The Redeemers ~ Black Maru's Order of Redemption

Bukimimaru

Part 1 of a short story I'm working on:

Despite requesting a number of resources from the Adeptus Mechanicus, Maru was not granted many supplies when he was tasked with establishing the Order of Redemption. One of the few boons he was granted was a stasis chamber, small but usable and painstakingly installed in the depths of a cave beneath Maru’s scratch-built fortress. Not many people are granted access to the cave, save for a few techpriests and the creepy Janitor with the lazy eye.
The cave has undergone some heavy renovation since it was first discovered underneath Maru’s headquarters, and is now adorned with suitably atmospheric flaming torches, engraved walls and huge wooden doorways that make a satisfying creak when opened.

At the far end of the cave, 3 silhouettes appear, flickering ominously in the torchlight, casting huge and daunting shadows across the cracked stone floor.  It was time for the monthly ritual. The three figures pace slowly across the wide empty expanse of the cave, heading towards the great engraved staircase leading up towards the stasis chamber. The three walk in rhythm, their pale monk-like robes dragging across the dusty floor. The middle figure has a brown sack slung across his back, the  two either side of him are carrying large buckets filled with a sloshing, thick liquid.

The middle figure jabs the acolyte to his left with a bony finger. 
“Oi, you be carful not to spill any of that.” He remarks.
“I know, I know. This isn’t my first visit.”
“This time will be different. As long as someone doesn’t start sneezing and blow the whole plan”
“You know what they say, 24th
time is the charm.”

The three acolytes reach the top of the staircase and stare anxiously at the chamber door leading into the stasis chamber. The youngest of the group stretches out his robotic right arm to open the seal, but the middle acolyte quickly slaps it away.

“shhh!”

As they lean in closer to the door they become aware of a low rumbling noise. The rhythmic roar coming from the other side of the door rises and falls, sending vibrations through the thick steel door.

“He’s sleeping.” The elder whispers.
“Awww, he’s probably dreaming about chasing Kroot across the fields of Terra.”
“Once we break the seal, he’ll start to wake up. We must move quickly and silently if we are to complete our mission before he regains consciousness. Maru will not tolerate another failure.”

The elder gestures for the youngest acolyte to proceed and the seal is removed from the huge steel door. The panels slide back to reveal a large circular room filled with cold cryo-smoke. The thunderous snoring resonates from somewhere deep within the thick freezing fog.
The three men walk through the fog deeper into the chamber and they are soon able to make out the blurry silhouette of their target, the hulking mass of ancient metal: Big Crispin.

Trying to get everything painted before my trip to Bristol.
Everything is tabletop standard exept for my 6 remaining Assualt Marines.

4/10 Assault Squad

Once the last four are tabletop ready I need to knuckle down and get it all to a decent standard and not get distraced by this guy:

Post-assmbly Knight

Yeah, I've been a bit silly and I've bought waaay too much stuff.

Even if I get all my Tourney stuff done by 27th April, I still have:

2x 10 man tac squad

1x 5 man tac squad

1x Attack Bike

1x Razorback

10 x C/C scouts

1 x Imperial Knight

1X Baal Pred

1x Ages Def Line and Quad Gun

that are all still grey/primed to paint. I also have various other models that are part/half finished, not sure what the rules are on pledging half finsished dudes.

I had a really fantastic match against a buddy of mine.

I took and all infantry list (aside from a Libby Dread) and he had a Nurgle/Tzeech themed Daemon list.

We played custom Maelstrom rules and had an absolute blast.

At one point a very unfortunate Daemon Prince took Perils of the Warp and then failed his Daemon Weapon roll in the same turn loosing two wounds. He shot the Burning brand of Skalathrax at my Death Company who passed 5 out of 8 FNP rolls who proceeded to power fist him to death.

Other notable moments include a Forgeworld variant of the Defiler killing 9 men out of a 10 man Tac Squad. The lonely Multi-melta marine passed his LD test, moved into range and successfully snap-fired a hit against the mighty war-engine.

I took a squad of Assault Terms in a squad with a Terminator Libby who got "Wings of Sanguinius". So much fun having Terminators flying elegantly through the skies.

I won the game points wise by a hefty margin, but it was purely through luck of the cards. As we through the lists together with whatever models we had to hand, it wasn’t really when you would call a balanced game, but it was a tremendous laugh and that’s pretty much what I play for.

