Bramante's Last Stand

simison

Played my first game with a Fortress of Redemption. 1k points vs Tyranids. Mission? Purge the Alien. (pics later.)

HQ:  Techmarine {Bramante]

EL: Sternguard+ 1 man 

EL: Fragioso  + DP                                                           

TRP: TAC sqd + P.Can                                                    

TRP: TAC  + H.Flamer                                                      

FA: Bikes  + 2 Flamers + 1 Bike                     

H/S: Vind  + Engines                                                

Fort: FoR + 4 H. Bolters  + Remote Fire         

The Tyranids brought 16 gargoyles, 20 termagaunts, 2x 15 hormagaunt swarms, 2xvenomthropes, shrike squad, 2x zoanthropes, and a hive tyrant and a carnifex.

Most my army deployed in the Fortress with the bikes and Vindicator off to the right with my Fragioso in reserves. Bramante and the heavy flamer squad in the tower, the other TAC squad on the missile platform, sternguard within the walkway. 

Turn 1

He just deploys in a long line across his side of the board. I get first turn and do my best to thin out the swarms, killing 2 terms & 10 gargoyles, as my fragioso hits his right flank.

He moves forward except the hive tyrant, who flies across his line to Warp Blast my Fragioso, exploding it to my frustration. Gargoyles shoot and do nothing to my bikes, while the rest of his army simply runs, rolling lots of 1's and 2's, thankfully. 

Turn 2

My dice hate me as more than half of my firing fails, despite BS 4. I kill a few hormogaunts, wound a shrike, and finish off the gargoyles. 

I lose two bikes, which breaks them and they run away from being charged by a monstrous creature. Nothing else happens, except now he is very close to charging me.

Turn 3

More gaunts die, but I fail to inflict more than 1 wound to the carnifex who really wants to destroy my fortress. 

I'm in trouble. Vindicator goes down, and now the nids are at my door. The walkway goes down, taking down 2 sterns, the Plasma cannon TAC squad loses 2 marines to fire, but kills a bug in the ensuing melee. The lone bike goes down, and we run out of time, leaving the score 5-2, Tyranid victory. 

I'm kinda confused on how you're supposed to win against this set-up. Admittedly, I took the Fortress because my opponent brought it, and I wanted to try it out. Bramante's +1 cover boost wasn't nearly as useful as I thought it'd be. If I had IG veterans, that would've changed been much more effective. Also, I should've given every squad a melta bomb for the monstrous creatures.

Archived