Carcharodon Predation fleet Mako: Image repair 2-9-17

airinhere

Melta bombs.  I decided I wanted the grenades and melta bombs to loook like juicy red chunks of bloody flesh.  

Great idea. Can I borrow it for a Carcharodon army?

Carcharodon Marine (before he throws a frag grenade into a Tyranid's mouth): "Hungry? Eat this!"

I started laying basecoats for my camoflauged marines and my chaplain.  I also got a clearcoat on the main Vanguard Vet force, so I will be able to base them with mud and snow soon.  

I am thinking I will go around and add a thin black line in the middle of each dark red camo pattern squiggle, but maybe a black on top and white for the bottom to make it look 3-D?.  I have accepted that I will likely have to use another 3 rounds of yellow to get the highlighable areas to look nice and bright yellow.  

A bit of white for the face, gold and silver for all his chains and religous items and this guy should start forming up nicely.  Edge highlighting will go a long way to making this HQ model look good in the middle of such a colorful army.

Undecided on making the eye lenses red or black.  Weapons and pouches will be done in the normal colors.  I am leaning towards doing black and white thin lines to make each camo pattern look 3-D. 

Should I keep the shoulderpads yellow or make them black with gold trim like the ones on all the other brothers?

Edited by airinhere

Leave the Assault Marines' pauldrons in camouflage. To avoid offending the power armor's machine spirit, leave a postage stamp-sized patch of armor in the original colors- ON THE BACKPLATE, where the backpack will cover it and deny the enemy an easy shot.

Last night I pushed ahead and completed my first group of Vaangaurd Vets.  I am not sure how I feel about the border of the base, but I wanted something to brighten the base and make them stand out.  I might scrap the light blue trim and go for the classic black that I originally envisioned.

804829_md-.JPG

Chainsword and Power Sword brothers.  Carcharodons love Chainswords but the VV tend to go into more specialized close combat gear.  Chainswords are more common with the Tactical squads.

804828_md-.JPG

Lightning Claws are a common close combat option that lingers from their founding days as a splinter of the XIX Legion.  

Melta Bombs, Plasma Pistols and Flamers add some variety to the close comabat squads loadout that heavily favors Lightning Claws.

804830_md-.JPG

Fifteen veteran brothers of Predation Fleet Mako finished and ready to enter combat.

Edited by airinhere

Rain cancelled work today and I chose to finish my final set of Vanguard Vets.  I deviated a little from the basic camo scheme shown in the old Rogue Trader book, but am very pleased with how it has turned out.  To appease the suits machine spirit, I opted to leave the right pauldron black with the chapter marking on it.  

Each squad of five men balances a variety of chainswords, lightning claws, power axes and swords and various pistols.  Plasma weapons are favored by the Brothers of Predation Fleet Mako.

Bloody armor is one satisfying result of using a chainsword to argue with Xenos and heretics!

Chaplain HQ element leading these veteran brothers into combat.

Tribal markings adorn the Chaplains armor, but the camoflauged brothers armor will need to be reconsecrated with markings after they return the armor to chapter colors.

Here is a wide shot of all 25 Vangaurd Vets and their Chaplain leader.

804832_md-.JPG

Edited by airinhere

• 2 weeks later...

Carcharodon Tactical squads bear a strong resemblance to traditional assault units.  Each brother is encouraged to bring close combat weapons with them.  This allows each brother to fill a dual role of mid range fireteam and direct assault unit.  Powerful mid field weapons are made available to each Tactical team.  The fearsom Grav-cannon is the final heavy weapon brothers are trained to use as they are promoted from the dedicated Devastator units into a Tactical squad.  The new brothers armor, unstained from close combat and battlefield damages, is often a lighter shade of Grey than their more experienced brothers armor.  But over time it gathers a dark patina that each brother takes great pride in.

Veteran Sgt. armed with two chainswords.  Many veterans practice a two handed style of chainsword combat that is frighteningly effective.  Bloody, but effective.

807839_md-.JPG

Many brothers wield a chainsword and revel in using it to horrifying effect.  Some Brothers even use small chainsweapons fixed like bayonets onto their Bolters.

807838_md-.JPG

The lighter armor of Devestator squads is seen here on this brother operating a Grav Cannon.  Not every foe these Brothers face fears the chainsword.  A thoughtful aplication of fire from these mighty weapons can bring ruin to a wide range of large foes.

807840_md-.JPG

Simple geometric patterns adorn many brothers armor.  This squad wades across a Tyranid infested world as corrosive pustules burst forth and toothed and clawed monsters are birthed in bloody masses.

Edited by airinhere

Today I planned to spend the afternoon painting up my second squad of Tactical marines, but I fear fate has chosen another path. 

