Night Lords 1750 Retro-fit

Brother Heinrich

Hey again everyone,

So my psychopath juices got flowing again after seeing the new awesome model for Sevatar, and I decided that after my Blood Angel project (or when I have time) I'm going to retro-fit my 40k Night Lords to make them 30k playable. I've always lamented how the chaos codex fails to represent the highly unique traits and abilities of the VIII Legion, 30k Night Lords however, don't have that problem.

I wanted to use a good amount of what I already have (obviously) but I'm not against buying a few new units to make it happen. Here is the list I have going right now:

HQ:

• Praetor - Artificer Armor, Jump Pack, Iron Halo, Paragon Blade, Trophies of Judgement, Melta Bombs - 180pts

Rite of War: Terror Assault

Elites:

• Legion Contemptor - Kheres Assault Cannon, Meltagun - 205pts

Troops:

• Terror Squad (8) - Headsman w/Artificer Armor, Nostraman Chainglaive & Meltabombs, 8x Volkite Chargers, Drop Pod - 270pts

• Terror Squad (8) - Headsman w/Artificer Armor, Nostraman Chainglaive & Meltabombs, 8x Volkite Chargers, Drop Pod - 270pts

Fast Attack:

• Night Raptor Squad (9) - Huntmaster w/Artificer Armor, 2x Lightning Claws & Meltabombs, 9x Nostraman Chainglaives - 345pts

Heavy Support:

• Fire Raptor Gunship - Autocannon Batteries - 210pts

Total: 1750

I'd love to get the opinions of you Heresy Veterans, but basically I'm thinking the strategy is fairly straightforward. 2 of the Terror Squads drop on turn 1, the Contemptor charges up drawing fire and looking for vehicles. Fire Raptor provides air support and the raptors and praetor beat feet to get where they can lay the pain on.

Just re-tooled it with some help from the mistress of murder (Flint). Thoughts?

HQ:
• Praetor - Artificer Armor, Jump Pack, Iron Halo, Paragon Blade, Trophies of Judgement, Melta Bombs - 180pts
Rite of War: Terror Assault

Elites:
• Contemptor Mortis - Twin Kheres 180pts
• Rapier Weapon Battery (2) - 2x Laser Destroyer Arrays - 110pts 

Troops:
• Terror Squad (8) - Headsman w/Artificer Armor, Nostraman Chainglaive & Meltabombs, 3x Volkite Chargers, Drop Pod - 245pts
• Terror Squad (8) - Headsman w/Artificer Armor, Nostraman Chainglaive & Meltabombs, 3x Volkite Chargers, Drop Pod - 245pts

Fast Attack:
• Night Raptor Squad (10) - Huntmaster w/Artificer Armor, Nostraman Chainglaive & Meltabombs, 2x Pairs of Lightning Claws, 2x Power Axes - 310pts

Heavy Support:
• Fire Raptor Gunship - Autocannon Batteries - 210pts

I feel that Thudd Guns (S8 Heavy4, Shatter Shells) or Graviton Guns (Haywire) would serve you better than Lasdestroyers though they are more expensive...

Other than that, it looks pretty decent especially if you get 3 turns of forced Night Fighting with the RoW.

2 Thudd guns will be shooting out 8 S8 Ap4 Sunder (re-roll failed armor pen) shots a turn. So, barring Av14 which might be tougher, you should, at the very least, be able to reliably crack (Glance, really) Av12/13. If you have 3 (180 points, coincidentally) up the number of shots to 12.

Graviton Cannons are Heavy 1 but have Haywire. So while they might not instagib a vehicle, unless it can ignore Difficult/Dangerous terrain, you'll probably be slowing it down decently due to the Graviton Pulse rule. Also makes for great secondary CC.

Granted, at 1750, you are probably not going to run into Spartans since the PITA build for one runs your ~360 points. At the very most, only one.

Well I could drop a Night Raptor and add the Thudd Guns as well as give the Praetor a Volkite Charger. So there's that option. The thing is I know for fact at least one of my opponents is going to run at least a Landraider (Iron Hands). So I want to be able to kill that. Though I suppose the fact that everything has meltabombs will mean that it should die or get glanced to death so long as I focus a couple units on it.

Yeah, bonus points is that Melta Bombs are Armorbane and thus completely screw over armored ceramite (if it has any).

It also won't have flare shields or 5HP.

