Dark Hunters?

Bulwyf

I just got an email from BL about this new Chapter and why they will be my "new favorite".

What is the obsession with Smurf blue for Loyal Chapters? This is not even an Ultrasmurf chapter. They are a White Scars Chapter. And, you know, would not the name "DARK Hunters" sorta lend itself to a black or very dark color scheme? I realize it is a reference to their probably hunter of all the dark evils of gribbly bits of Chaos but still. Why so much Smurf blue color scheme? Do Raven Guard own the only patent for black paint as a Loyal Chapter or something? laugh.png

I am thinking its more like "Night Lord Blue". In fact, the whole "night world" and "ambushes" mentioned in the promo material makes me think that we're about to see some Traitor-Style brutality with a Loyalist candy-coat. I know I'm going to buy the book. :)

Oh, and the Hammers of Dorn and Iron Hands also wear black, so the Raven Guard isn't all by themselves.

Blue is actually more rare than black (Dark Angels, Raven, Templar, Iron, Death Company, etc.).

While white is way more prevalent in HH.

Those ten thousand years of war muddy the armour somewhat...

Dark Hunters are an older and good Chapter. They're brutal guys permanently on a mission and have a unique coloration as well. They aren't smurfs, their colors are extremely dark midnight blue, similar to Night Lords, only more vibrant.

The Last Detail is good, I recommend it. One of the few Space Marine short stories that focuses on the human element.

It's also nice to see some consistency in the Black Library, the novel's by the same author, so there shouldn't be any whiplash in depiction.

Finnished both.

Was very pleased and actually quite suprised with how much I enjoyed both.

Were they AAA quality off the bat? 

No - but it was entertaining, it was building the bones of something important, and it took itself seriously. This is already above and beyond many of the Chapter X or Regiment Y authors.

I commend the author for his imagery - a father and a son unburying a fully plated space marine with their bare hands from the murk. They close atmosphere burn of a strike cruiser, which looks like a flying cathedral. The unplating of a marine whose armour no longer has power. The close quarter trampel of assualt marines inside of a titan. The miracle of the biology of a space marine - and how that in itself is as much of a character as anything else.

Along with the imagery, I like the direction he is taking the chapter - he touches on the creation, how they built up from 100 marines, how they slowly lost cultural ties with the Scars and gained their own. Kudos to how rough shape they are in, and how they overcome that hurrdle.

I wil be purchasing the Feb 6 full novel and look forward to seeing their fluff and characters expanded.

Only criticism is how liberally the author uses the word "Chaos", especially infront of humans who have little to no understanding of it. Just a nitpick, otherwise keep up the great writing!

It was supposed to go on preorder on Friday. It's not out until May or something.

They seem to have removed all trace of it from the website though. Hardback, MP3 and ebook product pages, and multiple blog posts (there were at least two - the "your new favourite Chapter" one and an interview with the author posted on Wednesday) are all 404s now. Ominous.

EDIT: The Blind King and The Last Details are gone too.

Apparently this might be due to a legal issue with the "Dark-Hunter" series in the sparkly vampire bull:cuss genre.

Any source, out of interest?

Similar topic in N&D, and this hadn't come up yet!

If true, they would just need to change the name of the series, but that might mean pulping the existing stock.

The author has the worst luck - one of his earlier trilogies is still in limbo after the US publisher refused to either print the final volume or relinquish the rights so Solaris could do it.

I know of the Dark Hunter series they are probably talking about. Its a fairly long series by Sherelyn Kennyon. Not bad reads actually but I agree all BL has to do is change the name of the series.

Archived