Scylax Guardian Automata

I thought I saw a hint of volkite weaponry on a couple of the arms, but it may have just been the angle and they could be chain weapons. Keen to find out what these guys do. Are they unit attachments (a la apothecaries in the LACAL list, etc.), or are they a seperate unit?

I thought I saw a hint of volkite weaponry on a couple of the arms, but it may have just been the angle and they could be chain weapons. Keen to find out what these guys do. Are they unit attachments (a la apothecaries in the LACAL list, etc.), or are they a seperate unit?

Maybe unit attachment for Magos Dominos? Like robo-wraith-tyrant guard.

Maybe unit attachment for Magos Dominos? Like robo-wraith-tyrant guard.

Oooer, that would be nice.

• 4 weeks later...

here they are:

http://i.imgur.com/sScF9gnl.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/IIGBlRDl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DKRzESrl.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/VoG9iLgl.jpg

They came with additional bolter arms for all of them which in the construction manual are listed as optional to the chainblades and "hand" arms that I equipped them with.

There are also a bunch of different mechadendrites to choose from (2 more than needed), each with a different function (8x "interface", which is the green plug one, 3x "servo", 2x "chainblade", 1x "injector", 1x open and 1x closed "drill", 1x open and 1x closed "claw").

Base size is the new 30mm.

Still no rules -.- (gives me a bad feeling having them assembled already with leftover options, as the price is pretty steep)

From what I can tell, they look like they could work as servo-automata accompaning techpriest auxilia, but with more attacks. I wonder whether the mechadendrites will do anything.

Hopefully it'll be good enough to give me a reason to field them - but not in squads of 8-24 only sad.png(

• 3 weeks later...

experimental rules: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/S/scyllax.pdf

troops choice =)

infantry, 2W =/

cost a freakin' rhino per model (+extra armor base unit opportunity cost) =(

unit size 4-16. at that cost? ugh. =(

2 attacks, single AP5 melee weapon =(

allows for single S+2(=6) AP2 attack instead ("dismemberment") =)

(kraken) bolters are standart equip, although they gave them to none of the models LOL

become fearless when around battlesmiths, but special rad furnace rule reduces toughness of ALL models locked in the same combat, themselves immune to rad. funny.

cool model, cool concept, ruleswise: not that good, actually.

let's hope the skitarii codex next week has something for them to count-as. In any case, those will be my Ursarax models.

experimental rules: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/S/scyllax.pdf

troops choice =)

infantry, 2W =/

cost a freakin' rhino per model (+extra armor base unit opportunity cost) =(

unit size 4-16. at that cost? ugh. =(

2 attacks, single AP5 melee weapon =(

allows for single S+2(=6) AP2 attack instead ("dismemberment") =)

(kraken) bolters are standart equip, although they gave them to none of the models LOL

become fearless when around battlesmiths, but special rad furnace rule reduces toughness of ALL models locked in the same combat, themselves immune to rad. funny.

cool model, cool concept, ruleswise: not that good, actually.

let's hope the skitarii codex next week has something for them to count-as. In any case, those will be my Ursarax models.

Well they are experimental rules, so send FW your feedback and maybe they'll tweak the rules accordingly :)

They suffer Vorax syndrome. Where they just don't have enough attacks despite being a cc unit. FW needs to stop being so :cuss:ing stingy with handing out bonus attacks.

Also, they're terrible guardians (fluffwise and ruleswise) considering they leak radiation CONSTANTLY.

P.S. And before people start chanting "The flesh is weak!", look up the effects of radiation on electronics. Its just as bad for machines.

But if attached to someone on an Abeyant they may cancel out the +1 toughness when in hand to hand Vs instant death attacks putting them back where they started but as the majority of the unit will be T5 that's not as big an issue. Against shooting the Archmagos retains the T5 as the radiation effect is when locked in assault, retains the re-roll on saves vs templates and blasts and now got a heap of ablative wounds as well as a firepower and assault upgrade.

So as guardians i'm not so sure they are that bad.

I am surprised they haven't been given the servo-arm battlesmith assist bonus that servo-automata get, but as i put a machinator array and Macrotek on my Archmagos i have a 3+ with reroll. Allowing my Knight to get repaired quite a bit.

>WS3
>2x S5 at I3 or 1x S6 I1 attack
>reduces Toughness on friendlies as well as enemies

What the hell? At least they're T5, otherwise they'd be utter trash. I'm still mystified. Ursarax are 1000000000% better and only 10pts more, Jump Infantry and don't compete with other Troops. Their Guardian rule is meaningless, we have Stubborn and Fearless galore. Kraken bolters, really? We have crazy laser and beamer weapons on everyone else..I shouldn't really complain, they could've given them laslocks. 

Why does FW make mistakes like this? Thallax and Ursarax are awesome, Castellax and Thanatar are awesome. Tech-Thralls are great at being cheap chaff, Myrmidons are both viable...I don't get it. Vorax should've been the wakeup call. 

To be fair, Myrmidons are much too expensive, Thallax would need a decent gun and all the non-independent characters are unplayable. FW rules are always hit or miss due to absolutely no playtesting at all.

Well, I happen to like myrmidon destructors even though they are a bit pricey. Thallax are very good - why do you dislike them. An I play Legio so I only get non-independent characters and have learnt how to use them well ( I want castallax as ObSec troops ). Unfortunately the rules for scyllax do not saty they can be included in a Legio list - doh. I guess because legio has no ICs? Not sure I would use them anyway.

Rules folk, now we have seen that the Skitarii Vanguard have a similar yet different radiation rule will they be complimentary?

as for the RAW they are, but I don't think they were designed to be used together. Scyllax are for 30K and Skitarii for 40K, so it was not in the intentions of the Games Designers to let them interact. 

We might see some tweaking to the Skitarii rule if Forge World ever releases a list to play them in the horus Heresy, but I don't see it very likely in the near future.

Rules folk, now we have seen that the Skitarii Vanguard have a similar yet different radiation rule will they be complimentary?

as for the RAW they are, but I don't think they were designed to be used together. Scyllax are for 30K and Skitarii for 40K, so it was not in the intentions of the Games Designers to let them interact. 

We might see some tweaking to the Skitarii rule if Forge World ever releases a list to play them in the horus Heresy, but I don't see it very likely in the near future.

I don't think we can know how much forgeworld and GW worked together on this so it's impossible to know if scyllax had vanguard in mind at all.... but it is possible. Certainly Skitarii were always going to show up eventually in Heresy and so i expect we'll see 30k lists for them from FW just as soon as they can.

scyllax and skitarii equip + special rules are pretty much equivalent: troops, rad saturation, relentless, move through cover, carapace armor, kraken bolters/galvanic rifles, servitor protocols/doctrina imperatives (don't know exactly yet, but this is my guess). tougher stats though - it's like they glued together a ranger and a vanguard.

the skitarii discussion brought up something that might revalue scyllax, too: friendly models cannot be locked in combat with each other, so the rad poisoning only ever affects enemies. Much better. still too expensive.

Yeah, skitarii vanguard are much better considering they're 9 points a piece. I can bring 4 times more skirarii vanguard then I can bring guardians, and 3 times as many rangers.

You bring up an interesting point about friendly models involved iin the same combat aren't considered locked in combat with each other. That would change my perspective on guardians.

Archived