Blood Angels Battle Company Formation

Fahlnor

I'm going to build one of these.  It's my personal hobby challenge for 2015.

I'm curious what other people's thoughts are re: builds, load-outs, all that jazz?  I'd love, if possible, to make an actual viable army out of the formation.

I think it's going to be a minimum of 3,000 points.  How would you gear the various units?

I'd probably add a few whistles and bells to the army - some mechanised support, some Scout Squads, some elite units to back them up.

I'd absolutely love to know if you think this is viable and, if so, how you'd do it!

Very viable - I'm making the entire 4th company myself!

I doubt the entire thing will ever be used in battle too often, but it's nice to have the range of units.

I'd pick a mix of weaponry for tactical squads, and consider magnetising all your sergeants!

I think it depends on what you mean by viable. It's unlikely to be able to consistently beat a top tier tournament list, but I don't think that it has to be awful. I'm guessing that you're doing this for fluff reasons? IMO, the most competitive build would be multiple small units, leaving the squads at their minimum size, but then you only have half of a company. Go the whole hog and take everyone to ten man. Drop pods are probably your best bet, though rhinos could work.

Dallo

I am currently doing the 5th company of Angels Encarmine.

According with tactical squads, I thought about using all different heavy and special weapons, thus can play fewer points and have options to choose almost any config. I use the same criteria for sergeants and devastators. For seventh and eighth assault squads, I use one squad of 4 bikes with three attack bikes, so we could use it with different styles, and another with 10 assault marines with jump packs.

Actually I have painted six squads over the ten that the formation need, plus the command squad, death company and some support from companies 1st and 10th (Sternguard veterans, vanguard veterans, terminators and scouts).

Good luck with your challege!!!!

I'm one tactical squad away from completing my Blood Angels 3rd Company - I've got a fair mix of weaponry in the Tactical Squads so far, this last one will have to have some grav in it to tick that box, I have a range of sarges with different loadouts and my devs are not really legal as I have more heavy weapopns than I should have to give me options but I don't think I'll ever really field the whole lot together anyway.

It has been a fun project and then only downside is that my painting (and patience) has improved considerably since I started and now I want to go back and redo a couple of the earlier tac squads and the command squad but at least I'll have something to do come the next ETL!

Actually the real downside is that I will need to add in at least three more transports/drop pods if I ever wanted to really play them and I hate buying/assembling and painting drop pods :(

Then I've got to finish my 1st Company but that is another story...

Good luck :)

Captain JP, Chaplain JP, Command squad JP (all these guys run together)

6 Full Tactical squads (2 PC/PG, 2 MM, MG, 2 LC, GG, all in DP All SGT. have Power swords and matching pistol of the squad special weapon)

2 Full Assault squads (1 all hand flamers 4 total in a DP, 1 all melta 4 total in a DP)

2 Full Devastater squads (all LC CCW and BP on SGT. both in DP)

I add in 2 10 man squads of JP DC for support reasons with a mixed bag of hammers, power weapons, and other cool things.

Also throw in a Full squad of Bikes with GG and an Attack-bike with MM

Then add a Sicaran with LC and LoG: SoM

And lastly my Knight Paladin as a decoy unit.

Points are about 4300. Its may not be viable it sure is still very cool to see 100+ SM on the field and at the end its very cool to see such a huge dead pile.

*As of last week I just finished getting all the models for this Company now I just have to assemble and paint them all.

My thought process so far has been to say my Assault Squads will likely max out on melta as the most compatible special weapon and my Tactical Squads will probably load up on flamers, plasma and grav weapons. That means my Devastators will have to fill the anti-flyer role with missile launchers and flakk missiles.

Regular Dreadnought will run double twin-linked autocannons and the Furioso will take frag cannon and heavy flamer.

I anticipate maybe seven Drop Pods (three Tactical Squads, both Dreadnoughts and both Devastators) and three Razorbacks (the remaining three Tactical Squads). That would give me the three Tactical Squads and the Furioso coming down turn one.

I want to add First Company and Tenth Company support, along with some Sanguinary Guard, a Librarian, two or three Sanguinary Priests and a supporting cast of vehicles, if possible.

This is becoming a huge project, but still my first challenge is just to write the army list!