I have been looking to add another tac squad to my force, but I do not have enough sprues to turn into troops.  And then I found a solution on an blog from 2011.  They spoke of using chaos warrior bodiees and merging them with leftover marine parts.  Not only did I have a load of old chaos warriors lying around still on the sprue, but I had a bunch of random marine parts in my bitz box.  Coincidentally, just barely enough to make all ten models I needed.  Coincidence indeed......

I am doubly happy since these guys look brutal and should make for a nice bit of variety in my tactical squads.  The mixture of chainswords everywhere, bolters with bayonets and fur cloaked veterans should give a barbaric feel to my army.  I even found some old banners in the chaos box that could be repurposed for a nice barbaric, yet still Imperial company banner.  

Apparently I still had a couple sprues of Empire flagellants too hidden in my box of Chaos stuff.  I guess my Inquisitor will be getting a few more henchmen soon as well.

Here you can see where I used old RTB01 marine legs for one character and then some leftover legs from a ruined marine I found at the bottom of my bitz box.  I think using the front flap is a good idea since I am almost out of grenades and pouches after making my existing guys.

These guys are running a fine line between chaosy and Imperial.

Edited by airinhere

Praise unto the Emperor!  I have completed the second tactical squad for my current ETL vow.  One HQ section and a few IC left to go!

The second tactical team from predation Fleet Mako moves forward across a Tyranid infested landscape.  Bloody tentacles and bleeding pustules force these warriors to fight for every inch of terrain.  (Guess what my other favorite army is?)

Tactical squad vet sgt wielding dual chainswords.  the blood on his armor proves his skill at diplomatic solutions with the enemies of the Emperor.

I have added fur pelts to several brothers as grisly trophies alongside the skulls and heads collected by their brothers.  Carcharodons honor their strength by keeping a part of dangerous enemies.  These trophies remind all who face the Carcharodon brothers of what fate awaits the disloyal and the Xenos.

811061_md-.JPG

Both ETL vowed squads arrayed together.  Chainswords slick with blood, boltguns ready for lay down a hail of deadly fire.   Remember the litanies of battle and rejoice if they appear to fight alongside other children of the Emperor.  Soon all shall be relieved of this mortal coil.

807837_md-.JPG

More Tribal markings merged with blood reminding friend and foe alike that not all living in the 41st century are from advanced civilizations.

Initial color blocks have been applied to the HQ elements of Predation Fleet Mako ETL vow #2.  These warriors are honored by wielding the unpredictable plasma weaponry carefully maintained by the Fleet.  Bravery in the face of enemies is promised, but even the most crazed warrior still covers his eyes when he has a one in six chance of the gun exploding in his hand.

I am quite pleased with how the troops are coming out.  I plan to add the new models I made to my next ETL vow, but in the meantime, I might spend a while working on the chapter banner.  I want it to look brutal and more like the standard that a chaos warband would bear than the shiny company colors of a Ultramarine army.  Skulls and trophies of great battles will hang from the banner of a Carcharodon Astra.  

Edited by airinhere

Thank you, I am having a great time painting these guys and I am always happy to get a little praise.  Living on a tiny island, I do not have any community to interact with, so I post online instead.  Do not discount those craft store paints.  A little medium and water and they work just as good as the more expensive paints.  

I am looking at cleaning my already painted devestator squads and redoing them to fit more in line with my current plan for the army.  I went through a few changes on how to prepare my paints and thinning the paint.  Maybe I will add them to a third ETL vow.  It is amazing what a year of practice can do.

Made good progress on my HQ elements this weekend

Captain with thunder hammer.  

811060_md-.JPG

Executioner with storm shield and power axe.

Obligatory plasma gunner protecting his eyes from the expected explosions.

Predation Fleet Mako battle standard.

811058_md-.JPG

Edited by airinhere

ETL vow #2 completed!

Captain Lelash Muto Leads Ground Forces from his mighty Godhammer pattern Land Raider.   Always nearby, Chapter Executioner Simon Vask wields a mighty Power Axe and Storm Shield.  They are joined by Apothecary Hsuang Theil, one of few Apothecary sent to battle and trusted with the sole duty of preserving the life of the Chapter leadership.  Chaplain-Aspirant Davros Timon wields an assault shield and power sword as he leads a squad of three volunteers who are entrusted with use of the Chapter Plasma Rifles.  Their noble service leads to the path of Squadron Sgt eventually.  The burn marks left from Plasma use helping to build bonds of brotherhood between the squad Sergeants.

Joining these warriors are two from the Techmarine ranks.  

Master Uilio Brask of the Combat Engineering team wearing the rebuilt Terminator armor used to protect him deep in the heart of battle.  He often joins the Assault Terminator teams and keeps the Armored Crusader pattern Land Raiders operating across several campaigns.  His role is both deadly, but also needed.

Master of the Forge, Cardillo Espinosa, wears an ancient set of Modified armor and Multiple servo arms.  He deploys as needed to keep the chapter Dreadnoughts and Predators operating.  Each of these warriors represent a needed part of each campaign, but also a rare resource that is protected and gaurded carefully.

