Imperial Guard - Pask w/Punisher

N00bZilla1001

I know everyones been saying that Pask is best used in a punisher and as your warlord, but wanted to run the numbers to see for myself. For Pask in a punisher with 2 side multi-meltas, hull lascannon, and a heavy stubber… assuming that the tank is your warlord and is 24 inches from the opponent (minimum distance in which all weapons can fire)

AVG Marines and Terminators Killed in one round of shooting:

MEQ Killed: ~9.78

TEQ Killed: ~ 5.92

AVG Glances Against Vehicle Armor

AV10: # Glances >>>>3

AV11: # Glances >>3

AV12: ~ 5.70 Glances

AV13: ~4.04 Glances

AV14: ~ 2.2 Glances

AVG Glances Against Flyers Armor

AV10: Glances >3

AV11: Glances >3

AV12: Glances >3

Soooo pretty much Pask is incredible against everything. Unless I calculated something incorrectly it seems pask can an average kill an entire 10-man squad of marines, a 5-man squad of terminators, or glance almost all 3HP AV10,11,12, or 13 vehicles/flyers to dead in one round of shooting. The 20 shot rending with preferred enemies is INCREDIBLE as on average out of 20 shots (with re-rolls of 1’s), there will be ~3.89 rending shots. While the strength of the Gatling Gun is only 5, with rending this ensures that AV10, AV11, AV12 Vehicles will take on average at least 3.89 glances each turn (5+6+D3>=12 for any value of the D3). This also insures that Pask will be able to take down almost any enemy flyer in a single turn (as snap shots require 6’s to hit). Obviously the difficulty with Pask is the short range (24”), however it seems that he will kill almost anything in one turn (except say AV14 like a landraider or monolith). Also, if one were able to position Pask such that he could shoot at the side armor (AV12) of an imperial knight that didn’t have its ion-shield active, he could potential deal ~6 glances, killing it in one turn! 

you forgot to compare that to a non-pask punisher and/or pask in a different variant (if he can)... At the moment all you've run is how good the 'best' pask set-up is, and confirmed that it is good. Is there a better way, according to the numbers?

Pask is a machine, but as Leonaides said it'd be better if you ran the same numbers for other variants for a true comparison. For example Pask is good in a Vanquisher and the Exterminator can be a good mount for him. Don't forget that he also comes with a mandatory squad mate which may be worth considering for your number crunching.

yeahhh theres so many factors when looking at template weapons sooo i didn't crunch the numbers. Pask has a good synergy with the Executioner because he gets to re-rolls any ones due to Preferred enemies. Because of this ends up that theres a small chance that he (or his squad-mate) will be glanced due to "gets hot". Also, 5 Plasma cannons should kill just about anything. Pask in an exterminator is good but since the exterminator cannon is already twin-linked I don't find it as effective. I think the best setup would be Pask using a punisher and his squad-mate using an Executioner. However, this doesn't take into account the range limitations of the weapons, your strategy, and all that other jazzzzz

Below are the number of AVG Glances for Pask firing either just the gatling cannon or exterminator cannon

AV10 

Punisher - 10.4

Exterminator - 3.26

AV11

Punisher - 7.45

Exterminator - 2.88

AV12

Punisher - 3.88

Exterminator - 2.37

AV13

Punisher - 2.59

Exterminator - 1.70

AV14

Punisher - 1.29

Exterminator - 0.59

I don't think you can mathhammer templates. you could try for absolute max number of figures that could be fit under the template, but that would be wishful thinking a whole lot of the time.

Blasts are easy. Against Infantry they will be placed to cover 3 models but only 1/3 of the scatter rolls will be hits. On top of this, only 16% of the misses will scatter low enough to still clip a model. So 1 hit per shot fired plus .09 from scatter or about 1.1 hits per shot fired.

Against single model, you are looking at 1/3 for hits plus the very small scatter. Round it off to 40% chance to hit the target or 0.4 hits per shots fired against IC.

Vehicles get the same 1/3 for hits, but the marker can scatter 3" and still clip the hull of most models. At BS 4 that's a 7 or less and at BS 3 that would be 6 or less. That means a BS 4 firer will hit a tanks about 70% of the time and a BS 3 firer will hit a vehicle around 60% of the time.

Anyway, when breaking out the Math Hammer™ I use these number to calculate the number of hits per shot with a blast weapon.

Archived