Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1850 Deathiwng w/ Imperial Knight - Tournament List

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

Solrac

Solrac

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 922 posts

Hey guys,

Found out about a tournament today being held on the 21st and 22nd Feb and thought why not. This will be my first time at a Tournament and have read extensively through the Players Pack (found here if you guys are keen to read).

My main reason with going with Deathwing is simply because it's the bulk of what I have painted and what I can finish painting by the Tournament date and requires me not to have to purchase anymore units.

I plan on going the whole hog and even writing up some fluff on each unit and explaining why the Knight is fighting with the Deathwing (still in the process of fleshing it out but so far I've decided that somewhere along the line the Deathwing saved said Knight and now the Knight is always requesting to get involved in any campaign involving the Dark Angels as a form of life debt to them).

My list is due by this Saturday but plan on sending it asap. Just thought I'd get some quick feedback.

I was thinking of going with the March10k dual LRC list but after reading FashaTheDog's post Tournament  write up on his 1500 point foot Deathwing list I thought adding a Knight Errant to that would make it very competitive.

Here's my list, 1850 on the nose:

COMBINED ARMS DETACHMENT - Dark Angels: Deathwing - 1850pts

HQ

Belial

+ Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield

(5) Deathwing Command Squad

+ Plasma Cannon

+ Stand of Fortitude

+ 2x Thunder Hammer & Stormshield

TROOPS

(10) Deathwing Terminator Squad

+ 2x Heavy Flamer

+ 2x Thunder Hammer & Stormshield

(5) Deathwing Terminator Squad

+ Cyclone Missile Launcher

(5) Deathwing Terminator Squad

+ Cyclone Missile Launcher

IMPERIAL KNIGHT DETACHMENT

Imperial Knight Errant

TACTICA

For those not familiar with Imperial Knights, the Errant is the one with the big melta. I wanted 1 Hammer & Shield per squad and at least a chainfist or 2 in Belial's unit but there's no real room for re-shuffling.

So the plan is for the 10 man dual HF squad to take advantage of Belial's no scatter rule. This squad will guarantee First Blood. I will drop the other 2 squads on the same side as Belial and overload one of the flanks. The Knight will move up the field and hunt tanks/heavy infantry.

All the missions have home objectives so plan to take theres rather than trying to hold mine, the Knight should hopefully deter most squad types coming up the middle.

The list shoves 2 huge threats at the enemy and hopefully force my opponent to panic a little bit and not prioritise properly. I will be ignoring flyers unless there is nothing else to shoot at and barring a melta drop pod squad getting lucky and killing my Knight in the first turn it should remain pretty competitive.

Gonna do a stocktake of the Termies I need to still paint for this list and get started building my Knight tonight. I've decided to go with the House Terryn colours. Even though it's the main colour associated with the Knights, I really love the Blue and Gold and it's the polar opposite of anything else I have in my collection. I'll post some pics up in my WIP thread.

Cheers all.

Chaplain Lucifer

Chaplain Lucifer

++ RHETOR ORIENS ASTRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,180 posts
I wouldn't gamble Belial and 10 termies to guarantee first blood because they can't guarantee it and you might end up trading a First Blood for a Slay the Warlord. If you play against a mech army you have to knock out transports to get those HF's to work, and your AT is very limited...I would still use Belial and DS ability but in a more conservative way... Not about getting first blood but delivering a crippling blow. Think about the endgame not about the perceived easier points.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Solrac

Solrac

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 922 posts

I wouldn't gamble Belial and 10 termies to guarantee first blood because they can't guarantee it and you might end up trading a First Blood for a Slay the Warlord. If you play against a mech army you have to knock out transports to get those HF's to work, and your AT is very limited...I would still use Belial and DS ability but in a more conservative way... Not about getting first blood but delivering a crippling blow. Think about the endgame not about the perceived easier points.

Very true. I won't be using them as a throw away unit even though I made it sound that way.

Chaplain Lucifer

Chaplain Lucifer

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,180 posts

I read the missions and it's all very objective based so you'llhave to rely on resilience and sticking to objectives to achieve victory. You don't have som many squads so you'll be very limited on that department. You'll have to get 2-3 objectives and focus firepower on the enemy grabbing the remaining ones. I'm not sure I woulg go for heavy flamers in the big terminator squad because the lack of range can hurt you in the endgame but you don't hve points to shuffle things around, so best of luck. We expect a battle report. :)

Posted ImagePosted Image

SnakeChisler

SnakeChisler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,944 posts
I'd have some death wing knights in there given they can take a super heavy down in 1 round of combat

We've just finished building my sons IM and needed to buy some larger magnets so the gun is swappable, lovely models but given there size quite a bit of planning when into how to disassemble it for Transportation. The gun swaps easy though with the right size magnets & some green stuff..

Play testing it in combat the stomps did the most damage as did the blast when it died, the knights were the only thing that seemed capable of fetching it down so you didn't get stood on

Solrac

Solrac

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 922 posts

I read the missions and it's all very objective based so you'llhave to rely on resilience and sticking to objectives to achieve victory. You don't have som many squads so you'll be very limited on that department. You'll have to get 2-3 objectives and focus firepower on the enemy grabbing the remaining ones. I'm not sure I woulg go for heavy flamers in the big terminator squad because the lack of range can hurt you in the endgame but you don't hve points to shuffle things around, so best of luck. We expect a battle report. smile.png

Yeah I thought about that too but hopefully the Heavy Flamers also act as a charge deterrent if I'm parked on an objective.

Should I be deep striking the Cyclones in as well to get into Storm Bolter range or should I park them on Home objectives and just shoot missiles all day? 

Chaplain Lucifer

Chaplain Lucifer

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,180 posts

For the Cyclone squads it's case by case. If you deploy second you can decide what suits you best... if you are the first to deploy I would probably not risk deepstriking the cyclones, just park the cyclones out of LoS, close as possible to objectives but in a place that can control fire lanes, so the enemy cant go anywhere unchallenged...

Posted ImagePosted Image

Solrac

Solrac

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 922 posts

We expect a battle report. smile.png

Haha just noticed this. See if I can bring a minion to take photos and write down notes so I can do some batreps.

SnakeChisler

SnakeChisler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,944 posts

Looks an interesting mission pack and am looking forward to the batrep ;)