Personally this part is the best, when you are full of enthuiasm and everything seems so good on paper.  If I could offer a little advice it'd be to set fun rewards into the schedule but make sure to grind the more boring stuff as well.  It sucks looking at a half finished project six months after you started it and realise you coudl use much of it in smaller point games or that everyone will be walking everywhere because you didn't do any of your transports yet (guilty as charged).

I do something like

Assemble and paint 1 10 man Tac Squad, and 1 Drop Pod or Razorback.

Then paint a dreadnought and pod.

Then another Tac squad and transport

Then paint an Assault Squad

Then paint the Command Squad

etc etc, otherwise you go mad.

It's just occurred to me that relying on Assault Squads for melta will likely mean my tank-busters won't be in range until turns 2 or 3. Would I be better with flamers on the Assault Squads and melta/combi-melta on the Tactical Squads?

run one or 2 units of assault marines with dual meltaguns and combimelta, in drop pods. 3 meltas in the rear or side of any vehicle should see it ruined or greatly deminished performance.

Regarding the loadout, Im myself planning on getting, for tacticals:

2 units with heavy flamer, flamer, 2 * handflamer/combiflamer

2 units with plasma, missile launcher

2 units with gravgun, combigrav 

4 rhino/razorbacks and a total of 6 pods.

My thought process so far has been to say my Assault Squads will likely max out on melta as the most compatible special weapon and my Tactical Squads will probably load up on flamers, plasma and grav weapons. That means my Devastators will have to fill the anti-flyer role with missile launchers and flakk missiles.

I very, very rarely tell someone not to take an option, but 25 (or is it 30?) pts for a weapon that is S7 AP4 versus flyers isn't great for me, for essentially 3 hits on a flyer (1 hit at BS5, 2 hits from 3 shots at BS4).

You could easily spend those points on an aegis defence line and quad gun (100pts) to give your devs 4+ cover and 4S7AP4 twin linked interceptor shots.

I very, very rarely tell someone not to take an option, but 25 (or is it 30?) pts for a weapon that is S7 AP4 versus flyers isn't great for me, for essentially 3 hits on a flyer (1 hit at BS5, 2 hits from 3 shots at BS4).

You could easily spend those points on an aegis defence line and quad gun (100pts) to give your devs 4+ cover and 4S7AP4 twin linked interceptor shots.

I was actually planning on fortifications in addition to the flakk missiles. I realise that the Devastator Squad isn't the best solution, but within the confines of the Blood Angels Company, it seems to be one of the better options. Adding an Aegis Defence Line boosts that significantly. Also, don't forget that the missiles are still highly viable against a wide range of ground targets.

I guess my main question here is, if not missile launchers, then what? Anti-tank and anti-infantry are largely covered elsewhere. Anti-air hasn't really got any other options than the Devastators.

Read through that thread a while back, actually. Didn't really see much of a consensus, though it seems a majority of people were maybe moving away from missile launchers towards plasma and lascannons?

Question: if I used the Devastators for something other than anti-air missile launchers manning anti-air Aegis Defence Lines, where would you suggest the anti-air support comes into my list?

I'm currently facing a challenge to fit this army into 3,000 points. That's purely the Company itself; not even any of the extra support units I'm planning. It just seems that at 3,000 points, it would be incredibly poor planning to not expect to face any flyers....

run one or 2 units of assault marines with dual meltaguns and combimelta, in drop pods. 3 meltas in the rear or side of any vehicle should see it ruined or greatly deminished performance.

I definitely considered putting the Assault Marines into Drop Pods.

I guess I was just thinking it would be nice to equip them as actual Assault Marines with jump packs.  Maybe that's a luxury I can't afford in this list?

How many melta units do you think it's necessary to field in 3,000 points?  Bearing in mind I could drop Tactical Squads with dual-melta plus heavy flamer, would I really need the two Assault Squads joining in the fun?

Giving a unit both melta and flamer imo is a waste. Regardless of what you fire at, 1 weapon is illequipped.

In a 3k army Id roll on 3-4 dedicated melta groups.

Of course you can have some of em with jumppacks. Better for mid/endgame objective holding. Guessing 2 ×10 marines with dual special weapons and double pistols on sarge could work just fine

Giving a unit both melta and flamer imo is a waste. Regardless of what you fire at, 1 weapon is illequipped.

