Questions about how to paint salamanders

I’ve assembled a salamander army and now I need to paint it, but none of the tutorials around the web satisfies me very much. The kind of green that I want to achieve in fact is similar to the one used on Vulkan.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/DefaultFW/xlarge/vulkan2-trans.jpg

This kind of green has a weird and beautiful effect, like it’s pearlescent. Any idea how to obtain that kind of green?

Not sure how it's done on Vulkan there (although I suspect it uses the same principle), but I've found a nice recipe for a shiny rich green like the below;

WIPs30.jpg

Basically you use metallics and stick an ink on top to provide the colour. Basecoat in leadbelcher, do a heavy badab black wash, and then layer on another coat of leadbelcher to restore the shine before highlighting with mithril silver. Then all you need to do is cover the whole model in green ink; the ink is transparent so it preserves the shading and highlighting you've already done but gives a nice rich colour to the armour on top. Once you've done this it's best to seal the model before moving on to the other colours; sometimes inks can bleed through layers painted on top.

Not sure how it's done on Vulkan there (although I suspect it uses the same principle), but I've found a nice recipe for a shiny rich green like the below;

WIPs30.jpg

Basically you use metallics and stick an ink on top to provide the colour. Basecoat in leadbelcher, do a heavy badab black wash, and then layer on another coat of leadbelcher to restore the shine before highlighting with mithril silver. Then all you need to do is cover the whole model in green ink; the ink is transparent so it preserves the shading and highlighting you've already done but gives a nice rich colour to the armour on top. Once you've done this it's best to seal the model before moving on to the other colours; sometimes inks can bleed through layers painted on top.

That's a really amazing job right there! I'll surely try this scheme on some of my future salamanders, thanks :) I think maybe, but just maybe because I need to make some tests, I found another solution to the problem: today i went to my local shop and one of the owners told me that I need to basecoat in caliban green, then do the highlights in warpglow and in moot green. After that, he told me to use oil colours: one dark to cover al the armor, another one, lighter, to do those patterns you can see on the top of the legs for example. He said to rub a wet potato (yeah that's pretty weird XD) on the parts you want to paint with oil colours in order to make the oil painting stick to the model. Has anyone tried this before?

Archived