Master of Mankind...on the horizon?

b1soul

How do you do the ignore thing on here anyway?

The plot thickens..

Also, Master of Mankind is one of the most anticipated books for me. Would love to see Chris get in (more) on the action too. I do think the book should've been called "Beyond The Golden Throne", though. (Maybe that's it's subtitle? Should be. [As it was the big revelation of the whole 'revised' Heresy. That and Ferrus. I don't have a good reason other than that & it's cool. But MoM!])

That said, I'm trying not to overhype it. Aaron's a talentless hack anyway, so it'll probably be just as bad and tedious as that other one's 'Path of Heaven' nonsense.

Imagine not being excited by a novel that has interactions with the mighty Emperor?!?

Joking aside, I'm fine with that. I don't crave/need hype, or whatever else. There are totally going to be people with no interest in it, and that's all good with me. There'll be plenty of people that hate the book, too. Also all good.

But repeated aggressive/mystified tones with anything that don't comply with one poster's specific preferences get a bit, like, tiresome. They add nothing but bile.

Imagine not being excited by a novel that has interactions with the mighty Emperor?!?

Joking aside, I'm fine with that. I don't crave/need hype, or whatever else. There are totally going to be people with no interest in it, and that's all good with me. There'll be plenty of people that hate the book, too. Also all good.

But repeated aggressive/mystified tones with anything that don't comply with one poster's specific preferences get a bit, like, tiresome. They add nothing but bile.

I feel Primarchs are hard enough to write for how different is it to write about the Emperor? Its not like we have a huge amount of information about him so anything you add is totally fresh ground regardless on whether you are forwarding the series like some DEMAND!!!!!.

I am looking forward to seeing a bigger story set in the Palace, but I hope we don't see anything from the emperor's or Malcador's perspective. They are people that inspire awe in basically everyone they meet and having their point of view will lessen that sense which I think would be a shame.

But ADB has a good track record with some of the best books in the Heresy so I am not worried.

The Primarchs should be difficult to write for because they are not Human at all. They are creations. The Emperor is meant to be Human at the very least. Presumably he was actually born somewhere no matter how long ago it was.

This to me means that He should be easier to write for (even in a disconnected fashion) rather than writing for what is essentially a separate species of Daemon/Genetics.

Just take a deep breath, and remember

"Away kit"

So...since MoM is being printed...man, am I excited.

Heard from ADB that Blood Angels (or a Blood Angel) are back in the mix

Custodes galore

The Emp is shown from multiple perspectives

Maybe even some insight into Malcador?

We will see how it all will turns out. Right now there are absolutely no reasons to be so glad - cause from the storywise point of view that's book about nothing and will not move the main plot anywhere near the Siege of Terra like Path of Heaven or Praetorian of Dorn did

I've never understood some folks' obsession with "moving the plot forward" anyway.

For one thing, what does that even mean? Does it mean advancing the timeline? That's something very difficult to judge (since we knew so little of the events between Isstvan and Terra) and doesn't work well in a series which has jumped forward and back since the beginning. While it does have a general progression chronologically, it's never been straightforward. Telling stories about particular characters/organisations seems to fit better, more of an "advancing the story" rather than "advancing the plot", but this is something that is much harder to level as a criticism at a novel about the Custodes/Sisters of Silence/Webway War, all things we've seen very little of generally.

Even if you -do- define what that frequently tossed around yet never really defined phrase means, why is it a judge of quality? What does "advancing the plot" or "getting to Terra" have to do with how good a story is? A good book is a good book, maybe it matters more to some, but I'm in this to enjoy the series and read books about cool characters and events in an interesting part of the 40K universe's history.

Praetorian of Dorn spoiler.

I agree, advancing the plot isn't the bench mark of quality. I really enjoyed PoD and found the descriptions of Sol on a war footing to be great. I was less keen on Alpharius' death. Not because it was poorly written and, yes, it definitely brought the plot forward. But as others have pointed out in the PoD thread, moving the plot forward with Alpharius' death has closed the door on the interesting Alpharius/Omegon subplot.

How that's relevant to MoM: yeah it's about time we saw something significant about the Emperor. But we don't need to see him push things forward as much as we need to immerse ourselves into his character. Big E and Malcador could be getting lunch at a cafe talking about how dogs have more character than pigs for all I care, as long as we get a feel for what makes them tick.

So...since MoM is being printed...man, am I excited.

Heard from ADB that Blood Angels (or a Blood Angel) are back in the mix

Custodes galore

The Emp is shown from multiple perspectives

Maybe even some insight into Malcador?

We will see how it all will turns out. Right now there are absolutely no reasons to be so glad - cause from the storywise point of view that's book about nothing and will not move the main plot anywhere near the Siege of Terra like Path of Heaven or Praetorian of Dorn did

I've never understood some folks' obsession with "moving the plot forward" anyway.

I can absolutely understand some people's impatience to get to Terra, etc. But like you said, there's a danger of mistaking any timeline progression as The Only Progress. 

I mean, HeritorA is well known for a certain attitude around these parts, but there's no way to genuinely say that the novel about the Emperor, the Custodians, the Sisters of Silence, the Webway, and the Emperor's plans for the species is "about nothing" and "will not move the main plot forward". There comes a time when you're not keeping it real by checking people's enthusiasm - and that time is when you're saying there's "absolutely no reason to be so glad" when other people happen to like the idea of a book that you don't.

A book that, let's remember, no one knows next to anything about yet, anyway. At that point you're not even shooting down someone's enthusiasm, you're attacking the fact they dared speculate and be excited by what might be in it. Attacking that is a weird attitude of not quite being moddable for crappy behaviour, but still deeply hostile and essentially nonsense.  

Black Cohort, on 06 Sept 2016 - 2:58 PM, said:

I am looking forward to seeing a bigger story set in the Palace, but I hope we don't see anything from the emperor's or Malcador's perspective.

I also hope this, for the series in general. Nothing in The Master of Mankind is from the Emperor's (or Malcador's) POV. I stuck to that from concept to final draft.

ADB Speaking of the inclusion of things red and lethal - is it too much to hope for 'CHOOOM' in print...?

It's in my final draft. I don't know if it saw print, but I can take a screenie of where it is in the Word.doc once the book is out, for delicious proof. 

If the Bangels are in Terra in MoM it does advance the plot. They aren't there in PoD.

If the Bangels are in Terra in MoM it does advance the plot. They aren't there in PoD.

Although if there's only 1, he could be there for a different reason and the main Blood Angels force isn't yet. But yeah if the main force is it's advanced the timeline.

Although if there's only 1, he could be there for a different reason and the main Blood Angels force isn't yet. But yeah if the main force is it's advanced the timeline.

Naw, Zephon is in the Crusader Host. 

Or, rather, was. 

Interestingly, the number of times I've tried to get the Blood Angels usable elsewhere in the HH over the years is, like, a really big number. I originally wanted Betrayer to be about Khârn and the World Eaters against Amit and Blood Angels (specifically, many proto-Flesh Tearers), f'rex. The reuniting of that brotherhood, from the fighting pits. 

But it is what it is. We're in a good spot now, and I'm really happy that I got to write about one of them. Zephon's not a main character, but he's an important one.

Archived