Carcharodon Predation fleet Mako: Image repair 2-9-17

airinhere

I have been preparing to leave my tiny island for the next few weeks and had to set aside my projects while I got my personal life sorted and ready for an extended visit with family.  However, my order from greenstuffworld.com arrived so I began modifying my two Battleships to appear more 'Imperial'.  Two Desecrator class Battleships were modified with improved armor, extended navigational array and expanded astropathic and navis-nobilis quarters.  These Battleships rarely return to Imperial space and have been modified over the last ten thousand years of service having originally been deployed as part of the 279th Expeditionary Fleet and later deployed As part of Predation fleet designation 'Mako'.

After priming the ship I can see that the greenstuff work has some unfinished edges.  I also ordered a box of milliput and hope that I can sculpt sharper edges and finer detail with the Milliput.  I also am planning to sculpt hangar bays in the rear slots where cannons normally go.  Carcharodons would need to keep a large force of Thunderhawks aboard each Battleship.

I added armor to the bow of the ship and plan to use milliput to get the edges as smooth as possible.  Working on such tiny scale means most of what I am doing is under a magniying glass.  Adding flight bays to this model will also need to be given consideration.  

900765_md-.JPG

Edited by airinhere

• 4 months later...

Last night I talked idly of being motivated to paint again after looking at the great work being done on Malcharions thread.  Today I had the Grav cannons and a set of six contemptor models I ordered last summer arrive at the same time.  So I have spent all afternoon cutting my fingers, gluning my fingers together, and generally having a great time.  my dreadnought army is going to double shortly.  

Centurions are among my least favorite models in the entire Space Marine line.  However, they have insane rules that make them highly effective and I have struggled about how to add some to my Carcharodon army without forcing those silly models into the middle of my lists.  So.........Mission dreadnought and Space Crusade dreadnoughts to the resue!

Here are two of the armored walkers equiped with Grav Cannon and Grav Amp.  Chains, skulls taken from their enemies and purity seals adorn these ancient Carcharodon war machines.  The weapons were mounted above the chassis as I recall my military days as a tank commander and using defensive positions with just our optics peering out above cover.  

The Mission Dreadnought model fields double Grav systems.  More trophies hang from its armored prow. 

856134_md-.JPG

The fast moving and highly armored Hastalis system walkers are named after an ancient species of shark that predated the Great White.  Armed with the advanced Grav weapon systems and Stabilizing units, they offer a terrifying rate of fire and punishing damage.  The veteran Carcharodons who man these systems are the elite of the Devestator squads and are hand picked to operate outside of the traditional progress of a Carcharodon Astra.  The tight knit brotherhood of these mounted warriors is utilized to deadly effect in both confined hallways of voidcraft and the dangerous battlefields of many distant worlds across the galaxy.

856133_md-.JPG

Edited by airinhere

The real catalyst to begin work on my Carcharodon was the insanely late delivery of a set of Contemptor models I ordered last Summer.  Since that order, the Red Tithe book featuring the Carcharodons has been released and there was a small part describing several ancient warriors entombed in Contemptor armor suits.  The suits were restrained and frozen solid ina  block of ice and had to be thawed out to be put into use.  The author has even alluded that the use of these restrained warrior machines was something that required careful thought.  Revered as they might be, these ancient Carcharodons were truly something to fear.  

The flaying fists of the Carcharodon Venerable Contemptor units blend brutal chainweapons, powerfists and flamer systems to rend, smash and burn their enemies.  Each venerable unit bears the trophies of victories from long ago.  Modifications to each unit has rerouted power supplies, and secondary systems repaired over the eons.  Chains hang from each power fist and serve to harness the fearsome machines to their frozen dais onboard their voidship home.

Armed with a Chainfist and a Modified Power claw, Grizzly trophies dangle from the chest of the ancient warrior known as Davros.  

856130_md-.JPG

Berzerker fury belies the gentle and slow movement of the venerable Carcharodon Malthusas.   Sudden bursts of insane fury and spinning chainblades rip through armor and flesh in a horrifying spectacle.  

856132_md-.JPG

Having enterred in his Contemptor armor after a failed dropship insertion, Sgt. Kaedes serves as a guide for the ancient squad of Marines.  Still prone to rage and often unable to focus fully on what is and is not reality, his ability to follow commands mid battle makes him a special and useful addition to the squad.

856128_md-.JPG

Some of the contemptor armored Carcharodons still retain clarity of action and they are entrusted with support weapons.  Kheres assault cannons and Cyclone missle systems provide long ranged effective support for their  brothers.  Grizly trophies and chains adorn these suits of armor also.  

856129_md-.JPG

Chains dangle from the front of these weaponized systems.  Gun mounts detatch and the Contemptors body must be physically restrained as they too are frozen in place for the long voyage between battlefields.  Over time these Carcharodons will lose grip on reality and melee weapons added to their arms.

