Copenhagen Warlords 2015 - the Dark Angels enter the league!

Master Ciaphas

Hail brethern! Loyal sons of the Lion!

I have for far, far to long shirked my duty. I have failed utterly to do justice to the FIrst Legion on the field of battle. The noble warriors of Caliban have languished on the shelves, gathering dust, longing for the chance to earn glory on the field of honour!

Now, in this year of 2015, I will do penance. I will field the Sons of the Lion and bring vengeance to the foes of the Emperor!

The local Games Workshop here in Copenhagen has launched a new round of it's Warlord series; a league tournament where the starting force of 600 points is increased by a further 200 points each month after the first. I have never - ever - participated in a league tournament, nor played a tournament either. I reckon I am "just not that kinda gamer". However, it might JUST teach me a lesson or two about how to manage the Dark Angels and perhaps give me back the pleasure and joy of playing my very first Warhammer army...

So, with that in mind, I set about crafting a 600 point army, that 1) should include miniatures that I have never played with 2) show me a new style of play 3) be fun to play! Without further ado, I played about with the numbers, and finally settled on the following:

Strike Force Vendetta

Anomander, lexicanium librarian

- Tactical dreadnought armour & combi-plasma (Divination Discipline)

Deathwing squad "Malignus"

- Sergeant Malignus w. power sword & storm bolter

- Brother Themiel w. Cyclone Missile Launcher, thunder hammer & storm shield

- 3 Terminator battle-brothers w. storm bolter and power fist

3rd Tactical squad "Raziel"

- Veteran Sergeant Raziel w. bolt pistol & power axe

- Battle-Brother Lex w. plasma gun

- 4 battle-brothers w. bolters

3rd squad Drop Pod

- Storm bolter

5th Tactical squad "Damas"

- Sergeant Damas w. bolter & chainsword

- Battle-brother Malachi w. missile launcher

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/image2_zps133121ed.jpeg

Lexicanium Anomander (to be painted)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/image1_zps6e7c3416.jpeg

Deathwing squad "Malignus"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/image4_zps9f2c7919.jpeg

3rd Tactical squad "Raziel" w. Drop Pod

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/image3_zpsba098b32.jpeg

5th Tactical squad "Damas"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/image_zpsa963fc6b.jpeg

Strike Force Vendetta

So, in the coming days (meaning the rest of January 2015), I will be facing off against the following three armies in "my" league:

The Forgotten Force (Tau Empire)

Commander 

- 2 plasma rifles, neuroweb system jammer, puretide engram neurochip, Xv8-02 Crisis "Iridium" battlesuit

Fire Warrior squad

- 6 Fire Warriors w. EMP grenades

- Devilfish transport w. sensor spines, burst cannons, twin-linked smart missile systems

Kroot Carnivore squad 

- 10 Kroot Carnivores

Skyray Missile Defence Gunship

- 6 Seeker Missiles, twin-linked smart missile systems, sensor spines, Blacksun filters

Sniper Drone team

- Firesight Marksmen w. markerlights

- 5 Sniper Drones

The Champions of Fenris (Space Wolves)

-Wolf Guard Battle Leader w. frost sword

-Dreadnought w. 2 twin-linked autocannons

Grey Hunter squad #1

- 5 Grey Hunters, 1 flamer

Grey Hunter squad #2

- 5 Grey Hunters, 1 flamer

- Land Speeder w. typhoon missile launcher & heavy bolter

Swiftclaw Bikers

- 4 Swiftclaws, 1 power fist

Long Fang squad

- 3 Long Fangs, 2 missile launchers

Splinter Fleet Charybdis (Tyranids)

1 Hive Tyrant w. wings & 2 twin-linked devourers w. brainleech worms

1 Venomthrope

Termagant brood (30)

- fleshborers

1 Tervigon w. electroshock grubs

As for the tactics, well, I am mostly worried about the Tau, as I have 1) heard mean things about them and 2) they have crazy amounts of firepower to throw at me. The crucial thing, I would think, is to demolish the commander early followed by the Sniper Drones, as they are the only things which can seriously hurt my Deathwing and Librarian. 3rd squad can hurt the Tau Commander with the plasma gun and in close combat, but still...

