death comp dread or a furiso?

DominicJ

The original plan was to stormraven in a dread as a peak a boo surprise, but now it's going to be T1 podded.

My choices are

DCD

Talons(?) (These seem overkill for shred)

Flamers

Grapple(?)

Or

Furiso

Frag cannon

Flamer

The extra armour on the furioso drew me

I've never really used dreads before, just the basic mm/pf

What role do you have in mind? What is the rest of your build?

Dropping one dread alone means that dread will die in turn two, pretty much guaranteed. So it needs to make its PV back. Fragioso can be great for shaking up the enemy's form and getting first blood.

A DC dread needs to be used differently. It can't do too much on the turn it arrives so it needs to be dropped either in cover or behind LOS blocking terrain, and still threatening the enemy for turn two. You could always proxy your pod as a Lucius pod too, in either case. This would give shrouded so long as you either keep the model embarked or deployed on the ramps. If you,can drop the pod in ruins you might even get 2+ cover in the next turn.

Two 6 man tacs with plasma gun in bolter backs

Raven, AC / MM

Lib, termie, 7 DC with a fist and jump packs in a crusader

Vindicator

Not sure from there, assault squads probably.

Job is to draw attention, drop on a flank in to cover, nuke a squad and hopefully force a big redeploy, or draw a turns firepower

If its a choice between purely hand to hand dreads then take the furioso over the DC one if your fighting marines. If its hordes then the DC comes out better. But Frag cannon Dreads rock, for up close blasting action straight out of a pod.smile.png

• 2 weeks later...
For my Pod Dread, I am running a Fragioso with a melta gun. The extra armour and better firepower suit a Drop pod better. I am also running a DC Dread who will piggy-back in on the Storm Raven with a cheap squad of CCW scouts. His CC orientation suit being deployed from an Assault vehicle so he can gt stuck in straight away.

The Melta gun may seem an odd choice for a Fragioso but it actually makes good sense in 7th Ed. The Heavy flamer and Frag cannon are resolved separately, by the time the Frag cannon is done, chances are there may not be much left to flame. Adding a melta gun makes the Fragioso more effective against vehicles too. A melta shot plus 2 automatic S6 Rending hits make it pretty effective against light-to-medium armour. Also, if you are facing infantry with a 3+ or better save, a heavy flamer is unlikely to kill more models than a melta gun, especially after the frag cannon has fired.

For the DC Dread, I am planning to run Cassor so I have a Troop tax covered.

Archived