The Ending of "The Crimson Fist" [SPOILERS]

Operative

Hello Everyone

Just one short question, at the end of "The Crimson Fist" when the Imperial Fist fleet ends up heading to Ultramar.

Has this been followed up, because I read "The Unremembered Empire" but I don't seem to remember any mention of Captain Pollux or his fleet. Please correct me if I am wrong.

All I want to know is the Novel it is followed up in (if any) not the following plot, as to avoid spoilers

Thanks!

Hello Everyone

Just one short question, at the end of "The Crimson Fist" when the Imperial Fist fleet ends up heading to Ultramar.

Has this been followed up, because I read "The Unremembered Empire" but I don't seem to remember any mention of Captain Pollux or his fleet. Please correct me if I am wrong.

All I want to know is the Novel it is followed up in (if any) not the following plot, as to avoid spoilers

Thanks!

Yes, Polux appears in the Unremembered Empire.

WLK

Pllux was pretty cool in _Unremembered Empire_. I try my best to forget about "Crimson Fist." The IF retreat at the end of the Battle of Phall was just so unrealistically foolish I can't take any of the rest of the story seriously.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I do remember now, it was probably down to me reading Unremembered Empire before reading "The Crimson Fist" (I hadn't read any of the novels that linked into Unremembered Empire at the time of reading it).

Pllux was pretty cool in _Unremembered Empire_. I try my best to forget about "Crimson Fist." The IF retreat at the end of the Battle of Phall was just so unrealistically foolish I can't take any of the rest of the story seriously.

Really, I didn't think the retreat was that bad. I do, however, question the logic of boarding a Primarks flagship when you could just as easily have torpedoed her.

Really, I didn't think the retreat was that bad. I do, however, question the logic of boarding a Primarks flagship when you could just as easily have torpedoed her.

Because a figure such as a Primarch should never be counted as dead unless you actually have the corpse right there in front of you to prod at, empty your bladder on, kick, spit on, or any other thing you may wish to do to it. Otherwise, there is every danger that said Primarch is still running around and evaded your attempts to kill them at a distance.

Because a figure such as a Primarch should never be counted as dead unless you actually have the corpse right there in front of you to prod at, empty your bladder on, kick, spit on, or any other thing you may wish to do to it. Otherwise, there is every danger that said Primarch is still running around and evaded your attempts to kill them at a distance.

Oh I know but did they really think a few Terminators could best a primarch plus whatever guards he might have had. I still think statistically scuttling the ship was more likely to get the job done.

I think perhaps:

a) The assault craft were smaller than torpedoes and could have made it through the defenses.

or

b) The flagship was too large to be destroyed by the number of torpedos that could peirce its defense, but Terminators might conceivably have assasinated the Perturabo.

or

3) Plothammer. 

Plus, a boarding force of IF lets us play games with our Marine models on a cool space corridor board.  A torpedo action would not.

As I recall the attack was to be followed up with additional waves but that didn't happen due to the recall. Pulling out in such a way that they not only gave up destroying their enemy but also took significantly higher and unneeded losses was the height of stupidity to serve honor. Maybe if they had delayed leaving the warp storms MAY HAVE prevented them from leaving but they may not have too.

What's certain is that by pulling out the way they did they seized defeat from the jaws of victory, lost a lot of ships and brothers that won't then be around for the final defense of Terra and lost a chance to eradicate one of the traitor primarchs and his chapter.

I always thought the attack was one more of pride/spite, than any serious attempt to kill off the Primarch. 

at best the attack momentarily distracted the intelligence directing the IW efforts...allowing more IF ships to break out.

WLK

Honestly, I had never considered this angle but it does make more sense. Taking a Primarchs intelect from the battlefield even for a short time is a lot more stratigically viable. I think just cause that section is written from Tyr's (I believe that's the captains name) perspective I read it more as he actually felt like the attack could work rather than it being a manuver for the greater good. As a Templar I, of course, see the value of zeal but even Sigismund wouldn't be daring [see:stupid] enough to attack a Primarch on his own bridge.

If the probability of killing a primarch with an explosion is low, the probability of killing a primarch with some terminators is even lower...

Archived