Well, I just got thoroughly pummelled. :(

I was playing my tourney list for Bristol against a buddy of mine and due to a mix of truly abysmal rolling and terrible Maelstrom card, I was beaten into submission turn 4. None of my reserves came in and my knight was stripped down to 1 hull point by a single Ork Nob with a powerklaw. :(

So, to make myself feel better I've got my entire army out and worked out their combined points value.

Black Maru's Order of Redemption officially comes in at just under 7500 points:

+++ The Order of Redemption (7466pts) +++

++ Blood Angels: Codex (2014) (Unbound Army (Faction)) ++

+ (No Category) +

Relics and Detachment-rules

····Codex: Blood Angels [baal Strike Force]

Sanguinary Discipline

+ No Battle Role (HQ) +

Astorath, Redeemer of the Lost

Librarian [bolt Pistol, Force Weapon, Jump pack, Psyker (ML2), Warlord]

Brother Corbulo, Keeper of the Red Grail

Captain Karlaen

Chaplain [bolt Pistol, Crozius Arcanum, Jump pack]

Sanguinary Priest [Additional Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Jump pack]

····Valour's Edge [Melee weapon]

Librarian (Terminator) [Psyker (ML2), Storm bolter]

Librarian Dreadnought [Psychic Pilot (ML2)]

····Power fist [storm bolter]

Mephiston, Lord of Death

+ No Battle Role (Elites) +

Furioso Dreadnought [Magna-grapple]

····Power Fists [Frag cannon, Heavy flamer]

Death Company Dreadnought [Magna-grapple, Meltagun and storm bolter, Power Fists]

Death Company Squad [10x Bolt Pistol, 6x Chainsword, 10x Death Company Marine, Jump Pack, 2x Power Fist, 2x Thunder Hammer]

Death Company Squad [10x Bolt Pistol, 5x Chainsword, 10x Death Company Marine, Jump Pack, 3x Power Fist, Power Weapon, Thunder Hammer]

Sanguinary Guard Squad [5x Angelus Boltgun, Chapter Banner, 2x Encarmine Axe, 2x Encarmine Sword, Power Fist, 5x Sanguinary Guard]

Terminator Assault Squad [4x Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield, Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield]

Terminator Squad [Assault Cannon (replaces Storm Bolter), Chainfist (replaces Power fist), 4x Terminators]

····Sergeant [Power Sword]

Terminator Squad [Heavy Flamer (replaces Storm Bolter), 4x Terminators]

····Sergeant [Power Sword]

+ No Battle Role (Troops) +

Scout Squad [4x Scouts, 4x Sniper Rifle]

····Scout Sergeant [sniper Rifle]

Scout Squad [4x Scouts, 4x Sniper Rifle]

Scout Squad [4x Scouts, 3x Sniper Rifle]

····Heavy Bolter [Hellfire shells]

Scout Squad [Camo Cloaks, 4x Combat Blade, 4x Scouts]

····Scout Sergeant [bolt Pistol, Chainsword]

Scout Squad [Camo Cloaks, 4x Combat Blade, 4x Scouts]

····Scout Sergeant [bolt Pistol, Chainsword]

Tactical Squad [Flamer, Heavy flamer, 9x Tactical Marine]

····Tactical Sergeant [Combi-Flamer, Power weapon]

Tactical Squad [Meltagun, Multi-melta, 9x Tactical Marine]

····Tactical Sergeant [2x Inferno Pistol]

Tactical Squad [Meltagun, Multi-melta, 9x Tactical Marine]

····Tactical Sergeant [Plasma Pistol, Power weapon]

+ No Battle Role (Fast Attack) +

Assault Squad [4x Assault Marines, Jump Packs, 2x Meltagun]

····Assault Sergeant [inferno Pistol, Power weapon]

Assault Squad [4x Assault Marines, Jump Packs, 2x Meltagun]

····Assault Sergeant [inferno Pistol, Power weapon]

Assault Squad [9x Assault Marines, Jump Packs, 2x Meltagun]

····Assault Sergeant [2x Inferno Pistol]

Assault Squad [9x Assault Marines, 2x Flamer, Jump Packs]

····Assault Sergeant [2x Hand Flamer]

Bike Squad [2x Grav-gun, 2x Space Marine Biker]

····Attack Bike [Multimelta]

····Biker Sergeant [Combi-Grav]

