Thanks to all the positive feedback :). It motivates me to finish the army.

Still to come:

4 more phoenix guard

1 rhino

Thunder hammer sergeant

Storm Eagle

Fulgrim

That makes my 2500pts army as I've calculated now. Thinking of buying 1 more addition to the army at least, buy can't decide what it should be.

Thanks for sharing this army. The painting is stunning, just my kind of style but better than anything I've acieved. The third should always look stunning, and they do. I need to learn that nmm technique.

I'm assuming you play them as loyalists? Otherwise it would be nice to see what you did with kakaphoni. If I were going to suggest other additions I'd either say jet bikes, because they feel very IIIrd legion to me, or something else big. An allied EC scheme knight lancer or a glaive would be amazing!

Look forward to seeing you finish up.

Thanks for sharing this army. The painting is stunning, just my kind of style but better than anything I've acieved. The third should always look stunning, and they do. I need to learn that nmm technique.

I'm assuming you play them as loyalists? Otherwise it would be nice to see what you did with kakaphoni. If I were going to suggest other additions I'd either say jet bikes, because they feel very IIIrd legion to me, or something else big. An allied EC scheme knight lancer or a glaive would be amazing!

Look forward to seeing you finish up.

Thank you :).

I'm playing them as loyalist yes, never been one to go darkside ;). Fulgrim wil be carrying the paragon blade, and it all depends on the FW Eidolon model if I will include him or a custom Praetor. (if it's a chaos bend Eidolon, I don't want it).

I bought Fulgrim mostly for the model, not even sure if he will be in the final version of my 2500pts list, he will be in my 3000pts list for sure.

I've had jetbikes in my list for a long time, but those models are just insanely expensive. I don't mind spending money, but I do mind the fact that for 6 jetbikes, I could have a Fellblade, 2 Sircans or a 20 man assault squad unit. So I kicked them out, cause I'd rather have any of those other options.

The knight sounds fun, not sure if it's 'OK' to paint in in this colour scheme? Wouldn't that be 'incorrect'?

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines Sanguinata - I'm not too hot on Knight fluff, but you could certainly have a free blade that became bonded to the Emperor's Children. Alternatively House Orhlacc (from conquest) have a deep purple, black and gold scheme which would work nicely. Of course the rules for allying a Knight in for the 30K legion list are a bit odd, but it would just look awesome!

Thanks Marcus!

@Kor'vesh, I'm still very much in the proces of figuring out my list. I just can't seems to get to a 2500pts list that I'm happy with, and will be a bit competitive. (running low on Elite or Fast slots). I hate FW for giving EC such great models with such crappy rules and ROW.

A knight is a lot of points, and I think I'm short on models and units as it is..

I'm looking for a list with 2 good CC units, and enough fire support and flexibility in the rest of the list, to make that work.

Hoping to finish some of the Phoenix Guard tomorrow :)

Lovely minis!

Im building up an army of post-heresy Emperor's Children, but still decked out in the old legion colours, so really appreciate your fine work here.

Any chance of you passing on your recipes for the purple and NMM gold? I use Naggaroth Night (or whatever its called these days), followed by a layer of Xereus Purple, a wash of Leviathan Purple, and finally highlights with Xereus again up to Genestealer Purple. Its comes out bit darker than yours, so i would like to know how you manage your regal style!

Lovely minis!

Im building up an army of post-heresy Emperor's Children, but still decked out in the old legion colours, so really appreciate your fine work here.

Any chance of you passing on your recipes for the purple and NMM gold? I use Naggaroth Night (or whatever its called these days), followed by a layer of Xereus Purple, a wash of Leviathan Purple, and finally highlights with Xereus again up to Genestealer Purple. Its comes out bit darker than yours, so i would like to know how you manage your regal style!

I'm using GW colours less and less because I don't like the 'bottles'.

They way I do my purple:

Black undercoat

Complete cover of 'Game Color Hexed Lichen' and black

Highlight of 'Game Colour Hexed Lichen'

Highlight of 'Game Colour Hexed Lichen' + White  (for this last highlight I'm using 'Demonic Skin' of the 'Miniature' brand lately).

I've also been using Xereus and Genestealer in the beginning, but those tones were just a bit off, from what I was looking for.

Btw, I airbrush all the purple, thats why I only use 4 stages (airbrush helps to make it seem like more highlights).

After the 4 stages with the airbrush, I highlight the edges with the last airbrush highlight mixture (but then with a brush) and then another highlight with pure white.

I normally don't go for less then 5 stages (the gold is 12 stages, which is why it takes so long for me to finish a model :tongue.:. I'm so done with this gold, not going to use it in my next army :tongue.:)

Edited by MorgothNL

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to finishing the Phoenix Guard. 

Next up will be Fulgrim or a Storm Eagle (or perhaps jetbikes if I get them soon).

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/MorgothNL/IMG_2338_zpsnbjexdbl.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/MorgothNL/IMG_2339_zpsc3oxda1q.jpg

The spear blades are just a quicky till I've decided what to do with them (NMM silver, normal metal or blue power weaponish).

very VERY nice emperors children ,love the senmm gold and the freehand on the sicaran .excellent work thanx for sharing

Thank you, but there is no freehand, I think you're talking about the etched brass.

In the books their silver blades flash, maybe a little energy field over them, like a slight glaze or something?

That might do, silver with a hint of blue energy. Maybe simply like the sabres on the palatine guard (the way fw painted them).

I'm slowly working on my Storm Eagle at the moment. I'll be glad when I've finished painting the engines (they're not going to be fancy, but they're darn hard to reach without messing up the purple surroundings).

PS. What's up with fw still not having released an EC IC? (Dying to paint Eidolon).

Amazing work Loyalist III legion where always the second choice for me I just love Sigi to much but the work you have done here is light years beyond what i can do, the smoothness of the glowing eyes, and the light effect you get in the gems on the pheonix guard is crazy good.  You're non metalic metal is one of the best i have seen photos of I know it can be hard to get a good picture of non metallics but these are great and they look superb. The purple you have achieved is the perfect balance between bright and colourful while retaining that rich strength that can really let a coulour like purple have a martial edge. Its sad when you see all these pre heresy III legion and they look pink,  but i love the tone you have got there. you're highlighting is really good as well, the crispness and discipline you have in youre line and edge control really alows you to use an extreme shift from the dark purple to clean white and it looks like light playing along the armour contours, I know from expierience this is easy to say and hard to execute consistantly.  The cleaness of you're whites on accent areas is also very good all in all man a really good exhibition of skill in this army well done.