Daemons got nastier?

Damo1701

Firstly, apologies if this has been dead donkied before, but searchy didn't turn anything up.

Scenario: Psychic Greater Daemon (or little herald) are about to die, so last wound. Now, in their psychic phase, they manage to get off the possession power.

Can you the replace the caster, with exactly the same model, (resetting stats, wounds etc), or one tailored to the job at hand (swap out a very wounded LoC for a 'Thirster, or any other combination.

Is this a valid tactic? Or a giant censored.gif you to the enemy who were about to kill your prize?

Yes.

There was a WD article just before 7th was released where the DA side did something similar. IIRC, it was Ezekiel with one last wound summoning a thirster.

Sure was Ezekiel. The proof that the Dark Angels are truly heretics.

That's just scary to consider.

So the lesson here if facing daemons, kill the psykers.

If using them, have a spare GD, for the time you manage to pull off a decent summon.

I think certain B&C members would tell you that "kill the psykers" should always be your game plan, but they're a little too fond of swords and setting people on fire. The potential to just stuf a new greater daemon on the board in place of an IC with summoning powers is one of the more troubling aspects of a daemon army, though, yes.

To do it, of course, you have to both generate and successfully cast the spell, so it's another random thing you may or may not get which in turn might suck or might overpower your army into the stratosphere - it fits the general design of the daemon codex.

The other horrible thing here, is if you manage to generate summon in a low points game, then you can really skew the game in the daemons' favour.

I'd hate to see a GD of any type in less than 1000-1500 really, as for most armies, you lack the punch to kill them at <1000pts IMO.

Any thoughts on that guys?

I honestly think that I would exchange the summon power if playing at 800pts.

Keep in mind that if the Greater Daemon/Herald that casts this is your Warlord then he counts as killed for the purposes of Victory Points. You would also lose your Warlord Trait if he has one.  Not to mention you would have to have actually rolled the power before the game, and then successfully get it off during the game at the right time without the aid of rerolls (unless you are lucky enough to be right next to a CSM Vehicle with the Death of Kasyr Valen LoR).

Basically it is a good strategy to keep in mind if you get the right power, but its not terribly reliable and it does come with consequences.

Just got back from a league match just now at my local GWS. We are doing that escalation thing and boy daemons are OP in it at 750 points. I'm mononurgle running nurgle circus this time around. I was playing against and unbound DE so I went unbound.  3 DP of Nurgle. Baalsword, armor, wings on 2 the 3rd was my warlord with 2 mastery levels. Mission 1 of maelstrom, just had my warlord fly around summoning plaguebearers around the board. got 3 summons off so thats an extra 210 points right there.

He conceded 15-4 points on turn 5 after only having killed 1 unit of plaguebearers hiding in ruins all game.

Archived