Black_out's WIP Log....custodes incoming!

Black_out

Blue tack is your friend when assembly a Contemptor to try out various poses.  Once you get something you like, you can mark the joints with a sharpie in a few places with lines that go onto the limb and the body so you can get that alignment back again when you glue.  If you're not confident in the glue holding the joint, once you have it glued, you can drill in and pin through the joint and then fill in the hole.

Also, I see you're in my neck of the woods.  And nice XD!

Blue tack is your friend when assembly a Contemptor to try out various poses.  Once you get something you like, you can mark the joints with a sharpie in a few places with lines that go onto the limb and the body so you can get that alignment back again when you glue.  If you're not confident in the glue holding the joint, once you have it glued, you can drill in and pin through the joint and then fill in the hole.

Also, I see you're in my neck of the woods.  And nice XD!

Thanks for the advice I'll give it a shot! You're in the Philadelphia area as well?

Got more assembly done over the weekend. Putting together the Achillus was a pain in the :cuss: the arms are like 5 pieces and fiddly as can be. The Galatus by comparison was a dream lol. The picture I took of the galatus this morning was blurry so I'll take a better one after work.

Here's the Achillus for now.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/tom-asaurusrex/20170320_061223_zpsyrqtrrjz.jpg

So after some brainstorming and heavy influence by the one and only Augustus b'raass I've decided I'd like to have names for my custodes models. I find this very intriguing for several reasons. First, according to Master of Mankind, they're all named after Gods or some form of mythological hero/king-I absolutely love this bit of fluff. The second is that, being custodes, we've seen mention how they earn honor names of a sort that can extend their titles to incredible lengths!

This is where you wonderful folks come in! I'd love the help of the community in coming up with creative names for the models featured in this army. I ask only that you keep to the slightly restrictive criteria listed above for the first names, otherwise full creative freedom is in your hands. Please feel free to add any fluff you may think of, I'd love to incorporate it!

I'll post a list of models as they continue to be assembled so that they can be named accordingly and will be updating the OP to include all named models.

I'm reserving the right for Augustus to name 1 of the 2 dreadnoughts I've built along with a custodian as he was ever so kind to allow me to name 2 of his minis in the past.

As it sits, I currently have assembled and to be named:

Contemptor Achillus

Contemptor Galatus

Coronus Grav-transport

Guardian squad #1

Custodian #1 with guardian spear

Vexilla bearer with shield (soon to be sentinel warblade)

Custodian with guardian spear

Guardian squad #2

Custodian #1 with guardian spear

Custodian #2 with guardian spear

Custodian #3 with guardian spear

There are plans for at least one unit of Hataeron and a unit of Sentinels as well.

Pictures will be forthcoming once I get home after work!

And here are the photos.

Contemptor Galatus

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/tom-asaurusrex/20170320_164800_zps7dj50fdp.jpg

Custodian #1 squad #1

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/tom-asaurusrex/20170320_164817_zpsorbkltzb.jpg

Vexilla with shield squad #1

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/tom-asaurusrex/20170320_164834_zps7neyo7yu.jpg

Custodian with guardian spear #2 squad #1

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/tom-asaurusrex/20170320_164930_zps7fdvemev.jpg

Custodian with guardian spear #1 squad #2

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/tom-asaurusrex/20170320_164943_zpstyqa3d5j.jpg

Custodian with guardian spear #2 squad #2

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/tom-asaurusrex/20170320_165010_zpsccjmueej.jpg

Need to assemble custodian with spear #3 for squad #2 still

*AAAAAAARP* (sound that you make when you're relearning how to breath after having been hit in the plexus)

Dude! Great idea and what an honour to be able to name ! I'm particularly stoked to get to name your contemptor - because as you know those are my fave models by far!

OK here goes - I know that Custodes gain names the more campaigns, feats, deeds, or ordeals they have survived. Hence, the contemptor sure needs a long one!

Contemptor Achilles: Shamash Utu the Rebirthed, Elimelech Hanlibol Ashdagra Târgovis Adud-ihi Augustis Nishimeg Valeriu Raz-Agogh Gemzihe Konstatinis Jahanuh Lalh Dehzih Anan Fernid Baskivoh Had-Bahar Intibillus Wallakia Kantu Bohzer-var-Daz Khoobi Asterdl Ur-Shulgi Vad ++Further names redacted || Adept Level 96/AlphaIX Required++

Custodes:  Nusku, Alhad Tepeșcu Ninkasi Shulmannu Basarabi Laiotan Dolhir Hunyadi Vykoshti Radu Alamud Ghivran Dalaal Izim Ur-Baal

Good enough?

*AAAAAAARP* (sound that you make when you're relearning how to breath after having been hit in the plexus)

Dude! Great idea and what an honour to be able to name ! I'm particularly stoked to get to name your contemptor - because as you know those are my fave models by far!

OK here goes - I know that Custodes gain names the more campaigns, feats, deeds, or ordeals they have survived. Hence, the contemptor sure needs a long one!

Contemptor Achilles: Shamash Utu the Rebirthed, Elimelech Hanlibol Ashdagra Târgovis Adud-ihi Augustis Nishimeg Valeriu Raz-Agogh Gemzihe Konstatinis Jahanuh Lalh Dehzih Anan Fernid Baskivoh Had-Bahar Intibillus Wallakia Kantu Bohzer-var-Daz Khoobi Asterdl Ur-Shulgi Vad ++ Further names redacted || Adept Level 96/AlphaIX Required ++

Custodes:  Nusku, Alhad Tepeșcu Ninkasi Shulmannu Basarabi Laiotan Dolhir Hunyadi Vykoshti Radu Alamud Ghivran Dalaal Izim Ur-Baal

Good enough?