The Space Wolves are an unknown size for me; I have never played against them, so I have no idea about to to do my target priority? Advice would be welcome, as I would love the "live fire pratice session" against them to go in my favour :-) 

Least worried I am about the Tyranids; the key to breaking them will be to annihilate the Tyrant early. If that is done, then I should be alright; even then, I have a fair chance against it in close combat.  

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

Make sure the Tau commander has no where safe to jump as in deployment is key otherwise he'll leg it, don't waste shots on him he's got 4 wounds reduce the firepower coming at you by targeting the softer units then tie him up in combat if possible, Pyro on the librarian will melt away the sniper drones and allow you to target another unit for shooting try get it so he's having to look out from his marksman controller once he's dead they dive in ballistic skill as he's got some sort of fancy drone control thingy that boosts BS

Good luck let us know how you do

Hail frateris!

So, thank you all for your words of encouragement. They are much appreciated! 

And yes, I know that the 600 point list is "interesting" - as it does a nice Alpha Strike, but after that, it is really, really slow!

League Battle #1 - Strike Force Vendatta vs. The Forgotten Force (Tau Empire)

So - the first game of the Copenhagen Warlords League has come and gone. I had the pleasure of playing against a lovely painted Tau army; complete with urban (blue) digital camouflage. We played on a standard 6x4 table with quite a bit of urban ruins. The Tau lost the deployment roll, and I chose the side with the most cover, forcing him to deploy in the open. His side had a large hill in the center of his line, on which was a ruined building. On his right flank there was a copse of trees, while his right was completely devoid of buildings.

My deployment zone had two large ruined buildings, one of which had a causeway between two of the sides, giving a fair view across to the copse of trees on the Tau side. I decided to deploy first, so that I would - provided the Tau did not seize the initiative - have the first turn. 5th Tactical squad "Damas" was deployed on the causeway with their missile launcher. I rolled "Brilliant Planning" on the Warlord trait table from the Dark Angels codex, whilst my opponent rolled a "re-roll all "1"'s to hit". So - mine was useless, whilst his was...well...brilliant. As for the power, I rolled "Precognition" on the Divination discipline. That was alright, but not stellar.

The Tau deployed so that his Firelight team was placed on the hill in the ruined building. Behind it, he deployed a Devilfish with a Fire Warrior team. The Skyray Missile Defence Boat was placed just in the copse of trees, while the Kroot Carnivore squad infiltrated into the ruined building on my right flank. His Commander was placed in the centre of his line, behind a ruined building, so that he was out of sight from 5th Tactical squad.

The game commenced; and there was Night Fight in the first turn and the Tau failed to seize the initiative!

With peal of thunder and the stink of ozone, Deathwing squad "Malignus" and lexicanium Anomander teleported in. The teleport scattered 4", but landed safely otherwise. 3rd Tactical squad crashed into the ground with their Drop Pod, and were right on target. Deploying efficiently from it, they stood ready to either gun down the perfidious Tau commander or the Firelight Snipers.

Anomander failed Precognition off, as the Tau managed to Deny the Witch with three 6's. In the shooting phase, the Deathwing fired everything they had at the Tau commander, and inflicted a measly two wounds, despite being twin-linked on everything. When the turn came to 3rd squad, the Tau commander used his Neuroweb thingy, making all the weapons susceptible to Get Hot! Fortunately, I rolled hits with the entire lot (9 bolt hits and 2 plasma hits). Naturally, one of the plasma hits failed to wound, and it came down to two wounds from the bolters...the Emperor smiled upon the Dark Angels, and the Tau commander went down, felled by a bolter! First Blood and Slay the Warlord was thus claimed! From their vantage point on the causeway, the miss-ile launcher lived up to its name, and did diddly-squat.

