Blood Angels and Malefic Daemonology

Jolemai

Shamelessly re-posted from here:

Today I ran a 2k list with a Librarian dread.... and Malefic daemonology

http://i.imgur.com/OOJShpK.jpg

Indeed! But it was quite fun biggrin.png

I got the idea because the lib dread ignores several of the negative effects from that psychic school, and I also brought along to a tech marine to repair hull points from the inevitable perils.

Worked out ok, despite some horrible luck rolling warp charge I managed to bring in 20 daemonettes which gave me some extra VPs and a bit of killyness/meatshields.

Lucked out on the perils though and rolled 3/4 'good' results, you know the one that gives you fleshbane, armorbane and a 3+ invul. Made the dread very nasty in combat.

In the future I'll gladly use this again when appropriate. Probably wouldn't take more than one power from Daemonology (Either primaris or the herald summon) and save the second power for 'the quickening' from the BA set.

8/10 will play again

Today's question my fellow Captains are:

• Would you dabble?
  • What Librarian would you use?
  • What type or Daemon would you summon?

None!

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/706/058/3cd.png

Joking aside, I don't think it's worth it, since they are CtA allies you need to keep them away from your units to not roll ones, the spell needs too many warp charges to be casted regularly and the caster dies very quickly thanks to perils (if you're not incredibly lucky ^^).

In a regular detachment, you are using up both your HQ slots on a gimmick (even if it is a nice one). That means passing up on the Chaplain to buff your DC and the Priest to buff anything else. Also, with just a single psyker, you will not be generating many warp charges which makes it unreliable.

The way warp charges work, you need to either go big or go home when it comes to psychics.

We have six ways of running a Librarian:

• Mephiston
  • Dreadnought
  • TDA
  • Bike
  • Jump pack
  • foot

of those, I could see the Dreadnought trying it as mentioned above. Whist I wouldn't form an army around it, taking a ML1 Inquisitor and maybe a retinue of Psykers to use a battery could be fun. After that, spawning Pink Horrors could be silly - you only have to do it once ;)

Hypothetically speaking, what basic Daemons would compliment us best?

One of my opponents runs Dark Angels and has tried this on me numerous times. He has never really pulled it off, even periled his warlord out of the game. I just don't trust the dice enough to try this (plus heresy).

If I were ever to hate myself enough to do it though, I'd have to spawn khorne. I mean really, if the ba were to dabble in this, there's only one chaos god worth talking to.

You people are going about this in the wrong way....

With the furioso lib you can effectively trade HPs for units, kind of a big deal.

Short of trading the entire model for a greater daemon he won't take any of the wounds you suffer from malefic daemonology spells. If you wish those HPs are easily repairable, at least easier than restoring wounds on any of our psykers.

Let's not kid ourselves, there will be perils, but even when they happen you don't necessarily lose an HP.  

The fact that you probably will peril on any WC 2-3 spell also gives you the liberty to not care about perils.... I threw 5-8 dice at powers in my game with no fear what so ever. No need to hold back or worry about optimal nr of dice. Set aside one or two dice for a blessing like 'the quickening' or 'crused earth', throw everything else at the summon spell. 

Now as for what daemons are best to use it doesn't really come down to us, it's about the current situation on the battlefield and your opposition. However, for general use and the fact that you can always get the relevant power I do think that daemonettes are the superior pick. 

1. They are very fast. Fleet and 3" extra run move means huge scoring potential on the turn you summon them. 12" away from the librarian + D6" (with reroll) + 3" is pretty neat and will also help mitigate bad scatter. 

2. Good initiative and rending makes them capable of hurting most things except AV 13+. 

3. If you are bothered by the heresey, pretend that they are simply BA groupies arriving on the battlefield and causing mayhem ;)  

Trading a lib dread down on his last hull point for a blood thirster or other GD? Definitely worth it should you be sitting on that power. 

Last but not least, all this is completely optional.

You are free to pick whatever psychic schools you like before every game. It's simply an opportunity to tailor vs a particular opponent and list, even a specific situation should you have the models suitable.

No go out there and get your hands dirty! ;)

Archived