Alexis Polux Imperial Fists 1500pts

Dusktiger

messing around with list ideas to decide what i want to buy for this army.  So far, i'm thinking of doing this:

Primary Detachment [imperial Fists] (43#, 1500 pts)

HQ
Alexis Polux (Infantry (Character); Void Hardened Power Armour; Iron Halo; Frag & Krak Grenades; Master-crafted Power Fist; Vigil Pattern Storm Shield; Combi-Meltagun; Hammer Blow; Independent Character; Legiones Astartes (Imperial Fists); Master of the Legion; Void Commander; Warlord; Master Tactician)

Troops
(15) Legion Breacher Siege Squad (Defensive Grenades; Infantry; Power Armour; Boarding Shield; Boltgun x12; Bolt Pistol x10; Frag & Krak Grenades; Volkite Charger x3; Legion Vexilla; Hardened Armour; Legiones Astartes (Imperial Fists))
(10) Legion Breacher Siege Squad (Defensive Grenades; Infantry; Power Armour; Boarding Shield; Boltgun x8; Bolt Pistol x10; Frag & Krak Grenades; Volkite Charger x2; Legion Vexilla; Hardened Armour; Legiones Astartes (Imperial Fists))

Elites
(3) Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (Artillery; Quad Heavy Bolter x3)
(3) Apothecarion Detachment (Character; Power Armour; Bolt Pistol; Chainsword; Frag & Krak Grenades; Narthecium; Volkite Charger x2; Legiones Astartes (Imperial Fists))
(10) Phalanx Warder Squad (Defensive Grenades; Infantry; Power Armour; Boarding Shield; Bolt Pistol x9; Frag & Krak Grenades; Power Axe x8; Flamer x2; Legion Vexilla; Hardened Armour; Legiones Astartes (Imperial Fists); Shield Wall)

Fast
Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer (Vehicle (Tank, Fast); Extra Armour; Neutron Laser Beam; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Heavy Bolter; Dangerous Reactor Core)

The apothecarion detachment will put one into each breacher squad (the ones with the volkites) and the last one will go with the Warders, along with Alex.
overall, i think it would be striking to see on the table; apart from the 3 apothecaries, everyone has a huge shield, and then you have a unique looking tank in the middle of it all.

Will you be running the RoW? Your list is pretty much built for it and it'd only buff the units present.

Phalanx warders are fast attack choices. They can be taken as troops ( fw havent clarified if compulsory or not) if you have the RoW.

Sicarian venator is heavy support.

Other than that, breachers arent looked upon all that well due to their rather prohibitive cost; you could nearly double or triple the amount if bodies in your list bu taking tac squads > breachers.

If you want to run them though, I aint going to say you cant. Just expect to have to put more thought and work into them to make them effective.

I also wouldnt run majority power axes on a Phalanx Warder squad since you'll be loosing out on some of their rules with unwieldy weapons ( +1ini when charged).

Also know that they can throw defensive grenades now after having had forgeworld clear it up in a query to them.

Highly consider adding in nuncio-voxii so that your mortar rapiers can draw Line of Sight from the equipped squads too.

i will be using the RoW, yes.  so i need the breachers as their my forced choice.  though lately i've been hearing talk that the Warders can also be used to fulfill that requirement.  and when Dorn is finally released, i'll be adding him to the army so both the warders and templars will be troops.

I want to try and take units for the army that capture the feel of how the legion behaved, so i want to take a nice mix of everything so it'll be a nice showcase for my display case when not in use.  Breachers, Warders, Templars, Heavy Bolter Rapiers, and whatever else suits their theme as well.  i'm thinking of making a tactical support squad of around 7 or so guys with Volkite Calivers.  I'd also like to buy all three characters when they're released.  Alex being my favorite of the three.

i was tinkering a bit more with the list and came up with something like this. This time using Pride of the Legion. so far as my troop choices go, i dont really care for most of the compulsory troops; especially regular tacticals.  i want this army to play and look differently than normal space marine lists, so that's why i chose guys with shields for my main force.  and as you can kind of tell, i like the volkite weapons and would like to pop them in where i can.

in so far as models i own right now, i have 5 breachers and another 10 on order, and i have 10 volkite culverins i was going to use as chargers because the chargers look too stubby to me. 

i also own 5 tartaros terminators, and enough shields, thunder hammers, and lightning claws for all 5, but haven't armed them yet so im flexible on how they should be done. i also have 4 storm bolters and a heavy flamer for that squad.

lastly, i own 5 cataphractii terminators with power swords and a plasma blaster.

so as far as the lists go, i'm fairly flexible right now on what i could take as a suggestion, since i havent decided what else to buy yet.

