Master of Mankind...on the horizon?

b1soul

If the Bangels are in Terra in MoM it does advance the plot. They aren't there in PoD.

If the Bangels are in Terra in MoM it does advance the plot. They aren't there in PoD.

Although if there's only 1, he could be there for a different reason and the main Blood Angels force isn't yet. But yeah if the main force is it's advanced the timeline.

Naw, Zephon is in the Crusader Host.

Or, rather, was.

Interestingly, the number of times I've tried to get the Blood Angels usable elsewhere in the HH over the years is, like, a really big number. I originally wanted Betrayer to be about Khârn and the World Eaters against Amit and Blood Angels (specifically, many proto-Flesh Tearers), f'rex. The reuniting of that brotherhood, from the fighting pits.

But it is what it is. We're in a good spot now, and I'm really happy that I got to write about one of them. Zephon's not a main character, but he's an important one.

Thwarted again :(

I for one can't wait for this book. The first GW book to really be about the Emperor. I'd say the pressure to get it right must be enormous. While there has been a fair bit of padding this can't be said to be it. Besides we know what happens next. Emperor Meets Primarch, family reunion is not joyful.

Although if there's only 1, he could be there for a different reason and the main Blood Angels force isn't yet. But yeah if the main force is it's advanced the timeline.

Naw, Zephon is in the Crusader Host.

Or, rather, was.

Interestingly, the number of times I've tried to get the Blood Angels usable elsewhere in the HH over the years is, like, a really big number. I originally wanted Betrayer to be about Khârn and the World Eaters against Amit and Blood Angels (specifically, many proto-Flesh Tearers), f'rex. The reuniting of that brotherhood, from the fighting pits.

But it is what it is. We're in a good spot now, and I'm really happy that I got to write about one of them. Zephon's not a main character, but he's an important one.

Thwarted again sad.png

I for one am happy this didnt happen...anything so awesome occuring would have had me building yet another 30k army...

Really interested in how Zephon is incorporated into the story...

Feel ignorant for saying this...but was not familiar with the Crusader Host concept. Did some research (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Crusader_Host), and I really like the idea.

Also...I wouldn't mind something from Malc's perspective.

I had to look it up too haha.

This feels like it will be such a blast to read! ADB, you've been one of my favourite authors ever since I fell in love with Uzas in Blood Reaver - so you have my full confidence that this book will entertain at least me in some level! If not the plot, then your prose!

I really hope we will get some scene about the Emperor before the Heresy breaks out, and can glimpse something of his paternal side with his sons. The tragedy of the Heresy feels so much stronger when we get an opportunity to see the unbroken dreams of the main players!

I hope that this story includes a scene with The Emperor over his cooker and just putting the finishing touches to a recipe when Malcador walks in interrupting him and he knocks it all over the floor.

"Malcador! You dare ruin my Great Works!!!"

So...since MoM is being printed...man, am I excited.

Heard from ADB that Blood Angels (or a Blood Angel) are back in the mix

Custodes galore

The Emp is shown from multiple perspectives

Maybe even some insight into Malcador?

We will see how it all will turns out. Right now there are absolutely no reasons to be so glad - cause from the storywise point of view that's book about nothing and will not move the main plot anywhere near the Siege of Terra like Path of Heaven or Praetorian of Dorn did

I've never understood some folks' obsession with "moving the plot forward" anyway.

I can absolutely understand some people's impatience to get to Terra, etc. But like you said, there's a danger of mistaking any timeline progression as The Only Progress.

I mean, HeritorA is well known for a certain attitude around these parts, but there's no way to genuinely say that the novel about the Emperor, the Custodians, the Sisters of Silence, the Webway, and the Emperor's plans for the species is "about nothing" and "will not move the main plot forward". There comes a time when you're not keeping it real by checking people's enthusiasm - and that time is when you're saying there's "absolutely no reason to be so glad" when other people happen to like the idea of a book that you don't.

A book that, let's remember, no one knows next to anything about yet, anyway. At that point you're not even shooting down someone's enthusiasm, you're attacking the fact they dared speculate and be excited by what might be in it. Attacking that is a weird attitude of not quite being moddable for crappy behaviour, but still deeply hostile and essentially nonsense.

Sometimes I could be that way biggrin.png Moon cycle and Tormageddon ghost you know.

Heard from ADB that Blood Angels (or a Blood Angel) are back in the mix

Just one.

Zephon isn't a main character, but he's certainly around a fair bit.

And he would be a cool POV no doubt about that

Black Cohort, on 06 Sept 2016 - 2:58 PM, said:

I am looking forward to seeing a bigger story set in the Palace, but I hope we don't see anything from the emperor's or Malcador's perspective.

I also hope this, for the series in general. Nothing in The Master of Mankind is from the Emperor's (or Malcador's) POV. I stuck to that from concept to final draft.