The Tau, hungry for revenge, turned their attention on the Deathwing. The Devilfish deployed further behind the ruin, and the Fire Warriors disembarked. Unleashing the Sniper Drones on the Deathwing, Brother Themiel with the Cyclone Missile Launcher was felled by a rending sniper shot, the sole casualty. The Fire Warriors and the Devilfish, as well as the Skyray, tried to bring down 3rd squad and their Drop Pod, but their combined fire did naught but remove a hull point.

Leading the Deathwing towards the Skyray, Veteran Sergeant Raziel led his squad towards the Fire Warriors. Manifesting his powers, Anomander managed to invoke both Prescience and Precognition. 5th squad finally managed to hit the Skyray and knocked a hull point of it. The Drop Pod fired its storm bolter and killed a single Sniper Drone.

Assaulting, the Deathwing reached the Skyray and 3rd squad made contact with the Fire Warriors, despite a marine being gunned down by overwatch; sergeant Raziel, in the lead, was saved only by a fortuitous Look out, Sir! roll. The combat was predictable sort; the Deathwing tore the Skyray from the sky, whilst 3rd squad slaughtered the hapless Tau Fire Warriors.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/CPHWarlords01_zps2bdf2b58.jpg

Seeing that the battle was moving against them, the Devilfish scuttled away, while the Kroot moved further towards the Dark Angels deployment zone, so that they could claim an objective and Linebreaker. In the shooting phase, the Tau killed off a single Deathwing terminator and a Dark Angel marine from 3rd squad.

Moving away from the demolished Skyray, the Deathwing focused their attention on the surviving Tau Snipers. 3rd squad also moved into assault position. In the excitement, Anomander forgot to manifest powers, as the shooting started; the Deathwing killed off a single Sniper Drone, while the Drop Pod managed to kill off a Tau Sniper leader. 3rd squad assaulted and survived the overwatch fire unscathed. Again, the combat was predictable, and the Tau were yet again killed to the last xeno. Glory to the Emperor!

Now seriously worried, the Kroot advanced back towards their own lines, so that they could shoot at 3rd squad, while the Devilfish moved further over on the open Tau left flank. The combined Tau shooting brought down a single, noble Dark Angel from 3rd squad.

Anomander left the Deathwing, moving towards the last unexplored objective on the battlefield. The Deathwing moved forward, hoping to get into the battle once more. 5th squad fired a frag missile at the Kroot, but failed miserably to wound a single one. 3rd squad once again did their duty, and a long range hit from the plasma gun struck true, immobilizing the Devilfish and removing a hull point.

The Kroot decided to leg it back to the Dark Angels deployment zone, once again being able to claim Linebreaker. The downed Devilfish managed to snapshot, and a lucky hit brought down the fourth Dark Angel from 3rd squad. Now, only Veteran Sergeant Raziel and brother Lex were left. Despite being whittled down by incessant Tau fire, Raziel held his nerve and remained in the fight.

The Dark Angels Deathwing moved forward, but was still far out of range of anything. Lexicanium Anomander moved further towards the objective, but obviously got caught on some vines in the copse of trees, moving but slowly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/CPHWarlords02_zps91e03a33.jpg

5th squad once again missed with their miss-ile launcher, whilst 3rd squad knew what was required of them, and another plasma shot penetrated the Devilfish, this time merely stunning it, but still stripping off a hull point, leaving it with one remaining.

The Kroot hunkered down in the far right corner of the Dark Angels' deployment zone, while the Devilfish tried to kill another marine from 3rd squad - this time without any luck!

Night descended then, and the Tau wisely decided to abandon the field, leaving the Dark Angels victorious! Glory to the Emperor! Glory to the Lion! Death to the xenos!

