Citadel paints in dropper bottles.

Redlead

But you don't get the same colour palette with Vallejo. People like / are used to the simple GW palette and it's hard to switch sometimes.

I couldn't switch to Privatter Press range (not sure what they were called) had the great idea for beginners: main colour - shade and highlight. So each colour had three tones.

Also, it's something people do ;) GW pots are rubbish, not sure why they are still using top access and not follow the trend of drop bottles.

I much prefer dropper bottles.  Color range isn't an issue with Vallejo - generally they have enough colors in their Game Color range.  At least for most purposes - specific colors mean I've got to use a Citadel color. 

Personally, I prefer P3 paints - they use a liquid pigment so they thin better and flow better.  Coverage and color saturation are superior.  Their only problems are the vinyl flip-top and the rather limited range of color options.  If they had as many colors as Citadel, in dropper bolltes like Vallejo, I'd use nothing but P3.

• 4 months later...
When I mixed a full pot of The Fang with a full pot of Eshin Grey to make my Space Wolves color, I thinned both pots some with flow improver and shook them up pretty well, it seemed to help clean the sides of the pots when they got poured, not as much got wasted (some still did though, obviously). That's about the best suggestion I could make to you for the transfer.

When I mixed a full pot of The Fang with a full pot of Eshin Grey to make my Space Wolves color, I thinned both pots some with flow improver and shook them up pretty well, it seemed to help clean the sides of the pots when they got poured, not as much got wasted (some still did though, obviously). That's about the best suggestion I could make to you for the transfer.

What kind of Flow Improver did you use when you done it? Im a noob to the hobby so I dont know anything about them

Most likely W&N Flow improver or Liquitex Flow Aid, you'd need the liquid version rather than the gel version though.

I used Vallejo Glaze Medium mixed with a little drying retarder and water to achieve the same effect.

I bought some dropper bottles and squeeze tubes to try and transfer some GW paint. It worked fairly well but you'll need to use a new tube for every color.

I didn't bother with pipettes or anything, just toothpicks to mix my thinner into the original pot and then carefully poured from pot to bottle.

Only had 2 spills and even then lost very little paint. Though I would advise protecting whatever you are doing the pouring over and for the eightfold's sake don't do it over your sink :lol:

Thanks Raz, I couldn't think what the squeeze tubes were actually called. I'm going to try the method presented in that article with the rest of my old paint. A sheet of paper is a lot cheaper than the pipettes.

There are some that are cheap and disposable.  If you get the kind that are intended for medical or chemical use, they're easy to clean.  Glass ones are best.  Just try not to draw in so much paint that it gets onto the bulb, and if it does, pop the bulb out and rinse it clean.

Sounds cheaper in the short run, but if you have to throw them out after each use, for the price of a couple packs you can have a permanent one.  I generally go with the best tools I can afford, as they make things easier and less expensive in the long run.  

You could also use a small funnel to pour from the pot into the dropper bottle, to prevent mess.

I think I'll be picking up a small funnel. What I'd need to spend to get pipettes to transfer my remaining paint, I could likely have a really nice one. And a funnel allows me to set up paint transfer and work on actually painting something at the same time.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone found good quality dropper bottles to recommend? I have the full GW set of colors for Christmas (160), and im considering undergoing the monumental task of moving them all to droppers. That being said, I have seen a lot of people critique build quality (mold issues, seal issues with threads, bottles that don't seal well, etc). Wondering if people have brands/vendors they can give a testimonial about before I make the investment of buying 100-200 dropper bottles (I don't mind spending an additional 20-50% to protect my investment!

• 2 weeks later...

Warcolours are doing 15ml droppers with safety caps, they're pretty nice bottles all told and I'm pretty sure you get discounts for bulk purchases www.Warcolours.com

Typed on phone so you might have to copypasta the link :lol:

Archived