Bike Squad [2x Grav-gun, 4x Space Marine Biker]

····Attack Bike [Multimelta]

····Biker Sergeant [Combi-Grav]

Drop Pod [storm Bolter]

Drop Pod [storm Bolter]

Drop Pod [storm Bolter]

Land Speeder Squadron

····Land Speeder [Multi-melta]

Razorback [Twin Linked Lascannon]

Razorback [Twin Linked Lascannon]

Razorback [Lascannon & Twin Linked Plasma Gun]

+ No Battle Role (Heavy Support) +

Baal Predator [Heavy bolters, Twin-linked Assault Cannon]

Predator [Autocannon, Heavy Bolters, Overcharged engines]

Stormraven Gunship [Hurricane Bolter Sponsons, Twin Linked Lascannon, Twin-linked Multi-melta]

Stormraven Gunship [Hurricane Bolter Sponsons, Twin Linked Assault Cannon, Twin-linked heavy Bolter]

Vindicator [Overcharged engines, Siege shield, Storm bolter]

Vindicator [Overcharged engines, Siege shield, Storm bolter]

+ No Battle Role (Lords of War) +

Commander Dante, Chapter Master of the Blood Angels

++ Officio Assassinorum: Dataslate (2014) (Officio Assassinorum Detachment) ++

+ Elites +

Eversor Assassin

++ Imperial Knights: Codex (2014) (Imperial Knight Detachment) ++

+ Knights +

Knight Errant

Knight Paladin

Now if only I could get it all painted. ^_^

I had an awesome weekend at Bristol Vanquish.

As I am a very casual player and this was my first big tourney, my goal was to not get tabled on every game. If I could make it to the end of one game without loosing everything I would be happy. I was perhaps selling myself a little short.

I'm happy to say that by the end of the weekend I ran the complete gambit of results; 5 games in total and I got a Major Victory, a Minor Victory, a Draw, a Minor Loss and a Major Loss. My over all rank was 45th out of (I think) about 70 people.

My first game was against a Tau Gunline; A friendly chap running a Riptide, a couple of Hammerheads, a whole bunch of Crisis Suits and then loads of Firewarrirors and those Markerlight dudes. Weirdly most of his army was unpainted / only sprayed which was kind of odd considering the rules pack said the armies should be tabletop standard at least. Still, I'm not one to complain and the guy was really friendly, so I didn’t mention it. 

I got very lucky with my objective cards here and with some smart deployment I managed to hammer most of his infantry pretty hard early on. Sadly my reserves weren’t much help in this game, he had so much Intercepting firepower my meltacide squad died before they hit the ground and my Storm Raven was forced to jink so much that its firepower wasn’t much use.

That being said my Death Company and Assault Squad really kicked ass and I ended up winning by a good margin. I can’t remember exactly but the score was something like 5-11 to me.

Game number two was... weird. The guy I was playing against was, judging by his accent, Danish and he apologised straight off has he had come straight from the airport and was missing a few things. Well, that happens I guess, everyone forgets things now and then, so no big deal. "What are you missing dude?" I asked. Turns out he had no objective cards. "no problem" says I, "I've got a few spare decks just in case, you can borrow these for the weekend if you want". He gratefully accepted and advised he also had no army list to show me. Normally this wouldn’t be an issue either, after all I've been playing for many years, it would be hard to find many units that I'm not a least a little familiar with.

Then he got his models out. Everything was kitbashed, mostly unpainted, missing heads and arms. The list was something like: 3 Imperial Knights (kitbashed out of the Khorn Lord of Skulls and other parts I didn’t recognise) Some Thunderwolf Cavalry (made from some Juggernaughts and Chaos Marine bits) and one of the Spacewolf flyers (make from Heldrake bits and lots of greenstuff). To be honest I was too horrified at the prospect of facing 3 Knights and Thunderwolves to be concerned about my opponents disregard for the WISIWIG rules laidout in the tourney pack.
I prepared myself for an absolute ass-kicking and we began the game. Much to my surprise it actually turned out to be a really great match. I mean, I knew I wasn’t going to win from the get go, so my plan was to grab as many objectives as possible and stick to my “Not getting tabled no matter what” plan. My Death Company smashed his Thunderwolves to pieces and the combined melta power of my Meltacide Squad and my Assault Marines took down one of the Knights. My Storm Raven stripped his flyer down to 1 Hullpoint before it shot back and crashed my Raven to the ground. My Knight ran up to his second Knight and they gave each other the high five of death. The resulting double catastrophic explosions killed pretty much everything I had left, but it was so funny I didn’t mind. For the last 2 turns all I had left was 2 scouts, but as they had great cover and went to ground with camo cloaks, he just couldn’t shoot them off the table and his units were too far away to charge them. At the end of the game we had the same number of objective points, so it came down to a draw.