So, the first game was a victory - and it could have gone horribly wrong, had my deep strikes been off the mark or had the Tau been a bit luckier with their dice rolls. Overall, I am terribly psyched by the Tau Empire - they just have SO MUCH FIREPOWER and mobility; it is horrible. I think that my force might be handicapped by a lack of mobility. In round two, I might just add a squad of Ravenwing Black Knights or an ordinary Ravenwing Attack Squadron. Time will tell...

So - advice on how to defeat the Space Wolves whom I will be playing on Tuesday, will be much appreciated!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

If the missions are Maelstrom of War (I can't tell from the batrep if they are or not) Tacticals traits is the number 1 pick. Personal traits being my second choice because everything is also useful. Strategic is good but has a few duds depending on the situation.

Very well played on your first game. I love smaller games, gives you more time to think and teaches you how to better apply your resources.

As for tips against the Space Wolves, by the looks of his Space Wolves list he has a firing line happening with his Grey Hunters acting as counter units when you get closer. Unfortunately the way your list is you will need to go to him. he also has the bikes and the Speeder take rush off and take objectives.

If it were me playing with your list against these Wolves, I would do the following:

1. The bikes will most likely be deployed so that they can grab an objective in their first movement phase. I would drop your pod onto the objectives closest to the bikes and Tac squad 3 to rip into them and hope that plasma takes down at least 2.

2. Take Telepathy on the Libby. Deepstrike your Terminators in a way so the Cyclone within range of the Speeder and you are close to the Long Fangs. Psychic Scream the Long Fangs and if that doesn't take them out use your Storm Bolters and Split Fire the Cyclone into the Speeder this will force it to jink at least so it will be snap firing it's missiles.

3. Use your ML from the Tac squad to help hunt the Speeder or to kill another bike. Don't be too worried about that Dreadnought. It's slow so your Termies should catch it and squish it and since it doesn't have a CC arm it's relatively safe for you to assault it.

If all goes well the first turn the rest of the game you can hunker down on objectives and mop up his squads. Remember he doesn't have any AP2 in his army so how you use your Termies will be key.

Tips for playing the Nids, oh yay Dakka flyrant.

He has 3 slow moving units and the flyrant can't hold objectives unless he comes down and they take a lot of risk when they do that so Tyranid players tend not to. The flyrant will most likely delete one of your squads per turn so u'll need to at least force him to jink every turn.

What I would do:

1. Opt to go second if you win the roll.

2. Deploy the Tac squad with the ML out of LOS of the flyrant but close to an objective. It will make a bee line for this squad anyway as it's the only thing it can shoot at. You will be snap firing the ML at it anyway so move into position and shoot at the flyrant. This will also hopefully draw the flyrant away from his main force.

3. Land the pod on an objective (if you can)  in range of the flyrant so you can shoot at it, snap firing yes but you only need to cause one wound to make him fall to the ground and he's either gonna jink against your plasma or feel that he is safe and if you do roll a 6 that's at least a wound you'll knock off him.

4. Libby takes Divination. Drop the Termies close to the Tac squad and focus the flyrant. Twin-linked weapons from DWA means you'll have a better chance to score a hit and for the first turn your libby can give Prescience to the Tac squad (or the Missile Launcher squad if close enough). If he didn't jink before he should be jinking now. From then on the Libby casts Prescience on the Termies till they either kill or ground the flyrant.

5. If the Flyrant ever gets grounded you focus it like there's no tomorrow.

6. From there you focus his Venomthrope. His large group of Termagants will make a slow move to an objective in the middle of the board, just keep your distance. He will be birthing more Termagants so they can go and cap more objectives so try and kill the Tervigon after the Venomthrope. The rest of his army will be moving together because of the Tervigon's Synapse.

7. Save your deny dice for if or when the Flyrant goes for Catalyst. You want to try and stop it from getting Feel No Pain.

Hope the tips help. Good luck and let us know how you go.

Hail!

Excellent advice on the Space Wolves! Thank you! I will try to follow it ... and then to see what happens!

