appiah4's Blood Angels

appiah4

• 3 months later...

I've done some (minor) work on this Land Speeder this weekend.. To be perfectly honest, I'm using that minimal effort as an excuse to take some test photos of miniatures in my new lightbox.

gallery_60983_8363_69898.jpg

I'm alternating between this model and my Imperial Fist Primaris figures, but I doubt I'll get it finished before year end..

EDIT: I should take photos of my Tycho with his banner in this lightbox sometime..

Edited by appiah5

Always had a soft spot for land speeders, even if I never managed to fully paint one myself :D

Looks like you did a great job on the build, no seems obviously visible, which was always the issue with them IIRC. Red looks nice and smooth too.

Somehow the pictures came out unfocused for me. Have you been using zoom?

Also I would play a bit with the 'proffessional' settings of your camera - ISO (light exposure level) and WB (white balance? - the colour of light)
After that, you should be able to edit the pictures a bit even with your basic Gallery app on your phone. Look for 'Exposition', with which you can decrease the overall brightness of the background and then a bit of the Contrast and Colour saturation

It was a real (and pretty recent) life-changer for me as I very often struggle with too much/too little light exposure myself.

Here is a not a not very good, but still a before-after example
med_gallery_105306_14251_1246224.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_460586.jpg
The one on the left was only 'darkened' during taking of the picture.
Afterwards I decreased the light exposure, making the picture a bit darker, but most importantly - the background got darker too.
Then I decreased the contrast a bit, which brings up some of the less visible shadowed edges. It also makes the colours more grey, but next step helps to amend this.
And lastly Colour saturations will help bring the colours back up to most real-like level after contrast decrease , to bring the colours of the mini to the most realistic setting.

Yeah, they are not as sharp as I would have liked :ermm: I think some of the softness is due to the camera but some of it comes from the forum's downscaling and compression algorithm for large images..

The camera I'm using is a megazoom semi-SLR, the zoom is optical and not digital so that should have zero impact on the sharpness.  I am using manual mode for Aperture and Shutter Speed but I have a feeling it's not very good at understanding I want it to take a very detailed photo of a single object in this mode.  I will see if I can go back to Macro mode and leave some of that work to the camera..

Edited by appiah5

• 3 months later...

Always impressed with that vibrant scarlet you get, speeders looking great!

Thank you :) I'm really old school, been painting for 20 years old and a lot of my painting reflexes date back to a time when vibrant colors were the Warhammer look.  Still,  I believe my red got significantly more eye catching once I started to get better at layering and bolder with my highlights.  My older figures look a bit more flat but I am done stripping and repainting.  At 40 odd years I am more interested in having more painted models on the shelf than having everything look the best I can :smile.:

Very nice job! Excellent gem-like eye-lenses and progressive highlights on the Imperialis on the chest!

Agree on the nice richness of the red colour.

Good to see you painting again :smile.:

Thank you.  I cheated a bit on these and used some spray cans but my method is fairly straightforward.  Switching to Vallejo Model Color paints from craft paints made layering and glazing a million times easier so I am constantly experimenting with those and being braver with expressing volumes, I think that helps with the look.

I'm still painting, from time to time.  I'm a bit busier with my Mustard Fists though (link in my signature :smile.: ).  I am arguably a bit more liberal and progressive about how I paint those than my Blood Angels, as they don't have to fit in with an existing army.

Edited by appiah5

Always impressed with that vibrant scarlet you get, speeders looking great!

Thank you :smile.: I'm really old school, been painting for 20 years old and a lot of my painting reflexes date back to a time when vibrant colors were the Warhammer look.  Still,  I believe my red got significantly more eye catching once I started to get better at layering and bolder with my highlights.  My older figures look a bit more flat but I am done stripping and repainting.  At 40 odd years I am more interested in having more painted models on the shelf than having everything look the best I can :smile.:

I hear you there, these days I want everything done quickly to a standard I'm happy with, as opposed to slaving over getting it perfect. My conversions and freehand has suffered, but once things are done I'll go back and add detail. 

Thanks for the kind words, glad you enjoyed them.

The gunner is also done, so here is one more for the red boys.

gallery_60983_8363_14071.jpeg

So now all that's left are the controls and lights on the Land Speeder itself. That's for tomorrow. Unfortunately I misplaced the flying base so getting photos of the finished model may take some time.

Nothing dark about it, it is an authentic model currently on sale at Cults3D and does not infringe on GW IP. Chapterhouse case basically sorted that out. It is no different than many pseudo power armor figures on sale from other manufacturers.

Yes, anycubic.

Edited by appiah5

Right after finishing the Land Speeder I managed to drop it.  Result: Broken typhoon launcher, broken step, broken helmet antenna.  I managed to fix the first two but the third was impossible so now the driver's helmet is retracted.  At least I managed to salvage it.. *SIGH*  Photos to follow..

Right after finishing the Land Speeder I managed to drop it.  Result: Broken typhoon launcher, broken step, broken helmet antenna.  I managed to fix the first two but the third was impossible so now the driver's helmet is retracted.  At least I managed to salvage it.. *SIGH*  Photos to follow..

Anti grav motors failed to engage. Must have forgotten to sing the psalm of awakening to the machine spirit. Sorry to hear brother. 

Is it worth trying to drill recess a short length of paperclip as a replacement antenna? It's bad sometimes, once saw a lovingly converted 2nd ed chaos predator with front glacis plate from the belly of a GUO take a dive off the edge of a table mid game - as far as I am aware it's still in bits 25 years later...