YES!! This is exactly the type of response I was looking for!!! Did you have any particular fluff you'd like incorporated?

Well, I haven't read any of the fluff regarding the Custodes, apart from that one single short story from the first HH novel that had several stories in it, and the very basic stuff: they're guardians of the Emperor and Terra, and they have really long names. My local store manager also revealed that Roboute Guilliman -when he comes back to Terra after having been awakened by D17 and the Ynarri- was pretty pissed off at them for having done jack-all of significance in the last ten millennia. So there's that. I guess you could take hints from their names? The contemptor is named after Shamash/Utu, the Mesopotamian Sun God and Arbiter of Justice, and he has a bunch of names that I made up myself mostly - which took some effort. I then ran out of steam for the Custode, so he is named after Nusku, a Babylonian minor god of Lightning and Fire and a couple other gods, places, and fictional/historical characters, from which I hope you can figure out that he likes beer and is pretty bloodthirsty. :wink:

Well, I haven't read any of the fluff regarding the Custodes, apart from that one single short story from the first HH novel that had several stories in it, and the very basic stuff: they're guardians of the Emperor and Terra, and they have really long names. My local store manager also revealed that Roboute Guilliman -when he comes back to Terra after having been awakened by D17 and the Ynarri- was pretty pissed off at them for having done jack-all of significance in the last ten millennia. So there's that. I guess you could take hints from their names? The contemptor is named after Shamash/Utu, the Mesopotamian Sun God and Arbiter of Justice, and he has a bunch of names that I made up myself mostly - which took some effort. I then ran out of steam for the Custode, so he is named after Nusku, a Babylonian minor god of Lightning and Fire and a couple other gods, places, and fictional/historical characters, from which I hope you can figure out that he likes beer and is pretty bloodthirsty. ;)

In that case I highly, highly recommend Master of Mankind. A great read with loads of info on the custodes, their creation, and how they operate. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Gratefully this is a 30k force so they can tell Girlyman to kick rocks! Really can't thank you enough for putting some thought into this and hopefully the others will join in!

What color are you going to use for all that gold?

I've got two test Custodes on my bench.  I used Alclad gold lacquer for an ultra-fresh-off-the-showroom-floor shine on the one and am going to go for a more muted and worn gold for the other.  Always want to see other people's ideas of Custodes gold, especially on those big vehicles and dreads.

What color are you going to use for all that gold?

I've got two test Custodes on my bench.  I used Alclad gold lacquer for an ultra-fresh-off-the-showroom-floor shine on the one and am going to go for a more muted and worn gold for the other.  Always want to see other people's ideas of Custodes gold, especially on those big vehicles and dreads.

I actually invested in a can of GW retributor armor spray would I plan on basecoating everything with that first, then probably a fleshshade wash for a rose gold color with lighter gold and silver highlights.

Do you have a thread somewhere I can see yours in??

So I just got my hands on inferno and realized I botched up my model holding the Vexilla by giving him the one item he can't equip, a praesidium shield. Now I need to figure out how I can swap it for a sentinel warblade.

Also, does anyone have ideas on how to kit out a Hataeron Guard unit or how large the unit should be? I was thinking 3-5 strong with at least one paragon blade for challenges and at least one solerite gauntlet for dealing with armor.

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of posts, life has ever been busy. I managed to finish up all the bases for the units I have thus far, with the exception of a base for the Coronus.

I tried for something that's reminiscent of the Imperial Palace and I'm pretty happy with the result. A lot of what I did was all new to me. Between the faux marble, the verdigris over bronze, my first time using weathering pigments etc I'm very proud of these.

Any and all input is appreciated!

Next up I'll actually be putting paint on the minis themselves. Shamash Utu the Rebirthed first amongst them perhaps :-) thanks for looking!

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/tom-asaurusrex/20170406_211709_zpsz98xpdqj.jpg

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/tom-asaurusrex/20170406_211741_zps1gt2hgaw.jpg

Those bases are glorious... 

It's fiddly, but possible to put a warblade on a vexilla holder, I cut up a spare guardian spear for mine, like so.

http://i.imgur.com/ZDglenJ.jpg

Name for one of your Custodes:

Tarchon Haphaestus Mikael Enlil Karmanor Perun Artur Ruaumoko Fu-hsi Herne Sohrab Karna Diarmurd Rustam Guan-Yu Viracocha Tangaroa Arjuna

Those bases are glorious... 

It's fiddly, but possible to put a warblade on a vexilla holder, I cut up a spare guardian spear for mine, like so.

*snip*

Name for one of your Custodes:

Tarchon Haphaestus Mikael Enlil Karmanor Perun Artur Ruaumoko Fu-hsi Herne Sohrab Karna Diarmurd Rustam Guan-Yu Viracocha Tangaroa Arjuna

Thanks for the compliment and for the tip on the warblade! And thanks again for the name it's suitably badass!!

I'm gonna watch and see how you do it, because I'm not all that happy with how it turned out, so if you manage it better expect it to get stolen.

Also, I know you said that you purchased the Ophion piece, but you wouldn't happen to know where the bits used for the arms and torso are from? I really like the spiked collar, shoulderpad, and left arm.

I'm gonna watch and see how you do it, because I'm not all that happy with how it turned out, so if you manage it better expect it to get stolen.

Also, I know you said that you purchased the Ophion piece, but you wouldn't happen to know where the bits used for the arms and torso are from? I really like the spiked collar, shoulderpad, and left arm.

Unfortunately I do not, but if you contact the Fenpyrian Forge page on Facebook he may be able to tell you.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys!! Just doing my annual fall/winter check-in before I dive back into the hobby with racing season all nut finished.

I'd post a photo or two of my recent works but unfortunately photobucket no longer seems to be a viable option. Any suggestions on a replacement would be appreciated!

Archived