Primary Detachment [imperial Fists] (47#, 1485 pts)
Alexis Polux
(15) Breacher Siege Squad (Volkite Charger x3; Legion Vexilla; Nuncio-Vox)
         Legion Apothecary (Volkite Charger)
(5) Terminator Squad (Power Axe x4; Vigil Pattern Storm Shield x3; Heavy Flamer x1; Sergeant with Thunder Hammer; Vigil Pattern Storm Shield)

(5) Terminator Squad (Power Sword x5; Plasma Blaster; Deep Strike)

(3) Rapier Weapons Battery (Quad Heavy Bolters)
(15) Phalanx Warder Squad (Power Axe x2; Flamer x3; Legion Vexilla; Nuncio-Vox; Sergeant with Power Axe; Artificer Armour)
         Legion Apothecary

what do you think of going this way, slip?  any changes/additions?  and what would be good ideas to hit 1750, 2000, and 2250?

Honestly, since its swapped over to PotL, you could turn the 15 man breacher squad into another equivalent (points-wise) Warder Squad.

Oh, bonus points? Terminators can swap their combi-bolters out for Volkite Chargers too! VOLKITES!!!! Literally can't hate them. Martian Death Rays man...

Honestly, the terminators look sound - though I'd prefer the Cata Termies had Ap2 weapons for CC if possible. Unless your teleporting these (doubt it tongue.png) getting an Illastus Assault Cannon or Reaper Autocannon might be safer bets for this squad since they're S&P so you might as well shoot a maximum of times; something the AC's permit that the PB doesnt due to its 18" range.

I also had to remind myself this was a 1.5k point list; not the 2.5k+ I'm used to commenting on/building. Polux also saves you 15 points on Teleportation Transponders for one of the Terminator squads since he permits a single unit to Deepstrike even if it normally cant.

From here on out I'd focus on:

I tried to keep the theme you were going for central to any of these suggestions while also making them effective choices that would shore up any potential list weaknesses. Bonus is, none of them look hideous (Deredeo is rather subjective...) so they wont tarnish the display case.

1) Deredeo Dreadnought. 280 points fully kitted out (with armored ceramite). 60" S6 Ap3 Heavy 3 Missile Launcher that doesn't need LoS and an S8 Ap4 Heavy4 Sunder Autocannon + Skyfire/Interceptor if you dont move = things will die early, flyers and deepstrikers will have a bad time and you'll have a decent firebase.

2) Fire Raptor. Its a Fire Raptor. What more do you need?

3) 2 bare-bones Sicarians. 270 points all told, but they pump out a lot of shots and Ignore Jink. Consider giving them Armored Ceramite and Lascannons as points permit.

4) Transports. Mostly in the Form of Land Raider Phobos' or Spartans. Keep your precious safe.

5) Bulk out the Terminator Squads. Why not? Getting them both to 10 men with Teleportation Transponders will save you a ton of points on Vehicles. Add +7pts for each Combi-Bolter swapped into a Volkite Charger.

6) Seeker quasi-suicide squad. ~300-500 points depending on if you take a transport or not / max the squad out or not. They're a Glass Cannon MEQ choice that will erase pretty much anything you point it at when equipped accordingly; all taking either Combi-Plas/Flamer/Melta (only if you know there will be limited Armored Ceramite).

7) Predator Squadrons. Get a 3 shot Plasma Cannon without Gets Hot and have up to 3 in a Squadron for ~300 points. Pretty decent eraser unit too.

8) Dreadnought Talons. Contrary to 40k, our dreads (Contemptors, that is) don't suck. Make use of them. Consider loading them up with Kheres+DCCW with Grav or Plasma in the hand or 2xDCCW with dual Grav/Plasma. Only take above anti-air solutions if you know you wont be facing any.

9) Jetbikes. Run in 6-9 for 2/3 special weapons, squad wide melta bombs at the minimum.

10) More Rapiers? While I can see why you're going for Quad Heavy Bolters, the Graviton and Mortar Rapiers perform them, in my eyes.

11) 10 man Volkite Culverin Heavy Support Squad. 40 S6 Ap5 Deflagrate shots are nothing to scoff at. A 10 man unit having the potential to kill 80 MEQ/GEQ units is awesome.

