super-heavy vehicles of the same unit type...and each chosen either from the specific army list for the Primary Detachment or from an appropriate Apocalypse datasheet". 'Appropriate' in this situation is anything from the Imperial Faction such as a Shadowsword."

Obviously I was asking specifically about a Shadowsword, but the answer covers a broader scope.

Good resource hesh!

Quoting the war machine detachment, you can take a knight as you Lord of war then? Or two if they are the same type.

From Forge World:

Good resource hesh!

Quoting the war machine detachment, you can take a knight as you Lord of war then? Or two if they are the same type.

Pretty sure the answer is no if you're trying to use them with Legiones Astartes. Same answer as when it was recently brought up in the rules section.

War Machine detachment stipulates the vehicle has to be part of your army's list, and Knights aren't available for Astartes. "Appropriate Apocalypse datasheets" are clarified on p.9 of LA:CAL as being anything from older Imperial Armour books that don't have a Heresy equivalent, but Knights do have a Heresy equivalent in the Questoris List. That's my understanding FWIW

• 2 months later...

This is from the Mechanicum Red Book.

Mechanicum Lords of War

Each of the following constitutes a single Lords of War choice withing the limits of the game being played and must be available to the army it is being chosen for:

The Engine of Destruction: A single Super-heavy vehicle of any type with a Hull Points value of 9 or greater, chosen either from the specific army list for the Primary Detachment of from an appropriate Apocalypse datasheet,

*Engines of Destruction that the Mechanicum has access to include the titans of the Legio Titanicus, updated profiles for which can be found in the Titan Legions section on page 87, and the war machines of the Centurio Ordinatus.

#The Ordo Reductor also has particular access to its own variants of Imperial Super-heavy Tanks used during the Great Crusade, while using units from other Forge World publications to represent the wider range of of arcane war engines the Mechanicum has access to is also possible (see the following box-out).

War Machine Detachment: 1-2 Super-heavy vehicles of the same unit type, each with a Hull Points value of 8 or less, and each chosen either from the specific army list for the Primary Detachment or from an appropriate Apocalypse datasheet. This detachment must be deployed within a 6" coherency if on the table at the start of the game or, if placed in Reserves, will be rolled for as a single unit and must enter the table within 6" of a single eligible location. However, after their deployment, these war engines ar considered to be separate units in the game.

*War Machines available as Lords of War Choices for the Taghmata army list include the various classes of Imperial Knights, Mechanicum-indentured variants of which have been provided as part of the army list. Note that these do not utilise the Household Rank system found within the Questoris Knight army list.

#The Ordo Reductor also has particular access to its own variants of Imperial Super-heavy Tanks used during the Great Crusade, while using units from other Forge World publications to represent the wider range of of arcane war engines the Mechanicum has access to is also possible (see the following box-out).

Sub-orbital Strike Wing: 1-3 Flyers with up to 3 Hull Points each and of the same type or a single Flyer of 4 Hull Points or more or a single Super-heavy Flyer may be chosen to represent a sub-orbitally launched strike force of fighters or bombers during Horus Heresy games. This wing of Flyers arrives from Reserves as a single unit. They must enter play from within 6" of the same chosen point on the table edge, but are treated as separate models during the course of the game. These Flyers may not be chosen from those already available to the army list normally.

(Ordo Reductor)

Using Imperial Units from other Forge World Books in Horus Heresy Games

The vast milieu of battle during the Horus Heresy and the armies of the Great Crusade were staggeringly diverse, only the briefest portion of which has so far been dealt with by Forge World's Horus Heresy supplements. In order to represent this diversity when it comes to Super-heavy vehicles and Flyers, it is perfectly acceptable to use specific Imperial Super-heavy vehicles and Flyer units from Forge World's wider Imperial Armour range such as Imperial Armour: Apocalypse or Imperial Armour: Aeronautica, which do not already have an era-specific counterpart listed in a Horus Heresy supplement. In many cases, the imperium of the Great Crusade sees the origin of some of these designs, while in others they can simply be used to stand in for one of the many, less widespread war machines produced by the Magos of the Autokrator to their own arcane designs.

These models should be suitably modelled and painted to make their allegiance to the Mechanicum clear and may not be upgraded with the Command Tank upgrade or other upgrades regarding their crew of commanders listed in their options. Instead, they have access to the following specific upgrades:

*Autokrator Control (Super-heavy Tanks only): Representing the skilled Tech-Priest weapon-savants and gun-servitor control systems of the autokrator, these super-heavy vehicles may be upgraded to BS 4 and have the Blessed Autosimulacra special rule for +20 points.

#Battle Servitor Control (Flyers and Super-heavy Flyers only): Imperial Flyers may replace thier human crew with hard-wired servitor control and dedicated cogitator targeting arrays, designed to identify and target weak spots on enemy vehicles. This upgrade gives the Flyer the Tank Hunters special rule and costs +15 points. IF taken as an option for a Sub-orbital Strike Wing of multiple craft. then all the flyers in the Strike Wing must be identically upgraded.

I'm Trying to build an Ordo Reductor Army and am trying to identify any and all Lords of War I can take.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived