Dantioch

That's a fine look for one of Perturabo's sons. Very plain and functional - I like it. 

As for the trademark chevrons of the IV Legion, I would keep it to a minimum and use it only to break up the monotony - a shoulder/knee pad here and there, but no further. 

Since you wanted to do Death Guard in the first place, I would assume that you are pretty decent at weathering. That would be a great way to give each Legionary some character - mud on the boots and greaves, battle damage to the armor, etc. 

That's a fine look for one of Perturabo's sons. Very plain and functional - I like it.

As for the trademark chevrons of the IV Legion, I would keep it to a minimum and use it only to break up the monotony - a shoulder/knee pad here and there, but no further.

Since you wanted to do Death Guard in the first place, I would assume that you are pretty decent at weathering. That would be a great way to give each Legionary some character - mud on the boots and greaves, battle damage to the armor, etc.

Thanks, yeah I'm keeping the chevrons to a minimum due to a mix of not liking the look of them being plastered with chevrons and they're murder to paint haha

Not done any weathering at all actually but I have bought some weathering powders and the ak interactive streaking kit but I'm still practising using them on some test models so I can get them looking right before I try them on my Iron Warriors. If anyone could offer any help in using these products I would appreciate it smile.png

I appreciate the compliments I've been watching your World Eaters since before I started posting and they look excellent, brother!

Thank you!

I use the same FW weathering powder set. To simulate a rust/dirty effect (especially on metallic surfaces such as an engine), I simply dust them on in layers. For example, dark iron as the first layer, aged rust as the second, and light rust as the third. 

If I were to manipulate the weathering powder as it has been applied to the model, I use AK Interactive's white spirit. This can be used to create rust streaks and such. I do recommend dedicating a brush (or a set of brushes) to this task since weathering powder is very difficult to fully remove from brushes. 

Finally, get yourself a bottle of AK Interactive's engine oil. This is an oil-based paint (again, dedicate a brush to it) and works very well to simulate a greasy, used look. I would apply it to a Legionary's backpack vents, for example. 

Good luck and have fun! The good thing about weathering is that you are given a good amount of room for error. 

Still waiting on my order from FW due to the delay with the Deredeo shipping but I have a few ideas for how I want to pose it. Has anyone assembled one yet if so how was it?

Anyway here is a quick wip of the next legionary before I apply the washes, enjoy!

Thanks biggrin.png

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah131/Dantioch/IW%20WIPP%203_zpswphho3hd.jpg

Iron within! This threads got cool little ideas for IW, I've been mooching as my eddy only showed yesterday, and he looks easy to build, is easy to magnetise, and this has been confirmed by others. Will keep popping in here, may sway me to make some IW again

Thanks for comments everyone really appreciate it! With the Tigrus bolter my thought process behind it is that I think every Legionary would have their own preference so I'm trying to place several different bolter marks throughout the tactical marines to add some variety. I'm not entirely sure but the Tigrus seems to be a newer pattern so I'm was trying to reinforce the idea that the Traitors got all the new equipment from Horus. Then again everyone has different tastes but I appreciate your comments and views biggrin.png

The only criticism I might have is that the black helmet on the floor looks a bit flat... The IW himself is superb.

Thanks,Yeah definitely agree with you. I'm thinking of going back and adding some battle damage and such to the helmet

Should be posting more WIP shots tonight.

Glory to the IVth!

Great mini Dantioch! Its nice to see a bit of variation in your Iron Warriors army as many people only stick to Phobos Pattern Bolters, also I love the bit of personalisation on the model (the knee pad and helmet).

Keep it up, your work is really encouraging!

I'd take the side that's black and just do it bare metal. Would probably make the side with hazard stripes pop a bit more as well.

I did think about that but I didn't want to much silver so I used some black to break it up biggrin.png

Great mini Dantioch! Its nice to see a bit of variation in your Iron Warriors army as many people only stick to Phobos Pattern Bolters, also I love the bit of personalisation on the model (the knee pad and helmet).

Keep it up, your work is really encouraging!

Thanks again! It's great hearing someone say this because when I started this army I wanted every Legionary I paint to be a unique character. When I read the Horus Heresy novels and when I saw the artwork in FW books I imagined that every marine in each Legion is a hero in its own right from lowliest ( not quite lowly haha) tactical legionary to the Legion commanders laugh.png

As a man of the other Iron blokes, I'm offended by this. As a non-fictional person in the real world, I'm impressed by this. It's crossing all my wires. Look at you, mixin' me up.

Iron? Oh yeah the other "Legion" that's composed of a slightly weaker Iron msn-wink.gif

Anyway thanks a lot Raktra, your Iron hands are awesome. Just realised I wasn't subscribed to your thread just rectified that biggrin.png

Off to a great start on your legion, really digging the half striped helmet as well while still keeping things simple. I see the IW as a very "functional" army and yours fit that character perfectly. Keep up the good work!

Haven't got as much done as I would like this weekend hobby wise but I have been thinking of adding some fluff to accompany my Iron Warriors so keep an eye out for that! My FW order is still "awaiting packing" unfortunately. 

But here's what I'll be working on after I have made some more progress on my Legion forces. 

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah131/Dantioch/SA_zpstaaw7zak.jpg

Archived