I have during the weekend been painting a bit, so my HQ is now done and finished, as it should be. I am loath to play with unpainted mini#s, but ends must... So, without further ado, here is Lexicanium Anomander; leader of Strike Force Vendetta in the first heat!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/Dark%20Angels%20-%203rd%20Company/DarkAngelsTerminatorLibrarian01_zps9f920297-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/Dark%20Angels%20-%203rd%20Company/DarkAngelsTerminatorLibrarian02_zpsb1485265-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/Dark%20Angels%20-%203rd%20Company/DarkAngelsTerminatorLibrarian03_zps304b5646-1.jpg

I hope that he meets approval for the tabletop!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

Hail frateris!

Thank you all for your advice. It is very much appreciated! I had the pleasure of playing against the Space Wolves yesterday, and here follows the report.

The table was set up thus:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/IMG_2505_zpsea80b947.jpg

I lost the roll for deployment zone, and the Space Wolves chose to deploy on the left of the battlefield; placing me in the open. As for who would deploy first and take the first turn, I lost once more, but my opponent made me deploy first, hoping to seize instead. Duly I deployed 5th Tactical squad "Damas" on top of the derelict bastion in my far right corner. 3rd squad "Raziel" was in reserve, whilst Lexicanium Anomander went with Deathwing squad "Malignus" in Deathwing Assault (turn 1). 

As for Warlord Traits my opponent initially rolled "Saga of Heroes" (?) where he could re-roll to hit and wound in challenges (the "1" on his table); he chose to re-roll and got a "2" instead which was useless to him, as he had neither beasts or cavalry in his army. I rolled a "Forward Planning" on the Tactical traits table - but forgot to use it! As for the psychic power, I rolled "Invisibility" on the Telepathy discipline. FOR THE LION!

My opponent failed to seize and the game was on!

With great courage the Angels deep struck their forces near the Space Wolves defensive line

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/IMG_2506_zpsaf840326.jpg

Being so near the enemy, Anomander called upon the warp and shrouded squad Malignus with the power of invisibility; he then attempted to manifest a psychic scream, but the Long Fangs easily passed their 3d6 leadership test (they rolled "5"). In the shooting phase squad Damas sniped a single Grey Hunter with their missile launcher, whilst squad Malignus and Anomander managed to kill two of the Long Fangs in front of them in the trench lines - so much for twin-linked Storm Bolters and combi-plasma fire...the Cyclone Missile Launcher split fire and took a hull point off the Space Wolves Typhoon, shaking it also. Squad "Raziel" deployed in front of the Swiftclaw bikers, rapid firing everything, but only managed to kill a single biker. The Wolves would now strike back!

The Swiftclaws moved towards squad "Raziel" along with the Mortis Dreadnought. The two Grey Hunter squads moved towards the Deathwing, whilst the Typhoon moved flat out towards one of the objectives, securing it. In the shooting phase the Hunters fired everything at the Deathwing, but failing to do any damage. The Mortis fired at squad "Raziel", hitting and wounding everything, but the armour proved to be impenetrable. Alas, the luck was not to continue. The last remaining Grey Fang removed a hull point from the drop pod, whilst the Swiftclaw bikers rapid fired their total of 6 bolt shots and promtply killed 4 Marines - including Veteran Sergeant Raziel, who failed first his Look Out, Sir! roll and then his armour save. 

Moving into assault, the Swiftclaws engaged the remainder of squad "Raziel", whilst the two Hunter squads tried to engage squad "Malignus" - only one of the Grey Hunters came into contact, whilst the Grey Hunter squad with the Wolf Guard battle leader failed their charge roll. In combat another Dark Angel was felled by the Swiftclaws, but luckily the powerfist fluffed his three attacks, leaving only Brother Lex with his plasma gun. With Grim Resolve, he held firm! The combat against the terminators was predictably bloody; the Wolves failed to kill any of the Deathwing, and where themselves slaughtered to the last man; even Anomander with his measly 2 attacks on AP4 managed to down one! First Blood to the Dark Angels!