856131_md-.JPG

Reliant upon long forgotten technology, these venerable suits all suffer from one unavoidable liability.  The degeneration of the marine entombed inside.  Their crippled bodies responding to eons locked inside a machine and unable to move, frozen and unable to even dream.  Over time, each machine begins to slide further away from reality until they become little more than mindless monsters rampaging across the galaxy.  Techmarines patiently guide these monsters back to their frozen lairs.   

Edited by airinhere

• 3 weeks later...

I have been able to work on my Hastalis model "Centurions" over the last week and I am getting close to finishing my models.  Each one is equiped with a Hurricane Bolter system and Grav cannons with Grav amps.  The Veteran Sergeant has a secondary set of Grav weapons.  Chains, skulls and devotional banners hang from the sides of each venerated system.  

Exile markings adorn each Hastalis system.  Heralding back to the Chapters Terran roots, these markings are unique to each Carcharodon.  Operating such rare equipment is a honor and new crew are interred only after careful consideration.  These advanced systems use similar technologies to standard Dreadnought systems.  

Veteran brothers are sometimes selected to be interred in these Heavy weapon systems.  Combining agility with advanced weapon systems, these machines are often found unleashing a brutal rain of fire upon the enemies of mankind.  Skulls and litanies of victory adorn each consecrated machine.

864401_md-.JPG

I still need to paint the Tyranid nodules and then finish basing each model.  I want to figure out how to make it look like the feet have squished some of the nodules and slime drips from each foot as it raises from the ground.

Edited by airinhere

I have had a good time painting and modeling for the last week or two.

Carcharodon Astra have crusaded past the light of the Astronomican since befroe the Horus heresy.  Ancient relics can trace their lineage back over 10,000 years.  Trophies, purity seals and exile markings can trace back thousands of years.  Among the most venerated machines are the Contemptor Dreadnoughts and the heroes of the chapter entombed inside.  As time passes, the minds of these terrifying warriors slowly slips further and further from reality.  Periods of catatonic calm can erupt into rage driven assault.  Chainfists and Power claws replace the relic Assault cannons entrusted to these brutal machines.

Heroes of the chapter man these relics and are entrusted with Kheres system Assault Cannons and Cyclone missle systems.  These Armored suits must never be left on the field of battle.  Armed with some of the most rare weapons in the chapter armory, these behemoths offer sage advice and bring their powerful weapons to protect their living brothers.

As the centuries pass, the mental acuity of a Contemptor-interred heroe begins to drift into the surreal.  No longer able to focus on the myriad tasks of heavy fire support and leadership, these venerable heroes easily slip into the darkness of bloodlust.  Rushing headfirst into battle, their powerclaws long to grasp the flesh of their enemies and the hidden plasma system in each arm fires blasts of superheated death at their enemies, slaying metal and flesh with equal ease.

Questionable geneseed and untold centuries can bring those confined to a Contemptor system into dark madness.  Chainfists mix with Power claws and only the mad rush toward a enemy can sate their easily provoked rage.  Gore soaks the armored form of these monsters as they rampage through their enemies, uncaring if their victim is friend or foe.  Eventual exhaustion is their sole release from madness.  

864402_md-.JPG

Edited by airinhere

There is a satisfaction to finishing a group of models.  The finishing touches, basing completed, paint applied around the edge of the base.  Everything dried and photographed and then placed carefully in the display case awaiting the chance to be fielded as part of an army.  I look at so many of the threads here and on other sites and see the amazing painting skills of some of the artists posting there.  I envby their technical skill, but there is a pride in having done the work myself and watching my army develop over time and take on a style all my own.  Apparently I love worn out, rusty armor and blood splattered warriors.  

Honored Brothers Laoch are entrusted with rare Kheres Assault Cannons.  These two warriors are still vital and energetic warriors.  Entombed in ice for centuries at a time, these mighty hunters wield the fury of ancients and are relentless in their pursuit of their prey.  Slowly their minds lose focus and rage will eventually fill their hearts.  When that time comes, their weapons will be replaced with Power fist and Chainfists to limit the range that their fury can reach.

Sgt Harkins  Bears a Cyclone missle system and dual Kheres.  Purity seals cover his mighty armor and skulls from the Badabb conflict adorn his restraint chains.  Each skull taken from a Secessionist leader.  Sgt Harkins belief in virtue and duty holds his focus through the ages. 

Sgt kaedes was interred as an honour after the suffering critical injuries holding back a wave of Orks led by a vicious Warboss named Warzag.  Though dealt a nearly fatal blow, Sgt Kaedes struck back and slew the massive ork and its dried skull adorns his breastplate.  Red Exile markings point to his veteran status even before his interment.

