Master of Mankind...on the horizon?

b1soul

so this is the book where they reveal the emperor is actually one of the lost primarchs, right?

Nope biggrin.png Second and 11th are forbidden by 'Lorekeapers' biggrin.png And Emperor is not a God - he is a weakling! Why even bother with a novel about him biggrin.png

Advanced copies come out usually a month before widespread release, correct?

depends on a company review/advertisement policy - it could be month, week, even a day before release. But I think Roomsky and A D-B are great friends - so Roomsky will definitely get a heads on copy for his sanitarium/sewers uses biggrin.png

Need. Spoilers. Now.

I say this with complete seriousness, not being entirely sure what the "clues" mentioned might be, that if you know the lore about the Emperor and the Webway from Horus Heresy: Collected Visions, then you have over 90% of the spoilers for the novel. 

The people that hate this book the most will be the "reading the novels for information" types (especially on /tg/) who won't find immense revelations on the exact indisputable origins of the Emperor, or how Custodians are made, or anything like that. That's the kind of stuff that I directly avoided saying.

I didn't rewrite the history of the Night Lords in the Night Lords Trilogy. I didn't change up Armageddon in Heslreach or redefine the World Eaters with loads of secrets revealed in Betrayer. I tend to look at The Master of Mankind in those terms. Illuminating things on the ground level, through characters' eyes, not rewriting the event itself.

(...though, yes, there's a lot about the Emperor in it.)

depends on a company review/advertisement policy - it could be month, week, even a day before release. But I think Roomsky and A D-B are great friends - so Roomsky will definitely get a heads on copy for his sanitarium/sewers uses biggrin.png

Much as I would like to be a part of some secret league of community elites, who's back-alley meetings with BL authors grant them hidden insight and advanced copies, I fear that is not the case. I'm just a fan who's happy enough having interacted in some small way with his favorite author.

Heck, I don't even live in Europe.

The people that hate this book the most will be the "reading the novels for information" types (especially on /tg/)

I wouldn't worry too much about the neckbeards on /tg/. They are contrarians by nature and will always find things to complain/sperg out about. Most of them don't read or buy the novels anyway. Also they are way to busy with proving that Magnus/Perturabo/Curze... did nothing wrong..

The people that hate this book the most will be the "reading the novels for information" types (especially on /tg/)

I wouldn't worry too much about the neckbeards on /tg/. They are contrarians by nature and will always find things to complain/sperg out about. Most of them don't read or buy the novels anyway. Also they are way to busy with proving that Magnus/Perturabo/Curze... did nothing wrong..

As much as I love /tg/, it's taken a downturn the last few years with the rest of its parent site. But that's OT, so I'll shut up now.

Much as I would like to be a part of some secret league of community elites, who's back-alley meetings with BL authors grant them hidden insight and advanced copies, I fear that is not the case. I'm just a fan who's happy enough having interacted in some small way with his favorite author.

No, but give me your address anyway. I've had an [EXPLETIVE DELETED] year and I very much appreciated your covers, so I'd love to send you a copy when I get my author copies in a while.

As much as I love /tg/, it's taken a downturn the last few years with the rest of its parent site. But that's OT, so I'll shut up now.

No, but give me your address anyway. I've had an [EXPLETIVE DELETED] year and I very much appreciated your covers, so I'd love to send you a copy when I get my author copies in a while.

I think my heart just exploded.

I want to read MoM because I want a good yarn

We all kno how the HH ends

The fun is the ride itself

yup emperor dies, horus is injured uses his chaos magik and put on the throne by old Mr Dorn... Malcadors like.. heh thats not the boss, Horus gives him the old into dust spell Ahriman taught him and the laughter of the dark gods is heard for the next 10k years ;)

I want to read MoM because I want a good yarn

We all kno how the HH ends

The fun is the ride itself

yup emperor dies, horus is injured uses his chaos magik and put on the throne by old Mr Dorn... Malcadors like.. heh thats not the boss, Horus gives him the old into dust spell Ahriman taught him and the laughter of the dark gods is heard for the next 10k years msn-wink.gif

You, Sir, are talking out of yer Eye of Terror ;)

I have not been so.... terrified to read a novel since Guilliman.

I have met David Annandale and I really liked him. We talked at length about his Betrayal at Calth works and Deathwatch but I didn't want to talk about Guilliman but I found myself confessing I would simply be comparing everything he wrote to Dan Abnett. (To this day I have not read it.)

Perhaps it's kind of weird to say that because the only fiction of the Emperors personality that ever stuck with me was a short story written by Graham McNeil where the Emperor befriends a holy man whose church he is burning down, and he wants to know the holy man's motivations. ( it turns out they met before, ironically.) It's a great personal piece in my opinion.

Other than that the rest is my personal baggage I've carried around from all the vagueness surrounding his scenes in the HH novels. (In many ways I find the Emperor is written about in a way that most authors used to write about the Primarchs. - kind of like 'I have no idea how he acts so I'll restrict his scenes to big speeches given through Malcador.) But here we have ADB giving the first 'real' voice to the Emperor and that will open the flood gates just like it did with Primarchs. Now that's pressure.

I remember saying once before I often think of the author of the Hannibal Lecter series, Thomas Harris (highly recommended). When asked about the difficulties in writing about Hannibal Lecter he said the greatest challenge was in writing about someone vastly more intelligent than yourself....someone capable of many things you can't relate to or conceive of.

I think the comparison is similar.

So I'm excited, but almost nervous at the same time. Lol

It may seem silly to say but I know most of us are in the same boat. We read and eat this stuff up. Now it's that time where someone pulls the curtain back and we see who's been sitting at the controls, pulling all the levers. ;)

Dare I say it, but I liked Thorpe's Emperor character in DL. 

The Last Church was ok fiction. But the Emperor's religious argument is weak IMO and made too many comparisons that came too close to our universe which makes it a not a good topic for discussion in the B&C.

If anyone can do this properly and with respect for the setting its ADB, I literally would trust nobody else with this topic.

Oh and I just noticed that the art is spot on for the Custodes and Sister.

I'd put cash down now that that is what the Emperor will look like once he gets a model. :D

Need. Spoilers. Now.

I say this with complete seriousness, not being entirely sure what the "clues" mentioned might be, that if you know the lore about the Emperor and the Webway from Horus Heresy: Collected Visions, then you have over 90% of the spoilers for the novel.

The people that hate this book the most will be the "reading the novels for information" types (especially on /tg/) who won't find immense revelations on the exact indisputable origins of the Emperor, or how Custodians are made, or anything like that. That's the kind of stuff that I directly avoided saying.

I didn't rewrite the history of the Night Lords in the Night Lords Trilogy. I didn't change up Armageddon in Heslreach or redefine the World Eaters with loads of secrets revealed in Betrayer. I tend to look at The Master of Mankind in those terms. Illuminating things on the ground level, through characters' eyes, not rewriting the event itself.

(...though, yes, there's a lot about the Emperor in it.)

A D-B thank you for such nice information, for being friendly with us and totally an awesome guy. Even through my reluctance (let's call it indisposition to the main heroes and location of the story) - I will still read it and get joy while reading it.

Not because I want to know how Custodians are made yada yada (that's exactly what I dodn't want) - but because you will give us an interesting story to read.

Thanks for being an amazing author.

Poor Poor you - it's a long road to redemption :)

Archived