1.5k Alpha Legion/Auxilia

Emperor's Furor

So I've been thinking of how to start my combined army. I've always wanted a force of Alpha Legion that use normal human troops as they "decoy" whilst they act as a knife in the back. It's kind of fluffy and also based on conversion (about to do the seeker squad out of a recon unit) Anyway this is just the start of it, I already have the Contemptor and a Lasrifle section with the seeker squad coming soon.

I was thinking of giving the army Infiltrate (Alpha Legion rule), so the two squads can set up close to objectives hopefully, but it also gives the rhino and the seeker squad outflank, although they could also use it to infiltrate but I figure infiltrating a Rhino may paint a target on it from the off and hopefully coming off the outflank it can cause a lot more havoc.

HQ
Vigilator - Bolter with Special Ammo and Banestrike / Bolt Pistol - Power Sword / Melta bomb - 105

Troops
Legion Tactical Squad (10) - 150
Legion Tactical Squad (10) - 150

Elite
Contemptor - Twin-linked Lascannon - 200
Apothecary - 45 

Fast Attack
Seeker Squad (8) - 5 Combi Plasma-guns / Banestrike rounds / Power Sword / 7 Power Daggers - 315
Rhino - 35

Allied Detachment
HQ
Auxilia Tank Commander - 55
Malcador Heavy Tank - Battle Cannon / 3 Autocannons / Siege Armour - 245

Troops
Auxilia Lasrifle Section - 100
Auxilia Lasrifle Section - 100

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Vigilator needs to get Artificer Armour and Refractor Field, it just makes him a bit more protected, against some weapons like Volkites that force saves, 3+ is bound to fail. 

I would probably swap Seekers for Headhunters, they practically do the same job and come with PE:Infantry and are practically the same price. I assume that the Apothecary is going with the Seekers? I'm not sure why you're taking the Rhino if you can Infiltrate as I would want these things on the table from T1.

You're a bit light on troops all round and I think this list will struggle as it is at the moment, half your points are tied up in 3 units.

Definitely put at least 2+ on the Vigilator.

Also how are you getting 7 Power Daggers on the Seekers? Only the leader is a Character.

Headhunters are good for hunting any and all infantry, they trade high initial damage against a single target for better damage against multiple targets. So it's up to you as what direction you want.

Definitely put at least 2+ on the Vigilator.

Also how are you getting 7 Power Daggers on the Seekers? Only the leader is a Character.

Headhunters are good for hunting any and all infantry, they trade high initial damage against a single target for better damage against multiple targets. So it's up to you as what direction you want.

I mis-read the power dagger entry I thought it said anyone with Legiones Astartes Alpha Legion could have it, missed the character part. My fault.

I went with Seeker Squads as Headhunters can't take combi-weapons only specifically combi-bolters and I thought rerolling misses wit combi plasma would be punishing.

I think the Vigilator needs to get Artificer Armour and Refractor Field, it just makes him a bit more protected, against some weapons like Volkites that force saves, 3+ is bound to fail. 

I would probably swap Seekers for Headhunters, they practically do the same job and come with PE:Infantry and are practically the same price. I assume that the Apothecary is going with the Seekers? I'm not sure why you're taking the Rhino if you can Infiltrate as I would want these things on the table from T1.

You're a bit light on troops all round and I think this list will struggle as it is at the moment, half your points are tied up in 3 units.

The Auxilia gives me 40 troops in 4+ armour so it's not to bad. I figured a rhino would allow them to outflank and come on from the edge and behind enemy lines and still maintain mobility.

Reconsidering doing Alpha Legion atm anyway, this was just a tester based on what I figured I could afford within the next 6 months, but I think I'll try something else, something that doesn't rely to much on special rules and is a bit more solid.

Any way to swap to a Deredeo? I know the AL dread is gorgeous, but the effectiveness of the Deredeo as a Tank Hunter and AA makes it that much better IMHO. The problem with Las is that the low RoF means that the AP2 isn't all that hot, and the additional strength means that only against AV15 does it become of worth, and with only a single glance per game for each Lascannon, even a Kheres is better despite the range. A Deredeo against AV14 has a slightly lower chance per shot to glance (28%, compared to 33%) but have more shots obviously.

Also Stretching to an Aiolos at this level is effectively 18 dead marines for 35pts, or 180pts in your favour.

Archived