Having survived the Space Wolves riposte, the Angels of Darkness moved in to make a kill! The Deathwing moved towards the Wolf Guard battle leader and his squad. Once more Anomander manifested the power of Invisibility and Psychic Scream on the last Long Fang…who once more passed his leadership test on a “4”. The shooting phase involved squad Damas hitting the Typhoon who jinked out of the way, whilst the Deathwing Cyclone Missile Launcher took a hull point from the Mortis Dreadnought. The drop pod fired it’s storm bolter at the Long Fang, but failed to wound. Squad Malignus fired their storm bolters at the last Grey Hunter squad, killing one, whilst sergeant Malignus precision hit the Wolf Guard battle leader – and wounded him!

With shooting done, the up close and personal business of close combat could commence!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/IMG_2507_zps4f1e9236.jpg

The combat between Brother Lex and the Swiftclaws ended quickly, Lex being felled by the Wolves. In the combat between the Deathwing and the Grey Hunters, Anomander issued a challenge to his counter-part, who bravely accepted! His demise was, however, swift, as the Librarian hit and wounded with all his attacks, and the Wolf failed one of the saves. Slay the Warlord was now claimed by the Angels of Caliban, as well as the Gloryhunter tactical objective! Squad Malignus did short work of the remaining Grey Hunters, killing them all.

At the start of the Space Wolves second turn, the game looked thus

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/IMG_2508_zpsc0105ab8.jpg

The Swiftclaws moved towards the Deathwing, whilst the Typhoon moved into cover of a bunker near 5th Tactical squad “Damas”. The Mortis moved towards the Deathwing as well. In the shooting phase, the Swiftclaws failed to damage the terminators, whilst the Typhoon killed off a single marine from 5th squad. The Long Fang tried to destroy the drop pod, but the missile could not penetrate the armour. The Mortis hit the terminators, but did no damage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/IMG_2509_zps691c453d.jpg

Deciding that close combat was preferable, the Swiftclaws moved in; Anomander struck first and killed a single biker; whilst sergeant Malignus moved into base contact with the power fist; he manage – fortunately – to kill the powerfist before it could strike! The last remaining biker did no damage and was crushed into the ground by the remaining Deathwing!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/IMG_2511_zps3c23a6c2.jpg

Consolidating forwards, the Deathwing moved in front of the Mortis and the last Long Fang. 5th Tactical squad “Damas” fired at the Typhoon, hitting and penetrating once, only to witness the pilot jink the machine aside at the last moment! The Cyclone Missile Launcher managed to hit the Mortis, taking off another hull point. Anomander decided not to call upon the warp, and let the honest strength of Man carry the day!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/IMG_2512_zps85e635c6.jpg

The charge connected fully, though it was disordered as both the Mortis and Long Fang were engaged. The Space Wolves managed to hit and wound with their attacks, but the superlative tactical Dreadnought Armour warded against all blows! In return Anomander slew the Long Fang, whilst the power fist and thunder hammer armed Deathwing ripped the Mortis apart. 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/IMG_2513_zpsb2e46b25.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/IMG_2514_zpsb926120f.jpg

The Wolves only had the Typhoon remaining now; the pilot raced flat-out away from squad “Damas” in the bastion and claimed an objective for the Space Wolves.

Closing, the Deathwing turned their attention on the speeder. The combined fire from squad “Damas” – which once more saw the missile jinked aside – and the impressive firepower from squad “Malignus”, finally saw the last hull point glanced off the Land Speeder Typhoon.

With no forces left on the field of battle, Strike Force Vendetta stood as victors!

