Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Space Wolves and Camo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

CatSmasher

CatSmasher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 714 posts

Hello all,

Just wondering what the forum thought of an idea i've been stewing over. I have been thinking of ways to differentiate the vehicles for my emerging "Company of the Great Wolf."

My mind jumps to a reddit thread from last year with this BA camo landraider
http://imgur.com/a/PRBNl

Then the wheels (or tracks) get rolling and I'm thinking about something I learned in Undergraduate History, dazzle camo.
http://en.wikipedia....zzle_camouflage

This makes sense in a 40k world where a lot of military practice is tied to outmoded methods of war. The primary function of dazzle camo is to hide numbers and disrupt range finding. I think it may provide an opportunity to do something a cool and adopt a IGuard type of tank painting with a large scale camo.(see above)

I would use the conventional SW colour progression, Fang, Russ, Fenresian and emulate this type of camo

fant1709_500bluecamo.jpg

I think this would be a great way to paint "Logan's" Landraider, and probably a vindicator as well. I would still have plenty of company and pack markings, using the Black and white of the Wolf that Stalks the Stars and some yellow and grey for the WG.

What do you all think of this? Some ppl say that space marines abhor camo, but i think this specific type is still grand and proud enough to represent the wolves, but still give  a tactical advantage in certain situation.

Edited by CatSmasher, 19 January 2015 - 07:40 PM.

ETL_2014_Banner_V2_03C_Custos_Fidei.jpg

The lion and the eagle are symbols of strength, but they attack only the weak animals. The wolf however, is the only beast that dares to attack a stronger animal. Its lack of strength is compensated for but its extreme daring, courage, and adroitness. If he loses the struggle, he dies silently, with no expression of fear or pain; he dies proudly, facing his enemy.

Donkalleone

Donkalleone

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 576 posts

Its your Army do what you want.

For my Opinion it would look good done right.

Edited by Donkalleone, 19 January 2015 - 09:01 PM.

CatSmasher

CatSmasher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 714 posts

I'm not sure what you mean by "bad if done right"

The lion and the eagle are symbols of strength, but they attack only the weak animals. The wolf however, is the only beast that dares to attack a stronger animal. Its lack of strength is compensated for but its extreme daring, courage, and adroitness. If he loses the struggle, he dies silently, with no expression of fear or pain; he dies proudly, facing his enemy.

Donkalleone

Donkalleone

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 576 posts

i dont know what you mean msn-wink.gif . ... forgot the "not"

mactire

mactire

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,215 posts

Go for it, think that would cool. Post pics if you do try it.

I recognise my failing and will be sure to correct it
gallery_24878_5332_50483.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2012C.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2013A.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_03_ETL_2012A.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013B.gifgallery_29004_6198_8099.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_1994.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifETL_Medal_05.gifgallery_29004_10383_1937.pnggallery_29004_10383_927.pnggallery_29004_10383_4142.pngsml_gallery_69091_12729_9262.pnggallery_17224_3229_261.gifgallery_17224_3068_410.gifgallery_17224_3068_874.pnggallery_17224_3068_108.gifgallery_24878_5332_150.gif

Vash113

Vash113

++ SCRIPTOR CLASSIARIUM ++

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,660 posts

Personally I don't like camo on marines, however using it to display a range of blue/greys and add some depth and interest to your tanks is not a bad idea at all. The large empty panels on tanks are a painting conundrum for many a hobbyist. This sounds like it could be a very interesting solution!

"Are we going to scrap about it now. Argue which Legion is the toughest?"
"The answer always is, the Wolves of Fenris," Torgadon put in. "Because they're clinically insane."
-1st Captain Sigismund of the Imperial Fists and Captain of the Luna Wolves 2nd Company.

Comprehensive History Archive

LePetitHibou

LePetitHibou

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5 posts

It would definitely be unique, and I feel that more than any other chapter, camo fits in with the Wolves.

Lord Blackwood

Lord Blackwood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,306 posts

I think you should give it a shot 

sn33r

sn33r

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 135 posts
Here are my examples.. http://imgur.com/Vb5Zeog
And http://imgur.com/MZYuvuZ

Lord Blackwood

Lord Blackwood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,306 posts

that looks pretty solid Sneer 

BlodVargarna

BlodVargarna

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 515 posts
I like all the individualizations and customization on those models as well. Plain rhinos look really boring. Those look cool.

To whomever says that SM eschew camo, point them to the Rogue Trader book. Lots of examples of SM in camo incl SW. Besides, SW are craftier and wolfier than their vanilla flavored brethren.

Call_of_Chaos_8_Banner_01.jpgsml_gallery_29004_10691_1994.png

Nova_chron

Nova_chron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 790 posts
I like te camo you have there it is very tastefully done not OTT but still breaks up the lines of the model nicely.
we_badge_nova_chron.pnggallery_62972_10568_30745.jpg
"Man must truly be insane for he creates gods by the thousands yet cannot create the lowliest of worms" -plato

Vykryl

Vykryl

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,263 posts
Looks like WW2 ship cammo, broad swathes of color that break up the outline at a distance. Really like how your tanks look. May have to try it myself at some point
[img=http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac194/Khyron666/satali.gif]

CatSmasher

CatSmasher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 714 posts

Thanks for the input everyone, and I think I've made my decision to go ahead with this. Special thanks to sn33r for showing off his awesome stuff

Nadir

Nadir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 850 posts
http://lh3.ggpht.com...720/camo_lg.jpg

Camo banner anyone? ;)

gallery_17224_3068_108.gif

I'm not feel affronted by your response. But I have a hope, that you will burn in hell.

sn33r

sn33r

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 135 posts
Hello guys thanks for the likes.. ivebjust noticed how horrible the photos are..lol I need a better camera then my phone..

BlodVargarna

BlodVargarna

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 515 posts

http://lh3.ggpht.com...720/camo_lg.jpg

Camo banner anyone? ;)

That is the exact image from RT I was thinking of. I've always loved it!

CatSmasher

CatSmasher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 714 posts

In case you were curious, here is what i've got so far.

gallery_79108_10656_48030.jpg

gallery_79108_10656_75815.jpggallery_79108_10656_46408.jpggallery_79108_10656_28665.jpg

BlodVargarna

BlodVargarna

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 515 posts
Awesome! Is that airbrush or stencils/tape and spray paint?

CatSmasher

CatSmasher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 714 posts

All of the above. I borrowed some stencil stickers that a friend had, the rest is penciled in and taped off. 

I originally wanted something more mathematical, but i couldn't figure out how to make that happen. So this is basically just done by eye ball and a metric butt-tonne of tape.

Vykryl

Vykryl

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,263 posts
Looks good. I want to do something like this for my vehicles so they look different from my troops and dreads.
[img=http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac194/Khyron666/satali.gif]

eclipseone

eclipseone

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 47 posts
Looks cool! Really great work.

Since these types of models don't really have panel lines like you would find on a scale model kit, could I suggest some post shading? It may help with depth.

Justin

CatSmasher

CatSmasher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 714 posts

Thanks Justin,

This is still very much a work in progress. I plan on using an enamel "filter" to bring the colours together. I think when i add the other details like the pelt, gun, and regalia, the model will gain some depth and contrast.

eclipseone

eclipseone

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 47 posts
Awesome. I know how big a pain these camo jobs can be. I've recently done a 3 tone splinter camo on a Flanker! The masking alone in a project like you're doing can make you go cross eyed!

Justin

BlodVargarna

BlodVargarna

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 515 posts
Yeah these will look great after all the details are done and weathering added.