The Thudd Guns also have the added benefit of the Frag Shells at S6 Ap5 with Shell Shock (pinning at -1ld, iirc). So you're getting a bit more versatility out of the rapier than just 2 Lasdestroyers.

Youll be fire tons of Martian Death Rays into people causing them to explosively combust and cause more people to die. Whats not to love?

Also, pinning down some poor sods with Mortar Fire in the Night only to have them get charged by 8ft tall psychopaths wearing your neighbors face as a lapel charge you in a raging frenzy; a few of them falling from the sky to boot. Can't get more rewarding than that as a Night Lord :p

Sorry Slip, revised it again. I like the feel of this list even more:

HQ:
• Praetor - Artificer Armor, Jump Pack, Iron Halo, Paragon Blade, Trophies of Judgement, Melta Bombs
- Rite of War: Terror Assault

Elites:
• Contemptor Mortis - 2x Twin-Linked Lascannons
• Rapier Weapon Battery (2) - 2x Laser Destroyer Arrays

Troops:
• Terror Squad (8) - Headsman w/Artificer Armor, Nostraman Chainglaive & Meltabombs, 3x Volkite Chargers, Drop Pod
• Terror Squad (8) - Headsman w/Artificer Armor, Nostraman Chainglaive & Meltabombs, 3x Volkite Chargers, Drop Pod

Fast Attack:
• Night Raptor Squad (9) - Huntmaster w/Artificer Armor & Nostraman Chainglaive, 2x Pairs of Lightning Claws, 2x Power Axes

Heavy Support:
• Predator Tank Squadron (2) - 2x Predators, 2x Plasma Executioners, 2x Machine Spirit, 2x Twin-Linked Bolters

Only thing not on the board turn 1 is a single drop pod. Terror Squads and Raptors gut infantry, Contemptor and Rapiers crack armor, Predators hunt TEQs and Deathstar mobs.

I mean, I can't complain about 6 S7 (8?) Ap2 Blasts a Turn at a target without Gets Hot!

If this is what your comfortable playing, go for it. Take my above sequence of events and replace mortar bombardment with Man-Sized Plasma Blob Bombardments.

Even Scarier since they Terror Squads will be briefly illuminated by the Plasma as it streaks towards the soon-to-be piles of ash. If anything, they might start jumping into the plasma to save themselves :p

I like that list. It's efficient and at that point level covers most of the potential headaches you might run into.

Only thing I'd be careful of is the lack of armoured ceramite on the preds. But then again there's plenty that can hit AV13 outright so I suppose it's not as critical as a Sicaran/Land Raider.

If at all possible, I'd maybe take out a drop pod and use the points to add more Volkites to one of the Terror Squads. Given that Terror Squads have preferred enemy infantry (only bad rolls are 2s) and you can domino the wounds on, getting a squad packed full of them is crazy. Last game I played 9 of them caused 24 wounds

Yeah initially I had maxed-out volkite death squads, however I don't want to shoot myself out of a charge (seeing as that's where Talent for Murder comes in). I just want to do enough wounds to make sure its an unfair fight ;) Also yeah the Predators are a bit of a soft target, the other option was to throw a Sicaran with lascannon sponsons in.

Also here's another list that may save me some money in the tank department. Basically just adds a Sicaran and gives bolters to the rest of the Terror Squad members so they can reach out and touch someone when they pod in.

HQ:

• Praetor - Artificer Armor, Jump Pack, Iron Halo, Paragon Blade, Trophies of Judgement, Melta Bombs

- Rite of War: Terror Assault

Elites:

• Contemptor Mortis - 2x Twin-Linked Lascannons

• Rapier Weapon Battery (2) - 2x Laser Destroyer Arrays

Troops:

• Terror Squad (8) - Headsman w/Artificer Armor, Nostraman Chainglaive & Meltabombs, 3x Volkite Chargers, 5x Bolters, Drop Pod

• Terror Squad (8) - Headsman w/Artificer Armor, Nostraman Chainglaive & Meltabombs, 3x Volkite Chargers, 5x Bolters, Drop Pod

Fast Attack:

• Night Raptor Squad (9) - Huntmaster w/Meltabombs & Nostraman Chainglaive, 2x Pairs of Lightning Claws, 2x Power Axes

Heavy Support:

• Sicaran - Lascannon Sponsons, Armored Ceramite, Auxiliary Drive

Archived