10VP vs. 2VP

So; the second game went exceedingly well, and now I only have to contest with the Tyranid player (who is in danger of defaulting, as he was gone radio silent…). The game was fun – for me at least – though I hope my opponent also had some enjoyment. Invisibilty clearly had a major effect, nullifying the attention of several Space Wolves squads for several turns. I would surely have avoided the Deathwing like the plague, had I played the Space Wolves, rather than attempt to engage them in close combat whilst they were invisible. Each to his own, I guess… The use of it also means, that that particular power will be banned in the 2nd round of the League – which I only can agree with!

Soon, the results from the month will be put up, and the victors will be paired off in new competitions…and the points will be increased to 800, rather than the current 600. Any suggestions on a list?

I hope that you enjoyed the battle!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

Hail!

Thank you both for you comments! I am well pleased to have do well so far; well pleased indeed! That I won against the Tau Empire was quite the surprise; the Wolves I had expected to win against, or at least draw. The Tyranids - whom I have not played, as the player has gone under the radar - might also have proved a difficult nut to crack! So I am happy to get a default win against him. 

Next round - February - will be coming up soon, and it seems that I was mistaken. We are allowed to field all new lists, and these of 900 points, and not 800, as I thought. Any suggestions on how to do the Lion justice with 900 points of Dark Angel righteousness?

Cheers!

Regards,

Master Ciaphas 

Very well done mate!

If you can only have an extra 100 points maybe a Land Speeder Typhoon for some mobile harassment and objective taking and put an extra marine and a Combi-weapon in squad Raziel?

Hail frateris!

So - the 2. round of league has been put up, and I know that I will be playing against an Ork player and an Eldar. The last in my pool has not yet published his army...and nor have I, actually.

Still, the Ork will be fielding this:

Da Reddaneks (Orks 900 pts (CAD))

Mek, kombi weapon w/skorcha (25 pts)

HQ
Painboy w/ warbike (75 pts)
Warboss, boss pole, warbike, da lucky stikk, power klaw (140 pts)

Troops
10 boys, trukk (dedicated transport), reinforced ram, boss nob with bosspole, powerklaw (147 pts)

10 gretchin, Runtherd (35 pts)

Fast Attack

5x Deff Koptas, TW-rokkits (150 pts)
7 warbikers, warbiker nob, bosspole, power klaw (184 pts)

Heavy support
7 Lootas 
3 Mek gunz, 2 kannons, 1 traktor kannon. 3 ammo runts (75 pts)

I have only played against Lootas, Trukk Boys and Warboss on a bike before, so I have no clue as to how this army will play. Suggestions? 

And here is the Eldar list:

Eldar (900 points CAD)

HQ

Farseer, Jetbike, Singing Spear, Mantle of the laughing god, Spirit Stone of Anathlan (175pts)

Warlock, Jetbike, Singing Spear (55pts)

TROOP

5 Windrider Jetbikes (85pts)

5 Dire Avengers (65pts)
Wave Serpent, Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon (130pts)

Fast Attack

5 Warp Spiders (95pts)

Falcon, Brightlance (135pts)

Warwalker, Scatter Laser, Star Cannon (70pts)

3 Vraths Vault Shadow Weaver batteries (90pts)

Finally, I will also soon have to publish my own list, and I have a grand total of 900 points to field - there are no restrictions besides "No Allies", "No Lords of War". There is also a restriction of "Don't be that Guy", but as the Eldar are fielding 2x Wave Serpents, Wraithknight, Farseer with Malefic Summoning, Mantle, Spirit Stones on a bike, I consider that particular restriction to be a joke and it is not enforced...

And oh yes, I finished the first round 2nd place overall with 41 points. The winner was the Eldar player with the above list modified down to 600 points...

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

- there are no restrictions besides "No Allies", "No Lords of War". There is also a restriction of "Don't be that Guy", but as the Eldar are fielding 2x Wave Serpents, Wraithknight, Farseer with Malefic Summoning, Mantle, Spirit Stones on a bike, I consider that particular restriction to be a joke and it is not enforced...

:p indeed.