Therein lies the beauty of the combat-squad, brother!

Drop Pod arrives, Tactical Squad dutifully troops out looking for trouble, promptly splits into two squads and gains full benefit of both heavy flamer and melta weapons.  Bahahaha!

:)

easier to kill to, and single melta never does anything in my experience... Id rather have 20 marines parked in the enemy rearend, toting a total of 3 meltas(one combimelta) 4 flamers and loads of bolters and bolt pistols, along with the dual pods you can park on objectives. If he doesnt kill those units of they will run rampage through his army, picking of units of choice.

Read through that thread a while back, actually. Didn't really see much of a consensus, though it seems a majority of people were maybe moving away from missile launchers towards plasma and lascannons?

That's pretty much the definition of a consensus biggrin.png

As with last edition, BA's most effective anti air is the stormraven. If you're looking atoptimising your army for tourneys and such at 3000pts, then you should be looking at multiple detachments and 2 ravens to dominate the air.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, folks.  After nearly a fortnight of periodically coming back to look at this project and trying to create an actual army list, this is what I've come up with!:

Captain
 - Artificer armour
 - Storm shield
 - Valour's Edge
 - The Veritas Vitae

Chaplain
 - Jump pack

Command Squad
 - Company standard
 - 2 meltaguns
 - Razorback
 - Twin-linked lascannon

8-man Death Company
 - Jump packs
 - Power fist
 - 2 power swords

Dreadnought
 - 2 twin-linked autocannons
 - Drop Pod

Furioso Dreadnought
 - Frag cannon
 - Heavy flamer
 - Drop Pod

10-man Tactical Squad
 - Heavy flamer
 - Flamer
 - Combi-flamer
 - Drop Pod

10-man Tactical Squad
 - Heavy flamer
 - Meltagun
 - Combi-melta
 - Drop Pod

10-man Tactical Squad
 - Heavy flamer
 - Meltagun
 - Combi-melta
 - Drop Pod

10-man Tactical Squad
 - Heavy bolter
 - Plasma gun
 - Combi-plasma
 - Rhino

10-man Tactical Squad
 - Multi-melta
 - Plasma gun
 - Combi-plasma
 - Rhino

10-man Tactical Squad
 - Plasma cannon
 - Grav-gun
 - Combi-grav
 - Rhino

10-man Assault Squad
 - Dual lightning claws
 - 2 meltaguns
 - Melta bombs

10-man Assault Squad
 - Thunder hammer
 - Combat shield
 - 2 meltaguns

5-man Devastator Squad
 - 4 multi-meltas

5-man Devastator Squad
 - 4 heavy bolters

- Total: 2,999

Now, this isn't an optimal army list.  It's probably not going to be the most competitive list ever written, but it is an entire Blood Angels Company and it does fit within 3,000 points!

I would thoroughly love any feedback you have to offer.  Remember: this was never going to be about writing the most effective army list.  At this stage, it was about creating a reasonably fluffy viable army that could play 3,000 point games.

My next stage would be adding support elements (Scouts, Veterans, Sanguinary Guard, Sanguinary Priests, Stormravens) and super heavy allies (Fellblade, Imperial Knights) and fortifications, potentially aiming for a total of 5,000 points and an actual, viable army.

With that in mind, please give me your thoughts on what I have so far!

I was actually planning on fortifications in addition to the flakk missiles. I realise that the Devastator Squad isn't the best solution, but within the confines of the Blood Angels Company, it seems to be one of the better options. Adding an Aegis Defence Line boosts that significantly. Also, don't forget that the missiles are still highly viable against a wide range of ground targets.

I guess my main question here is, if not missile launchers, then what? Anti-tank and anti-infantry are largely covered elsewhere. Anti-air hasn't really got any other options than the Devastators.

Are Devastator squads with lascannons good against air?

Are Devastator squads with lascannons good against air?

The difficulty is in hitting stuff.  Four lascannons would have about a 52% chance of hitting a flyer at least once.  Eight lascannons have about a 78% chance to hit a flyer at least once.

It's not really ideal....

I do absolutely love lascannons.  They're not as cool as heavy bolters, but I wouldn't mind putting them in the list.  Question is, though: what do you remove to make way for them?

Archived