ADB Speaking of the inclusion of things red and lethal - is it too much to hope for 'CHOOOM' in print...?

It's in my final draft. I don't know if it saw print, but I can take a screenie of where it is in the Word.doc once the book is out, for delicious proof.

Awesome biggrin.png

I think the potential for this book is pretty crazy and must have been an absolute nightmare to nail down. In terms of the HH ADB for me is seminal with the Traitors and at first i had no idea how this might work... hell at one point during a re-re-re-read of The First Heretic I had to remind myself that he is just very good at being impartial and showing the truth of the story from both sides... he doesn't hate the Emperor or the Imperials he's just done a great job at describing why the traitors do, and in some cases why they hate what they have become. To see his take on the flip side of the coin in a full novel will be quite the experience. I am expecting near polar opposite levels of zealotry which will be just as bile inducing as those of the Word Bearers... but if we can get nearly half as much lore exploration, timeline and character development as The First Heretic gave us then holy pigging moly I'm ready for it... gimme with both barrels!!

Good stuff! I see you mentioned the Ork almost strangling the big E. I always felt that the Emperor allowed this in order to test Horus. But maybe like the multitudes of the imperium I'm seeing the Emperor I want to see. :) I'm looking forward to all the views and rationale for his actions that characters come up with in this book!

And arrived Just as the Emperor was fighting the biggest baddest ork? Possibly. But its a huge coincidence. I look it at it like God coming into the garden of eden and saying "Adam, wear art thou?" Of course He knows. But it is a test. 

In this case Horus passed the test. Luther failed his. Horus acted without doubt to save the Emperor despite knowing that he would probably inherit everything.

I'm not looking for a definite answer. The ambiguity is fun and thats all I want -- ambiguity.

Sorry about referencing something that you said in 2014. I had a lot of tabs opened and thought it was connected to this thread.

And arrived Just as the Emperor was fighting the biggest baddest ork? Possibly. But its a huge coincidence. I look it at it like God coming into the garden of eden and saying "Adam, wear art thou?" Of course He knows. But it is a test. 

In this case Horus passed the test. Luther failed his. Horus acted without doubt to save the Emperor despite knowing that he would probably inherit everything.

I'm not looking for a definite answer. The ambiguity is fun and thats all I want -- ambiguity.

Sorry about referencing something that you said in 2014. I had a lot of tabs opened and thought it was connected to this thread.

Well, it's safe to say the Emperor is very very killable. Since he died. So I can see a huge enough mass of big bad Orks doing the job. After all, he wears an armor, he wields a sword.

Well, it's safe to say the Emperor is very very killable. Since he died. So I can see a huge enough mass of big bad Orks doing the job. After all, he wears an armor, he wields a sword.
Emps is not dead. Heretic.

Emps is not dead. Heretic.

Dead and his rotting corpse put on a throne biggrin.png

Said "corpse" is capable of blasting psychic power throughout the galaxy. Of course, he has backup dancers to help him.

Well yeah the Emperor could die. I never said that he couldn't and didn't mean to imply that he couldn't (sorry for the double negatives). But IMO there is a difference between super Ork and the flesh of the Emperor roided up on the power of the four chaos gods.

He wears armor because that is the part he wishes to play. Corax describes him as being way heavier than he appears.

I don't envy having to describe a being that is paradoxically an immortal superbeing and rotting corpse in a novel. unsure.png

Said "corpse" is capable of blasting psychic power throughout the galaxy. Of course, he has backup dancers to help him.

Well yeah the Emperor could die. I never said that he couldn't and didn't mean to imply that he couldn't (sorry for the double negatives). But IMO there is a difference between super Ork and the flesh of the Emperor roided up on the power of the four chaos gods.

He wears armor because that is the part he wishes to play. Corax describes him as being way heavier than he appears.

I don't envy having to describe a being that is paradoxically an immortal superbeing and rotting corpse in a novel. unsure.png

Yeap - for future Emperor in W40K novel prologue written by Dan Abnett, part 1 by Graham McNeil, part 2 by James Swallow, part 3 by A D-B, epilogue by Chris Wraight biggrin.png

What we have to keep in mind is that the Emperor isn't omnipotent nor omniscient. He is far from perfect since he is reponsible for quite a few of his sons turning on him.

And that's awesome. The Emperor is just some kind of monster (latin monstrum, the one we point the finger at, the one that is different) that just fails at being understood by "lesser" beings like humans, let alone create bonds with them. And that's what is behind the tragedy of Malcador's death and Horus' rebellion. The two beings he loved the most, the two he considered true friends, the two he could open to and feel understood by. The Emperor is so very alone.

And I like to think he united Terra not because of his love of Mankind, but out of boredom. Boredom and anguish at finding its place in the universe.

Archived