Driven to the edge of insanity, Malthusas has long ago been upgraded with dual chainfists that break the unnerving silence as this elder Carcharodon Astra throws himself deep into enemy forces.  A cooling duct runs over his right shoulder to compensate for the strain put on the Contemptors energy shields.

864403_md-.JPG

Ancient Davros has served as a mentor aand sage beyond the memory of any living member of Predation Fleet Mako.  A chainfist hides a melta gun secreted in his right arm.  The skulls hanging across his chest once belonged to the leaders of worlds hidden for eons from the Imperial Truth.  Grizzly reminders of the folly of refusing the welcoming embrace of the Emperor.

Edited by airinhere

I see your point.  For some reason I had it in my head that both were spelled the same way.  

Back to the models, Hastalis model Heavy weapon systems march across a field of Tyranid spores.  Armed with hurricane bolters and Grav cannons, these light dreadnought models were found in an ancient spacehulk perfectly stored in the cargo hold of a crushed PanOceanic starcraft of ancient design.  

Two designs were found in those sealed storage containers.  Three Hastalis designated systems with four hardpoints to mount weapons were discovered. Equiped with integrated neural interfaces allowing operators a very intimate experience operating these machines.

An additional, larger unit was found stored in the same container labeled  Xiphodon.  Equiped with an additional two heavy weapon mounts, this system allowed networked integration with the other three sytems and had expanded communications array.

The Carcharodon of Predation Fleet Mako have often used Dreadnought systems to keep their brother marines fighting long past the point that injury would have rendered them invalid.  Ranging far from the familiar space of the Imperium, these void hardened warriors must take every option to maintain their fighting force.  Assignment to the Hastalis armored units became an honour that brothers actively sought.  The advanced auto senses these units possesed being so far advanced over the standard Imperial level tech used for other dreadnought systems.

Edited by airinhere

• 1 month later...

I did go a bit overboard with the contemptors, but I would argue that chainswords are a vital part of the Carcharodons and so adding them to a close combat Contemptor fits.  (It was fun to model anyways.)

Sometime last night, I got a wild hair to see how many models I actually have painted so far and I have to admit I might have a problem.  After taking the group photo, I realize I have already ordered more and will soon have a small fleet of Rhino's and Drop Pods to add.  I shall soon need bigger display cases to house all these models.

Predation Fleet Mako.  Carcharodon Splinter Fleet currently assigned to Tyranid interdiction role in Segmentum Ultima.

865055_md-Carcharodon%2C%20Space%20Shark

865289_md-.JPG

Edited by airinhere

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I think I had a few Ogryn sized skulls mixed in my pile of skulls.  Now I find Green Stuff World has bags of Ork skulls.   I would have loved to get some of those to add to the mix.  I do enjoy adding aa assortment of skulls to the rank and file of my army.  

I have recieved my Rhinoes and two land speeders for my scouts.  I am converting cheap two seater land speeders to make them into land speeder storm variants.  The first models are already soaking in Simple Green to remove the paint already on them.

Last weekend, I decided to work up some terrain for my upcoming battle board.  I used old CD's to make modular Jungle terain that I could use to build a variety of features with.  I am about halfway through painting them, but the base coats are already applied.

I used Lotus seed pods to make alien trees that can also double as possible Tyranid spawn sites.  I plan to paint them to match my horde of Tyranids and will even make some "emerging" Gaunt and Ripper models crawling out of the openings.  My plan is to make them removeable so I can use the seed pods with or without the Tyranid army.

869746_md-.JPG

There are three main colors of plant I want to end up with.  The pinkish red plants will have a bright, yellow fade to the tips of each leaf.  The pink color will still be obvious and the length of the stem should stay that color.

The various fern like growths will be a dark green with a handfull of white shink highlights to reinforce their pine tree like appearance.  

The remaining upright plants with the broad, short leaves will also lean towards a yellowish color, but they will retain the light green stem and will have a heavy amount of dark, brown flocking filling the gaps between each plant.

869744_md-.JPG

Growing out from under each of the seed pods, reddish tipped fern like leaves will help frame the seed pods and tie them into the green and red color of the vile Tyranids I have collected.  The green basecoat will remain on the deepest parts of the leaves and the stem reaching under each seed pod.

869745_md-.JPG

• 4 months later...

Over the Summer, I managed to get my hands on transportation for all my Carcharodon forces.   As the Tourist season slows for September, I expect I shall get a chance to paint my new horde of transports as well as the unpainted portion of my BFG fleet.

I was gutted to find that Photobucket had ruined my threads and restricted the images I had entrusted to them.  I spent all evening going through and reuploading images.  And I still have to fix my other threads.  Is there any confirmed site to use that people are confident will NOT betray the trust imparted upon them?

Is there any confirmed site to use that people are confident will NOT betray the trust imparted upon them?

*cough, Bolter and Chainsword, * cough