Glad you're doing so well thus far.

Cheers

I

Your having a Giraffe here with the Eldar list ?

That Elf list is a bit hardcore

A Whilrwind will come in handy against both as it has an ignores cover shell can hide from the opponents fire and drop a large template.

The deathwind launcher on the drop pod might come in handy as well and I'd probably go Pyro with the Librarian coz it has the Heavy Flamer as Base + some other ignores cover spells

Fit in a Whirlwind or two and a group of Devastators with 4 Missile Launchers will come in handy. Maybe make Anomander bare bones and stick him at the back in the Dev Squad for Prescience also. Frees you up points for other things you may need. 

For the Orks, get something to kill those Lootas asap and you want to focus on the Koptas as well. They have twin-linked Rokkit Launchas from memory (pretty much a krak missile).

For the Eldar oh boy. Definitely need to kill Wave Serpents. Just remember they don't have their fancy shield on the rear so maybe a couple of suicide units in pods with melta. Maybe even include a Techmarine just to have an auspex in the squad to -1 to their jink save. If you take a Dev squad with Missiles try and add some more bodies into it as you'll need the extra wounds as they will most likely target it first.

Hail!

So - I have been playing about with a small 900 points list:

Anomander - Librarian, Mastery Level 2, Power Field Generator

Command Squad, 5x Meltaguns, Drop Pod

Tactical Squad - 7 tactical marines, meltagun, Veteran Sergeant w. power axe, Rhino

Tactical Squad - 5 tactical marines, meltagun, Veteran Sergeant, Rhino

Ravenwing Attack Squadron, 4 bikes, 2 flamers, Sergeant, Ravenwing Attack Bike w. multi-melta

Whirlwind

How does that sound to you?

Regards,

Master Ciaphas

I think a whirlwind will absolutley be of benefit to you against the orks as well.  With barrage and ignores cover, you can snipe out the painboy and (try) to snipe out the warboss.  Once the characters are gone the actual boys are a lot less of a threat.  Also, those lootas will probably be put up in a building.  With the way the rules work now, if you score a blast on the building, it hits EVERYTHING underneath (every level).  In addition, the mek guns are t7 with 3+ armor.  I wouldn't bother shooting at them.  Punching them with deathwing or something like that might be effective.  The deff koptas likely won't do much damage.  They're more or less there to be a harrasment unit.  If you can kill like 2 of them, they will likely panic and flee off the board (unless he attatches his warboss to the unit, in which case, they become a somewhat deathstary type unit).  Best of luck, i look forward to seeing how you do!

I think a whirlwind will absolutley be of benefit to you against the orks as well.  With barrage and ignores cover, you can snipe out the painboy and (try) to snipe out the warboss.  Once the characters are gone the actual boys are a lot less of a threat.  Also, those lootas will probably be put up in a building.  With the way the rules work now, if you score a blast on the building, it hits EVERYTHING underneath (every level).  In addition, the mek guns are t7 with 3+ armor.  I wouldn't bother shooting at them.  Punching them with deathwing or something like that might be effective.  The deff koptas likely won't do much damage.  They're more or less there to be a harrasment unit.  If you can kill like 2 of them, they will likely panic and flee off the board (unless he attatches his warboss to the unit, in which case, they become a somewhat deathstary type unit).  Best of luck, i look forward to seeing how you do!

I wouldn't dismiss the Koptas so easily. There are 5 of them, fast moving and Twin-linked BS2 is still pretty decent. They are also essentially flying bikes so if they manage to assault one of your Tactical squads at full strength that's 15 attacks + Hammer of Wrath.

I suppose that's true. I typically bring them as one offs to harass a unit. At 5, they are a mobile threat of s8ap3, and can do some good damage. Still their Achilles heel is LD 7 and a body count of 5. Kill 2 and they will probably run 3d6 unless the war boss is attached. At that point it becomes a really deadly weapon (especially since outflank him.)

Archived