811059_md-.JPG

Carcharodon Command Squad Banner.  Forged of the maw from a massive beast raised in the depths of the Apex, its centuries long life saw it used to train thousands of brothers and it is still honored as a mighty servant of the Fleet.  Skulls of defeated foes are ritualy fed to the maw as they are taken from the leaders of enemy forces.  The stylized shark of Predation Fleet Mako can be seen on the red banner hanging below.  Trailing donw to the ground, the Litany of Victory reads of the Fleets ever growing awards and victories over the Xenos and Heretic.

Captain Lelash Muto wields a mighty Thunderhammer and wears the skulls of defeated enemy leadership. 

Executioner Simon Vask Stands ready to face any foe.  His abnormal strength is whispered to stem from chimeric geneseed or possibly even darker origins.

ETL vow #2 including both Techmarines, Captain, Executioner and Command Squad.

Edited by airinhere

The last week was really busy at work, but I stated a few things on my latest ETL vow.  I basecoated and washed all models and made some new Tyranid spore bases for them.  I am looking forward to completing all of these guys, but I am excited to see what I can make of these Sternguard models that I converted from fantasy Chaos warriors.

I often notice in my early images that the paint color I use looks eerily similar to unpainted grey models.

Devastator sergeant converted from an old snap fit marine.  I had to take a dremmel tool to clear enough space to fit the new head.  

Sternguard heavy weapons trooper with Heavy Flamer.

811065_md-.JPG

I added a powerfist to balance the model, not legal, but it looks cool.  I am thinking this fleet will have a number of mixed geneseed types added to the force.  Operating in isolation for centuries, Predation Fleet Mako makes every effort to collect any Marine geneseed to refill its ranks.  Loyalist, or renegade, they all provide needed sources of genetic material.  Using tests that have stood for thousands of years, each geneseed is scrutinized for warp taint or deviant mutation, once cleared by the Fleet registry they are pressed into service in specialized squads.  There is a pure strain of Carcharodon descended from the Primarch Corax, but added to the ranks are a mixture of randomly encountered geneseeds that are implanted into marine candidates and allowed to field as Scouts.  Many die during the brutal training and indoctrination, but of those that live, their strength sometimes builds to levels unexpected of other "pure" chapters.

811064_md-.JPG

Edited by airinhere

Good eye on the OSL.  Looking at it, I realize I did not highlight the edges or the eye facing toward the Thunder Hammer.  Without the highlights, the OSL ends up looking flat and loses the shine that makes it look like light as opposed to just being a discolored area.  Under the bright lighting I use, it appears fairly normal, but the camera shows what it will look like in normal lighting.  I shall have to hit him with a light touch of paint this evening after work.

Thank you all for the otherwise overwhelming support!  I have really enjoyed making these guys, and should soon finish my current ETL vow.  I am already starting to gather my final squads of Devastators and a horde of Scouts to use for my fourth vow.  I am even considering matching the Devastators to the Camo pattern used for the Assault Marines to show they are all part of a Skyhammer Annihilation Force.  

As for the rest of my army, I am looking to use my existing Scouts Scouts and my Vanguard Vets to be part of a  Shadowstrike Kill Team and then the Tacticals and HQ from my last vow will form a CAD with a Hunting Force, Land Raider Spearhead, Armoured Task Force and 1st Company Task Force all being represented in my overall army.  But my Entire Predation Fleet should be fully painted finally by the end of the ETL vows!  

Shark Week is upon us, so expect a few Army pics of all painted Carcharodons.

Edited by airinhere

Shark Week means it is time to pause and see what my entire army looks like deployed on the tabletop.  I am getting extremely close to finishing all my current models and am excited to finally have a fully painted army for the first time EVER!

Predation Fleet Mako fields large numbers of Scouts armed with a mix of Bolters, close combat weapons and sniper rifles.  Two squads of Assault Terminators and one Tactical Terminator squad arrive via Crusader to break enemy lines.  A small Librarian Conclave joins them along with Techmarine and Champion assets.  Marine Brothers are divided into Jump pack, Motorcycle and Tactical units, They train for rapid insertion attacks with Heavy weapon teams offering fire support from either Devastator, Attack Bike, Dreadnought or Rhino based systems.  Field command is divided into three theaters.  Terminator heavy assault, Motorcycle fast attack and Tactical ground forces.

803106_md-.JPG

Edited by airinhere

Progress made on ETL Vow #3 today.  My Devestator sergeant is coming out quite nice and I decided to use a 2nd edition marine with a minor amount of modification to add some bodies (meatshields) to the squad.  I am especially happy with how my Sterngaurd are developing.  I forsee another round of chaos warriors being chopped up and made into more of these barbarian style Marines.

Edited by airinhere