Game number 3 was an absolute ClusterFunk. I was playing against a Necron list and I really just couldn’t even touch it. The guy I was playing against was really nice and I’m ashamed to say I was probably a bit stroppy with him. My dice rolls were absolutely abysmal, for instance I roll 8 saves for my death company and got 7 1’s and a 2. My Knight was glanced to death before it could get a shot off. By the end of turn two he has killed pretty much everything I had and I had killed all of 3 Necron warriors. Re-rolling hits, wounds, saves and reanimation protocols is horrific. He ended up smashing my entire army into the floor, and I concede turn 2 with 0 points to his 6. I shook his hand and apologised for not giving him a better game. This is the 3rd time I have played the new Necron codex and the third time I have been utterly demolished. I HATE Necrons.

Game number four was a real laugh. I played against a very pleasant Dark Eldar player, and despite some rather bad tactical decisions on my part, I just managed to eek out a very narrow victory. He had the usual Dark Eldar nastiness, buttloads of Venoms and Raiders and tonnes of low AP stuff. My Imperial Knight didn’t last long, but his catastrophic explosion wrecked quite a few of his transports and the Hurricane Bolters on my Storm Raven made short work of the Elves inside. Again the Death Company proved very hard to shut down and they wrecked a lot of face, but sadly my Assault Squad got shot up quite badly leaving my Priest HQ with one wound. The game ended with the Dark Eldar on the back foot, but we had equal Objective points and secondary Obective points. Fortunately I had scored my “Secret Vanquish Mission” for this game (Kill his Warloard and Protect my own) so that was a Minor Victory for the Blood Angels.

The last game was a blast and a really great way to finish off a long weekend of gaming. My opponent ran a Grey Knights List with an Imperial Knight Ally. My guys spent almost this entire game running for their lives. My poor death company had several hilariously encounters with exploding vehicles, at one point a Crash and Burn result on my opponents Storm Raven dropped it squar on the Death Companies head. The DC squad were unharmed and decided to head towards the Grey Knight Landraider that was near by. The Land Raider also exploded before they could get close enough to charge.
Another memorable moment was my Stromraven successfully making a 4+ jink save 7 times in a row before finally running out of hull points. I lost this game 6 points to 10, so only a minor defeat, but we had such a good laugh I didn’t mind loosing at all.

So there we have it, my first tournament experience and I must say it was a very pleasurable one. I would definitely recommend Bristol Vanguard to anyone who is looking to break into the tourney scene.  

Dude! I tried looking out for you!

Edit: we must of been close to playing each other as I finished 47...!

I came over and watched your (I think) 4th game against those awesome bright yellow Tyranids.

I didnt say hi becasue you looked like you were really focused killing a big spider looking thing. :D

Sorry, it was the second game, I remeber because it was just after lunch. Was on a big snowy table?

I played against the Lord of Skulls Knight on a big industrial table with lots of buildings, so that wasnt me. >_<

I've recently established my own little gaming community and we are starting off with a 1000 point gaming league. The main theme for the league is that everyone takes a list that really captures the spirit of their chosen army.

There's 9 of us, everyone plays everyone else once. Every game is Hammer and Anvil, Maelstrom of War, and the lists must be battle forged. No Super heavies. Must use the same list for all 9 games.

I'm not that fussed about competitiveness, although that being said I don’t want to get tabled by turn 2 every game.

Other players are going with:

Space Wolf - Arjak and all TDA Units.

Orks - Potential all grot Army (sounds hilarious).

Dark Eldar - Raiding Party.

Daemons - Nurgle Themed with cultists and Sorcerers.

Chaos - Khone Marines with Daemons.

Guard - Lots of troops and a tank line.

I haven’t had conformation from the others yet.

With that in mind, how would you guys go about creating a purely fluffy BA strike force?

What units do you think really epitomise the Blood Angels as a chapter?

Archived