Of the above, singular, options, the most expensive (points-wise) will the the Contemptor Talon, Seekers, HS Squad and Jetbikes. The rest will usually run you under 300 points. How valuable each suggestion is, is ultimately up to you and your playstyle, really, so I hope I helped narrow it down somewhat or at the very least point you in the right direction.

i love the deredeo dread and plan to eventually buy one.  not sure for which of my armies yet though.  the nice thing is the others that play 30k have zero flyers as they escaped to 30k to avoid them.  so i don't need to worry about AA in my local meta.  they also wouldn't expect the fire raptor and all snub it off as not being a good enough unit.  Strafing Run and IF's +1BS to the quad heavy bolters might make them rethink that, however.

i do like the sicaran model and would like to fit one in...taking them in a pair does sound good too....

fiddling around with it more, i could probably change it a bit and do this:

Primary Detachment [imperial Fists] (50#, 1983 pts)
Alexis Polux
(15) Breacher Siege Squad, (Volkite Charger x3; Legion Vexilla; Nuncio-Vox)
         Legion Apothecary, (Volkite Charger)
(5) Cataphractii Terminator Squad, (Teleportation Transponder; Volkite Charger x4; Plasma Blaster)
(5) Tartaros Terminator Squad, (Vigil Pattern Storm Shield x4; Heavy Flamer; Thunder Hammer)
(3) Rapier Weapons Battery, (Quad heavy Bolters)
(10) Phalanx Warder Squad, (Power Axe x3; Flamer x2; Legion Vexilla; Nuncio-Vox; Artificer Armour)
         Legion Apothecary
Fire Raptor Gunship
Sicaran Battle Tank
Sicaran Battle Tank

Only units under the effects of "Legion Astartes: Imperial FIsts" so Fire Raptor turrets dont get +1BS. And, in any case, the Reaper Autocannon Batteries are better than the HBs.

And yeah, that list looks like a solid base. Working off of that, just get transports and max out squad sizes if you dont want to over-complicate things when you increase the points limits. Though for more versatility out of your rapiers, I'd go with Quad Mortars or Graviton later on.

You mean that last one for 1983pts? Yea that's using pride of the legion to make the terminators troops and allow me to deep strike them. Walking terminators or paying for a 300pt transport doesn't appeal to me so I decided to try this rite of war instead. I rather like this last list as I look at it so I think this is what I'll aim to purchase this year

The troop choices you have made lend themselves towards Zone Mortalis or a point level higher than 1500pts. I run IF and at 1500 my list will have 2 full tactical squads, Rapiers, Predators, Contemptors and a Sicaran. I am one of the biggest supporters of Breachers but I don't relay field them unless I break 2000pts. a BS5, T5,  6++/5++ 20 man unit with stubborn (when in cover) isn't something to be taken lightly! Given the right special weapons and they are scary. As a plus Alexis Polox's rule that grants one unit Deep Strike supersedes the restrictions of the RoW so you still get that

Where does it say that Pollux's deep strike ability supersedes the stone gauntlet deep strike restriction? That is one of my hang ups in running Pollux with the ROW....

Its a question of RAI over RAW. RAI, he would supersede the RoW restrictions because it would seem silly for his singular ability to be completely negated when taken in such a list since he's more or less made for it [The RoW].

I think another email has been sent to FW about this - unsure on if its been answered or not yet.

Where does it say that Pollux's deep strike ability supersedes the stone gauntlet deep strike restriction? That is one of my hang ups in running Pollux with the ROW....

Its a question of RAI over RAW. RAI, he would supersede the RoW restrictions because it would seem silly for his singular ability to be completely negated when taken in such a list since he's more or less made for it [The RoW].

I think another email has been sent to FW about this - unsure on if its been answered or not yet.

It was answered and his rule supercedes the RoW restriction but I forget where in the B&C that I read that

I think he means that Pollux can't deep strike a squad of using the ROW

Yeah, I've been sleep-deprived-confused recently @_@_@_@_@_@_@

Disappointed that he doesnt override the RoW in that case.

Yep, that's what I figured. Seems to me that if it ain't in a rulebook or an FAQ, it might as well be a house rule: a good idea, thematic, fun, adds to the story, etc, but not the sort of bright-line rule that folks in general should use to build their lists and craft their strategies.

Makes me wonder about Warders as compulsory troops choices in Stone Gauntlet lists, too. But before you jump on me for bringing that one up, let me say that I'm not looking for a response from anybody; no, I'm just waiting for answers.

I liked your first list best, minus the Phalanx Warders. Bring terminators with storm shields in their stead, and bring the Stone Gauntlet. Also, drop the vexilla from the squad with Pollux because he can choose whether to pass or fail a morale check; who cares about re-rolls. Give the apothecaries artificer armor and power swords, because they're characters and may very well find themselves having to issue or accept a challenge. Same with your sergeants; they don't seem equipped at present.

Archived